The Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part II
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Nesse
Lorien

Mar 11 2014, 11:32am

Post #151 of 215 (18590 views)
Shortcut
     and no wonder.... [In reply to]  

Its going to be a long long wait to see Thranduil again.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Mar 13 2014, 4:51am

Post #152 of 215 (18536 views)
Shortcut
     LOL! Thanks for that, RG [In reply to]  

Good to see you again.

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

Nimloth
Lorien

Mar 14 2014, 3:04am

Post #153 of 215 (18514 views)
Shortcut
     Absolutely! [In reply to]  

And with that in mind, I'm hoping PJ edits more Elven King into BoFA to appease his growing fan base. Cool

Please let it happen!

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Mar 16 2014, 2:09am

Post #154 of 215 (18492 views)
Shortcut
     Keep Calm...... [In reply to]  

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Mar 16 2014, 2:14am

Post #155 of 215 (18504 views)
Shortcut
     :-) [In reply to]  

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Mar 16 2014, 3:30pm

Post #156 of 215 (18502 views)
Shortcut
     a new perspective behind the scenes [In reply to]  

this is quite new, no film footage, just behind the scenes, with different angles, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjA7AD3Zu_k

Sorry for the subtitles in Polish, I have no clue about their meaningCrazy.

I especially love the part at the beginning with Thorin and Thranduil (RA's soulful expression is very "method", especially when LP is ascending the throne).
I wonder what Christian Rivers and Andrew Lesnie (the one with the piece of paper) are saying, we'll probably find it out on the DVDs.

So... keep calm and keep watching ThranduilWink

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Mar 16 2014, 9:30pm

Post #157 of 215 (18487 views)
Shortcut
     Excellent... [In reply to]  

They chose great music to accompany our glorious king--Ivan Torrent. Heart

Kerewyn
Rohan

Mar 17 2014, 6:39am

Post #158 of 215 (18495 views)
Shortcut
     I particularly love... [In reply to]  

... the look he exchanges with Legolas right at the beginning.
Yes some great angle and shots there that I hadn't seen before. And the green-screen stair railing! Heard about it but hadn't spotted it.
I must check what final film movement Thranduil makes with his left hand (to disguise that he is touching the railing)

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

elf-lady
Rivendell

Mar 19 2014, 12:44pm

Post #159 of 215 (18439 views)
Shortcut
     Very nice indeed! [In reply to]  

Love the new images. I still can't get over how he looms over everyone! Blush Magnificent!

Nesse
Lorien

Mar 20 2014, 10:55am

Post #160 of 215 (18419 views)
Shortcut
     New pic from page one [In reply to]  

Not sure how to make this a clickable link.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/q71/s720x720/988825_478270032277042_1717797327_n.jpg

Thrandruil in his armour :)

Nesse
Lorien

Mar 20 2014, 10:57am

Post #161 of 215 (18429 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks to Papagianni btw for posting :) [In reply to]  

elf-lady
Rivendell

Mar 20 2014, 2:12pm

Post #162 of 215 (18406 views)
Shortcut
     I've never seen that one before! [In reply to]  

Thanks so much for this Nesse. It looks like it came from a Korean magazine. I'm also seeing all sorts of behind the scenes stuff from the DVD on Tumblr! *flails*

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Mar 21 2014, 11:47pm

Post #163 of 215 (18434 views)
Shortcut
     Here you go! [In reply to]  

He appears to be on horseback...

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Mar 21 2014, 11:48pm)

Nesse
Lorien

Mar 22 2014, 11:25am

Post #164 of 215 (18365 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks Rowan... [In reply to]  

Or deer back as the case may be Smile
Stunning!

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Mar 31 2014, 3:55am

Post #165 of 215 (18315 views)
Shortcut
     Delurking - only for the express purpose of hailing the Elvenking and fellow-thralls [In reply to]  

Mae Govannen, fellow-thralls!

I have been sorely remiss in my enthrallment duty, but I have caught up now, all the way from the first post in this forum.

So is anyone home?

a lurker in the mirk
(chronically and acutely lapsed Tolkien fan, lapsed Elf fancier - can't even remember my original TORn username)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Mar 31 2014, 8:02am

Post #166 of 215 (18321 views)
Shortcut
     There are drums in the bucket that I too desire... [In reply to]  

... fried drums of pure carbo.

