**Unfinished Tales Discussion - The Palantiri
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 6 2014, 7:35am

Post #1 of 35 (3939 views)
Shortcut
**Unfinished Tales Discussion - The Palantiri Can't Post

Welcome to this discussion of the last Unfinished Tale (UT) in the book. It’s important to note that everyone and anyone is very welcome to participate, whether this is your first ever post, or your umpteenth.

This chapter is about the palantiri, the magical seeing stones of Numenor. In the next posts to this thread, I’ll try to start things up by commenting on the chapter and posing some questions . But this is not intended to limit the scope of this conversation - it should (and most likely will) wander into any area where anyone wants to ask a question about the chapter, or make a point.

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 6 2014, 7:36am

Post #2 of 35 (3767 views)
Shortcut
Palantiri starter 1: Narrative voice - Tolkien as narrator, editor, historian... [In reply to] Can't Post

In this ‘Tale’, I notice that Tolkien is writing as if he is some sort of historian: he tells us that things aren’t known, or are assumed, as well as using the author’s prerogative to tell us that things are so. The writing reads to me more like the work of a modern historian, aware of the contradictions and limitations of historical sources. I see that as being in contrast to the ‘chronicler’ approach taken in The Disaster of the Gladden Fields (at least until one comes to the note on sources section). And it is different again to the tone taken in other Unfinished Tales - e.g. The Quest of Erebor is presented as Frodo’s memo of a conversation with Gandalf and others. It feels different, yet again, from The Hobbit or LOTR, where Tolkien starts with a ‘framing device’ - he pretends to be in the position of Editor, and that we are reading a version of a book written by hobbits, which he has somehow obtained and prepared for a modern English-speaking audience. The situation in The Hobbit is further complicated by the voice of the ‘avuncular narrator’ who steps in to make asides (in the first half of the book, at least), and LOTR has a variety of narrative styles. I wrote a symposium piece about these effects in The Hobbit and LOTR (http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=668923#668923 ) so will try not to repeat myself here! But, especially as we come to the end of Unfinished Tales with this chapter, I thought we might want to discuss the various narrative positions (editor, chronicler, modern historian, storyteller) which Tolkien was choosing for the works in this collection: which of them work for you? Do you see them as different ways of telling the story? Is there an effect on ‘canon’ (should you feel that ‘canon’ is a useful concept): what I mean is, is Tolkien deliberately trying to step away from being the omnipotent narrator and therefore the source of true canonical knowledge about Middle-earth? If he is doing that, what does it achieve?

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 6 2014, 7:37am

Post #3 of 35 (3766 views)
Shortcut
Palantiri starter 2: Saruman and Denethor - tales of secrecy and jealousy [In reply to] Can't Post

We get some information (or informed speculation?) about the motives driving Denethor or Saruman to use the planantiri. I liked that Denethor’s initial motive might have been jealous of Gandalf, and his confederate, the disguised Aragorn. Perhaps a different kind of pride drives Saruman - he’s interested in secret knowledge and gadgets. I was left wondering whether some jealousy of Gandalf was also involved though: or at least a dangerous spirit of competitiveness, which led him to try to outmatch Gandalf by using the secret gadget he found in Orthanc....

Once Denethor and Saruman take the risk of using their stones, things work out both the same and different. Saruman no longer seeks to oppose Sauron’s victory; Denethor still opposes it but despairs.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts about the similarities and differences between Saruman and Denethor in all this.

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 6 2014, 7:39am

Post #4 of 35 (3763 views)
Shortcut
Palantiri starter 3: Palantirs, the Missing Manual - powers, limitations, and plot damage [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the Tale gives us information about what the palantiri could do (without, quite sensibly, attempting to get too mechanistic). I’m not completely sure I have understood this - or that it matters massively if I haven’t. But here is how I think it goes, for discussion and correction.

The palantiri can be used either as surveillance devices, or as a communication network for telepathic transfer of thoughts. Thoughts are rendered as, and so presumably have the limitations of, words. This might be an important point (as well as perhaps a characteristic one for a philologist to make?) Words, after all, can be ambiguous: one party could mislead the other either intentionally or inadvertently, in a way which might be difficult if the palantiri worked by a different kind of telepathy

As a surveillance device, the palantiri can theoretically see anything which is not in darkness. An unskilled user may have difficulty controlling what the device sees, and mastery is also needed to zoom in on details. I think the idea is that the master stone (which Denethor has at the time of LOTR) can survey in any direction, The other stones (in the possession of Sauron and Saruman) do not have all-round vision; I think they can only see in the direction back towards Minas Arnor.

