The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Emerald City Comicon and Hobbit/LOTR

Kim
Valinor

Mar 31 2014, 2:59am

Post #1 of 7 (389 views)
Shortcut
Emerald City Comicon and Hobbit/LOTR Can't Post

Just got back from ECCC and wanted to share some fun Hobbit/LOTR stuff I came across. I saw Gandalf, Bilbo, Rosie Cotton and Thranduil via cosplayers. Brick Nation had their Legos exhibits on display and the first one I saw when I walked in was Rivendell! There was an article on the home page several months ago with lots of detailed photos from a previous display, so I’ll just post a few pictures (sorry if they’re blurry, I only had my camera phone). It included the Black Riders at the river, Aragorn and Arwen on the bridge, the dwarves about to be circled by elves, and the White Council. They also had Helm’s Deep, Bilbo & Gollum, and Laketown, which included several views of the city, including the building with the windlance, and barrels full of fish! The Rivendell pictures are below, the rest are in the next post as I couldn’t fit them all in one.

Other non-Tolkien fun stuff I saw was a whole group of cosplayers as the main Game of Thrones characters (I saw Joffrey, Margaery, Cersei and Jamie), 4 Flash Gordons running in a circle (or was it one Flash running really fast?), Shawn from Shawn of the Dead (he had red on him), a fan made (full size) TARDIS and several Doctors and companions. And yes, someone has made a t-shirt that says, “I don’t shave for Sherlock Holmes.”

All in all, a really fun weekend with lots of great panels. I saw J. August Richards, Alan Tudyk, Michael Dorn and Karen Gillan, among others. Karl Urban was the only LOTR special guest, but unfortunately, I wasn't able to see him. I’m definitely taking the day off on Friday next year to see all 3 days!

Smile

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=719226;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed

Kim
Valinor

Mar 31 2014, 3:04am

Post #2 of 7 (347 views)
Shortcut
Additional photos [In reply to] Can't Post

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=719226;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 31 2014, 9:38am

Post #3 of 7 (342 views)
Shortcut
It sure looks and sounds like a lot of fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing it with us, Kim! Smile

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2014, 11:46am

Post #4 of 7 (336 views)
Shortcut
Wow, Kim! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting the photos. I would have been hard pressed to attend the rest of the convention, since I would have stood around staring at Rivendell all day! Blush

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Kim
Valinor

Mar 31 2014, 4:51pm

Post #5 of 7 (358 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it would take a long time to see all the details [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately, we couldn't spend too much time in front of the displays since there was a line, but I was able to spot lots of random elves scattered about and Bilbo on a balcony. The Lego pieces were really tiny too, so it was really intricate, and the guy said it took them about 4 months to build (although they were also working on a Harry Potter Quidditch pitch at the same time, which was also really cool). I loved the Laketown one as well as it was totally unexpected and that one had about 5-6 separate sections with lots of townsfolk, guards, and dwarves.

I forgot to mention, one other great non-Tolkien item was a full scale, life size, radio controlled replica of R2-D2, complete with actual sound, totally done in Legos! It was really cool!

Smile

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 1 2014, 8:47am

Post #6 of 7 (324 views)
Shortcut
Very cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's some incredible Lego-work.

Thanks for posting the pictures! Sounds like it was a good time.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 1 2014, 6:07pm

Post #7 of 7 (433 views)
Shortcut
Amazing work with Legos... [In reply to] Can't Post

The falls at Rivendell - never would think you could get such a look with little rectangular bricks! Great imaginations at work. Thanks for posting Kim!

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room April, 2014. *The Call for Submissions is up*!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.