The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Promise to keep - a fanfic

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 11 2014, 1:00am

Post #1 of 2 (345 views)
Shortcut
Promise to keep - a fanfic Can't Post

Well I said I wouldn't write a fanfic, but I was inspired by the February "re-write Tolkien" contest. I didn't get this written in time for the contest, and I probably can't write in the stype of Jane Austin anyway, but the first thing I thought of was Col. Brandon telling Elinor Dashwood about his lost love. I remembered Richard Armitage saying he thought Thorin had a lost love, so I wrote it. I would appreciate any feedback anyone cares to offer: what I could do better, what I did well, etc. Hope you like it!

A Promise to Keep

Thorin looked longingly across the lake, as their boat came closer to the Lonely Mountain. So many thoughts flooded his mind, and a painful memory tugged at his heart; more painful even than leaving his beloved nephews behind. “For you,” he whispered, “I will keep my promise to you.” He sensed his words were overheard, and turned sharply to see Bilbo standing near. It was obvious the Hobbit heard his spoken thought, but was pretending he hadn’t. To evesdrop was very rude, and Bilbo was nothing if not polite.
The Hobbit stepped closer to the side of the boat. “We’re almost there,” he said aloud to no one in particular. Dwalin jumped out as soon as the hull scraped on the beachfront, grabbed a rope and pulled the boat forward. The other 8 dwarves climbed out as they felt it was safe, and finally it was Bilbo’s turn. Surprisingly, it was Thorin who reached out to assist the shorter Hobbit. Once the boat was secure, they began the long climb up the slope. Naturally, Bilbo was the last in line, but Thorin stayed close to him.
“You must be wondering to whom I was referring,” Thorin said quietly.
“No, I – I didn’t hear anything.”
Thorin smiled. “Master Baggins, you truly are a dreadful liar.” The Hobbit blushed, feeling embarrassed at having been caught. “Do not be worried. I will tell you something that few know, for I trust you will keep this to yourself.”
“I give you my word, Thorin.”
“Very well.” The dwarf king’s eyes grew misty. “Before Smaug came, I was a happier dwarf. I had the love of a very special dwarf maid. Her name was Katael. I asked for her hand in marriage, and she agreed to be mine. We foolishly believed we had all the time in the world, and we were planning such a grand wedding as Erebor had ever seen.” His face clouded with pain as he continued. “When the Dragon attacked, I was with the forward guard, alongside my father. Smaug broke through the gate and crushed the majority of the guard. We knew we had to flee, and my first thought was to find Katael. But Thrain insisted I find my Grandfather. I knew where he would be – down in the treasure room. I had to drag him out. By then most of my people had been killed by Smaug. Some of us managed to escape, and I searched frantically for Katael, but I could not find her. I heard from others that some escaped from the high towers, and I prayed she was with that group.”
Bilbo had slowed to a near standstill while Thorin spoke. The dwarf king stopped and scanned the high peak of the Lonely Mountain, as if he still hoped to find her there. “Those dwarves who made it out of the front gates looked to me and my father. They wanted to find a place to set up a camp nearby, but Thror had other ideas. Balin already told you that story. The women and children stayed in a camp near the Blue Mountains and waited for our return – you know there were few of us. When I returned I discovered Katael’s group had joined them. But Katael believed I was killed in Moria, and had married another dwarf. I found out later that she bore him a child – a daughter.” Here Thorin paused, looking shamefaced at his boots. “I’m afraid I was less than kind to her – I told her and her new husband to leave and never come back. To this day I regret those words.”
Bilbo was only too aware of Thorin’s wrath, having seen the way he treated Thranduil in Mirkwood. The Hobbit had felt it himself, when Thorin said “He has no place amongst us.” But things had changed between him and Thorin, and now he wished to offer some comfort. “Well, that’s understandable,” he offered. “I would have been hurt as well.”
“I somehow doubt you would have been so cruel,” Thorin admitted. “She and her husband left immediately. They found a village of menfolk, and he took work as a blacksmith. But his heart grew as cold toward her as mine did. He began to drink, and gamble in the taverns. I understand he ran up quite a debt before he abandoned them,” he said before swearing in Kuzdul. A few of the dwarves looked back at Thorin with curiosity, but no one asked any questions. Thorin leaned closer to the Hobbit and added, “When a dwarf abandons his wife, she is free to marry another. But her pride was as strong as mine. She would not seek my help again.”
Thorin looked at the ground in sorrow. “I regretted what I said, but it could not be taken back. Still, I asked about her, and finally heard of her situation. By the time I got there she had grown very ill. You see, she had to work off her husband’s debt by doing laundry and tailor work. She barely kept enough to feed her daughter, and went hungry many a night.”
“Thorin!” Dwalin had reached the top of the slope. Thorin ran to the top, Bilbo close behind. Nine dwarves and a hobbit looked across the barren landscape.
Bilbo hadn’t been prepared for this level of devastation. “What is this place?”
“The Desolation of Smaug,” Balin replied.
They began the descent toward the ruins of Dale, which took far less time. The group stopped near the twisted gates of Erebor, eager to take a rest. But Thorin ordered them to look for a way up to the hidden door. Once Bilbo located the stairs, they began their final climb. Again, Thorin walked alongside Bilbo. “Smaug has much to answer for,” he said, “as do I.”
“What do you mean?” The Hobbit felt great sympathy for the Dwarf King.
“I got to her as fast as I could, I paid the remaining debt and sent for an apothecary to treat her, but it was too late. As she lay dying, she made me promise to care for her daughter Latael, and I will keep that promise.”
“And where is she now, Latael?”
“With my sister.” Thorin smiled. “Dis told me she always wanted a daughter.” Thorin smiled as he looked up the stairs. “When we reclaim Erebor, Dis will come with Latael, and we will live together as a family. I will make Katael proud.”
“I believe you will,” Bilbo said with honestly. “I believe you will.”

THE END

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 23 2014, 4:25pm

Post #2 of 2 (270 views)
Shortcut
This is good! [In reply to] Can't Post

This makes perfect sense to me. Just imagine Kili and Fili playing with her! SmileBlush

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.