As communications devices, any stone can communicate with any (so Sauron can communicate with Saruman without involving Denethor and his master stone). I find myself wondering whether Denethor knew that Saruman has a stone - and if so did they communicate with each other? For that matter, does Denethor know that Sauron has a Stone?

Sauron seems to have corrupted the network - in LOTR, Gandalf says/ speculates that Saruman can nowadays be compelled to use his stone. Also, it very clearly has a deadly temptation - Pippin sucumbs to this, Gandalf says he is tempted. From LOTR again, Sauron also seems to be able to exercise some control over Denethor’s seeing powers - he can’t get Denethor’s stone to show things that are not so, but he can mislead by influencing what Denethor does see.

We are told that a palantir-user’s success is partly determined by their right of use of the device: Kings of Gondor and their designated assigns and successors (such as the Stewards) do better, because in some way the stones sense that they are rightful users. This, for example, helps explain how Aragorn can wrest control of the Orthanc stone from Sauron, even though Aragorn is presumably not a match for Sauron in other areas.

I suppose it is beside the point to ask how a stone knows whether someone trying to use it is a rightful user or not, or indeed how they actually work...they most certainly works by the power of Phebotinim! (http://tvtropes.org/...n/AppliedPhlebotinum ).

One problem with Phlebotinum is that it tends to radiate a lot of plot-busting elementary particles. In this case, the plot of LOTR relies upon Sauron being misled about Gandalf’s plans. If Sauron knows that Frodo is trying to sneak into Mordor to destroy the Ring, he can simply deploy all forces to apprehend the pesky hobbit (as indeed Gandalf points out at one stage). So Sauron (and probably Saruman, and maybe Denethor) can’t be allowed to be ‘lurking’ at the Council of Elrond, or at other points where Frodo’s mission is discussed. Nor can they be allowed to get much accurate information about Frodo’s whereabouts (so that they can’t launch effective missions to capture him). I suspect that the limited field of view of most stones, and the handicapping effect of not being the rightful owner is intended to shield the rest of the plot from this.

At one point, interestingly, Tolkien has another game to play with the balance of powers and limitations: In this UT, we’re told that the chances were against Pippin setting up his stolen Orthanc stone just right to have the misfortune of being grilled by Sauron. Tolkien plays his nudge-nudge-wink-wink game with the idea of ‘chance’, leaving open that Pippin’s misadventure is directed by Higher Powers (perhaps as a useful tip-off to Gandalf?).

Comments please, if you have them, on whether the palantiri are problematic plot-busters, and also on whether the further explanation of them in this UT is helpful. Given that this is the last UT chapter, feel free to compare with other Unfinished Tales where Tolkien has added a lot more explanation: there have been several places in earlier chapters where we seem to have concluded that every answer raises yet more questions!

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 6 2014, 7:43am

Post #5 of 35 (3780 views)
Shortcut
Palantiri starter 4: The dangers of speculation [In reply to] Can't Post

I’ve posted a separate discussion-starter (http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=730202#730202 ) about the story-breaking and other technical issues about the palantiri. The technical limitations of the devices do, however, seem to be nothing compared with the problem arising from interpreting what is seen. Prof Tom Shippey (in The Road To Middle-earth) notes that Palantirs in LOTR consistently lead their users to draw the wrong conclusion:

[The palantiri] are used four times in Tolkien’s work, with a very consistent pattern. The first occasion is when Pippin picks up the palantir thrown from Orthanc by Grima, and later sneaks a look at it when Gandalf is asleep. In the stone, he sees Sauron, and Sauron sees him. But though Sauron sees Pippin, he draws from this a wrong conclusion, namely that Pippin is the Ring-bearer, and has been captured by Saruman, who now has the Ring. The next day Aragorn, who has been given the stone by Gandalf, deliberately shows himself in it to Sauron, and once again Sauron draws the wrong conclusion: namely that Aragorn has overpowered Saruman and that he is now the owner of the Ring. It is fear of this new power arising which makes Sauron launch his premature attack, and Gandalf indeed realises that this was all along Aragorn’s intention. Gandalf further surmises that it was the palantir which was Saruman’s downfall. As he looked in it, he saw only what Sauron allowed him to see, and once more drew the wrong conclusion, losing heart and deciding that resistance would be futile. Both Sauron and Saruman have allowed what they see in the Stones to guide their decisions, and what they have seen is true; but they have seen only fractions of the truth.

