Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What is in a name? (Your screen name, that is.)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2008, 12:06am

Post #126 of 236 (391 views)
Shortcut
Not Buffy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Now maybe if your choice had been for a television character, eh? But Scout really fits. I know you were a trail-blazer and guide for me many times :)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2008, 12:09am

Post #127 of 236 (403 views)
Shortcut
You belong with the stars [In reply to] Can't Post

just like Elendil. That's awesome! Just like Arwen's Daughter, you've become the steward of a rare Tolkien reference. Very Very Cool!

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2008, 12:12am

Post #128 of 236 (384 views)
Shortcut
No S-B is me? My spoons are safe :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2008, 12:14am

Post #129 of 236 (408 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that is lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

Your name is very unique and also lovely... but it sounds like Nimthiriel speaks to you more. What a dilemma!!

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2008, 12:16am

Post #130 of 236 (395 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh... now I understand [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to admit I stumbled a bit with yours, but was having great fun trying to piece it together. That's very cool :) Love you avatar, too!

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2008, 12:18am

Post #131 of 236 (380 views)
Shortcut
Perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

And it'll always remind you that you can have debates and copious correspondence where it's fine to agree that you disagree :) A win-win situation!

*high five*

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2008, 12:21am

Post #132 of 236 (390 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* You noticed that, too? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Well, Well... a very deep subject!

Isn't it amazing, or comforting, when a word or phrase speaks to you? Who would have known visiting that site would have an impact on you here :D Way cool!

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2008, 12:22am

Post #133 of 236 (400 views)
Shortcut
Bwhahaha!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You got me with that one! How many of us have started a drink-fest? ;)

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2008, 12:25am

Post #134 of 236 (378 views)
Shortcut
There aren't a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

of female names used by Tolkien, so you were smart to snag this while it was still free :)

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2008, 12:28am

Post #135 of 236 (378 views)
Shortcut
That's so neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

It all comes together, doesn't it? I love that you have a plaque of Bag End over your door. That's very comforting, and I'm still smiling just thinking about it :)

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2008, 12:30am

Post #136 of 236 (406 views)
Shortcut
It's our fault, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

You changed it to deej cuz that's what WE nicknamed you ;)

I remember when you were dj'ing ORC that first time I went. We all sent you ideas of music we wanted to hear, and you pulled them all together in hopes to use them that night of music. I was SO impressed!

sample sample

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2008, 2:24am

Post #137 of 236 (417 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I blame you all from the ORC Moot! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think 'deej' just rolls off the tongue easier that 'djdeathskiss'. Wink

Dragoncon 2008: August 29th - September 1st in Atlanta, Georgia

http://www.dragoncon.org

SandWitch King
Rohan

Feb 3 2008, 2:30am

Post #138 of 236 (384 views)
Shortcut
Now that is some fine humor {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish my name was "Barrow Wong". Maybe I should change it. And now for my quote:

"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 3 2008, 2:37am

Post #139 of 236 (385 views)
Shortcut
Heh! [In reply to] Can't Post

As Gandalf might say, there's more to names than meets the eye! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 3 2008, 3:03am

Post #140 of 236 (388 views)
Shortcut
Hind sight is 20/20 and all that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Losse and I don't want to have to "recreate" myself. That's the way I met my TORnsibs and that's the way it will stay. Btw, what could be better than grammaboodawg? I couldn't believe that it was already taken!!! Tongue

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 3 2008, 4:04am

Post #141 of 236 (389 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I know what you mean about instructions. :-)

They drive me absolutely insane.

I don't know exactly what you see, I have a Macintosh, use Safari, so I have limitations on what I can do here. The boards are not very Mac-friendly. But I have adjusted nicely enough.

What I see - Top:

1. "Post style:" (pull-down menu) ----- 'Get Markup Help' (link)

2. "Icon:" (row of icons buttons)

3. "Subject:" (subject field window)

4. "Post:" (posting field window) . . .

5. To the left are 3 columns of happy-face icons

What I see - Bottom under post window:

1. Row of icon buttons:
"code" — "reply" — "quote" — "b" — "u" — "i" — "email" — "url"

2. Two boxes to check: Signature and email notification.

3. The two on the bottom I can not use: "Attachment" and "Inline Attachment".

4. 3 posting buttons: Preview, Spell-checker, Post/Reply.

Key:
"code" — (I never used this one, I have no idea what it does.)

"reply" —  use when you want to reply to a certain part of a post, Copy the portion of the text you want to reply to click "reply" button, paste, click "/reply" button (which appears after you have first clidked on it).

"quote" — Use exactly the same way as the "reply" button, purpose is, or reason may be slightly different. I just feel that one out per circumstances.

"b" —  Bolds text. click - type - click

"u" —  Underlines text. click - type - click

"i" — Italicizes text. click - type - click

"email" —  (I never used this one, but I think it is just like the "url" button.)

"url" — copy - click - paste - click

Tip: If you want to use any of these after you have alrady typed, then you will find that if you click the button, the code will show up at the bottom of the page. Code always show up at the lowest point where you have typed or used return. What you do is select the code and drag it to where you want it to go.

Tip: anytime you want help, click the 'Get Markup Help' link on the top. I keep a copy of these in a Word file on my computer and use it like a pallette. I type my longer posts in a word file and drag or copy the code I need and just fill in the information. This trick is very handy for making hyperlinked urls — that is text that has been turned into a link that a reader can just click on.

[url " "] [/url]

would be used like this after you typed it and will function as a link

[url "http://www.theonering.net/"]One Ring ,Net[/url]

Within your text it will look like this:
I am a frequent poster on the [url "http://www.theonering.net/"]One Ring .Net[/url] discussion boards, which I find to be an awesome community of friendly and supportive people. The code will not show once you post it. "One Ring .Net" will appear as a link to click on.
Tip: watch out for spaces, they make a link not work.

