Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
I'm not a teacher yet but...

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Mar 13, 6:01pm

Views: 150
Shortcut
I'm not a teacher yet but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I intend to become a teacher sometime in the not-too-distant future. I didn't even realize I wanted to be a teacher until a little over a year ago (I started volunteering as an assistant Sunday School teacher and fell in love with it) and being in my senior year now this revelation has come too late for me to change my degree program (BS in Interdisciplinary studies: Religion/ Business Marketing) without seriously pushing back my graduation date which I literally cannot afford to do. So I'm just going to focus my last year on taking almost nothing but teaching-related courses. So far I've taken Principles of Education, Learning Theory and Portfolio Development, Early Childhood Education Fundamentals, and I'll be starting a Developmental Psychology course on Monday.

I'm only learning about teaching preschool or elementary school and am therefore only taking courses related to those age groups, so I can't give you much advice specifically on Middle or High School. However, I have learned some helpful things that relate to teaching in general so I'll share what I can. Here are some basic "Teacher survival skills" that I recently learned and have already found useful (This is coming straight from my school notebook):

1. Be sure that you always keep yourself and your desk organized.
Plan ahead and prepare everything you need before you actually need it. It will help both you and your students have a sense of security/stability if you create a regular routine for the classroom so that you and they always know what's coming up next and can be ready for it.

2. Keep your classroom well managed.
At the very beginning of the year establish a few firm rules for your classroom. Just four or five basic standards of behavior is a good way to start. You will have to repeat the rules sometimes and that is perfectly ok. If someone challenges the rules, quickly and fairly correct it and move right along.

3. Be consistent
The students should never have to worry about you treating them differently/being more hard on them than usual because you're in a bad mood or having a bad day. Always make a conscious effort to stay upbeat, positive, and encouraging.

4. Get to know your students
Let your students know that you care about them as people. Learn about their unique likes/dislikes/family and whatever else is important to them. If you connect with them then they will want to learn from you.

5. Stop talking all the time
It is not necessary for you to ruin your voice by talking for every single minute of class time. Silence is ok. Plan quiet times, reading, work sheets and other things that will allow the students to work on their own and rest your voice for a little while.

6. Be self confident AND self critical in a healthy manner.
Be confident in yourself and your abilities as a teacher, but also be willing to analyze yourself and look for opportunities to improve.

7. Keep learning.
Just because you are now a teacher doesn't mean you have an excuse to stop learning things yourself. Keep yourself up-to-date on new studies/theories related to teaching and learning and be involved in the teaching community. Also remember that your fellow teachers (especially the ones that are more experience than you) are excellent resources as well. Learn from them and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Well, that's all I've got for now. I hope it helps.Smile

"So fare thee well, my own true love
I'll think of you night and day
A place in my mind, you will surely find
Although I am so far away
And when I'm alone, far away from home
I'll think of the good times once more
Until I can make it back someday here
To Paddy's green shamrock shore"
--The High Kings

Subject User Time
Any teachers here? Starglass Send a private message to Starglass Mar 13, 3:41pm
    I'm not a teacher but I've been in the school system going on 18 years Dame Ioreth Send a private message to Dame Ioreth Mar 13, 4:18pm
        That was when I became disillusioned about high school. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Mar 13, 5:59pm
        I'm so happy to hear Starglass Send a private message to Starglass Mar 14, 5:58pm
    Special needs teacher here Starling Send a private message to Starling Mar 13, 5:23pm
        I wonder if you've heard this one: Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Mar 13, 5:56pm
            Let's just say Starling Send a private message to Starling Mar 13, 6:10pm
            Don't smile until... CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Mar 13, 7:06pm
                If only our maths teachers had been that honest. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Mar 13, 7:29pm
                I love this advice! Dame Ioreth Send a private message to Dame Ioreth Mar 13, 8:06pm
                Yep, about being honest. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 14, 1:14am
                I'm going to say that it depends a little bit Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Mar 14, 11:27am
        Thanks for sharing! Starglass Send a private message to Starglass Mar 14, 6:02pm
    I'm not a teacher yet but... Eruvandi Send a private message to Eruvandi Mar 13, 6:01pm
        I didn't know that I wanted to be a teacher right away either Starglass Send a private message to Starglass Mar 14, 6:07pm
    I am a teacher of English (foreign language) Elanor of Rohan Send a private message to Elanor of Rohan Mar 13, 6:17pm
        Thanks for sharing! Starglass Send a private message to Starglass Mar 15, 6:00pm
    When you get your first job Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Mar 13, 7:41pm
        Thanks for the advice! Starglass Send a private message to Starglass Mar 16, 1:30pm
    Me, but my students are adults. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 14, 1:09am
        You are AWESOME! Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Mar 14, 3:19am
            I don't know about kids, but that dancing really works with adults. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 14, 5:29pm
                For one HS class that I subbed for, it was a reward. Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Mar 15, 12:25am
        Ok. You are way cooler than any teacher I ever had. Elwen Send a private message to Elwen Mar 14, 6:15pm
        Vuvuzela? Draupne Send a private message to Draupne Mar 15, 10:20pm
            I had to go look that up. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 15, 11:04pm
                No, not if you can play it :-) Draupne Send a private message to Draupne Mar 15, 11:44pm
                    Interesting! Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 16, 4:42am
        Thanks for sharing! Starglass Send a private message to Starglass Mar 16, 1:34pm
            Teaching high school Spanish might be different from teaching math. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 18, 3:36am
    Learn by doing squire Send a private message to squire Mar 14, 1:42am
        Thanks for the advice! Starglass Send a private message to Starglass Mar 16, 1:36pm
    I'm not a teacher, but I can be taught :D grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 14, 4:51pm
        Thanks! Starglass Send a private message to Starglass Mar 16, 1:38pm
            Good luck! // BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Mar 16, 3:04pm
    Yes, I am staring at a heap of physics papers Draupne Send a private message to Draupne Mar 14, 6:50pm
        I'm always tempted to follow my dad's advice Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 14, 6:56pm
            Maybe I should Draupne Send a private message to Draupne Mar 15, 10:17pm
    I'm an "amateur" teacher. AlassŽa Eruvande Send a private message to AlassŽa Eruvande Mar 14, 9:06pm
        You are brave! Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 15, 11:05pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.