Prof Tom Shippey, The Road To Middle-earth 3e Appendix C

Prof Shippey goes on to consider Denethor’s use of the palantir, in a passage which is too long to quote and which I shall therefore summarize. Prof Shippey notes that on the 13 March, Faramir returns to base wounded, after Denethor’s tactical error in sending him out to defend Osgiliath. Denethor retires to his chamber, there is a flickering light, and when Denethor returns his face is ‘grey, more deathlike than his son’s’. Presumably he’s been at that palantir again! Later, as part of his despairing, suicidal speech, he tells Gandalf that he (Denethor) has seen the Black Fleet approaching, making it look like Minas Tirith will fall: there of course once more, he has drawn the wrong conclusion, because the Black Fleet will eventually bring Aragorn and his reinforcements to Minas Tirith, not the corsairs. But it appears that this is not all he’s seen: , looking at the timelines (as you can do too, using TORN.net’s handy calendar: http://www.theonering.net/...th-history-calendar/ which deserves a mention here! ), Prof Shippey argues that what has rattled Denethor so is another event of March 13th: he has seen Frodo’s captured by the orcs. Already knowing, from Faramir, that Frodo had the Ring, Denethor yet again draws the wrong conclusion, and assumes Sauron now has the Ring, and that further resistance is useless.

[Must now stop writing “ the wrong conclusion” in italics, fun though it is...]

So much for the dangers of speculation: as Prof Shippy comments “Speculating in the old sense (looking into crystal balls) is inevitably disastrous in Tolkien’s fictional world.”

What do you think of this Prof Shippey analysis, and on the hazards of palantir use generally? We might want to compare and contrast the Mirror of Galadriel, which Lady G specifically warns “is dangerous as a guide of deeds”.

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 6 2014, 7:57am

Post #6 of 35 (3754 views)
Shortcut
And note there's a quiz too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bracegirdle has stared up a quiz about the Palantiri over on Main Street http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=730049#730049 - This Reading Room discussion will inevitably contain spoilers, so if you want to try the Quiz "blind" , you might want to do so before reading too much of this discussion!

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 6 2014, 7:16pm

Post #7 of 35 (3956 views)
Shortcut
To stone or not to stone ? [In reply to] Can't Post

To nitpick on just a couple of your thoughts.

The palantiri can be used either as surveillance devices, or as a communication network for telepathic transfer of thoughts.

My position is that the palantiri were purely mechanical in nature and did not give its user telepathy in any way. Yes, we know the Elves & Maiar had a form of thought transference (telepathy), but I know of no instance where a Man, be he a Numenorean or no, had telepathic abilities.
Tolkien doesn’t tell us the actual mechanics of how the palantiri work. He just touches on the results, or turn it this way for this result etc.. E.g. I don’t have the foggiest idea how this computer works, I just know that if I do certain things I get certain results; but this would seem like magic to any sufficiently backward civilization. Just as Galadriel seemed somewhat surprised that Sam thought the Mirror magical, but to her it was just a useful tool.

I think the idea is that the master stone (which Denethor has at the time of LOTR) can survey in any direction,

The Anor-stone was never a Master-stone. In the South it was the Osgiliath-stone before its loss. Aragorn was able to wrest the Ithil-stone from Sauron with the Orthanc-stone; Sauron with the Ithil-stone was able to deceive Denethor who was using the Anor-stone. And round it goes – who’s to say which of these three remaining stones was the more powerful? Picky. . .Smile

Cheers....

>>>>THIS SPACE FOR HIRE<<<<
Contact Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole #14, Bywater Pool Road

squire
Half-elven

Apr 6 2014, 10:15pm

Post #8 of 35 (3816 views)
Shortcut
JRRT wore many hats, none of them a tall shapeless felt bag and none of them canonical [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought we might want to discuss the various narrative positions (editor, chronicler, modern historian, storyteller) which Tolkien was choosing for the works in this collection:
A. Which of them work for you?
Well, they all do. I like Tolkien's interest in exploring how to present mythological and legendary materials within an entirely artificial construct. I assume that he brings a lifetime of scholarly and archival research and reading to these pieces, and is having fun mimicking the 'correct' style for one presentation or another.

B. Do you see them as different ways of telling the story?
Yes, indeed. It's all about the story. None of the 'research' feels real, because he never presents alternative interpretations based on conflicting evidence the way real researchers and historians do.

C. Is there an effect on ‘canon’ (should you feel that ‘canon’ is a useful concept):
I'm not sure I understand, but I see you restating the question just below!

