Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Introduction and Explanation of TIME & BS posts for our newbies and lurkers :)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13, 9:46am

Views: 205
Shortcut
Introduction and Explanation of TIME & BS posts for our newbies and lurkers :) [In reply to] Can't Post

TIME (Today in Middle-earth) BS (Book Spoiler) and TORn's Geeky Observation Lists

...I started posting TIME in March, 2002. As I've read The Lord of the Rings for over 40 years, I had always wondered what was going on with the other members of the Fellowship when I was reading about Sam and Frodo in Ithilien or Merry and Pippin after they were split apart from the others. I started keeping a file on what was happening to them on any given day based on the timeline in Appendix B of the Appendices; so if there was something going on during any given day and/or year (in 3018, 3019, etc.), I listed them all together with excerpts from the book.
...During the final days of the War of the Ring, I got the brainy idea to share my madness and post them on TORn; hence, Today in Middle-earth (TIME). Some are short, some get long... depending on events. When there were slow spots in the story, I started posting my BS (Book Spoilers) to fill in the gaps of Rohan... I mean... TIME. Later on, I began to add entries from The Hobbit following the mileage charts and references from Karen Wynn Fonstad's "The Atlas of Middle-earth" that we use for TORn's Walk to Rivendell. However, these mileage charts end at The Lonely Mountain; so I have completed my own versions of mileage charts following Bilbo, Gandalf and Beorn on their journey back home. These can also be found in The Walk to Rivendell's weekly post.
...I clump my posts together in one thread, adding to it each day until it drops off the page, and I try to remember to note each one with a little buggy icon so they're easy to find. You'll notice they're chopped up a bit with these "... ..." That's to honour copyright laws and not have too much of the Professor's text displayed without breaks. I'm not posting the books... just snippets of them to commemorate the timeline of Bilbo's and the Fellowship's Quests.
...There are a lot of events in the story that are not listed in the Appendices/Fonstad's book, so I've made notes that say (from the appendices) or (not from the appendices). If it says (no text) but there's something there, it's my fanfic... just a smidge.
...I don't always list something for every year if there's nothing going on; just occasionally for a point of reference. HOWEVER, if you're seriously trying to keep track of the exact dates according to the Shire calendar, these are not accurate dates. The Shire calendar has 30 days in each month (including February), so this would affect the actual date of an event. I am no good at conversions. It hurts my brain to do math(ish) things, so I work with our modern/Gregorian calendar, which I personally find comforting and easier to follow throughout the story.

Geeky Observation Lists

...Also, if you'd like to look at the lists of movie observations TORn sibbies have discovered and shared since the moments the films were released, you can go to the link in my footer that will take you to the lists for Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers, and Return of the King. Each film has a set of lists (which I'm updating) that are more factual/subdued and a geeky list filled with details that will either leave you in awe or rolling your eyes in disbelief. Well, we're geeks... what'd you expect ;)
...There's also another set of lists that contain tidbits and more detailed observations called "There's Room For a Little More" that includes observations on music, costumes, gifts for the cast, etc. I'm adding new lists as I complete them, so watch for updates in the "News From Bree" page. Have a look and let me know if you have anything you'd like to add!
...We also have lists for The Hobbit films *geeky hand-clapping* that I'm updating all the time. It's all in good fun.

So there you are. Enjoy!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Subject User Time
TIME - March 12 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 12, 9:13am
    This is great! RangerLady23 Send a private message to RangerLady23 Mar 12, 9:32pm
        Isn't it fascinating to read dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Mar 13, 2:30am
            March is a wild time. cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Mar 13, 6:00am
        *geeky hand clapping* grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 13, 9:41am
            Introduction and Explanation of TIME & BS posts for our newbies and lurkers :) grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 13, 9:46am
                Geeky Observations Lists are my favourite BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Mar 19, 7:56pm
                    *geeky hand clapping* Thanks!!! :D // grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 20, 9:04am
            You are welcome, gramma! RangerLady23 Send a private message to RangerLady23 Mar 13, 5:52pm
    TIME - March 13 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 13, 9:30am
        TIME - March 14 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 14, 8:59am
            Wow. I have very good timing. Eruvandi Send a private message to Eruvandi Mar 14, 5:25pm
                First timer!? Awesome! :D grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 17, 1:04am
            TIME - March 15 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 15, 11:44am
                TIME - March 16 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 16, 1:39pm
                    TIME - March 17 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 17, 9:15am
                        TIME - March 18 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 18, 9:23am
                            TIME - March 19 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 19, 9:05am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.