(I selected Plain Text in the top pull-down menu so that the above sample will show up for you.)

This might be too much information (I tend to go over-board), so I will end there. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

DoN

**Tribute: Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling, WWII Pilot MIA, by Gramma & DoN**
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2008, 5:43am

Post #142 of 236 (362 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, good point [In reply to] Can't Post

And I guess that's as close as it's going to get!

Where's Frodo?

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 3 2008, 6:18am

Post #143 of 236 (400 views)
Shortcut
Dear Daughter of Nienna, [In reply to] Can't Post

i must tell you that my life mirrors yours so. I too have come to see Light after much grief. CheersSmile!

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Well! What do you know, it snowed.
Season's greetings with thoughts of Rivendell

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 3 2008, 6:59am

Post #144 of 236 (383 views)
Shortcut
...to light and life! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hugs & Aloha

DoN
Heart

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 3 2008, 7:19am

Post #145 of 236 (415 views)
Shortcut
I love trees very much. [In reply to] Can't Post

One reason being that they join the sky with the earth with such beauty. There is one tree that is exceptionally lovely and that is the American Beech. It is one of Tolkien's favorites too.
Now one of my favorite lines in the LOTR's is:

"When Sam awoke, he found that he was lying on some soft bed, but over him gently swayed wide beechen boughs, and through their young leaves sunlight glimmered, green and gold. All the air was full of a sweet mingled scent".

When i first came here (didn't even understand what a footer was) i did my best looking around (forgot my sources now) to find the root meanings of 'shining' and 'beech'. So i (still do not know if i savvied it correctly enough) put 'sil' along with 'neldor'-shining beech.

I think one day i will find my own Neldoreth with a grand host of beeches along with hemlocks. The hemlock happens to be my favorite evergreen too. In a forest these 2 magnificent trees compliment each other so well in form and color. Along with niphredil to adorn the valleys it would be the perfect place to dwell the rest of my days.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Well! What do you know, it snowed.
Season's greetings with thoughts of Rivendell

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 3 2008, 7:22am

Post #146 of 236 (384 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's another MacBook/Safari user *waves*

Once I tried to upload a photo, but couldn't find some of the buttons that are described in the FAQ and wondered if it's a Mac problem or if I'm simply too stupid to follow the instructions. You give me hope Wink

Btw, "Attachment" worked for me, and I finally got my photo to upload as an attachment. Not as good as in the post itself, but better than no photo at all.

Anyway, I have copied your explanations into a word document - thank you so much! And no, it's not too much information, at least not for me!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 3 2008, 7:58am

Post #147 of 236 (377 views)
Shortcut
Grins! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had the most stressed-out time when we first switched over to the boards. I never got the attchments ot work. I was screaming for help those first few days, as was everyone else. Smile All the Admins are PC users and they were just as frustrated with me as I was with my seeming ineptitude.

Then... another Mac user came to my rescue and explained the situation and I sighed relief that it wasn't me.

... I just use PhotoBucket to upload and them post the urls. I have the same trouble with Yahoo so I don't email photos to my friends anymore. I think It's teh snobbery of the PC world for one. And the fact that MicroSoft IE doesnt' make web browzers for Macs anymore and the things that the boards do, you need IE for. That is how it was explained to me. The Admins all said, "why don't you just download IE... wel, that's just a no-go, Alas!

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 3 2008, 8:37am

Post #148 of 236 (376 views)
Shortcut
No way [In reply to] Can't Post

No, I'll not use IE either! It's bad enough to have to use it at work. Had it on my old Mac as sort of an emergency browser and it left me fuming every time I tried it Wink

I'm *so* glad to know it's not my own stupidity! And I can imagine very well how it felt for you back then. I know the feeling, after all!

My brother (the one who refuses to use a PC at all, even if there's no Mac available ;-)) did download Mozilla Firefox on my MacBook and tried to convince me to use it, but it proved a problem for copy & paste texts to Word (it loses all formatting), something I do rather often, so I did never switch from my trusted Safari to this other browser. But now I started it and hit the "reply" button to a post here at TORn - it looks different than with Safari. Maybe I'd have to test if it works and to use it for the few times I want to upload a picture ... hm ... don't like that.

Thanks again for reassuring me! Smile

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Sunflower
Valinor

Feb 3 2008, 8:41am

Post #149 of 236 (389 views)
Shortcut
Fireweed [In reply to] Can't Post

Google Mount St. Helens and you will find some great pics of fireweed. In the months after the 1980 volcanic eruption there was an explosion of fireweed in the devestated area.

The U.S. Geological Survey had some lovely pics.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2008, 11:05am

Post #150 of 236 (371 views)
Shortcut
Well, thank you again. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will have to study this post in detail at my leisure. I am using a pc with Internet Explorer v.7. For some reason if I try to use Advanced Editor, I get kicked out of IE completely. There seems to be some incompatibility between my Windows XP (Dell version), IE, and Advanced Editor. When OhioHobbit and I post his Movie Technical Discussion, we have to use his computer. He still has v6 of Internet Explorer and he doesn't want to upgrade until his series of discussions is done in case he can't use Advanced Editor and he has LOTS of links and pictures to post.

He is much more computer literate than I am. He even understands what the electrons are doing in the bowels of the computer. I don't know and don't care -- I just want it to work! I do okay with things I have done, but new things throw me -- might just be my age. After all, I went from typewriters to computers. Made my living using computers (note using, not programming).

I certainly do appreciate the help you are giving me, but I think I will have to study up a bit and go the test route until I feel comfortable.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.