What I mean is,
D. Is Tolkien deliberately trying to step away from being the omnipotent narrator and therefore the source of true canonical knowledge about Middle-earth?
Ah. No, he's not doing that. Everything he presents is omnipotently narrated, even the "it is not known..." or "the authorities disagree..." bits. What's known is that that there is an unknown the author chooses to leave unexplained; what's agreed is that there is no agreement between parties the author won't identify or develop. But these don't violate canon, because there is no alternative outside of Tolkien's work to which canon can be compared: no alternative authors, no sequel-writing hired guns who get something wrong while asserting it's right, no heretical son or nephew trading on the family name to continue the series after the author has passed on.

I know many enjoy this kind of debate but I find pursuing the concept of canon (as I understand the term, anyway) in reading Tolkien to be unhelpful. When he changed his mind on some matter relating to his legendarium, the fact is he changed his mind, and it can be interesting to look into why he did it and what it implies about his developing views of his stories. I'm not interested in which is the 'real story' of the Blue Wizards; or whether Gollum 'really' led Bilbo out of the cave with a final wave goodbye as opposed to trying to trap him, recover the Ring, and eat him; or who Amroth 'really' was. Each story or fragment in which the varying accounts appear is usually good enough by itself to be enjoyed on its own terms; if it isn't very good, as some are not, questions about authenticity within the legendarium become even less relevant, if possible.

E. If he is doing that, what does it achieve?
The question is the answer.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 7 2014, 12:09pm

Post #9 of 35 (3938 views)
Shortcut
A communication device [In reply to] Can't Post

Fair enough - any 'telepathy' is part of using the device itself. You can have some sort of remote dialogue with another user while you are using a stone - it doesn't make you 'telepathic' permanently in any sense when the 'call' is over.

Thanks for the point about the master stone.

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

squire
Half-elven

Apr 8 2014, 3:29am

Post #10 of 35 (3704 views)
Shortcut
Reply hazy, try again later? [In reply to] Can't Post

A. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts about the similarities and differences between Saruman and Denethor in all this.
What I mostly notice is that the writer develops Denethor's use of his stone in quite a lot more detail than he does Saruman's.

Although the specifics are lacking, we learn that Denethor used the stone as soon as he could, and used it to survey the activities of his own people and of his neighbors. Such knowledge, it is implied, made him a better ruler of Gondor in the time of increasing danger from the East, at the cost of his own health and personal happiness. Furthermore, it is repeatedly emphasized that Denethor was as qualified as anyone in the West to do what he did, and that he had the strength and "the right" to use the stones for the good of Gondor. Where he went wrong was fatally overestimating his ability to outwit Sauron - and this account insists that he was, in fact, in command of his faculties in a meaningful sense right up to the time of Faramir's wounding.

On the other hand, the author (JRRT in some kind of historian's guise) tells us very little that we didn't already know from The Return of the King. I noticed three things that seemed like real "UT news": Gandalf was wrong in his guess that Denethor did not use the stone until the last year or so before the war; Denethor and Saruman communicated with each other using their stones without Sauron's knowledge, to Denethor's advantage rather than Saruman's; and Sauron did not monitor his stone continuously so that Saruman and Denethor were more free to risk using theirs, even after they became aware of Sauron's presence on the other end, than the main story would seem to have implied.

So - Denethor, a real flawed hero, with motives worth debating for daring the use of the stone. Compared to that, what do we learn of Saruman and his palantir? Almost nothing: only that he expected to find the stone when he occupied Orthanc, and that he hid this motivation from the Council. What did he do with it, besides eventually coming under the sway of Sauron? This account gives us no clue: no idea that he swayed the Council with knowledge he acquired via the stone, no hint that the stone helped him dominate his corner of Rohan or (more intriguingly) perhaps the Shire. Furthermore, the narrative ignores the whole question of how much the White Council might have noticed about Saruman's inexplicable knowledge of matters outside his physical range of activity, simply commenting that they were focused on the Ring (about which Saruman was also implausibly lying) so that they never even thought about the stones, Orthanc, and Sauron's seizure of Minas Ithil. The Council, not for the first time, comes off as a bunch of dunderheads on the entire question of how Evil works in Middle-earth.

One last note about Saruman appears at the very end of this part of the essay [note 14]. He is said to have lost his 'integrity', defined as 'devotion to other persons or causes', because of his obsession with the Rings of Power. This, we are told, is why he was so easily 'dominated [by] a superior will' via Sauron's palantir. This suggests two things: Denethor still had his integrity, despite his great pride in himself, because he was truly devoted to Gondor and her people under his stewardship, and so he was more able to resist Sauron; secondly, Saruman somehow fell, not to the temptation of the Ring as is replayed with so many of the other main characters in LotR, but to the mere idea of the Ring, for which the palantir becomes a proxy in that it becomes a substitute conduit for his subjugation by Sauron's evil will. I find this a bit of a stretch, but of course most of the plot of the middle of LotR depends that we accept this bait-and-switch play on the One Ring's powers and influence!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 8 2014, 7:53am

Post #11 of 35 (3680 views)
Shortcut
Sybils and Oracles [In reply to] Can't Post

The role of the palantiri in communicating correct but misleading (or misinterpreted) information is a literary trope going back to the Greeks. In effect, they are a "high-tech" (thanks to that great engineer Fëonor) oracle.

