Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Just curious
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 24 2014, 3:46am

Post #1 of 109 (621 views)
Shortcut
Just curious Can't Post

How does one become a moderator?

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 24 2014, 6:18am

Post #2 of 109 (367 views)
Shortcut
By invitation only. [In reply to] Can't Post

Basic criteria include:

Length and consistency of participation - A person has to have been here long enough to be familiar with not just the rules but with the board community/culture and likely to be around for the long term.

Grace under pressure - It's very important for the Mods to be able to keep their cool in the midst of arguments and insults, as the title makes you fair game in some peoples' minds for all sorts of trash talk. You have to be able to deal with it and not respond in kind. We take note of who handles conflict well.

We don't add mods very often. When there is a need for more help, we compile a list of possible candidates who fit the criteria and the specific need (for instance, if we need more coverage of a particular time zone), then pass it to the site owners for review/approval, then the person or persons is asked if they're interested. It's not a job everyone wants or would like. Being a mod can be a lot of fun, but is also often aggravating, time consuming, and at times can really get in the way of being able to participate and enjoy the discussions because you're dealing with problems or cranky people behind the scenes instead.

FYI - this post was moved because the Feedback board is where we talk about the boards themselves and deal with technical issues or other problems and questions. If you need to get help or the attention of a Mod, posting here is the surest way to do it. Smile

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Mar 24 2014, 6:19am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 24 2014, 7:49am

Post #3 of 109 (376 views)
Shortcut
And here was me thinking ... [In reply to] Can't Post

That mods were chosen on whether they could decipher this acronym:

A.D.M.I.N

(The answer, of course, is Always Deleting Major Idiotic Narcissists.) Wink

Though, I'm a bit worried that was only MODERATEly funny ...

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 24 2014, 8:21am

Post #4 of 109 (360 views)
Shortcut
Silverlode, you forgot one thing [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mod Dress Code:

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 24 2014, 1:29pm

Post #5 of 109 (334 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just curious.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2014, 4:16pm

Post #6 of 109 (324 views)
Shortcut
*snert* Now everytime I see one of the Moderators around the boards... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to picture them like that! Laugh Strike a pose guys!Tongue

"So fare thee well, my own true love
I'll think of you night and day
A place in my mind, you will surely find
Although I am so far away
And when I'm alone, far away from home
I'll think of the good times once more
Until I can make it back someday here
To Paddy's green shamrock shore"
--The High Kings

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 24 2014, 4:29pm

Post #7 of 109 (346 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking... [In reply to] Can't Post

that a fun amusement would be to post our speculative pictures of what the mods look like.

how about?

or....

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 24 2014, 4:35pm)

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Mar 24 2014, 4:45pm

Post #8 of 109 (331 views)
Shortcut
#1 when things are going well. #2 when [In reply to] Can't Post

a stern application of rules is needed--or an expansion of the boards, where no Mod has gone before.

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Mar 24 2014, 4:47pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 24 2014, 4:51pm

Post #9 of 109 (340 views)
Shortcut
Fun. Introducing the ... [In reply to] Can't Post

TORn-etubbies!

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 24 2014, 4:52pm

Post #10 of 109 (305 views)
Shortcut
I see what you did with Photoshop there. ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Mar 24 2014, 5:02pm

Post #11 of 109 (320 views)
Shortcut
Let's name them! (See below) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure how many admins there are, and the second has fewer than the first. But if there are more characters than admins, it just gives us more possible choices . . .

EvilCool

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Mar 24 2014, 5:05pm

Post #12 of 109 (302 views)
Shortcut
Aaaah! I shall behave, I promise!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 24 2014, 6:35pm

Post #13 of 109 (296 views)
Shortcut
Purple is *so* my colour. :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 24 2014, 6:37pm

Post #14 of 109 (309 views)
Shortcut
When I do one of those 'which Muppet are you' quizzes [In reply to] Can't Post

I always get Beaker. Every freaking time.

Come nowhere near me with a Bunsen burner.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Moahunter
Rohan

Mar 24 2014, 7:02pm

Post #15 of 109 (309 views)
Shortcut
" we compile a list of possible candidates" [In reply to] Can't Post

Who are "we" and who are the site owners?

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 24 2014, 7:12pm

Post #16 of 109 (297 views)
Shortcut
The New Istari [In reply to] Can't Post

The Fellowship of the Antennae:

Dipsy the Green, Laa-Laa the Yellow, Po the Red, and Tinky Winky the Purple.

Lord of the Eh-Oh:

Naughty Noo-noo the Vacuum Cleaner:

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 24 2014, 7:47pm

Post #17 of 109 (297 views)
Shortcut
I get [In reply to] Can't Post

Miss Piggy, but I always try to make my answers come out to Fozzie Bear, He's my favorite, although Miss Piggy is probably more accurate. Cool

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 24 2014, 7:49pm

Post #18 of 109 (299 views)
Shortcut
Site owners are TPTB (The Powers That Be) [In reply to] Can't Post

Four people own the site - Xoanon, Calisuri, Corvar and Tehanu.

The current admins usually compile the first list of candidates, then develop a final list of 2-3 potential admins. That final list is shared with the owners for approval.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Mar 24 2014, 7:49pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 24 2014, 7:56pm

Post #19 of 109 (303 views)
Shortcut
The Four Founders [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 24 2014, 8:40pm

Post #20 of 109 (283 views)
Shortcut
Er...looks like I'm seeing red... [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush

Tongue

Laugh!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 24 2014, 9:59pm

Post #21 of 109 (282 views)
Shortcut
It's not easy being green... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 25 2014, 1:23am

Post #22 of 109 (266 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

That were a good'un Daniel.Sly

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 25 2014, 1:24am

Post #23 of 109 (264 views)
Shortcut
OH! [In reply to] Can't Post

Star Trek uniforms!Crazy

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 25 2014, 1:26am

Post #24 of 109 (265 views)
Shortcut
I can't believe that 2nd picture [In reply to] Can't Post

with my last post lol.

— J.R.R. Tolkien

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 25 2014, 6:26am

Post #25 of 109 (267 views)
Shortcut
I have tried and failed [In reply to] Can't Post

to think of an equally witty retort to that. So instead, I'll just give the response that I actually said when I read it:

"Ha! Nice one! ...and true." Cool

Silverlode

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.