The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
How do I make a link to a site?

RangerLady23
Lorien

Mar 11 2014, 7:34pm

Post #1 of 13 (4691 views)
Shortcut
How do I make a link to a site? Can't Post

I've tried before and it won't work. I'm not real great with computer lingo so layman's terms will help. Thanks!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 11 2014, 8:05pm

Post #2 of 13 (4619 views)
Shortcut
If you're replying in Advanced Editor mode [In reply to] Can't Post

and using IE, the link will be active automatically when you post. I know that when I post using Chrome the links don't automatically activate, but I'm not sure about other operating systems.

If you want to make the link into a word (as I've done in the last sentence of my post here), you:
* Create a message in Advanced Editor.
* Highlight the word or words you want to turn into a link.
* Click on the Link icon (at the end of the menu above the posting box).
* Paste the full URL into the dialogue box that pops up, and save.

Another way is to post using Basic Editor and use HTML tags to activate the link. To get the right codes, click on the Get Markup Help link at the top of the posting screen (or go directly to it here) and scroll to the bottom of the page for the information.

Good luck!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

RangerLady23
Lorien

Mar 11 2014, 8:16pm

Post #3 of 13 (4603 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 12 2014, 1:48am

Post #4 of 13 (4646 views)
Shortcut
One small but crucial addendum.... [In reply to] Can't Post

When you're pasting the URL into the pop-up dialogue box, be sure that you get rid of the http:// that is already there before you paste your URL in. Chances are your URL will already include it and a link won't work with two of them. It's one of those "helpful" design features which just ends up getting in the way.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 15 2014, 7:21am

Post #5 of 13 (4592 views)
Shortcut
It's pretty easy in the basic editor, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Assuming you've set your "Post Style" to Markup or Markup and HTML, here's the procedure:

* 'Copy' the link you want to send users to.
* Click on the "url" button below the editing box.
* Backspace once to remove the right square bracket.
* Type one space
* 'Paste' your link.
* Type a single right square bracket: ]
* Type the word or phrase you want to be visible on the link.
* Click on the "url" button again (it now looks like "/url" until you click it)

You're done! Looks like a lot of steps, but really very simple.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 15 2014, 3:34pm

Post #6 of 13 (4573 views)
Shortcut
interesting.... and an additional 'hint' [In reply to] Can't Post

first, the directions on the Markup help page says you have to put the url address in quotes:
[url "http://www.gossamer-threads.com"]Gossamer Threads[/url]

Your directions didn't include the quotes. I tried your directions and they work which saves me just a little trouble (esp. since quote marks require the shift key which means I have to have my hand situated such that I can use the shift key).

My additional 'hint' may not be necessary. But it may be required as a trouble shooter if someone follows this direction of yours:

* 'Copy' the link you want to send users to.
* Click on the "url" button below the editing box.
* Backspace once to remove the right square bracket.

When I click the "url" button, it deposits the code for it in the compose window but leaves my cursor at the beginning of the code. So I have to move my cursor forward to deposit the url address - whether I do that inside or outside the square bracket code. Probably most people would be able to figure that out if they tried to follow your directions but got the issue I get (I'm using Chrome). But I've learned not to assume anything when giving instructions. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2014, 4:49pm

Post #7 of 13 (4569 views)
Shortcut
A little note on this topic for people who are using Firefox as a browser [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to use Internet Explorer as a browser but recently switched to Firefox which IMO is doing much better with most things, except making links. When I was using Internet Explorer, all I had to do to create a link in a post was copy it from the (I hope this is the correct term) browser bar at the top of the page and then paste it into the dialog box? here that I am currently typing in. Sometimes it would automatically become a link just by doing that and other times I had to click directly to the right of the last symbol/number/letter in the link and hit the space bar to make it a link.

However, now that I've switched to Firefox, copying and pasting directly into the dialog box doesn't work to make a link anymore no matter what I do. If I want to make a clickable link, I have to copy the link into a Microsoft Word document, hit space so it becomes a link, then copy and paste it from there into the dialog box.

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else who uses Firefox or not, but I thought I'd share my experience, just in case it could help.

"So fare thee well, my own true love
I'll think of you night and day
A place in my mind, you will surely find
Although I am so far away
And when I'm alone, far away from home
I'll think of the good times once more
Until I can make it back someday here
To Paddy's green shamrock shore"
--The High Kings

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 15 2014, 5:11pm

Post #8 of 13 (4559 views)
Shortcut
Yep, I've being using the same method [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
However, now that I've switched to Firefox, copying and pasting directly into the dialog box doesn't work to make a link anymore no matter what I do. If I want to make a clickable link, I have to copy the link into a Microsoft Word document, hit space so it becomes a link, then copy and paste it from there into the dialog box.

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else who uses Firefox or not, but I thought I'd share my experience, just in case it could help.

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 15 2014, 5:19pm

Post #9 of 13 (4563 views)
Shortcut
That's not entirely bad [In reply to] Can't Post

Making something into a link automatically without you having to tell it to create a clickable link doesn't always work well.

This forum software will abbreviate long urls. If you copy the long url into the message and hit 'post', the url address gets abbreviated and then the browser tries to create a clickable link using that abbreviated url and it won't work.

You have to make it a clickable link before it tries to abbreviate it which means you have to activate (or write) the code for clickable links.

It always seems easier to have things do stuff without even asking you but sometimes you want - and need - the ability to choose what is being done and when.
If I want to make a clickable link, I have to copy the link into a Microsoft Word document, hit space so it becomes a link, then copy and paste it from there into the dialog box.
Well, in Firefox, there should be a button for making a link. I don't even have Firefox installed on my new computer so I can't check, but you should be able to follow the directions Silverlode gave earlier in this thread. That seems easier, to me, than opening Word up.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 15 2014, 5:29pm

Post #10 of 13 (4562 views)
Shortcut
graphic designers, web developers, and code writers have a special 'fondness' in their hearts... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for people with an over reliance on Word to do what they want.

Word can mess stuff up so much for other applications - which includes anything you're posting on the web - that it can make life miserable for us. And everyone seems to want to filter things through Word when there is no benefit for doing so

You can do everything you want on this forum without Word, I promise you. :-)

And if you have access to Advanced Editor (which you should have with Firefox and Internet Explorer), you should be able to do what you want fairly easily. You just click the button for link - I think it looks like three links in a chain. Let me grab an old screen shot from my image posting tutorial.

The cursor arrow (in that image above) is pointing to the button for placing images. The icon next to it is for making clickable links. If you have Firefox and can't see that... you may not have Advanced Editor set as default in your preferences.

I have Basic Editor which means I have to write my code (which is easier, due to the glitch in cursor placement, than using the very few 'button' we have for things). And that's still easier than opening up Word! :-)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2014, 5:34pm

Post #11 of 13 (4571 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to try that next time. It sounds much easier! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"So fare thee well, my own true love
I'll think of you night and day
A place in my mind, you will surely find
Although I am so far away
And when I'm alone, far away from home
I'll think of the good times once more
Until I can make it back someday here
To Paddy's green shamrock shore"
--The High Kings

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 16 2014, 8:30am

Post #12 of 13 (4603 views)
Shortcut
I use Firefox myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

The "Basic Editor" instructions I gave above work fine with Firefox, and (as Magpie says) are much easier than launching Word.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 22 2014, 6:24pm

Post #13 of 13 (4522 views)
Shortcut
What about linking on an ipad or phone? [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't seem to be working?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.