The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Tom Bombadil vs. Shelob

KasDel
Rivendell

Mar 13 2014, 4:26am

Post #1 of 4 (2086 views)
Shortcut
Tom Bombadil vs. Shelob Can't Post

EvilConsider Shelob: a very evil individual who is considered by most a maiar (at least so the debate on this site goes)! CrazyAnd good 'ol Tom is... whatever Tom is (and that is still a debate going on). Personally I think Tom would mop up the floor with her then throw her out with the dirty water! Smile

KasDel the Last

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." Gildor

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 13 2014, 8:10am

Post #2 of 4 (1998 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean Ungoliant? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
EvilConsider Shelob: a very evil individual who is considered by most a maiar (at least so the debate on this site goes)! CrazyAnd good 'ol Tom is... whatever Tom is (and that is still a debate going on). Personally I think Tom would mop up the floor with her then throw her out with the dirty water! Smile

There’s is no statement by Tolkien saying that Ungoliant (nor Shelob) was a Maia. While it’s always a possibility, there can be no definite conclusion. However, it is likely that Shelob would not have been counted as being a Maia. Shelob would have had to have been an Ainu created by Eru before the Ainulindale to have been counted as one, but was instead the offspring of Ungoliant. Consider Luthien - she is an Elf, not a Maia, despite Melian being a Maia. In fact, the Valar and Maiar did not mate and reproduce with each other. The only certain exception to this is Melian.

Ungoliant herself is a bit of enigma just like Bombadil:

"The Eldar knew not whence she came; but some have said that in ages long before she descended from the darkness that lies about Arda, when Melkor first looked down in envy upon the kingdom of Manwe, and in the beginning she was one of those that he corupted to his service."

Ungoliant wasn't a creature created by Melkor, but also seems to have existed before the other Ainur. Metaphorically, is she supposed to be an equal and opposite to Eru? Tolkien certainly sets up the comparison in The Silmarillion - Illuvatar/Light/Life and Ungoliant/Unlight/Death.

If Bombadil is Eru, and Ungoliant his complement ... I'm not sure who would win in a battle. Wink

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 13 2014, 12:43pm

Post #3 of 4 (1991 views)
Shortcut
Tom [In reply to] Can't Post

He would run in circles around her singing songs over and over and over and over and over, until she, unable to get any of her eight legs to bend at the correct angle to cover her ears, would go nuts and stab herself with her own stinger EvilWinkSly.

Matthias132
The Shire

Mar 20 2014, 12:59am

Post #4 of 4 (2015 views)
Shortcut
Tom all the way! [In reply to] Can't Post

As much of an enigma as ungoliant was, I feel like if she were the opposite of Eru, then Melkor would not be the antagonist. Ungoliant would be the one creating thousands of evil creatures. I feel like she could have done way more damage than stated had she been Eru's opposite. I think she was just another Ainur. She was from before the world, but clearly not powerful enough to compete with Eru, nor powerful enough to crush Melkor.
That is another debate completely. As for Tom, I think he would slaughter her, and I doubt he would be Eur himself, but just another maiar most likely.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.