Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Smaug leading the BOFA

Sildarion~Valenar
Bree

Apr 5 2014, 6:00pm

Post #1 of 8 (887 views)
Shortcut
Smaug leading the BOFA Can't Post

I recently heard this rumor (which came just after CinemaCon) that someone noticed in the TABA footage Smaug flying in front and behind there was a battle going on at the Lone Mountain.

What's that supposed to be? I dearly hope it isn't the BOFA.

Is it possible that they are rather Bolg and his companions? They learnt that Thorin is not in Laketown so they head for Erebor. And on confrontation they fight leading to the outer wall of Erebor collapsing, and thus burying them.Meanwhile, Smaug still flies ahead, towards Laketown. (is that what was meant by "Smaug flying in front"?)

"War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."
~ Tolkien lets Faramir speak his own view on war and glory

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2014, 6:02pm

Post #2 of 8 (512 views)
Shortcut
i would say its a 50 percent chance [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug will either survive or come back from the dead as the necromancer. They did hint at him being used as a weapon to "your world will burn" by sauron.

photo 1bf768b4-0b33-420d-9c59-41ea3cf03def_zps1d44c4cf.jpg

deskp
Lorien

Apr 5 2014, 6:53pm

Post #3 of 8 (479 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

could just be a bat.

sure someone would confuse the outline of a bat with smaug.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Apr 5 2014, 7:22pm

Post #4 of 8 (429 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Deskp [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we should be careful not to think too much, it is just a rumour and it could have been anything. I won't judge since I have not seen the footage myself.

(This post was edited by Bernhardina on Apr 5 2014, 7:23pm)

flameofudun
Lorien

Apr 6 2014, 2:26am

Post #5 of 8 (343 views)
Shortcut
This interview begs to differ: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://m.totalfilm.com/news/luke-evans-talks-the-hobbit
Like evans doesn't confirm he does kill smaug at laketown. But he does say that everything that bard does in the book is definetly in the film as it was in book.

And the fact that the whole I WILL KILL THE DRAGON hoopla with bard and the dwarvish wind lance. You can't exactly move that thing to kill smaug. Smaug is definetly attacking laketown. And bard will kill him there.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

sycorax82
Rohan

Apr 6 2014, 7:42pm

Post #6 of 8 (146 views)
Shortcut
This is very wise [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone should be so careful before jumping to this particular conclusion! I don't know about anyone else but I would be seriously freaked by a resurrected Smaug.....:o

Sildarion~Valenar
Bree

Apr 7 2014, 6:23am

Post #7 of 8 (90 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, hope it's only a bat.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."
~ Tolkien lets Faramir speak his own view on war and glory

boldog
Rohan

Apr 7 2014, 9:15am

Post #8 of 8 (87 views)
Shortcut
NO THANKYOU! [In reply to] Can't Post

BO5A is Azog and Bolgs focus. Leave Smaug for laketown and thats it! I do not want to see an epic war led by a dragon of all people!! So unrealistic it would turn out to be! Bo5a has so much potential to be a very realistic, relatable, and emotional battle. Having Smaug even present during it, will greatly ruin it.

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.