Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 13 2014, 6:54pm

Post #1 of 10 (136 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Harrumph. Last week - oh, bebother and confusticate last week - I hate cookie paperwork! It takes up too much file space in my brain. And makes me late for the Walk. grumph. Which makes me grumpy. But I made it on time this week and the weather is dangerously Spring-like today, so...

Welcome to the Walk, fellow TORnFolk! How go your journeys? On land, by water, however you gather your miles, let us know about them, and the view of Middle Earth from your vantage!

And now I've realized I can't open my word processing program. Oh, goodie. Crazy So we're missing the info on the Walk in this post, but if you follow this link to our last thread, you'll find background info and helpful links on the Walk.

My progress:
Miles covered the past two weeks: 25
Cumulative miles: 1059
Goal: There and Back Again!

I'm building back up on my mileage, need to find a way to help Beamer get more. I keep reminding myself that slow-and-steady is the best way to get more active. Some times it's easier to be patient than others!

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered the past two weeks: 13
Cumulative miles: 974
Goal: Group Challenge

Arandiel

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Delrond
Rohan

Mar 14 2014, 1:30pm

Post #2 of 10 (91 views)
Shortcut
I can see for miles and miles. [In reply to] Can't Post

Minas Tirith and Meduseld are mine to see on clear days.

Greetings to all from flyover country, where the snow has been deep and my beard has grown long. No miles to report since returning to Bag End and that blow-out of a party that gramma and sil pulled together a few months back. If only I had brought my camera. I have been sticking with my weekly circuit training + 3-4 mile runs to prepare for the upcoming 5k season, which for me starts tomorrow. Sil, if you're reading this, I cut back on the carbs, Coke (that was tough) and snacking - which has helped keep the weight down.

A new challenge lies ahead next month - I reluctantly agreed to participate in a Spartan Run, so the training is more frequent and punishing. I just want to finish without getting hurt. Laugh So between that, a never-ending cycle of shoveling snow, sledding with Little D, going to several Pacers games and routinely beating up on AE in Words with Friends, I haven't checked in here for some time. I hope all is well with all the walkers out there! I do miss a bunch of folks here, perhaps I can find more time to catch up.

Thanks for keeping us motivated, Arandiel. Now bring it in, everyone.

Oh yes, Happy Pi Day! A slice of blueberry for me, please.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 14 2014, 2:35pm

Post #3 of 10 (95 views)
Shortcut
Hey now! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, um, er, well, that's a fairly good assessment of our WWF smack downs.
Laugh
Thanks for the reminder about pi day. The Little Goblin has been wanting to celebrate it since his class talked a little about it this month. Mostly I think he just wants me to make a pie. Crazy

The new (ish) Kindle has been ordered so the beatings can resume next week. Shocked

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Delrond
Rohan

Mar 14 2014, 3:07pm

Post #4 of 10 (83 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

you have occasionally put the Texas two-step on me. I think it's pretty even - luck of the draw mostly. Except for some of those arcane "not-sure-it's-a-valid-Scrabble-word" words you pull out of nowhere. Tongue Anyway, I hope the chitlins are doing well and enjoying that humid, balmy pea soup you call weather down there.

Stupid batteries.Unimpressed

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Mar 15 2014, 8:31pm

Post #5 of 10 (68 views)
Shortcut
Update [In reply to] Can't Post

Céad míle fáilte!

I wish the weather would just pick a season and stick with it!

My apologies again for the break in correspondence!

Last week we went from sunny and 79f to 25f and snow in under 12 hours.

It is currently sunny and 69f and we're expecting two inches of snow overnight. But traditionally, St. Patrick's Day is our benchmark for the last snowfall, so I shouldn't gripe yet. I should be thankful for the good days.

My personal and professional life is still rather turbulent. The cat is as well as possible as her age. I have every hope she will enjoy one more Spring and Summer. I am interviewing for any and all job positions available because I need a change. Hopefully I can transition without a significant break.

I am eager for the DoS video release date next week! My heart can tell I will enjoy it much better when I can watch I an II together seamlessly.

Maybe I'll get out again this afternoon.

Miles since last post: 9.85
Challenge Miles: 482.72
Total Miles: 562.12
To Go: 484.28

As an Irish Aragorn would say:
Sláinte chuig na fir, agus go mairfidh na mná go deo!

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

MistyMountain
Lorien

Mar 16 2014, 2:01am

Post #6 of 10 (71 views)
Shortcut
*cough* *cough* [In reply to] Can't Post

Ow! My head! All this infernal coughing has given me a pounding headache. A number of days past (it all is starting to blur together), I felt a bit under the weather but went to the gym anyway thinking exercise might be good for me. Only rowed 7500m (a whopping 4 miles). As spring approaches, I thought I might like to try a bit of downhill skiing before it gets too warm; got my skis and boots all ready. THEN woke up next morning with terrible sore throat and coughing, possibly feverish but couldn't find a thermometer. Ugh!! No schussing down the Misty Mountain slopes for me, alas! Still coughing to this day -- I rarely get sick but, when I do, it sticks around forever. Pirate

Miles rowed
Miles covered past two weeks: 4
Cumulative miles: 26
Goal: 1000 miles

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 16 2014, 2:04pm

Post #7 of 10 (68 views)
Shortcut
It's almost spring! [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG! We've had temps over 35 degrees TWICE in the past week :D This week they're predicting we get into the 40s!!!! I don't mind the slow move, though. It means we won't have as much flooding from the HUGE snowfall we've had since Christmas. But I'll admit that I can't wait to start walking my country roads, picking up pebbles and breathing in warm air :).

Oh, Arandiel... cookies are ALWAYS a very legitimate reason for missing ANYTHING! You know we're busy walking and moving along, so it no problem to skip a check-in time at all... especially when you throw computer problems on top of the pile ;) Thanks so much for keeping us on the Road.

Hang in there everyone! *waves fondly* I'll see you on the Road!

Miles covered: 20 miles 3/6 and 18 miles 3/13
Cumulated miles: 3109
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 20 2014, 9:06am

Post #8 of 10 (50 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo!!! Well Done Delrond! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so great to see you AND to have you pumped up with motivation and seeing great achievements! *high five* It's really hard to adjust your diet and shift gears like you have, so I'm delighted you've had success *high five*

You stop by whenever you can... and keep on truckin'!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 20 2014, 9:11am

Post #9 of 10 (46 views)
Shortcut
Hey Joe... whadd-d'ya know!? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so great to see you! AND making progress... although it's not everything we wish it would be for you at this point. But I'm glad you're still out there fighting :)

I'm scared for you and your cat. My Puddifoot (dog) is nearly 11 years old now, and that means the hardest part of having a pet is fast approaching... so my thoughts go out to you for your cat.

Hang in there!!! And we'll see you on the road :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 20 2014, 9:16am

Post #10 of 10 (72 views)
Shortcut
That's not right! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry you haven't been feeling good. I'm proud of you for attacking the gym even when you weren't feeling well, and it's nasty that you got sicker afterwards. I find that Zicam or Zinc really helps when I'm getting sick like that. If it doesn't fight off the progression of the nasties, it diiminished its longevity. I hope you feel better FAST!

Hang in there!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.