You have to wonder whether the Numenorians were actually able to get good, practical information out of their network when it was fully operational. If they were similarly incapable of using or interpreting information from their palantiri correctly, could it have been a contributor to their downfall?

sador
Half-elven

Apr 8 2014, 7:56am

Post #12 of 35 (3677 views)
Shortcut
Canon, as usual. [In reply to] Can't Post

I quite agree with squire that Tolkien is playing with different methods of telling the story, but it isn't quite haphazard.
Most of the Third-age and fourth-age material in UT is written according to the Red Book conceit, which predominates the Prologues and Appendices of LotR. Tolkien was always trying to find a frame for his stories - in any of the Aelfwine incarnations (of to The Notion Club Papers, in which Lowdham seems to be an incarnation of the Aelfwine who escapes from Numenor), or in the Red book conceit (Bilbo's Translations from the Elvish). I like the "historian" stance, but find it rather mawkish when he answered letters according to this conceit. And it is only fully successfull in Farmer Giles of Ham.
The Hobbit is written by an amused omnipotent narrator (quite like Leaf by Niggle and Roverandom) and in The Lord of the Rings Tolkien attempts to write as if it was a collection of diaries - each chapter is written as perceived by one or two characters, with the omniscient narrator breaking into the story only occasionally.
So arguably, LotR is stylistically the weakest of Tolkien's books, but it actually is the best read - as it engulfs the reader, so that the stylistic creaks are ignored; as is the not-always logical choice of which character should "tell" the story and when. For instance, according to all internal evidence, Merry would be by far a better choice to narrate Treebeard, or Legolas The Grey Company - but Tolkien prefers the weaker, less knowlegeable Pippin and Gimli. But exactly for this reason, the reader's sense of wonder and awe increases.
And I prefer LotR by far to any of the better-narrated earlier and later works.

sador
Half-elven

Apr 8 2014, 8:05am

Post #13 of 35 (3671 views)
Shortcut
I'm not quite sure about the lwegitimacy bit [In reply to] Can't Post

Squire's response was brilliant as usual - but why would Denethor have a better right than Saruman to use the palantir?
As far as I understand, the Orthanc-stone was to be a part of the charge of the warden of the Tower; and Saruman was such, and uncontested. On the other hand, Tolkien seems to indicate in some point that the line of the Stewards rested its case on its debatable rejection of Arvedui's claims. And the stones were never used since the days of the kings , so nobody gave the Stewards any such appointment.
It's a bit like the business with Elendil's grave, that the Stewards used to enter as if they were kings, and Cirion even had the presumption to remove.

And doesn't this bit contradict what we know from the appendices that Denethor had always supported Saruman, while Thorongil Gandalf? And couldnt denethor have observed that Saruman was gathering orcs and wolves?
But I agree - once again, the Council look ike a lot of wise fools (yes, I know who was called that in the book).

PhantomS
Rohan

Apr 8 2014, 8:40am

Post #14 of 35 (3668 views)
Shortcut
it's my right and your left [In reply to] Can't Post

The Stewards took the rule of the kingdom when Earnur died, and continued the customs of the kings without declaring themselves kings; they appointed the Guards of Tower and Fountain (who wear the royal emblems), they took their heirs to the Halfirien to read the Scroll of Kings and they commanded the various fiefs. Chiefly they could give land away if required- which is why Beren gave Saruman the keys to Orthanc, and Cirion giving Rohan away to Eorl. As the kings have the sole right to use the Palantir, the Stewards are doing it as representatives of the king himself.

Now how is Saruman less 'rightful' in his use? He was given Isengard to rule in Gondor's name and the Palantir should work nicely for him. The answer is he is not the King, nor is he the rightful deputy of the king. He is the deputy of the Steward. The Steward is already operating on secondary authority 'til the king returns'. Denethor, as the steward still has the old kings' authority to use the Stone but Saruman no longer answers to the Stewards and thus forfeited his right to use the Palantir.