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Mar 31 2014, 8:12am)

elf-lady
Rivendell

Mar 31 2014, 1:32pm

Post #167 of 215 (18326 views)
Shortcut
     LMAO! [In reply to]  

Thranduil loves him some fried chicken! LOL!!!

Here's the first promo of Lee in AMC's "Halt and Catch Fire", premiering on June 1st!

http://youtu.be/2rpjfl_DeyQ

(This post was edited by elf-lady on Mar 31 2014, 1:37pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 1 2014, 1:04am

Post #168 of 215 (18296 views)
Shortcut
     Hehe... A mere mark of the slightest inconsequence in the perfect mien [In reply to]  

Don't you think? We all need a vice, or two. Or in the Elvish one's case... three? (Great wine, POW decapatitation-happy aaaaaaaaand fried chicken buckets)

Thanks for the headsup. Unfortunately, I'm not located where that vid will play. But I found one that will, if anyone else's got the same issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYGwIsiyi3Q

I think it's the same one.

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Apr 2 2014, 12:41am

Post #169 of 215 (18264 views)
Shortcut
     :D That looks interesting... [In reply to]  

And so very 80s. I'll feel like a kid again, watching it.

Of course, I'm really dying to see that teaser that came out of CinemaCon (elsewhere on this site: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/04/01/88192-spoiler-analysis-examining-a-few-more-teasers-for-the-hobbit-there-and-back-again-out-of-cinemacon/ ). Sorry, I haven't a clue how to embed links here yet, either.

And I'm still disappointed with the GotG bits we were given in the "Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe special." (I had to torrent it to watch it at all. I'm afraid I don't have a youtube link.) They show Lee momentarily, but his make-up and costume is fairly all-encompassing. We need more of a close-up to tell if he'll be recognizable at all. :(

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Apr 2 2014, 1:04am

Post #170 of 215 (18280 views)
Shortcut
     I found a GotG focused youtube link.. [In reply to]  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnGmgYdC1cE

The Lee Pace bit is at about 0:20 - yeah, it's quick. He's the guy moving towards the camera. :/

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 2 2014, 10:17am

Post #171 of 215 (18294 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil has no paint, Thranduil needs no paint! [In reply to]  

I came across this pic (not gonna paste it directly here as it's big), which is prolly the bestest shot of LP's GotG character we've got for now. Gawds, he truly is well-endowed with blue paint and prosthetics. Can't "see" him at all.

Am looking forward to Halt & Catch Fire though. It looks like an interesting story, and at least LP's not in paint and prosthetics. They did do something to his brows though, didn't they, or is that the lighting?

And for counter-balance, gifs of the BTS of my favourite Thrandy scene. IMO, it's cool they left the brows in - gives Thrandy an unconventional beauty and lends weight to his masculinity. If they had shaped them ala Leggy, it would have diminished our impression it is the Elvenking come-to-live, and made him too pretty - Sparklewood jokes have a fine time of their own as things are already. (OT: on elven brows, I cannot forgive that brow shot of Legolas when he said "Goblin mutant" - he's an Elf, not a bitchy model. That talking eyebrow shot is so wrong with its cross-dressing wannabe vibes. Reduced him to just an actor in Elf-gear to me.)

source... yeah, I have ventured further into the Wild than I ever thought I would on the trail of Thrandy. But this post about Make-A-Wish foundation beneficiary Samm's onset visit was a really pleasant surprise. Warms the cockles just as is, and for thralls, it's full of the power to keep us as happy melted puddles. Angelic

Elvenking enthrallment
--------------------------
Thranduil Appreciation thread II
Thranduil Appreciation thread

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Apr 3 2014, 12:28am

Post #172 of 215 (18254 views)
Shortcut
     Well... [In reply to]  

The Accuser is a good name for all that? I hope they don't modulate his voice, besides. D:

And, it probably only looks like they did something to his brows for the new series. I'd say we've all gotten used to his Thranduil Brows, but I'm pretty sure the makeup team for The Hobbit "fluffed' Lee's already generous brows noticeably for the role. They mention it in the middle of this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgIuLWXj6AQ (And the contrast with the blond wig would add to the effect.) :D

