Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Any other Game of Thrones fans here?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 28 2014, 8:40pm

Post #1 of 37 (715 views)
Shortcut
Any other Game of Thrones fans here? Can't Post

Another series where you wait, and wait, and wait.....

My favorites are Tyrion, Arya, and Jaqen H'ghar (who definitely needs to be brought back w. the original actor).
I live for seeing the little *bleep* Joffrey getting his.Evil

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 28 2014, 8:45pm

Post #2 of 37 (473 views)
Shortcut
are you talking about books or tv shows? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know the tv show often gets talked about in the weekly movie, etc discussion thread. A few of us were catching up on season three in the last few weeks on DVD and it got discussed in some of the last few threads.

and I bet the books get discussed in the weekly book thread. (although I haven't checked in recently).

There's a discussion of sorts on the pollantir about the books.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 28 2014, 9:13pm

Post #3 of 37 (456 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! I meant the TV show! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the books of course. But, far worse than the wait for the Hobbit movies, is the wait for "Winds of Winter" - unbelievable.

At least the new season of the TV show is finally upon us - will check other threads.

Calithilel
Rivendell

Mar 28 2014, 9:29pm

Post #4 of 37 (453 views)
Shortcut
I am a fan [In reply to] Can't Post

Well i think, i am looking forward to the upcoming season, the more i watch the trailer the more i want to see it.
I just really really truly really hope this season will be even better :D

I have the books, and i was planning on reading the books before the season come, but... I just had to read LOTR all over again xD

Though i can say i am more fan of the tv show than the books :)

My favorites are Tyrion, Joffrey, Jon and Cercei.
A friend of me and I hope that Tyrion slaps Joffrey again xD

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together." - Thorin Oakenshield

"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf the Grey

"Im not a psychopath, Im a highly functioning sociopath with your number." - Sherlock

"Some people are worth melting for." - Olaf, Frozen

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Mar 28 2014, 10:05pm

Post #5 of 37 (443 views)
Shortcut
Already booked Winds of Winter on Amazon... [In reply to] Can't Post

Luckily I finished Dance with Dragons only last December, but I haven't seen the 3rd series yet.
My favourite character is Jon Snow: I also like Sansa's story line, first with Sandor then on the Eyrie, and I have appreciated the path of Jaime Lannister and his relationship with Brienne.
Tyrion is Tyrion, of courseWink

Quentyn Martell's story fills me with sadness, I always think of him as "unfortunate", I can't help it.

Do you ship Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark?

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 28 2014, 10:09pm

Post #6 of 37 (445 views)
Shortcut
I try to keep the subject line of the movie thread consistent to make it easy to search for [In reply to] Can't Post

so look for any thread (on Off Topic) that reads:

What movies, tv shows, or other visual media did you watch last weekend?

The people watching the DVD were posting since it came out (beginning of the month?).

For older comments/conversations, you'd be best just doing a site search. But if you're looking for your own conversation, then a new thread is most appropriate.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

acheron
Gondor

Mar 29 2014, 12:24am

Post #7 of 37 (452 views)
Shortcut
never seen the show but I love the books [In reply to] Can't Post

GRRM just posted a new sample chapter from TWOW if you don't mind spoiling yourself a bit.

It is "awesome" in that ASOIAF sense where the events are pretty horrible but you wind up cheering anyway.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Mar 29 2014, 12:58am

Post #8 of 37 (427 views)
Shortcut
Count me in. :-). // [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 29 2014, 1:30am

Post #9 of 37 (430 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Love Tyrion slapping Joffrey, who certainly deserves it, and worseEvil

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 29 2014, 1:34am

Post #10 of 37 (436 views)
Shortcut
No, I am going to burn [In reply to] Can't Post

I want Arya to grow up fast and hook up with Jaqen and live happily ever after, with all their knives etc.

And I want Sansa to realize Tyrion is an utterly wonderful husband and man, and realize no woman could do better, ever. Except for Thorin Oakenshield, of course.

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 29 2014, 1:36am

Post #11 of 37 (433 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha love Arya [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved that chapter. Just wonder if she is going to get into trouble for taking care of her own business w. the Kindly Man.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2014, 2:11am

Post #12 of 37 (428 views)
Shortcut
I am absolutely DYING waiting for Season 4 to start... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was doing okay until a few days ago. Then the cast started popping up on talk shows, the premieres started happening, etc.