PhantomS
Rohan

Apr 8 2014, 8:49am

Post #15 of 35 (3672 views)
Shortcut
*sharpens nit picker* [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn did not wrest the Ithil stone from Sauron, who was probably holding it in his hand. He wrested the Orthanc-stone from Sauron's gaze, severing the link established with Saruman ("and he was caught!" implies that Saruman couldn't ever look away again). No one actually found the Ithil stone.

Aragorn also does not dare try to repair the Anor stone, as Denethor has messed it up so badly no one can really use it anymore.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 8 2014, 9:09am

Post #16 of 35 (3663 views)
Shortcut
That's an interesting difference between 'novelist' and 'historian' [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So arguably, LotR is stylistically the weakest of Tolkien's books, but it actually is the best read - as it engulfs the reader, so that the stylistic creaks are ignored; as is the not-always logical choice of which character should "tell" the story and when. For instance, according to all internal evidence, Merry would be by far a better choice to narrate Treebeard, or Legolas The Grey Company - but Tolkien prefers the weaker, less knowlegeable Pippin and Gimli. But exactly for this reason, the reader's sense of wonder and awe increases.
And I prefer LotR by far to any of the better-narrated earlier and later works.

A historian would want us to hear the most authoritative voices. But for a novel (LOTR) sometimes the less authoritative voice is better, because (exactly as you say) it can belong to a character the audience can identify with. I might go as far as to say that The Hobbit is a better read than The Quest for Erebor for the same reason (even though Gandalf is obviously a key person to interview about the events, whereas Bilbo has very little idea what is going on, much of the time!.

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 8 2014, 9:15am

Post #17 of 35 (3666 views)
Shortcut
The idea of the Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Saruman somehow fell, not to the temptation of the Ring as is replayed with so many of the other main characters in LotR, but to the mere idea of the Ring, for which the palantir becomes a proxy in that it becomes a substitute conduit for his subjugation by Sauron's evil will.

That's something I personally find quite credible. Ownership of the Ring is a potential route to Power - I can easily imagine someone being tempted by it as a route to such Power. In the Real World, people have been known to do terrible things in pursuit of means to power (e.g. money, office etc.) In that regard it is easier to imagine being corrupted by the Ring than a Silmaril (It's not all that clear, to me at any rate what good it would do to have a Silmaril, unless you have a couple of sick trees to mend...)

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 8 2014, 10:04am

Post #18 of 35 (3672 views)
Shortcut
there is bound to be some downside or come-uppance to boosting your powers unnaturally? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The role of the palantiri in communicating correct but misleading (or misinterpreted) information is a literary trope going back to the Greeks. In effect, they are a "high-tech" (thanks to that great engineer Fëonor) oracle.

That's very true! I find it more satisfying in some way that the palantiri have these shortcomings than if they merely lived up to their apparent promise - I wonder whether there is also at work that idea that there is bound to be some downside or come-uppance to boosting your powers unnaturally?

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 8 2014, 3:08pm

Post #19 of 35 (3661 views)
Shortcut
Release the Pickers [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn did not wrest the Ithil stone from Sauron, who was probably holding it in his hand. He wrested the Orthanc-stone from Sauron's gaze, severing the link established with Saruman ("and he was caught!" implies that Saruman couldn't ever look away again). No one actually found the Ithil stone.

Of course Aragorn didn’t physically wrench the Ithil-stone from Sauron. He had the strength to wrench the Orthanc-stone to his will and away from Sauron. (Saruman is out of the picture at this point as Gandalf had broken his staff and banished him from the order of Istari.)
Correct, the Ithil-stone was never found (that we know of) in the ruin of the fall of Barad-dur.

Aragorn also does not dare try to repair the Anor stone, as Denethor has messed it up so badly no one can really use it anymore.

”And it was said that ever after, if any man looked in that Stone, unless he had a great strength of will to turn it to other purpose, he saw only two aged hands withering in flame.” RotK Pyre of Denethor.
So it seems that one of “great strength of will” such as Aragorn could use the Anor-stone (for other purpose), though I see no reason this would ever be necessary as he had the Orthanc-stone to survey his Kingdom.
I’m sure the knowledge to repair a Stone was long lost with the demise of Feanor.

