Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Have you seen Bakshi's LOTR and/or TH by Rankin/Bass?
Poll: Have you seen Bakshi's LOTR and/or TH by Rankin/Bass?
Yes, both
Yes, but only Bakshi's LOTR
Yes, but only The Hobbit by Rankin/Bass
No, neither
View Results (47 votes)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 25 2014, 10:17pm

Post #1 of 22 (342 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen Bakshi's LOTR and/or TH by Rankin/Bass? Can't Post

I'm curious to know.

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 25 2014, 10:26pm

Post #2 of 22 (232 views)
Shortcut
I've seen each of them once [In reply to] Can't Post

and that was enough for me.

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 26 2014, 12:23am

Post #3 of 22 (215 views)
Shortcut
Both [In reply to] Can't Post

And never again

All due respect - they creep me out. Man what did they dream in the 70s to make such horrfying stuff? Laugh I personally just can't watch them. I think they're awful in every way.

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

Mar 26 2014, 1:56am

Post #4 of 22 (214 views)
Shortcut
I like them [In reply to] Can't Post

They are not 'great' films, but they are certainly entertaining. I like them both in their own ways.

Longbottom Leaf
Lorien

Mar 26 2014, 2:26am

Post #5 of 22 (208 views)
Shortcut
I've seen The Hobbit.. [In reply to] Can't Post

But not LOTR. I thought it was ok.

sador
Half-elven

Mar 26 2014, 5:18am

Post #6 of 22 (211 views)
Shortcut
I'm a Bakshi-firster. [In reply to] Can't Post

So it couldn't have been that bad.

demnation
Rohan

Mar 26 2014, 11:17am

Post #7 of 22 (200 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and they are both terrible in their own special way [In reply to] Can't Post

(I'm assuming you are also asking what we think of the films!) TH is cringe worthy and I have a rather special dislike of it. Bakshi's LOTR has a few redeeming qualities: the animation is (largely) great and it's wonderfully dark and moody. On the other hand, most of the characters are turned into dumb caricatures, especially Sam.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 26 2014, 11:29am

Post #8 of 22 (211 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm assuming you are also asking what we think of the films!

I was. I haven't seen either of them myself, but I'm playing with the idea of doing it and thought I'd hear what people have to say about them before (or if) I was to embark on this "perilous journey". Smile

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Mar 26 2014, 11:31am)

Annael
Immortal

Mar 26 2014, 3:41pm

Post #9 of 22 (190 views)
Shortcut
oh yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I was in the theater for the first showing of Bakshi's LOTR. It wasn't good, but it was all we had, back then, and I was so disappointed he never finished it (because the Rankin/Bass version was SO, so much worse!).

Never dared to dream we'd ever get a live-action film, much less three, of my beloved story.

Which is why I never joined the ranks of those bewailing how PJ had "ruined" the book, even if I didn't like everything he did. AT LEAST HE DID IT.

Now I have hope that in another 20 years, I'll get to participate in the interactive holographic version Smile

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 26 2014, 6:02pm

Post #10 of 22 (193 views)
Shortcut
I like the beginning of Bakshi and much of R/B [In reply to] Can't Post

R/B got some things right that PJ got wrong, IMO. For example, the rescue of Frodo by Sam in Cirith Ungol. I always cry during the cartoon, but PJ's version didn't affect me that way (except for the wonderful line "and that's for my old gaffer!"). I also cry at the end of R/B, and I don't at the end of PJ's, though I know many people do. On the other hand, the orcs and elves in R/B are pretty silly, and they destroyed Aragorn's character in the opposite direction of what PJ did. (In R/B he's arrogant to the point of being foolish, and in PJ's version he's so unsure of himself as to be foolish.)

I may never forgive Bakshi for releasing his LotR without telling people it was only the first half. I went the day it came out, and was bitterly disappointed. I did like the opening, but the battle scenes were too bizarre.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Mar 26 2014, 6:03pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 26 2014, 8:30pm

Post #11 of 22 (183 views)
Shortcut
Also, 'Return of the King' (Rankin/Bass) [In reply to] Can't Post

You forgot one. Although, I don't own a copy of the RotK animated film.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 26 2014, 8:32pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 26 2014, 8:59pm

Post #12 of 22 (176 views)
Shortcut
Darn, I did! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always forget something. ALWAYS.

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 26 2014, 9:39pm

Post #13 of 22 (169 views)
Shortcut
I've never seen that one. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You forgot one. Although, I don't own a copy of the RotK animated film.

That's the one with the song I keep hearing about, Where There's a Whip There's a Way, right?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 26 2014, 9:47pm

Post #14 of 22 (165 views)
Shortcut
That's the one! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That's the one with the song I keep hearing about, Where There's a Whip There's a Way, right?

Video clip

malickfan
Gondor

Mar 28 2014, 6:15pm

Post #15 of 22 (151 views)
Shortcut
Yes, several times [In reply to] Can't Post

I own both on DVD, whilst the visuals are rather bizzare, with some frankly odd scripting and confusing editing (Boromir the Viking, Aruman/Saruman...) I actually really enjoy them-they don't always make alot of sense, but I find both to be pretty enjoyable, and personally Rakin Bass reflected The Hobbit I envisioned better in 75 minutes, than PJ did in 6 hours. At least there wasn't any Azog...

At the very least It's always interesting to get other viewpoints on Middle Earth.

Elskidor
Rohan

Mar 28 2014, 6:33pm

Post #16 of 22 (143 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Own all three dvd and vhs. The hobbit is decent, while TRoK is less decent, and LoTR is horrible. The music in TH and ROTK is worth it by itself, regardless of animation and voice actors.

Elwen
Lorien

Mar 28 2014, 6:53pm

Post #17 of 22 (152 views)
Shortcut
And also Return of the King...I actually really like them, and would argue [In reply to] Can't Post

that some treatments are much better than PJ's interpretations. I think parts Eowyn vs the Witch King are much more satisfying in the cartoon, for example.

I liked TH and RotK better than Bakshi, though.

Patty
Immortal

Mar 28 2014, 7:32pm

Post #18 of 22 (137 views)
Shortcut
LotR once. [In reply to] Can't Post

'Nuff said.

dik-dik
Lorien

Mar 28 2014, 8:39pm

Post #19 of 22 (138 views)
Shortcut
Only the LotR, sadly. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to see the Rankin-Bass TH, but they stopped selling the DVD here years ago, back when LotR was in cinemas. I doubt I'd get the version I need abroad, and I'll save watching the film online (not a fan) for when TABA has come and gone and still noone sells the animated TH here.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 30 2014, 1:21am

Post #20 of 22 (129 views)
Shortcut
Both! [In reply to] Can't Post

Also the animated Return of the King they had on US TV when I was a child.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 30 2014, 1:24pm

Post #21 of 22 (125 views)
Shortcut
I've always loved his M-e films [In reply to] Can't Post

Because for so long he was the only one out there feeding my fan-needs :)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2014, 12:31pm

Post #22 of 22 (114 views)
Shortcut
I saw Bakshi's LotR in highschool [In reply to] Can't Post

at an all-night video party with my friends (back when video stores had both VHS and Beta copies).

I've still never seen all of the Rankin/Bass Hobbit (just bits of it on YouTube), although i did receive the story album somewhere around my 7th birthday. Don't remember much about it though.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.