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 3 2014, 2:11am

Post #173 of 215 (18258 views)
Shortcut
     I guess... [In reply to]  

it has its value? Or perhaps LP just wanted to have some fun? Or maybe he wanted to experience for himself what the Dwarves lived through daily in hair and makeup? Or he was considerate and want the audience to be able to enjoy his acting without having his mug be a distraction onscreen? Tongue We won't ever know, unless we hear from the horse's mouth. It does seem like a fun movie in itself. But man the distraction that's gonna cause for me regardless. I mean, it does seem like there's an interesting backstory to Ronan, Bringing villiany I can understand, but how does one emote the finer nuances of psychosis under all that?

There's no mention of the aural characteristics of Ronan's voice. But he's a Kree, and from the Kree who got whopped by Thor in The Dark World, it does seem like some modulation might be necessary? I don't know, this is a comicverse I'm not too familiar with so out of my depth here, but I sure hope not.

The Accuser is a good name for all that? I hope they don't modulate his voice, besides. D:

Oh, yeah, that vid. You're right. The Thrandy brows are quite something and probably needed some attention. I wager it would make for a fascinating study of just how exactly the eyebrow contouring was done, eh? Smile

And, it probably only looks like they did something to his brows for the new series. I'd say we've all gotten used to his Thranduil Brows, but I'm pretty sure the makeup team for The Hobbit "fluffed' Lee's already generous brows noticeably for the role. They mention it in the middle of this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgIuLWXj6AQ (And the contrast with the blond wig would add to the effect.) :D

Re the GIFs above, I liked how Legolas is so direct with Thrandy though it was just 4 short lines, and not even in Elvish Mad (How can Tauriel have more lines and time with both separately then the father/son pair have together??) It showed the difference of the relationship between them then with the other elves. But there should be MWOAR! TABA better not disappoint!

And before I return into the lurkmirk, one for the road:

(source)

Thranduil to himself: "It must be cast into the fiery chasm from whence it came. No one else can ever know!"

Elvenking enthrallment

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Apr 4 2014, 1:44am

Post #174 of 215 (18225 views)
Shortcut
     I hope we hear more about all of that... [In reply to]  

Re: GotG and Lee Pace
I was excited by the idea of GotG long before I knew Lee Pace was involved. So I know I'll likely enjoy it even if no hint of the actor seems present in it. (I'll just expect 'extras' that show the real him off a little.)

Re: Thor the Dark World
Thor whooped Dark Elves in his latest flick. :D I don't know much more than that about them - without some research - but their boss, Malekith, did have a heavily modulated voice (that was still recognizable as Christopher Eccleston, to my ear, so there's the hope that Lee would fare as well).

Re: Thranduil Brows, Underlings, and Son
I want lots of extras relating to Thranduil. Anything that was cut for time or to make room for the late "romantic twist" subplot I expect to see included in the EE. (I think It's agreed that at least one Father-Son talk was cut, while others were curtailed. I want it all back.)

I'm suspending judgement of Tauriel depending on what, if anything, is lost due to her (and/or Legolas) in the last chapter. There are certain things I'd really like to see from the book, but, depending on how I think it all hangs together, I might be willing to forgive a lot. We'll just have to wait and see. :)

Re: Rankin/Bass picture
Poor Thranduil. :p He does seem the type to be insecure about his looks. (I was sure his "crazy face" scene was him flashing a horrible scar he habitually kept covered up.) But seriously, did they miss or just ignore the book descriptions of Elves as beautiful (but never as literally green)?

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 4 2014, 8:23am

Post #175 of 215 (18211 views)
Shortcut
     Me too, and sooner than later please [In reply to]  

Re: GotG and Lee Pace
Me too. Extras are great. I'm really curious for a good look at the character though. Seem like they're building the hype and playing the Ronan card close to the chest just cos they're aware of the reception to the beauty of Thranduil?

Oh, I'm just a dork that way. It's like I have a parallel visual track if a heavily made-up/prostheticised character is an actor I know. I can't help but imagine what the actor looks like sans makeup as the scene runs.

I was excited by the idea of GotG long before I knew Lee Pace was involved. So I know I'll likely enjoy it even if no hint of the actor seems present in it. (I'll just expect 'extras' that show the real him off a little.)

