Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Now that we know del Toro will direct The Hobbit
Poll: Now that we know del Toro will direct The Hobbit
Best choice possible! Can't wait!
I'm okay with it.
I'm still mourning that PJ won't be directing.
I wanted someone else besides PJ or del Toro (who?)
Completely wrong! This will be a disaster!
View Results (58 votes)

Annael
Immortal

Feb 2 2008, 8:12pm

Post #1 of 17 (843 views)
Shortcut
Now that we know del Toro will direct The Hobbit Can't Post

How do you feel about that?

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2008, 8:16pm

Post #2 of 17 (567 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know a lot about Del Toro, so I can't say that I'm jumping to the ceiling, but I know that he has talent. I'm glad that they picked someone with talent. Smile Besides, we still got Pete!

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 2 2008, 9:09pm

Post #3 of 17 (545 views)
Shortcut
I'm more than "okay" with it. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I know next to nothing about del Toro, so I can't exactly say he's the best possible choice.

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Feb 2 2008, 9:09pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2008, 10:32pm

Post #4 of 17 (540 views)
Shortcut
choices [In reply to] Can't Post

Heh heh why isn't there a grade in between Best possible choice and I'm okay with it like Good he was a top pick? Smile I'm more than okay with it, but he's on a list, not a sole choice in my book.

namadriel
Lorien

Feb 2 2008, 10:37pm

Post #5 of 17 (562 views)
Shortcut
I was pretty happy when I saw the announcement. [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked Pan's Labrynth very much. So he can obviously do fairy tales well. And though I had never read any of the comic books, I really enjoyed Hellboy, too.

I think he'll do a fantastic job! It seems to me like he really cares about the projects he takes on. So he'll work very hard to make the movies right.

SandWitch King
Rohan

Feb 3 2008, 2:55am

Post #6 of 17 (536 views)
Shortcut
Hellboy is a pretty good read [In reply to] Can't Post

It certainly isn't literature but it is good occult/heroic/sucks-to-be-a-monster/adventure reading.

The movie maybe tried to be too grand and epic and really was at its best when it explored relationships. The many bit of humor, Hellboy eating cookies on a rooftop, THAT was classic Hellboy.

And really, as CAhobbit has said elsewhere, you NEED to go rent "The Devil's Backbone." It is smart and scary and leaves behind some indelible images. Keyholes have never been the same for me.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 3 2008, 3:27am

Post #7 of 17 (519 views)
Shortcut
I'm OK [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm concerned he couldn't get through LOTR. I don't think he "gets" Tolkien.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2008, 4:00am

Post #8 of 17 (538 views)
Shortcut
Unwilling to say complete disaster [In reply to] Can't Post

But I am not a Hellraiser fan ... Blade II did not impress me ... Mimic was "shrug" and I chose not to see Pan's Labyrith based on the advertisements....not my sort of movie.... but then Jackson did not have many great films when he got the job either so I suppose there's always hope.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2008, 4:31am

Post #9 of 17 (577 views)
Shortcut
I agree!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Nimloth
Lorien

Feb 4 2008, 3:58am

Post #10 of 17 (512 views)
Shortcut
I'm OK [In reply to] Can't Post

at this stage with it, but that is purely based on Pan's Labyrinth which I loved. I haven't seen any of his other work. I guess knowing PJ is part of the production makes me feel more comfortable. Wink

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2008, 2:01pm

Post #11 of 17 (489 views)
Shortcut
I think he's a good choice. [In reply to] Can't Post

He has always been my second choice, after PJ. His other films - 'The Devil's Backbone', 'Pan's Labrynth', and 'Hellboy' are visually beautiful, and he knows how to work with both people and visual elements very well - something that will be crucial for 'The Hobbit'.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2008, 5:44pm

Post #12 of 17 (529 views)
Shortcut
While I'm delighted with Del Toro ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I would have liked to see what Alfonse Cuaron or Agnieszka Holland would have done. And the many fans of Fran Walsh convinced me that she'd be an interesting choice, too.

But overall, I'm pretty excited about Del Toro.

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Feb 6 2008, 5:45pm)

Windfola
The Shire

Feb 10 2008, 1:08pm

Post #13 of 17 (565 views)
Shortcut
Holland [In reply to] Can't Post

the fought of Angieszka Holland directing the Hobbit never even crossed my mind, but I think she would have been a fantastic choice for director! The Secret Garden is one of my all time favourite movies. To be fair she hasn't made anything that good since 1993 but still Smile

About Del Toro, I would have preferred someone different
(Peter Weir Heart or even Cuaron! ) but I'm OK with it.

Tyler
Lorien

Feb 10 2008, 11:41pm

Post #14 of 17 (603 views)
Shortcut
I'm ok with it . [In reply to] Can't Post

nudge
Bree

Feb 19 2008, 9:23pm

Post #15 of 17 (574 views)
Shortcut
Ok [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked Pan's Labrynth, but that was a different sort of fantasy film. Hope he can make the transition.

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Feb 24 2008, 8:18am

Post #16 of 17 (445 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson started all this, I think he should finish it. If he can't or won't, I do not care to see the movie made. I just don't think the list of popular directors being flung around as possible choices can do this story justice.

Patty
Immortal

Mar 20 2008, 1:10am

Post #17 of 17 (566 views)
Shortcut
I've got to admit ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still hoping against hope PJ will decide to take it over.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.