Other
View Results (65 votes)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 23 2014, 4:19pm

Post #1 of 26 (433 views)
Shortcut
What are you in your family? Can't Post

Which of these stereotypes best fits you? Which role in your family do you play?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 23 2014, 4:29pm

Post #2 of 26 (309 views)
Shortcut
All of the above. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mostly the weird geek.

malickfan
Gondor

Mar 23 2014, 4:31pm

Post #3 of 26 (305 views)
Shortcut
All of the above [In reply to] Can't Post

But mostly weird geek with a bit of 'joker' thrown in.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 23 2014, 4:56pm

Post #4 of 26 (307 views)
Shortcut
Weird geek here too! [In reply to] Can't Post

With a dash of rebel. Wink. I think geeks have to harbor a little rebelliousness because they like so many things against the norm.

malickfan
Gondor

Mar 23 2014, 5:00pm

Post #5 of 26 (298 views)
Shortcut
Well, some might say being a member of TORn is weird geekery in itself [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that I consider that a bad thing!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23 2014, 5:37pm

Post #6 of 26 (320 views)
Shortcut
One thing: [In reply to] Can't Post

DaughterofLaketown, we allow a board member to have up to five active posts on a discussion board so that one person doesn't dominate discussions. This poll makes five started by you on the first page, so you'll need to wait until your oldest poll has dropped to page two before posting a new poll.

Cheers.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 23 2014, 6:09pm

Post #7 of 26 (312 views)
Shortcut
So sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't know. Won't happen again. Unsure

Patty
Immortal

Mar 23 2014, 6:23pm

Post #8 of 26 (307 views)
Shortcut
You know, DaughterofLakeTown... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been here many a year and I'm still finding out things I didn't know too. We can find them out together.

And in addition to having been here for many a year I see that you have already started two discussions of things that I don't believe we have mulled over yet. It's so good to get new folks like yourself who are constantly breathing new life and viewpoints into our fandom and our community-off topic.

I'm the middle-child, so I think that makes me the peacemaker. Ans, you didn't have this as a choice per se, but I'm the family historian .
Cheers.

(This post was edited by Patty on Mar 23 2014, 6:25pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 23 2014, 6:24pm

Post #9 of 26 (288 views)
Shortcut
Another weird geek here! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23 2014, 7:09pm

Post #10 of 26 (281 views)
Shortcut
What Patty said. [In reply to] Can't Post

Except for the last bit - I'm the youngest and the family geek.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2014, 7:42pm

Post #11 of 26 (266 views)
Shortcut
More like loner/general factotum [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm what I need to be. I love helping people so I try to be what they need. Sometimes it's a hugSmile and sometimes it's a good kick in the pantsPirateSly!!

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 23 2014, 7:56pm

Post #12 of 26 (264 views)
Shortcut
I'll take a hat trick: [In reply to] Can't Post

geek, joker, and weird one.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 23 2014, 10:02pm

Post #13 of 26 (259 views)
Shortcut
Patty [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've been here many a year and I'm still finding out things I didn't know too. We can find them out together.

And in addition to having been here for many a year I see that you have already started two discussions of things that I don't believe we have mulled over yet. It's so good to get new folks like yourself who are constantly breathing new life and viewpoints into our fandom and our community-off topic.

I'm the middle-child, so I think that makes me the peacemaker. Ans, you didn't have this as a choice per se, but I'm the family historian .
Cheers.

Thank you for these kind words.

Escapist
Gondor

Mar 23 2014, 10:19pm

Post #14 of 26 (248 views)
Shortcut
Really, I'm more like a surrogate mom [In reply to] Can't Post

but sometimes I display the listed tendencies:

geek: I move between hobbies so I may get known as this or that kind of geek for a period of time but it doesn't tend to stick the same way that "mom number 2" does. However, I have fixed many technology issues - but I am still not considered the "techno expert". I am not as communicative about my fandoms in mixed company as some others so I think this nerfs the geek-factor as well.

