Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What is in a name? (Your screen name, that is.)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 5 2008, 12:32am

Post #226 of 236 (652 views)
Shortcut
It's a lovely name! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you've found your way here... and with a name I'd never heard before. Wonderful :D

Don't forget to do what I neglected to do and have mourned ever since. WRITE DOWN the first day and post you've ever done here. I'd never been a part of a community like this before LotR came out, and I've always wished I knew what and exactly when I posted. *sigh* 6 years later, I'm still here ;)

Welcome Welcome Welcome! You're just in time to join in on the Hobbity fun!

Cheers!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 5 2008, 12:36am

Post #227 of 236 (669 views)
Shortcut
Isn't this fun? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's like a picnic where everyone shows up with their own secret recipe ;)

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 5 2008, 12:39am

Post #228 of 236 (650 views)
Shortcut
Oh no... I think [In reply to] Can't Post

it's a perfect name for a Tolkien site... or a Potter site. It weaves an image and is very unique. It's great :D

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 5 2008, 12:43am

Post #229 of 236 (686 views)
Shortcut
The river still flows :) [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a fantastic choice for a name. It's poetic and enduring. I love that you've also got it as your license plate. Mine is "hobbity". So if you're ever in Michigan and see a hobbity white ford, honk 3 times! :D

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 5 2008, 12:45am

Post #230 of 236 (637 views)
Shortcut
Coming up with [In reply to] Can't Post

a nickname is almost as much fun as posting here! Barbarian, eh? *snigger* My oldest sister is a Barbarian, then ;)

*high five*

sample sample

7ofEowyn
The Shire

Feb 5 2008, 12:54am

Post #231 of 236 (674 views)
Shortcut
It's who I want to be when I grow up! [In reply to] Can't Post

The first woman that ever captured my imagination was Eowyn. I can still vividly remember that "YES!" moment from the old 'toon movie when she reveals herself to the WitchKing. Long blonde hair blowing in the wind, a line of warriors in shadow behind her, determination that she would no longer be left to watch others do the fighting, denying that death is to be feared. That's the stuff!

Thank God, my parents continued to raise me right, feeding me on all the PG rated SciFi/Fantasy that was out there. A few others caught my fancy: Uhura was pretty cool but I can't change my pasty white for beautiful brown/ebony. I missed out on incorporating Sigourney Weaver in Alien(s) due to the whole PG thing. But Babylon5 came out with Ivanova ... oh, that bittersweet storyline w/ Marcus. <small tear & sniffle here> But both of these had brown hair. Dang! That didn't work.

Then 7-of-9 came on the scene. She could fight, had great lines and above all - she could make a man flinch just by looking him in the eye! In our family, that's called Grandma's-evil-eye. Whoo hoo - I've inherited that ability! Even better ... here's a story for you. I was glaring at one of my husband's friends one day while I happened to have my blonde hair swept up in a bun. He kinda had that flinch & then said, "Oh my gosh! You look just like 7-of-9!" Feel the power!

Resistance is futile...

--- "I can fight" ---

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 5 2008, 7:09am

Post #232 of 236 (633 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes, well said.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Lady of Light
Rivendell

Feb 15 2008, 4:17am

Post #233 of 236 (658 views)
Shortcut
Well... if anyone's still here [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine is the title of a fantasy novel I had kicking around when I registered over seven years ago. The plot of the book is now entirely forgotten, though I think my sister still has it, so it may be time for a re-read. I just liked how it sounded, and since then I have come to appreciate both that it refers to Varda, and that it abbreviates to LOL. Cool

I now use it at various places around the internet, as well as Queen of Darkness when I'm feeling more evil. Evil

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
- Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

"Bilbo, have you been at the Gaffer's home brew?"
"No! Well yes, but that's not the point..."

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 21 2008, 9:15pm

Post #234 of 236 (642 views)
Shortcut
Hi, LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just followed a link back to this thread and thought *somebody* ought to reply to you! Love your initials! :-D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jul 23 2008, 6:40am

Post #235 of 236 (602 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know this is an old, old thread, but I can't believe I didn't respond to you then.

It warms my heart that you say that. I found that to be true when I heard other peoples' stories... It is a source of strength and indeed a gift. It is because of the gift that I have recieved from years of having hearing the experience strength and hope others have shared with me, that I feel free to do so my self. I deeply understand the value in it and never hesitate because of shame or fear.

It may lead someone, somewhere, sometime to the source of help they need. If only in that there is hope and resources out there and no ones has to go on blindly without it hope or help as I did so many years before found it.

**Tribute: Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling, WWII Pilot MIA, by Gramma & DoN**
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

visualweasel
Rohan

Jul 25 2008, 8:18pm

Post #236 of 236 (868 views)
Shortcut
All this time, ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I've been assuming your name was a reference to Dyrnwyn, the powerful sword from Welsh mythology (and carried by Gwydion in Lloyd Alexander's Prydain novels). Who knew? Tongue

(I found this old thread in a link from the more recent one on people's screen names.)

Jason Fisher
Lingwë - Musings of a Fish

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.