Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Silly news report found on Google

RangerLady23
Lorien

Mar 11 2014, 8:00pm

Post #1 of 9 (349 views)
Shortcut
Silly news report found on Google Can't Post

I found this browsing and the guy who wrote it got his facts all mixed up. The really bad part was that he said he was a huge fan of Tolkien!

"The creature called Gollum leads the tale's protaganists through the Dead Marshes or Palennor Fields.{Note the spelling} Palennor Fields was the site of the greatest battle of the War of the Ring, which was a battle that occurred long before the events seen in the books or films. If you have seen the movie, you may recall this scene and the ghastly corpses suspended just under the water."
This dude is ALL over the board. I just sat there staring at my screen with my mouth hanging open! Big fan? I don't think so!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 11 2014, 8:14pm

Post #2 of 9 (200 views)
Shortcut
Is this the article you're referencing? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.couriernews.com/...to-the-Tolkien-verse

Looks like a local paper out of Arkansas. The definitely didn't check their facts on that one!

Reminds me of the old Flying Moose homework site so many writers were tripped up by back during the pre-LOTR frenzy.

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

RangerLady23
Lorien

Mar 11 2014, 8:17pm

Post #3 of 9 (174 views)
Shortcut
Yep, that's the one! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ridiculous right?

demnation
Rohan

Mar 11 2014, 8:58pm

Post #4 of 9 (168 views)
Shortcut
Well, at least he didn't spell it "Tolkein" [In reply to] Can't Post

If seen some very ardent fans make that mistake.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 11 2014, 11:02pm

Post #5 of 9 (172 views)
Shortcut
keep in mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

...one could differentiate between 'big fan' and 'Tolkien scholar'. I'll take him at his word that he's a big fan.

Even on this forum, will all of its massive fans, I see all sorts of misspelled words. And I've seen more than one person arguing a point while getting the facts all wrong.

But he misspelled even non-Tolkien words which is kind of unforgivable for a journalist (spell check!) and he apparently doesn't have an editor (I think this is the trend, these days... even for newspaper sites). And his Tolkien facts could easily have been corrected had he done some personal fact checking. I often mis-remember or forget the details of things and I must go check to make sure I get it right. I wondered if this might have been a high school intern or something but it doesn't appear to be the case. I do think, though, that small town newspapers often hire people right off the street to write articles. A friend of mine from a very small town did photography and some article writing without any journalism training or experience. Sometimes, the job is done by the people who step up to do it. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 12 2014, 6:29pm

Post #6 of 9 (111 views)
Shortcut
Actually, he's a sports reporter [In reply to] Can't Post

Which begs the question of why he is submitting a piece about Tolkien. He was formerly a freelance "lifestyles" columnist for the paper, "recounting my various adventures as a father, and sharing the strange and hilarious things my kids say with anyone interested enough to pick up a Sunday paper."
The Courier - Your Messenger for the River Valley - Lifestyles writer moves to sports

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2014, 1:33am

Post #7 of 9 (95 views)
Shortcut
I think of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad when I read about the Dead Marshes... [In reply to] Can't Post

The scale must have been much, much larger though... I cannot imagine the carnage from that First Age battle. If the Battle of the Last Alliance was as expansive as the Marshes, what might have the stricken field of the mightiest Elven hosts looked like!? I feel like it barely touches the horror and slaughter of the battle before Angband.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

cats16
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2014, 5:55am

Post #8 of 9 (87 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, Rem. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's neat to remember that, despite how large the battles seem in LOTR, the ones of the Sil were much bigger.

Not that the size of the armies says anything about the battle itself. But it's an interesting thought, nonetheless.

Bracegirdle
Grey Havens

Mar 15 2014, 3:31am

Post #9 of 9 (75 views)
Shortcut
An old Sillyness [In reply to] Can't Post

"The creature called Gollum leads the tale's protaganists through the Dead Marshes or Palennor Fields.{Note the spelling} Palennor Fields was the site of the greatest battle of the War of the Ring, which was a battle that occurred long before the events seen in the books or films. If you have seen the movie, you may recall this scene and the ghastly corpses suspended just under the water."

I read a review back in the 80s by Edmund Wilson: "Oo, Those Awful Orcs". Sooo many incorrect facts.
But one that jumped me was his continual spelling of Gandalf as "Gandalph".

As the name "Gandalf" is used about 1,000 times in The Hobbit & LOTR (go ahead, count 'em, it's true) we immediately realize how inept and incognizant is Wilson's criticism.

One scathng sentence vomits forth prominently- "An impotence of imagination seems to sap the whole story."
Well, we all know where the "impotence" lies!

Maybe if you're going to critique a book you should read it!

From World's End then he turned away,
and yearned again to find afar .
his home through shadows journeying,
and burning as an island star . . .

-Bilbo Baggins

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.