Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Thoughts on Galadriel

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 22, 4:28pm

Views: 302
Shortcut
Thoughts on Galadriel Can't Post

I have been doing some thinking lately about Galadriel and her husband Celeborn. The relationship is interesting becuase it is a relatively rare one in literature of this type. In many ways both Galadriel, and to use another example, Melian, are almost more of the rulers than there husbands. It is very clear in FoTR in particular that it is Galadriel who rules the realm and her husband serves little other purpose but to act as a consort, and perhaps prove a point widely held during Tolkien's time that all women should be married. Yet for the time in which the book was written it seems really revolutionary if you look at it. It is often the woman in all these stories who is of higher birth than the man, Melian was a Maiar, Galadriel was a Noldor, and Luthien was the daughter of a Maiar. In most of these stories the theme seems to be a woman marrying below her status. (I think I remember reading a thread remarking on this somewhere but I don't remember where.) But roles of women in the position of leadership in these stories are actually not such a modern idea. Celtic myths in particular are full of strong female heroines. Aoife, the warrior lover of Cuchulain, her sister Skatha, and most importantly queen Maeve. Queen Maeve's relationship with her husband Ailill is very similar to the relationship of Galadriel and Celeborn where the male plays a very secondary role to the more powerful woman.
Just some thoughts I've been having.

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Mar 22, 4:31pm)

Subject User Time
Thoughts on Galadriel DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 22, 4:28pm
    Ah yes, the ever enigmatic Galadriel demnation Send a private message to demnation Mar 22, 4:42pm
    Welcome to the Reading Room DaughterofLaketown! noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 22, 5:17pm
        I'll check it out! DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 22, 10:29pm
            btw... noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 23, 9:04am
                No offense taken. DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 23, 1:50pm
                    We ride to Cooley! noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 23, 2:46pm
                        I would love to. DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 23, 5:16pm
                            Rosemary Sutcliff is a fine author noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 23, 5:28pm
        Celtic mythology DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 22, 10:42pm
    In the Council of Elrond Hamfast Gamgee Send a private message to Hamfast Gamgee Mar 23, 11:44pm
        You know DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 24, 2:03am
        Because the Council of Elrond was not planned in advance. Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Mar 24, 1:05pm
            The Council Bracegirdle Send a private message to Bracegirdle Mar 24, 8:10pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.