This is officially the longest 2 weeks I've hard to endure since the period before The Fellowship of the Ring was released. Cool

I'm also a reader of the books, and just knowing what lies ahead this season is making the wait even more unbearable.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Kim
Valinor

Mar 29 2014, 4:44am

Post #13 of 37 (438 views)
Shortcut
Yes (books and tv show) [In reply to] Can't Post

although I kind of stalled out in the middle of book 5. Will try to pick it up again in time for the Winds of Winter. Maybe I should read some of the excerpts that have just been posted to get re-energized.

Looking forward to season 4 since it's based on the second half of book 3, which was pretty much non-stop after the Red Wedding. I know what's coming and can't wait to see it.

On a related note, I saw a post on Facebook today that was pretty funny. A teacher in Belgium was fed up with her class being too noisy. She asked if any watched the tv show and most of them did. She then said that going forward, if it got too noisy, she would write the next character to die on the board. The room was silenced.

Laugh

As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=719226;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed

sherlock
Gondor

Mar 29 2014, 1:22pm

Post #14 of 37 (408 views)
Shortcut
Tyrion [In reply to] Can't Post

is my favorite. He's short, funny, smart & kind. Plus, he likes to drink wine. What's not to like?

Maciliel
Valinor

Mar 29 2014, 2:14pm

Post #15 of 37 (398 views)
Shortcut
a girl also misses jaqen h'ghar! // [In reply to] Can't Post

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 29 2014, 3:53pm

Post #16 of 37 (398 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Sansa drove me nuts in the books - but she is a young girl - hoping as she grows up she dumps the "wanting a handsome prince" stuff.

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 29 2014, 5:49pm

Post #17 of 37 (399 views)
Shortcut
A lot of folks stalled out w. Dragons [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure I can honestly say I've actually read it word by word, because it's such a morass of words and characters that seem to come from nowhere and more and more words. Found myself desperately searching for what was going on with the characters I did care about, and wondering where all this meandering was going.

Many folks had issues w. Dragons - not sure I wouldn't tell you just to get a a summary off a website. And it's not that I don't absolutely love a great big meaty book or film. I could have easily watched a 6-hour Hobbit film and wanted more. But IMO Dragons has some real problems - on the other hand Martin is a terrific writer, and hoping all this will get tied together, eventually.
Was kind of a shame tho as we all had waited so long for ADWD, and then it was for me like getting lost in Mirkwood, tho there were some good nuggets here and there.

As it is, the wait for Winds is insane, I don't even track the book release any more, and am looking at some new up and coming authors. LOL, last summer I thought Hobbit fans were as forlorn as GOT fans (and many of us are both) endlessly waiting for some news of DOS, waiting for a new trailer - agonizing.Unsure

tsmith675
Gondor

Mar 29 2014, 5:52pm

Post #18 of 37 (393 views)
Shortcut
Oooh Me Me Me! I AM! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Game of Thrones. I'm not a book reader, but I'm definitely an enthusiast for the show. I have a lot of favorite characters but quite a few of them have unfortunately...

... Well you get the idea. My favorite characters that are still alive have to be Tyrion, Daenerys, and Jon Snow. I also grew a fondness for the Hound this past season.

Another character that's growing on me is Jaime. I absolutely hated him through Seasons 1 & 2. But his character has gone through... a pretty drastic change. And I can't wait to see how that's effected him now that he's back in King's Landing.

And we share a mutual hatred for Joffrey, although I think everyone does. I'm interested to see where Theon's plot goes as well.

Game of Thrones is such a great show and it gets my highest recommendation. It really isn't a show for everyone though. There are some people I tell that it just isn't for them.

But for me, it's phenomenal. My favorite show on television right now. (Followed very closely by True Detective)

Honestly, April 6th can't come fast enough.

Also, Dragons are awesome. Anything that can pull off dragons is awesome in my book.

"This day we FIGHT!"

(This post was edited by tsmith675 on Mar 29 2014, 5:53pm)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Mar 29 2014, 6:16pm

Post #19 of 37 (390 views)
Shortcut
Book readers, please include *SPOILERS* in your subject line if you decide to mention details [In reply to] Can't Post

Not all GOT fans have read the books and know what's coming. Thanks! Smile

Not only haven't I read the books, but I won't be able to see season 4 till it comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray next year. Why do they have to make us wait so long?? Aaargh. Unsure

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2014, 6:32pm

Post #20 of 37 (391 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes I envy you non-book readers... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because you get to experience this show with fresh eyes, and don't know what's coming.

I'm dreadfully sorry that you have to wait for the Blu-ray/DVD. That would drive me insane. Crazy On the bright side, the seasons of this show play more like 10 hour films - so in a way, it's nice that you get to absorb it all as one giant piece instead of one episode a week.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2014, 6:40pm

Post #21 of 37 (381 views)
Shortcut
Love it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Season 4 coming up in about a week!! Can't wait!!

