Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
One for the Ladies - which is the very worst?
Poll: One for the Ladies - which is the very worst?
Too large (is that what he thinks of me?)
Too small (what am I supposed to do with this?)
Too long
Too short
Out of fashion
A colour you dislike
A colour which mismathches your complexion
Wrong texture, or fabric
Too expensive
Other
Forgetting your birthday altogether
View Results (45 votes)

sador
Half-elven

Apr 2 2014, 6:23am

Post #1 of 12 (442 views)
Shortcut
One for the Ladies - which is the very worst? Can't Post

The story runs thus:
Last week was my wife's birthday. To celebrate the event, I went to the dentist the day before. Pirate
So she suggested that I pass through a men's clothes store nearby, and get myself something for the coming spring. Which I duly did.
When I came home, I was welcomed with a big smile - which turned into disappointment. It turned out that the store gave me a plastic bag on which was written "Ladies", and she thought I had surprised her.

The point is, she had specifically told me not to buy her clothes - which I know better than to try, anyway. And she did get something else. But still...

So as a bemused YCB (Y-chromosome bearer), I'm asking you YCFs (Y-chromosome free), which would be the worst possible present?

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2014, 6:46am

Post #2 of 12 (280 views)
Shortcut
Bless your heart! [In reply to] Can't Post

Clothes are usually a kind of a no win situation. For me, too large ( for the reason you gave) or too small (because it might be a hint, and also it just makes me depressed, and that never works out well for the gift giverLaughTongue)are both pretty bad. But what has bothered me most in the past is when a long-time boyfriend gave me something too...shall we say, sexyBlush I'm just not that kind of girl and it made me feel like he didn't appreciate me for who I am.

As for forgetting a birthday, my late step-dad always forgot my mom's b'day, but because he was so giving all the rest of the time, it didn't matter.

Good for you for trying to figure it out.

(This post was edited by zarabia on Apr 2 2014, 6:49am)

dik-dik
Lorien

Apr 2 2014, 9:17am

Post #3 of 12 (267 views)
Shortcut
wow, until I saw the results I thought it was going to be no contest! [In reply to] Can't Post

Forgetting a person's birthday is pretty bad, but gifts that show a total lack of interest in what the other person likes comes up close. I know of several guys who give their girlfriends what *they themselves* like, regardless of whether the woman feels the same way and repeatedly tells them what she'd like to get. That would be a big no-no for me, because it tells me how much the other person values my wishes and wants to make me happy (not!).

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 2 2014, 12:10pm

Post #4 of 12 (287 views)
Shortcut
Forgetting altogether [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if it's not a great gift, at least he remembered you and tried to do something nice. If his heart is in the right place, as cliche as it is, it really is the thought that counts! I've gotten some so-so gifts from my husband, but knowing how much thought he put into them and seeing in his eyes how much he just wants me to be happy --that's the real gift, and I love him so much for it...bad gift or good Smile

On a more practical note: unless you know the exact article of clothing (and size) that she wants, I would skip trying to get clothes as a gift. It's just too tricky and easy (even likely) to get something that doesn't fit or isn't a style she cares for. Wink

(This post was edited by wonderinglinguist on Apr 2 2014, 12:12pm)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 2 2014, 6:57pm

Post #5 of 12 (232 views)
Shortcut
Agree! All gifts are good. [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of them can be returned for something that fits or you like better. Smile

phij2
Rivendell

Apr 2 2014, 8:02pm

Post #6 of 12 (225 views)
Shortcut
Forgetting completely is pretty bad... [In reply to] Can't Post

especially if you have been married/together for a long time

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2014, 3:41pm

Post #7 of 12 (196 views)
Shortcut
Aw, sador [In reply to] Can't Post

At least you remembered her birthday--forgetting would definitely be the worst in my book!

I think she was probably just excited at the idea of your doing something totally unexpected by buying her clothes--perhaps it was the surprise factor that she was so happy about. That's a pretty big high to come down from. Unsure

However, you don't need an "occasion" to surprise her with an unexpected gift! (Hint, hint!) Smile

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 3 2014, 8:56pm

Post #8 of 12 (181 views)
Shortcut
After 38 years together, we each buy our own presents. [In reply to] Can't Post

We've found it works better that way :-D We always say "See what you got me for my birthday?"

The worst one was probably getting bras. Clothes of any kind would be a downer, but bras? Really? That was decades ago. As the saying goes, "Toys, not ties."

Books are probably the best presents :-)

For Valentine's Day and our anniversary, we don't do presents. We make each other homemade cards, which are usually hilarious and slightly naughty, and go out to eat.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Apr 3 2014, 8:58pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 3 2014, 8:58pm

Post #9 of 12 (187 views)
Shortcut
Forgetting is the worst option! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I sympathize deeply with you: one of those moments one wishes to be a magician, and be able to pull something out of that 'ladies' bag and pull off the surprise! Laugh

(This post was edited by Brethil on Apr 3 2014, 8:58pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 4 2014, 4:22pm

Post #10 of 12 (163 views)
Shortcut
Well it didn't happen to me, but [In reply to] Can't Post

the worst gift I ever heard of was a hubby who bought his wife a weighing scale, because she was always weighing herself but complained that their bathroom scale wasn't accurate. File that under "be careful what you ask for!"Tongue

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 6 2014, 1:50pm

Post #11 of 12 (158 views)
Shortcut
Before the divorce ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

The worse birthday was when he confused "someone elses" b'day with mine ;)

He's lucky we're still great friends after 32 years of divorce! We're all a work in progress....

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 6 2014, 6:59pm

Post #12 of 12 (168 views)
Shortcut
Ouch. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know about you gramma, but my reaction would have been long and loud enough to be heard a few streets away.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.