Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Be a Mathom-house hero: help write a short article about CHOW

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 4 2014, 10:58pm

Post #1 of 6 (102 views)
Shortcut
Be a Mathom-house hero: help write a short article about CHOW Can't Post

Hi All. I've mentioned in the past that there are lots of ways to contribute to the TORn History Mathom-house and here's a quick and (for the right people, perhaps...) easy way to contribute.

When documenting TORn's April Fool's jokes (home page and message boards) I ran across a mention of CHOW - the scheduled discussion on The Hobbit movies board and I realized we didn't have an entry for this on the TORn History wiki.

For the main wiki project, scheduled discussions get a short article. I'm asking for a volunteer individual or team to develop the article on CHOW.

These are not long or extensive. One person or a team could tackle it. I could provide an editing account for anyone willing to work directly on the wiki or the content of an article could be developed and posted in this thread and I could transfer it. I'm pretty open - I'm just looking to (personally) do the least amount of writing possible since there is a lot of basic set up and coding that goes with each article and I'll be responsible for that.

What is needed is a short description of the discussion and the history of the discussion.

CHOW seems to have been inspired by SCOD so you can see the article on SCOD here:
http://mathom-house.net/...in/ScreencapOfTheDay

Collected Links is an adjunct section of the Mathom-house. It is not part of the main project but it is related and it is housed at the Mathom-house and is developed and edited using the wiki software.

If someone wants to put a list of links to past CHOW discussions in this section of the Mathom-house, they can. It is not all that hard. It would involve searching out the old discussions, grabbing the url for each, and pasting that into the wiki.

I can create an account for anyone who wants to do this (or anything else at the wiki). I will help anyone who wants to help get started (I always suggest doing through the 'newbies' walkthrough I've set up). But once you volunteer and get the basics down, doing it will be your project that you'll do at your own speed and supervision. (This can also be done by a team)

If you can help with either of these, consider yourself a Mathom-house Hero and claim the right to use this image in your avatar or footer!

Even the smallest act can make you a Mathom-house Hero. Ataahua is a Mathom-house Hero for supplying information for a Hobbit movie timeline. DanielLB is a Mathom-house Hero for supplying me with the entire collection of new images he created for the top left corner of our skin. Ethel Duath is a Mathom-house Hero for checking and editing articles for spelling, punctuation, and consistency in style.

Mathom-house Heroes can find a Mathom-house Hero medal for footers or avatars here:
http://mathom-house.net/...ain/Mathom-houseHero

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 4 2014, 11:46pm

Post #2 of 6 (70 views)
Shortcut
Well ... [In reply to] Can't Post

(I always seem to put my hand up before anyone else gets a chance, sorry!) I can't guarantee that I could write the article as quick (or as coherently) as you would like, but I can help if anyone else wants to give it a go.

I've already got all the links to the previous discussions, so they wouldn't have to be searched for (including the most recent threads). cats and I PM'd quite a lot in the lead up to it as well, so we also might be able to give a bit of detail on how, why, when it developed.

Smile

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Apr 4 2014, 11:49pm)

cats16
Valinor

Apr 5 2014, 12:24am

Post #3 of 6 (56 views)
Shortcut
Same here... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be willing to help contribute with the article, but, like Daniel, I don't know how quick I would be with assisting the team.

Thankfully, Daniel has been a savior (as usual) and archived all of the discussions for us. I might go back and look at some of those PMs, just to see how all of this came together.

I'm open to doing whatever is needed of me. Smile

Edit: Oops, accidentally responded to you Daniel. My brain isn't completely right today. Cool

(This post was edited by cats16 on Apr 5 2014, 12:25am)

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 5 2014, 2:13am

Post #4 of 6 (49 views)
Shortcut
re: a deadline [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no deadline except... the longer an item goes unattended, the more likely it is to be forgotten. :-)

but basically, any work is better than no work so I'm not picky.

I think one of the things I see is people tend to overthink things.

Look at the article I linked to. It's not complicated or overly detailed.

Perhaps more people will chime in. But let me know if you want space on the wiki to collect information and/or work up drafts. You could also do that in this thread. Or, if a group of people are working together, by whatever means of communication you wish.

thanks.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 5 2014, 6:37pm

Post #5 of 6 (35 views)
Shortcut
I was looking at the "periodic threads" section ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you want a small something for TAS and Hobbit Headlines as well?

(Though they might not meet the criteria fully?)

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 5 2014, 6:56pm

Post #6 of 6 (42 views)
Shortcut
hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit Headlines doesn't meet the criteria of 'Many people contribute to the insightful or clever content of the entire thread'... but, on the other hand, the threads could - down the road - be an incredible resource.

So I think that warrants a spot in the wiki. If I were wont to overthink (and for all my cautions not to.. I am always overthinking!) I might consider whether for the wiki side - if it needs to be in a different section. But I think this is the one in which we'd most likely look for it.

I think TAS qualifies completely.

To reiterate (from my first post)... one the wiki side, we want a 'explanation' of the series. This is an 'encyclopedia' entry.

For the adjunct section, it's just a collection of links (along with a very brief description).

Then we link the two sections together.

The fine distinction is, I consider the encyclopedia section to be essential to the History Wiki and the mission statement of the project.

The Collected Links section is a service the project supplies but is not essential to the goals of the History project.

fwiw: we had a volunteer working on content for the Periodic Threads that is no longer active on the message boards. So other than some tidying up I did, this section hasn't had a volunteer curator in a while.

Peredhil lover was working on the Collected Links and is considered the manager of that section. But she hasn't been active on the boards or on the wiki... although I've spoken to her fairly recently and she hasn't abandoned the notion of collecting links. But I think she would direct her attention first to the collections she has already started and she would welcome people more engaged in these more recent series doing their part at collecting.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.