*Season 3 spoilers*Those who know me from the Hobbit movie board know I can be a bit of a book purist, and I'm no different with GoT. There a few things that have me a little worried as to the direction they're going in (Jaime back in KL too soon, Yara/Asha setting out from the Iron Islands in what looks to be a subplot that isn't found in the books at all), but all-in-all I'm pretty excited. There should be a whole lot of exciting things happening this season.

Oh, and as for Jaqen H'ghar being played by the same actor, I sort of doubt it. Remember, he has a different face and identity when he leaves Arya, so it really wouldn't fit with the character's arc for him to be played by the same guy.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2014, 6:42pm

Post #22 of 37 (389 views)
Shortcut
One nice thing about the show (very minor book spoilers - no specifics)... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is that it's likely many of things that some readers don't care for in the past two books will most assuredly be streamlined heavily. With the recent news that the show will be going for 7 (possibly 8) seasons, the showrunners are likely looking to maintain the pace they've established so far.

I, myself, rather love the last two books - but even so, I don't think they're suitable for adaptation as they are. There's so much internal character development and a vast array of new characters that are introduced, and there will need to be some major reworking of the material for the television show.

It will be very interesting to see how the show unfolds after the upcoming season. Smile

- Viggo Mortensen

Sunflower
Valinor

Mar 29 2014, 6:59pm

Post #23 of 37 (382 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

That is just TOO funny. I wonder how old these kids were though?!Crazy I wish we could get the follow-up to that story in a couple of weeks. Isn't a certain major character death rumored to happen in, er...Episode 2? Um, you know the one I mean....I wonder what will happen then. Maybe the teacher will have to suspend the learning part of the class on Monday morning April 14. Kids won't be able to concentrate...I'm sure you're just as DYING to reveal who it is as I am, but can't spoil things now for the TV-firsters can we?EvilEvil
I wonder if we'll have Internet programs and YouTube threads devoted to filmed fan reactions...I suspect the fans who secretly filmed the Red Wedding reactions will be whipping their cellphones out again....I can see the media reaction now....I'd better shut up before I reveal too much...
Valar Morghulis!

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2014, 7:00pm

Post #24 of 37 (386 views)
Shortcut
Don't think that's recent news... [In reply to] Can't Post

They've been saying for a while that the original plan was 7 seasons. Some big wig over at HBO said recently that HBO will allow it to go on as long as the showrunners need it to, so it's really all up to D&D.

They may have to go on longer than 7, because I don't see GRRM finishing up book 7 by 2017. An extra season or two to stall for time wouldn't be such a bad idea (I know I'd be fine with that).

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Mar 29 2014, 7:05pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2014, 7:08pm

Post #25 of 37 (389 views)
Shortcut
Here's it is... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is what I'm referring to. It's from March 11. The consensus in the GoT fan community is that David & Dan won't be waiting on George. He's told them the outline of how the rest of the story goes, and if he doesn't pick up the pace, the show will likely (at this stage probably) finish first.

'Game of Thrones' team: 7 seasons is the plan | Inside TV | EW.com

Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss tell EW that seven is probably the magic number.

It feels like this is the midpoint for us, Benioff says. If were going to go seven seasons, which is the plan, season 4 is right down the middle, the pivot point.

The seven season goal-line has been floated in the media before, but the writer-producers of the acclaimed fantasy hit series says theyre firmer than before that three more seasons sounds about right.

I would say its the goal weve had from the beginning, Benioff says. It was our unstated goal, because to start on a show and say your goal is seven seasons is the height of lunacy. Once we got to the point where we felt like were going to be able to tell this tale to its conclusion, that became [an even clearer] goal. Seven gods, seven kingdoms, seven seasons. It feels right to us.

Seven sounds okay to HBO, as well. Or perhaps eight. Im expecting to be sitting down with Dan and David to talk season 5 and well talk about how things are looking, says HBO programming president Michael Lombardo. Were all very mindful that theyre having conversations all the time with [author George R.R. Martin]. I think they do feel bullish enough that theres enough story to deliver through season 7. I hate to sound greedy, but our longest shows have gone 7 or 8 seasons, so seven is a nice long run for us.

Of course, theres the whole matter of Thrones catching up to Martins source material, since the author has released only five of his planned seven-novel Song of Ice and Fire series. Check out last years exclusive deep dive on the issue of Thrones catching up. Thrones returns to HBO on April 6.

- Viggo Mortensen

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.