nerd: Among those who pride themselves on their social graces, I have no doubt that I am taken as a nerd - but the longer they have known me, in general, the less I am known for this (it mostly applies to in-laws' opinions of me)

weird one: No - many are strange in my family and display much more strangeness than I do - I am not "the weird one", but I am weirder than anyone thinks Angelic Maybe if I were in a different family I would get noted for this - but not in my family!

joker: similar to weird one, I am known for making people crack up outside my family and often do make my family members crack up, but there are funnier people in my family who play more jokes so the ID doesn't stick. We are all quite silly, to be honest.

rebel: In fact, I am actually one of the most cooperative and flexible people in my family - I get ordered around and stretched quite a bit without complaining - and am known as such - but there is a line and a small category of issues that I won't budge on and for the most part, my family respects this since I keep these things few and far between (and I feel they are reasonable and within my rights without infringing on anyone else unfairly).

"Mom number 2" applies as follows: worrying about others, babysitting, helping with many chores when visiting, being the oldest amongst all siblings and cousins, taking a leadership role in taking care of things when my dad was dying and mom was having trouble handling it, driving lessons, tutoring ... you name it ...

(This post was edited by Escapist on Mar 23 2014, 10:24pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 23 2014, 10:50pm

Post #15 of 26 (250 views)
Shortcut
I've always been the geek [In reply to] Can't Post

And my entire family has always been great at enabling me ;)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Mar 23 2014, 10:57pm

Post #16 of 26 (267 views)
Shortcut
All 4 describe practically [In reply to] Can't Post

my entire family. And we enjoy every minute of it. Smile

Annael
Immortal

Mar 23 2014, 11:31pm

Post #17 of 26 (243 views)
Shortcut
I said other [In reply to] Can't Post

I am in recovery from being the super-responsible perfect over-achieving oldest daughter. Except I just got a PhD & have a book being published so maybe I'm not . . .

My younger sister got to be the rebel, my older brother is the joker, and I can't claim the title of geek as the youngest brother has me way, way beat on that regard.

(This post was edited by Annael on Mar 23 2014, 11:34pm)

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 23 2014, 11:44pm

Post #18 of 26 (245 views)
Shortcut
One more, and it's off [In reply to] Can't Post

to the Boo box*WinkLaugh

* From the movie 'Hook'

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 24 2014, 3:51am

Post #19 of 26 (227 views)
Shortcut
We're all geeks in my family. [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of us are math teachers, scientists or engineers, and the rest are historians, some of whom are fluent in Turkish and can read Ottoman Turkish in Arabic script. My sister got a PhD in history with a thesis titled "Witches, Whores and Scolds", and then became a dream-reader.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 24 2014, 9:23am

Post #20 of 26 (224 views)
Shortcut
Hear! Hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know about the 5 either! So Hang In There, Daughter! *high five*

Patty
Immortal

Mar 24 2014, 1:32pm

Post #21 of 26 (217 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I know you must have broken that 5 rule before [In reply to] Can't Post

You reached I M M O R T A L I T Y !!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Mar 24 2014, 8:48pm

Post #22 of 26 (199 views)
Shortcut
That's why I wish [In reply to] Can't Post

I could've met your kids at our Mini-moot. My brother is the only person I know who can count (not sure how far--at least to 20, I'm guessing) in Sumerian. They could compare notes in ancient scripts while the rest of us take notes in Angerthas and Tengwar.Cool

RangerLady23
Lorien

Mar 25 2014, 6:16pm

Post #23 of 26 (168 views)
Shortcut
Geek for sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Majorly. Hugely. Most certainly the geek!

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Mar 26 2014, 8:14pm

Post #24 of 26 (160 views)
Shortcut
I'm the Thranduil.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, that about sums it up.

imin
Valinor

Apr 5 2014, 5:07pm

Post #25 of 26 (137 views)
Shortcut
Geek and because i am a geek - the weird one [In reply to] Can't Post

This is for my mothers side who i grew up with. Not a great deal of interest in education etc, where as from as far back as i can remember i have loved learning.

My dads side are much more enthusiastic about learning and education in general and so i am considered average on that side.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.