The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
** ~ Movie Trivial Pursuit ~ ** Answers to Jan 27 game

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 3 2008, 5:10pm

Post #1 of 5 (3381 views)
Shortcut
** ~ Movie Trivial Pursuit ~ ** Answers to Jan 27 game Can't Post

First: scoring. It's been our SOP to score these quizzes. For my part, I don't care what you answer as long as you're getting some enjoyment from the activity. Since tiamy is not scoring his quizzes, I'm going to be emboldened about not scoring mine. The game and participant answers were HERE if you want to score your own.

But feel free to speak out if you'd really like to see scores. I can do that.

Next: How do I chose a question for one of these quizzes? Well, for better or worse, I do not chose questions like this:
Who is the head of Gandalf's order?
Who is known as Lord of All Horses?
Those are just too easy for us. And I don't chose questions (or many, anyhow) that seem impossible to have picked up (most of these are from the appendices material) and then remembered, like:
How many screens did The Fellowship of the Ring open in the US on: 2495, 3359, or 4,794?
And besides, my own personal response to that is "Who Cares!"

So I'm looking for ones that have a little challenge to them, can provide good fodder for our humorists, or interest me. If I wonder what the answer is or wonder how we know the answer in the movie, then I'm likely to go searching for the answer. So, here we go.

1. Who ushers the cake-carrying Hobbits through the crowd at Bilbo's party?
Merry

Most of you got this right. When I read the question my only thought was, "They carried the cake through the crowd?"
Made me look.

2. What was the name of Éowyn's father, the brother-in-law of Théoden?
Éomund
Gríma: You see much Éomer, son of Éomund.
Interesting question for the board game as it requires some extrapolation on our part. I knew we all knew the answer from the book but I was curious how we learned the answer from the movies. We find out the name of Éomer's father and so we assume it's the same father for Éowyn - having remembered their sibling relationship.

3. Théoden to Saruman: "We shall have peace when you hang from (what) for the sport of (what) ."?
We shall have peace when you hang from gibbets for the sport of your crows. ,

This line is just plain fun because of Lee's repeat of the statement.
Text in green from Wikipedia
Gibbet usually refers to a gallows-type structure from which the dead bodies of executed criminals were hanged on public display to deter other existing or potential criminals. It can also be used as a verb, denoting the action of placing criminals in gibbets. This practice is also called "hanging in chains"
Apparently a gibbet did not have to be a gallows. But since the verb 'hang' is used, I suspect that's what is meant here.

4. What weapon did Elrond wield in the battle of the Last Alliance of Men and Elves?
sword

Now, what intrigued me about this one was my recollection that Elrond had passed his sword down to Arwen.

I decided it was a nugget of shiny stuff and I went digging. Text in green from Wikipedia
In Peter Jackson's film trilogy The Lord of the Rings, based on J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Hadhafang is a sword used by Arwen, daughter of Elrond. The sword and its history are not part of the original story, but were invented for these movies.
According to the movie trilogy's official publicity material, Hadhafang once belonged to the Elven princess Idril, who wed a mortal Man (Tuor) and bore Eärendil, the father of Elrond, who in turn was father to Arwen. Before Arwen's birth, Elrond wielded Hadhafang at the end of the Second Age of Middle-earth, during the Last Alliance of Elves and Men in the great battle against Sauron on the slopes of Mount Doom.

Later his daughter, Arwen, used Hadhafang when she aided Frodo in his escape from the Ringwraiths. Inscribed on the blade are Cirth (runes) in Sindarin that say, Aen estar Hadhafang i chathol hen, thand arod dan i thang an i arwen. This translates to, "This blade is called Hadhafang, a noble defense against the enemy throng for a noble lady." (In Sindarin, "Arwen" actually means "noble (or royal) woman").

From Gwaith-i-Phethdain

5. What Fellowship actor is fluent in four languages: English, Spanish, Danish, and Elvish?
Viggo Mortensen

As I noted, I would not consider any actor in these movies fluent in Elvish. Additionally, I've been compiling these questions and researching over the last month or so and after transcribing this one, I ran across something reminding me that as much as Viggo learned Elvish for LOTR, he also learned Lakota for Hidalgo. So I added that language in.

I also found this quote in an article about Eastern Promises "Mortensen, whose mother is American and father is Danish, grew up partly in Argentina and speaks Danish, Spanish, Norwegian, French, Italian and Swedish." Coincidentally his book is called SignLanguage although I can find no indication that he knows sign language.

6. What Wellington, NZ based composing group was responsible for some of the 'cultural' music of the movie:
"Flaming Red hair" for Bilbo's birthday party and "The Passing of the Elves" for FOTR (now available on the FOTR box set)
Éowyn's lament for TTT (extended DVD) and various other misc drinking songs etc

Okay, here's a third reason I add a question: because I think people should know, or would be interested in knowing, the answer. This is mentioned in appendices/commentary sections.
The cultural songs were a collaboration between Plan 9 Music (who is David Donaldson, Janet Roddick and Stephen Roche)

and David Long ... all from New Zealand.
weaver: I thought "Flaming Red Hair" was the name of the group.
magpie: That's just the name of the piece played at the Long Expected Party.
I love Shore's music but I loved these pieces just as much. I was thrilled they put a full length version of the Wood Elves song on the Complete Recordings of the FOTR. I only wish they'd do the same for Éowyn's Lament for Théodred.

The phrase, "Plan 9" comes from the movie, "Plan 9 From Outer Space" which was directed by Ed Wood.
Tim Burton made a movie about Ed Wood entitled, Ed Wood.
The score of the movie, Ed Wood, was composed by Howard Shore.
To Owly: I looked up Wurzels. I recognized the source for your improvised lyrics: Ohhhhh Oi've got a brand new lovely 'Obbit 'Ole, and Oi'll give you the key! as being "Brand New Key". (I was still listening to top 40 in 1971.) But I hadn't heard the Wurzels. Brand New Key is fun to sing and this one is just as fun. I have to say, they sound very US Midwestern. I would never guess they were from the UK.

Thanks for playing, all.

Owlyross
Rohan

Feb 4 2008, 12:41pm

Post #2 of 5 (2950 views)
Shortcut
The Wurzels [In reply to] Can't Post

Are from the Southwest of England, when they all speak loike faaarmers... Well, a bit like Samwise actually. But it's all zoider, and ow's it gooing moi lovely?

I didn't consider the midwestern connection, But it's farming country isn't it?

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 4 2008, 3:50pm

Post #3 of 5 (2943 views)
Shortcut
yeah.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Midwest has a lot of farms. The accent I'm hearing in the Wurzels sounds a lot like an accent someone would affect to indicate a 'rural' unsophisticated (non-urban) person. TV and movies get the midwest a bit odd but the viewers tend to recognize the intent of personality as much as the geographical location. I tried to place what it sounded like specifically. It's not Minnesotan... we're all long o's from the Scandinavians. I realized it reminded me a lot of the guys on the Red Green show which actually takes place in Canada and that seems to be it... a Canadian accent.

I totally would not have guessed UK.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2008, 4:23pm

Post #4 of 5 (2941 views)
Shortcut
We have an accent?// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 4 2008, 4:47pm

Post #5 of 5 (3232 views)
Shortcut
ja sure... you betca // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.