The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The desolation of Smaug: Trailer Vs Bluray. Changes & Outtakes
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mukankakuna

Apr 5 2014, 9:49pm

Post #1 of 39 (2935 views)
Shortcut
The desolation of Smaug: Trailer Vs Bluray. Changes & Outtakes Can't Post

Hi, as I did with the first movie I've been reviewing the trailers to see the differences with the edited version on bluray. At first I thought they were going to be just a few changes, or at least not as many as there are in the first movie, but the fact is there are many more than I first imagined, some of them are quite curious.
I made a video reviewing those changes.

Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJFfpIKfMU0

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 6 2014, 12:52am)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2014, 10:07pm

Post #2 of 39 (1514 views)
Shortcut
Anyone saying CGI orcs don't look good... [In reply to] Can't Post

...should check their eyes. Wink

The fellow bellow looks amazing.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Apr 5 2014, 10:08pm)

Thranderz
Rohan

Apr 5 2014, 10:25pm

Post #3 of 39 (1380 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a great video and something I've actually been looking for! Smile

I simply walked into Mordor.

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 5 2014, 10:35pm

Post #4 of 39 (1335 views)
Shortcut
Awesome, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

This really shows all the attention to detail. So many little things, it's really awesome to see.

Our destiny lies above us.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Apr 5 2014, 10:37pm

Post #5 of 39 (1339 views)
Shortcut
Nice video [In reply to] Can't Post

You must have a great eye to catch all these differences.

It's interesting to see how subtle and how drastic some of the changes can be during editing and post production. Also shows how the CGI improves between the trailer and the final film.

Yes, my username is terrible.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2014, 11:39pm

Post #6 of 39 (1385 views)
Shortcut
i don't get it.. [In reply to] Can't Post

why are they changing the landscapes for the bluray edition? The pic of Azog was the alternate version where Azog was playing Bolg's part than they replaced him with Bolg.

photo 1bf768b4-0b33-420d-9c59-41ea3cf03def_zps1d44c4cf.jpg

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 5 2014, 11:59pm

Post #7 of 39 (1367 views)
Shortcut
Not just the Bluray. [In reply to] Can't Post

There were changed in the film. For various reasons, no one can really know why but they didn't just change them for their health.

Our destiny lies above us.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 6 2014, 12:06am

Post #8 of 39 (1352 views)
Shortcut
Agree with this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Both Orcs look amazing, but the one below especially so. One thing I do find incredible in DoS is the visuals (minus about 10 per cent of them). Wink

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 6 2014, 12:51am

Post #9 of 39 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Holy ginormous image size, Batman! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you've won the prize for the largest image ever posted on our message boards - waaaay to big for it to stay.

I'll paste below our guidelines for images sizes. Feel free to resize your image to match and post it again within this thread:

The specific guidelines for posting pictures within the message body of your post are as follows: the maximum size of any picture posted should be 525 wide x 400 pixels high (or a better measure is: 210,000 pixels squared - width x height), but no wider than 670 pixels. The maximum file size per picture should be 45k. The cumulative file size of all pictures in one post should not exceed 225k (5 pictures of the maximum filesize of 45k, 10 pictures of a filesize of 22.5k, etc.). These guidelnes apply to pictures hosted on other sites as well as to pictures posted as attachments to your post. For more detailed help on posting within a message body, check out Magpie's step-by-step TORn Image Posting Guide.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2014, 2:05am

Post #10 of 39 (1295 views)
Shortcut
oh [In reply to] Can't Post

photo 1bf768b4-0b33-420d-9c59-41ea3cf03def_zps1d44c4cf.jpg

LordotRings93
Rohan

Apr 6 2014, 2:32am

Post #11 of 39 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone else notice.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That right when the orcs attack in the barrel sequence it sounds like one of the dwarves yells "AZOG!", like when he comes up over the bridge?

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

(This post was edited by LordotRings93 on Apr 6 2014, 2:40am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 6 2014, 3:01am

Post #12 of 39 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting to see that they really slathered on the gloom.

Elvenking enthrallment
--------------------------
Thranduil Appreciation thread II
Thranduil Appreciation thread

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2014, 3:12am

Post #13 of 39 (1271 views)
Shortcut
I wondered... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if I was imagining things. But I heard it too. Cool

I guess you could argue that the dwarves assume Azog is still leading the pack.

I hope they delve into the switch in the Extended Edition appendices. I'd be interested in hearing why they changed it up. I wonder if it wasn't to keep Azog from looking weak (i.e. managing to let the dwarves slip through his fingers multiple times).

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Annatar598
Rohan

Apr 6 2014, 3:57am

Post #14 of 39 (1242 views)
Shortcut
WOW you are so awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

for making this!

Thanks!

It's so cool to see how much subtlety goes into the VFX work here.