But that shirtless shot of Star Lord in the trailer though. My oh my... Imagine if LP snagged that role. Cool

Re: Thor the Dark World
The Kree
whooping was the appetiser while Thor was traversing the nine worlds on his cleanup tour. Just a small taste of what the Dark Elves were gonna get.

Thor whooped Dark Elves in his latest flick. :D I don't know much more than that about them - without some research - but their boss, Malekith, did have a heavily modulated voice (that was still recognizable as Christopher Eccleston, to my ear, so there's the hope that Lee would fare as well).

Re: Thranduil Brows, Underlings, and Son
I'm with you! I want whatever's been cut restored too. And whatever behind the scenes about Thranduil there is. This all Thranduil behind the scenes vid (on a China site) gives us a fair indication of we're missing. You can see the first part of the Dwarves' arrival before his throne (I personally thought it should have been left in for better context), and hear him speak to Legolas (in Elvish no less!) for that greenscreen scene where he is in his crown of thorns, that fab cape/robe and his staff, with the line of (sentry?) Elves on his left. I want all those in.

I am fascinated with his weaponry too, especially that sword-sheath he wears in the orc interrogation scene. There's so little I found that I asked a question in this forum about it. Still not much info so far. Hopefully we get more details with the EE.

Can't say it enough: Father-Son tête-à-têtes dammit!

I want lots of extras relating to Thranduil. Anything that was cut for time or to make room for the late "romantic twist" subplot I expect to see included in the EE. (I think It's agreed that at least one Father-Son talk was cut, while others were curtailed. I want it all back.)

As for Underlings, I commend your generosity. Me, I am trying very hard not to poo-poo Tauriel. But I can't help it, with the awareness of what an amazing blank canvas this was. I'm not against the Captain of the Guard. He's canon after all. What I don't like is making him a female warrior, when all evidence suggest elven warriors are mostly if not all male, and making her essentially an upstart officer (600 years young) on the fast track, favoured by Thranduil no less, and then giving her healing powers ala Arwen when it was said that warring and healing are not good mixes, and it's females who do the bulk of doctoring. And then on top of all that, plonking her into a role larger than Thranduil. Even Galion's moment was usurped Tongue Hell, Legolas too seemed to have been shunted a little to the side with the interesting layering of her character in her decidedly more cosmopolitan outlook then the son of the king. Um... in case all that sounded like a pretentious purist sniffneck casting stones in a glasshouse, I am all for interpretations and renditions. Afterall, I came into ME by way of PJ's LotR, despite being a lifelong sci-fi fantasy nerd (my eternal shame, and a boring story no one needs to hear) and got so inspired I started my own fanfic covering the hunt for Gollum in the intervening years between the Hobbit and LotR (and yeah, I did a lot of homework which not surprisingly included Thranduil, his people and his halls... but I will need to rethink a large chunk of it now, just cos of the impact the Lee Pace Thranduil is making on the landscape). To be fair, i
n another plane of existence, I wager Tauriel would be a welcome addition to someone's story - she's not a bad character, just the wrong insert here. But, yeah, I feel creative licence was taken too liberally with this one: she's almost the quintessential Mary Sue.

I'm suspending judgement of Tauriel depending on what, if anything, is lost due to her (and/or Legolas) in the last chapter. There are certain things I'd really like to see from the book, but, depending on how I think it all hangs together, I might be willing to forgive a lot. We'll just have to wait and see. :)

Re: Rankin/Bass picture
But he lays it down with SASS. No sparkles needed.

I'm in the camp of Elvish glamour when it comes to that skinmelt of his. Just because Elves don't scar. Smile

Poor Thranduil. :p He does seem the type to be insecure about his looks. (I was sure his "crazy face" scene was him flashing a horrible scar he habitually kept covered up.)

Well, they did get the blond memo right, and there is green... Wonder what edition they read, eh?

But seriously, did they miss or just ignore the book descriptions of Elves as beautiful (but never as literally green)?

Vanima,
It's really cool to have coherence and intelligence in a fangirl conversation like this. Being late to the appreciation isn't so bad when there's such good company. Thank you very much.

Elvenking enthrallment

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Apr 4 2014, 8:34am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.