The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DOS bluray question and review

book Gandalf
Rohan

Apr 7 2014, 2:22pm

Post #1 of 14 (929 views)
Shortcut
DOS bluray question and review Can't Post

i have a specific question regarding a certain scenes colours, as has already been mentioned below the blu ray colour scheme of the film is alot more noticable now you can watch it at home compared to the clips and trailers we are all familiar with.

first off im at peace with the storyline, it is what it is and no more moaning is going to change it, but what the hell is up with the crazy decisions on this color grade!

first- when bilbo is in erebor for the first time with smaug, its dull and dark, but when he puts the ring on smaug becomes a brighter shade of red and the gold more gold! and when he takes the ring off the smaug definitely becomes less red. why is this when every time bilbo or frodo has worn the ring the wraith world is clearly duller almost black and white

aside from smaugs enhanced redness with the ring, the film is clearly darkened up since the trailers and clips, shadows darkened, blu skys removed, colours changed,i understand this, but some of the colours are so garish and sickly it really didnt look right. in bree gandalf has a weird green orange colour, then straight after that with the company its purple, and its almost got a soft focus over the scene. the scenes in mirkwood and particularly dol guldor are so weirdly saturated , and they change between shots! there really seems to be no consistency, mirkwood seems to change colour.

i understand dos is de sharpened for hfr complaints, but it looks bad. i want sharp pictures that fit in with the other 4 films, but again its inconsistent, the opening seems soft then in some scenes like samug, its sharp.

its odd, i like the film more now, but hate how they have tinkered with odd colourings. i understand they want a 'darker' film but its like someone cross processed the film or something. sickly in many parts.

but please do take alook at smaug and the golds increased saturation with the ring, why is this?

something about these films has i think panicked the production, maybe its deadlines or pressure or just bad decisions, but we never have these inconsistencies with lotr/king kong /tin tin etc complete reworking of scenes, stroyline, characters, colours etc. what going on!! its a shame.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

(This post was edited by book Gandalf on Apr 7 2014, 2:27pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 7 2014, 6:52pm

Post #2 of 14 (409 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

"i understand they want a 'darker' film but its like someone cross processed the film or something. sickly in many parts."

I've felt like that through all of DOS, pretty much *sigh*. Which I took to be a deliberate action on the part of the filmmakers to 1) satisfy some complaints about AUJ being too highly colored and "not realistic" and 2) to give the movie a darker tone.

But I've feel all of DOS is pretty much overkill in the opposite direction. Sure, no-one liked the hyper-colored teal/orange mountain in the first trailer, but other than the too-tight editing the coloring in DOS is another of my complaints (I'm already hoping I can tweak the BR colors w. my TV controls). For me it gets so desaturated in many places it's actually a bit distracting and certainly monotonous, and I've never cared if the Hobbit movies "matched LOTR" or not - PJ & co. put more emphasis on that than I personally need.

So re Smaug and the gold, I think that's just an effect of the hyper-senses (more acute sight etc.) you get re wearing the Ring, and DOS is showing that. Anyway you are not the only one who thinks the desaturating went too far, and in some places watching the neat comparison video of trailer and BR I just flinch, because I think the colors look worse in the final cut, not better. And I liked the AUJ coloring. Hopefully I can boost things a bit w. my own system, to more of my liking. But no system can work with information that just isn't there. But not to be too negative, as I love DOS and can't wait for my BR set.

book Gandalf
Rohan

Apr 7 2014, 7:37pm

Post #3 of 14 (350 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

So re Smaug and the gold, I think that's just an effect of the hyper-senses (more acute sight etc.) you get re wearing the Ring, and DOS is showing that.

but comparing that to the spider sequence when bilbo puts on the ring, and n AUJ with gollum, the colours immediately desaturate to almost nothing, its quite clear. but with the smaug sequence its the opposite? very strange

Thranderz
Rohan

Apr 7 2014, 8:36pm

Post #4 of 14 (347 views)
Shortcut
I'm quite sure [In reply to] Can't Post

that Philippa Boyens said that they get darker in tone as they go alone. Apparently TABA will be practically the same tone as LOTR. I'll have to find the interview for you.

I simply walked into Mordor.

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 7 2014, 8:52pm

Post #5 of 14 (330 views)
Shortcut
physically or psychologically darker? [In reply to] Can't Post

*Sigh* I remember numerous comments on the darker tone the last 2 movies would take, which to me means of course you wouldn't want a hyper-rich perky color palette through the whole movie. It's just that in some sections, for me, there's a needless desaturation and the side-by-side comparison of trailer and BR accented that for me. And Smaug, as dragons go, to me is very, well, brown. Just brown, when I thought he'd be more reddish brown. Sometimes the characters just look grayed out, and I found myself wishing for more color, here and there.