>>>>THIS SPACE FOR HIRE<<<<
Contact Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole #14, Bywater Pool Road

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 8 2014, 10:01pm

Post #20 of 35 (3642 views)
Shortcut
Narrative style [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for leading this chapter, Wiz!
I notice that most of the Seeing Stones were lost in Disasters, or Ruined, so this chapter was just calling out your name, I think. Angelic

As to the narrative style, I have to say that the one in this chapter lost me at first. I read it and thought, "Huh? Why is he approaching it this way?" It wasn't as remote as other narrators sound, such as in the Appendices when you really think it might be a learned Middle-earther telling the tale, but instead it sounded like Tolkien pretending to read his own work. Just didn't seem authentic to me, though that's a minor point because it didn't ruin the chapter for me either. I appreciate all the information on the palantiri, particularly that they came in different sizes and had different power rankings. Now really, how many authors would get into detail like that? Certainly reading LOTR, I assumed they were all the same, except for the one at Osgiliath. Then I find out that even the minor ones can vary in size from each other. Did Feanor (or some other creator) never think of consistency in design and manufacture, or is this more artistry run amok?

What doesn't make sense to me is why the chief stone of Arnor would be at Amon Sul instead of at Annuminas, where the king resides, whereas having the chief stone at Osgiliath does make sense. Maybe that's a symptom of other poor decisions made in Arnor that doomed that kingdom. They were also stuck with the Stone that only looked West. Overall, they came up short on the deal.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 8 2014, 10:09pm

Post #21 of 35 (3655 views)
Shortcut
Saruman vs Denethor -- wait, that's the Arena [In reply to] Can't Post

I still bet money on Saruman winning the duel.

Anyway, the contrast is made more interesting in that Saruman is so much more powerful than Denethor in terms of magic and overall knowledge, yet he falls into the trap of becoming Sauron's servant. Which of course he didn't think he was, but Sauron complained that Denethor was late in reporting to him when Pippin looked into the palantir, so that was not a relationship of equals.

Then poor Denethor (I don't pity him often) having more power in the sense of having more troops and more land on the map that he can call his own than Saruman but less power in magic and lore remains defiant of Sauron. That's pretty cool that the lesser man wins. I think the key is that Saruman lost allegiance to everyone and gave up on his original purpose, whereas Denethor was grimly patriotic, and that prevented him from becoming Sauron's subject, even if he was on the losing side of the psychic struggle. That Denethor remained faithful to some purpose seems to have preserved some integrity in him. It's hard to imagine Denethor breeding orcs to use in the war against Sauron. (But then again, maybe he should have. Wow, that sounds blasphemous.)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 8 2014, 10:23pm

Post #22 of 35 (3663 views)
Shortcut
Palantiri vs Mirrors [In reply to] Can't Post

What an excellent comparison, Wiz! The palantiri do seem to be perilous to use, and like other Noldorin artifacts (Rings, Silmarils), I almost get the feeling that they do more harm than good. Almost. While the use of them contributed heavily to the downfall of both Saruman and Denethor, in the good ol' days, at least, they seemed to work as an effective email and early warning system between Arnor and Gondor without making anyone crazy, mean, or an orc-breeder. What I find significant and slightly disturbing is that Tolkien goes out of his way to say that they were used only for official business and not for personal greetings. I want to know why people couldn't use them to Skype with far-off kin and friends. It almost seems like there was some harm in that.

While it was another Noldorin artifact, which should be enough to make us run the other way and shroud ourselves to boot, the Mirror of Galadriel did not seem to have a downside to it in that it didn't seem to drain or corrupt Frodo or Sam, or Madame G herself. She took Frodo to look in it because she thought he would benefit from it, and though seeing the Eye was scary to him, he also saw the bigger picture that he was a part of, and I think he needed that psychological boost after losing his friend and protector in Moria. She also told Frodo that his perception was keener as a result of that experience, enabling him to perceive more about her than others that get the capital "Wise" title. He needed that extra perception in his encounters with both Gollum and Faramir, so it was all to the good. And while Sam was upset by his vision, it ultimately galvanized his determination to continue the quest, so again, no harm done.

Overall, I'd give the Mirror a good end-user rating, but I'm not so sure about those Stones.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 9 2014, 1:00am