Cannot wait for the DOS EE Appendices.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Apr 6 2014, 4:06am

Post #15 of 39 (1292 views)
Shortcut
Color Grading: Perhaps They Heard Us? [In reply to] Can't Post

Many of the changes your video points out involve the color grading of various scenes. About 9 months ago if I recall correctly we had a thread lamenting the overuse of the "teal-and-orange" color scheme, which had been all the rage in Hollywood for several years previously and which, as your video illustrates, was prominent in the trailer. Some of us wrote that "...hopefully Andrew Lesnie and Peter Jackson will have a good long think about the color grading", and avoid the overuse of teal-and-orange. Perhaps they heard us!

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Apr 6 2014, 4:25am

Post #16 of 39 (1268 views)
Shortcut
Moaning about colour-grading [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Many of the changes your video points out involve the color grading of various scenes. About 9 months ago if I recall correctly we had a thread lamenting the overuse of the "teal-and-orange" color scheme, which had been all the rage in Hollywood for several years previously and which, as your video illustrates, was prominent in the trailer. Some of us wrote that "...hopefully Andrew Lesnie and Peter Jackson will have a good long think about the color grading", and avoid the overuse of teal-and-orange. Perhaps they heard us!

I did a bunch of moaning about that via the frontpage too. I think the teal-and-orange effect is bloody awful, and the super-saturation of certain shots in the trailer was just ridiculous.

Hard to know whether the combined complaining had any effect tho. Maybe they just prefer to ramp the colours for trailers to really punch folks in the face with it.

A marketing decision, if you like.

TheOneRing.net Senior Staff
IRC Admin and Hall of Fire moderator

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Apr 6 2014, 4:35am

Post #17 of 39 (1220 views)
Shortcut
Also maybe exposed a little more [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of the trailer shots look like they're high-dynamic-range too. So there's little underposure, and little overexposure.

The blu-ray feels closer to what you'd get from normal still shot -- especially with the blow-outs in the sky in some of the mirkwood shots. And the "cool" of the forest scenes. Bilbo and the spider is still a weird colour tho.

Annatar598
Rohan

Apr 6 2014, 4:39am

Post #18 of 39 (1282 views)
Shortcut
I think the colour grading change was [In reply to] Can't Post

not a marketing decision but a creative one made in the editorial room around a month or so before release.

Which is why the third trailer also had the bleaker tones.

I hope AUJ gets redone this way. Imagine how much better the Goblin town sequences would look!

Really? Alright...

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2014, 4:58am

Post #19 of 39 (1213 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember reading that PJ wanted to "soften" the image a little to tone down on the sharp video look people were complaining about with HFR. I wonder if the color grading changes factored into that as well.

If only AUJ could have retained the look from the first Hobbit teaser. Such beautiful, natural colors. When the second trailer came out, with the teal and orange grading, my heart sank.

I loved the final color grade of DoS. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Annatar598
Rohan

Apr 6 2014, 5:01am

Post #20 of 39 (1229 views)
Shortcut
I thought the HFR made the image more believable with the colour grading [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure on what everyone else thought.

The fact that there hasn't been much discussion over HFR this time round makes me think it was a successful move to change the colour tones. Even critics seem to have softened up to it Smile

I still want to see how a proper battle would do in HFR, which is why I'm so excited for TABA. Azulbizar was slow-moed so it wasn't exactly representative of a full-fledged battle if you know what I mean.

Really? Alright...

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2014, 5:06am

Post #21 of 39 (1233 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's also that people got used to it. I liked the HFR on AUJ, but was still getting used to it. When I saw DoS, I was ready for it and it looked entirely natural.

Regardless, the color grade change was the right way to go. IMO, DoS is a much more attractive film for it. There are sections of AUJ where I'm fine with the colors (I really love the look of the interior Bag End scenes), but the extreme colors of moments like the ending on the Carrock (which looked like it didn't belong in any Middle-earth film) give off a particularly garish appearance.

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Apr 6 2014, 5:12am)

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Apr 6 2014, 6:59am

Post #22 of 39 (1217 views)
Shortcut
Ganked for frontpage. Great work! // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2014, 8:54am

Post #23 of 39 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! It is fascinating to watch. [In reply to] Can't Post

Did anyone find themselves preferring some of the older trailer shots to the new/final versions? (For me it was some of the wider shots - Erebor, Mirkwood, Laketown, than close ups of characters.)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 6 2014, 9:28am

Post #24 of 39 (1145 views)
Shortcut
You have keen eyes, Master mukankakuna! ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Apr 6 2014, 2:56pm

Post #25 of 39 (1030 views)
Shortcut
Yes, loved it - but I agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

There were a couple that looked to change the wrong way to me also, but overall preferred the blue-ray versions. My un-preferred changes were generally those where they went away from detail or away from "natural" coloring.
I actually preferred the version of Thorin running from the fire-blast where you could see detail of him rather than the more "realistic" blindingly-bright fire and more of just a silhouette.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.