Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Where might I learn more about Dwarves?

CitizenKane

Mar 23 2014, 7:48pm

Post #1 of 5 (184 views)
Shortcut
Where might I learn more about Dwarves? Can't Post

Hi there,

I am a big fan of LOTR and the Hobbit, but I would consider myself to be, at best, a Tolkien neophyte (the two books I just mentioned being the only of his works I've actually read so far).

That being said, I am looking to branch out into more of his works now, but there is so much I am not sure where to begin.

In the first instance, one of the races I have been most interested in while reading Tolkien so far is that of the Dwarves. Therefore, would anyone be able to point me in the direction of any Tolkien works that deal more extensively with the history of Dwarves? I am sure they are discussed a bit in the Silmarillion (which is at the top of my list to buy next) and in some of the 'History of Middle-Earth' volumes, but I'd appreciate if anyone could help me narrow down anything where I can find out most about the Dwarves.

Many thanks!

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 23 2014, 11:02pm

Post #2 of 5 (93 views)
Shortcut
Well the only real backstory I know of that talks about the history of the dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

Is found in appendix a at the back of ROTK. And then chapter 2 of the Silmarilion which tells of their creation. I am sure the HOME has many small early draft references as well. Also see chapter 22 of the Silmarillion which talks about the cursed necklace of the dwarves. Finally if you like dwarves as characters try reading the children of Hurin. It features a dwarf character.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Mar 23 2014, 11:39pm

Post #3 of 5 (95 views)
Shortcut
LotR Appendix A [In reply to] Can't Post

As DaughterofLaketown says, that is the place to get an extensive history of the Dwarves. People tend to ignore the Appendices, probably assuming that they are dry and tedious, but Appendices A and B shed a lot of light on the backstories of all the major cultures of Middle Earth.

Bracegirdle
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2014, 4:50am

Post #4 of 5 (69 views)
Shortcut
Yes read the appendices (again?) [In reply to] Can't Post

Therein lies much gold!

Then I would recommend The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and Letters of JJRT, then HoMe (just my sequence)

Piece of trivia: I read somewhere in Letters that Tolkien accidentally used the plural Dwarves instead of Dwarfs or the more historical Dwarrows. But he was happy with it as it went with Elves.....

Good Luck Smile

From World's End then he turned away,
and yearned again to find afar .
his home through shadows journeying,
and burning as an island star . . .

-Bilbo Baggins

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2014, 1:25pm

Post #5 of 5 (44 views)
Shortcut
Well, there are a few scattered mentions of them... [In reply to] Can't Post

Less so than any other race, I'm afraid.

The Sil does give mention of their creation, and also they figure into the latter story of Beren and Luthien and are casually referenced in the Narn (c)hin Hurin (later compiled into the COH). A small mention at the Nirnaeth Arnoediad is also made.

I also remember a mention of them in UT in the Galadriel and Celeborn chapter.

Of course, HoME has a lot of text, and there are mentions of them throughout, but I cannot recall exactly where. There isn't one great compendium on Dwarves in the published works (as there is for Elves in Volume X), unfortunately. Besides the Woses, Orcs, and other minor peoples, I think the Dwarves are the least developed.

Is there any specific questions you had? Don't hesitate to ask!!!

There is a great dwarf-fan following both on and of ToRN, so you could check them out too, Heirs of Durin is the first that comes to mind. Hope that helps!!!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.