Post #23 of 35 (3649 views)
Shortcut
'The Wanderings of Canon' [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In this ‘Tale’, I notice that Tolkien is writing as if he is some sort of historian: he tells us that things aren’t known, or are assumed, as well as using the author’s prerogative to tell us that things are so. The writing reads to me more like the work of a modern historian, aware of the contradictions and limitations of historical sources. I see that as being in contrast to the ‘chronicler’ approach taken in The Disaster of the Gladden Fields (at least until one comes to the note on sources section). And it is different again to the tone taken in other Unfinished Tales - e.g. The Quest of Erebor is presented as Frodo’s memo of a conversation with Gandalf and others. It feels different, yet again, from The Hobbit or LOTR, where Tolkien starts with a ‘framing device’ - he pretends to be in the position of Editor, and that we are reading a version of a book written by hobbits, which he has somehow obtained and prepared for a modern English-speaking audience. The situation in The Hobbit is further complicated by the voice of the ‘avuncular narrator’ who steps in to make asides (in the first half of the book, at least), and LOTR has a variety of narrative styles. I wrote a symposium piece about these effects in The Hobbit and LOTR (http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=668923#668923 ) so will try not to repeat myself here! Your Symposium piece was full of insights on the Voice and the shadings it gives. Cool I do love re-reading it! Interesting in the Palantiri section he is detailing events of the rather real-world parallel Holy Roman Empire, the reign of Gondor (in his-map-mind, anyway). Thus I find it interesting that he uses this pseudo-historical voice for this telling, since it is so entwined with the house of Elendil and the rulers of Gondor and Arnor. That bloodline was one of the things he seem to envision as coming forth to the modern world, so maybe the Voice here is rationally historical and peering just over the edge of legendarium and Real-Life?

But, especially as we come to the end of Unfinished Tales with this chapter, I thought we might want to discuss the various narrative positions (editor, chronicler, modern historian, storyteller) which Tolkien was choosing for the works in this collection: which of them work for you? Do you see them as different ways of telling the story? Is there an effect on ‘canon’ (should you feel that ‘canon’ is a useful concept): what I mean is, is Tolkien deliberately trying to step away from being the omnipotent narrator and therefore the source of true canonical knowledge about Middle-earth? If he is doing that, what does it achieve?Yes, the 'Wanderings of Hurin' have nothing on 'The Wanderings of Canon'. Laugh I agree with your construct here, and I do see them as different ways of telling the stories based on where they 'belong' in the purely fantastical-faerie-real world precourser continuum. The step-back into the historical voice I think brings this tale into our realm; I do believe that the bloodline and the tale of Aragorn/Elendil/Beren is one held in regard for how it enriches us materially, in this world, not just in the distant world of fantasy. Thus the step-back is like a nod to 'textbook' and patchwork quilt histories as they truly exist, and about as far as we get from the avuncular Hobbit narrator, or from the beginning of LOTR and thus to its evolution and maturing. I haven't waded in before on the whole 'canon' debate. Its a bi-dimensional thing for me I suppose: as a reader, I enjoy the writing in its existing form. As a more scholarly reader, and being a bit OCD for the affectionate scrutiny of it, I do like the detective work that the Unfinished nature and the contradictions give us - as a pastime, and as en exercise in comprehending what the author may have been thinking or feeling about aspects of the world. But to me, if JRRT wrote it, its canon. The literary puzzle is just a rather Picasso-esque multi planar work versus a flat picture to be assembled in one dimension.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room April, 2014. *The Call for Submissions is up*!

**And Rem, you are doing that CoH chapter. Don't forget. **

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 9 2014, 1:12am

Post #24 of 35 (3641 views)
Shortcut
Denethor and Saruman [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts about the similarities and differences between Saruman and Denethor in all this.

Contrasting the two, I note that Denethor had a 'right' to the stone in his possession, but that Saruman did not: his was a usurpation. Another contrast is that what strikes fear into Denethor and ages him prematurely seems to serve the opposite in Saruman and it seems feeds his innate desire for control and for domination. Relative strengths against the exposure to Sauron?
Fascinating that Denethor's jealousy of Thoringil/Aragorn is what may have driven him to use the Stone; jealousy of Gandalf may have driven Saruman. The desire to use every available means to overcome a perceived rival drove them both into collision with the larger and true Rival for Middle-earth.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room April, 2014. *The Call for Submissions is up*!

**And Rem, you are doing that CoH chapter. Don't forget. **

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 9 2014, 7:39am

Post #25 of 35 (3647 views)
Shortcut
Why didn't Saruman have a 'right' to his stone? [In reply to] Can't Post

As sador and PhantomS point out, the Orthanc-stone was to be a part of the charge of the warden of the Tower; and Saruman was such, and uncontested. The stones were communication devices, and intended for linking various parts of the realm. Even though the network was now down to 3 nodes (one of which was deeply compromised) there's no reason to think Denethor had "decomissioned" Saruman as warden. To be sure, if he knew what Saruman was up to he might have...

Also, I do not think Sauron was really communicating with Denethor, as he clearly was with Saruman. I think, rather, that he was exercising his influence in the network to show Denethor what he wished him to see (massive troop movements, the ships from Umbar, Frodo in captivity...). It's quite possible Denethor didn't realize Sauron had a stone.

Finally, I believe that Denethor (like his predecessors) thought the stone was a legitimate, powerful tool for managing the realm, rather than something he was "driven to" for any reason.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.