On the other hand, perhaps that's exactly what the filmmakers intended, an almost visceral reaction to a rising sickness in ME. But frankly I thought they meant PSYCHOLOGICALLY darker, not let's give a lot of this movie a kind of subdued color cast.

book Gandalf
Rohan

Apr 7 2014, 8:58pm

Post #6 of 14 (324 views)
Shortcut
? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
that Philippa Boyens said that they get darker in tone as they go alone. Apparently TABA will be practically the same tone as LOTR. I'll have to find the interview for you.

unless you think she means the actual colour tone, then this statement has nothing to do with what ive written.

Faleel
Rohan

Apr 7 2014, 9:29pm

Post #7 of 14 (317 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

The colour palette and tone can go hand in hand sometimes..

book Gandalf
Rohan

Apr 7 2014, 9:37pm

Post #8 of 14 (309 views)
Shortcut
huh [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The colour palette and tone can go hand in hand sometimes..

yes of course, but again re read through my Original post , the guy im replying to is going off topic, as r u

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 7 2014, 9:50pm

Post #9 of 14 (308 views)
Shortcut
The 'guy' is not a guy. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
[yes of course, but again re read through my Original post , the guy im replying to is going off topic, as r u

book Gandalf
Rohan

Apr 7 2014, 9:55pm

Post #10 of 14 (294 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

does it matter

(This post was edited by book Gandalf on Apr 7 2014, 9:55pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 7 2014, 11:03pm

Post #11 of 14 (252 views)
Shortcut
Personal comments and insults have been edited out of this thread. [In reply to] Can't Post

Please keep to our Terms of Service and respond to the topic at hand, and not make disparaging comments about each other.

For the record: Tangents within a discussion are fine as that is the nature of discussions. Telling board members to not take a discussion down a side-path, however, is not appropriate as we don't condone stifling discussion on TORN.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Apr 7 2014, 11:44pm

Post #12 of 14 (247 views)
Shortcut
Throwing the baby out with the bathwater. [In reply to] Can't Post

As discussed in the other thread, there seems to have been a decision to desaturate, but also to remove blue - from skies but also from backgrounds/dark scenes, where it is replaced by teal or even a sickly green. The problem is that, apart from having become Hollywood's go-to background colour, teal is just not a normal part of the colour palette in natural environments - it just screams "film effect!" every time I see it overused like this. Blue, on the other hand, as in the original pre green-cast FOTR grading, is a colour that is both present in the natural environment and also has certain subconscious ideas associated with it - coldness, distance, night etc. Even when it is exaggerated, it lacks the sickly connotations of overdone, murky teal and teal-green.

Likewise, the lush foliage greens which are apparent in the trailer have largely been replaced with dull olive tones; this might be partly because some scenes have been put forward from summer to autumn, however the olive colour used is really more common in Mediterranean areas, and the loss of the true greens takes us away from temperate Europe. AUJ had beautiful greens and blues - see the sky behind Gandalf when he first turns up, or the grass/leaf colours as they leave the Shire.

I think that the film makers have tried to tone things down, in order to reflect darker deeds and themes, and the growing influence of Sauron - as in Mirkwood. I'm hoping that Bilbo's return home will see a return to the vibrant colour palette - important because Bilbo is not damaged by his adventure, and neither is the Shire - he is able to enjoy it much as he did before he left, and there is no sign of the darkening/dulling power of Sauron, or the effects of the ring on him - at least not for many years.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

book Gandalf
Rohan

Apr 8 2014, 12:04am

Post #13 of 14 (239 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

so how can we explain that the ring in bilbos encounter with smaug makes everything more colorful?

whats that about?

every ring world scene so far has been desaturated, almost black and white, just compare it to the spider sequence at the start.

i guess my point is that there is no consistency in this films style, it all seems a bit slap dash! its like a student got access to the colour grading suite and just went a bit mad. its badly executed, combined with odd soft focusing and heavy cgi background not really gelling, it confounds me they passed this film as it is.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Apr 8 2014, 1:45am

Post #14 of 14 (223 views)
Shortcut
No idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

May have to wait for the commentary in November to explain that one!

In Reply To
so how can we explain that the ring in bilbos encounter with smaug makes everything more colorful?

whats that about?

every ring world scene so far has been desaturated, almost black and white, just compare it to the spider sequence at the start.

i guess my point is that there is no consistency in this films style, it all seems a bit slap dash! its like a student got access to the colour grading suite and just went a bit mad. its badly executed, combined with odd soft focusing and heavy cgi background not really gelling, it confounds me they passed this film as it is.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.