The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
I might suggest this thread be moved

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 9 2014, 1:20am

Post #1 of 7 (2880 views)
Shortcut
I might suggest this thread be moved Can't Post

GiantMushroomBear asked some questions on the LOTR movie board that aren't really movie-specific. In fact, to properly discuss them, one has to draw way more heavily on the book than the movie.

I don't know that it's getting the 'eyes' of enough people who could likely address the topic well on LOTR movie. I wonder what you all think about moving it to Main or Reading Room (I think Main would be nice but either is appropriate).

Again, I don't think it's inappropriate on LOTR movie... but I think it's more appropriate and will get more participation on another board.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=721801#721801

edit to add... GMB has posted a related thread on Off Topic. I would suggest this is more appropriate for Main since it's not 'off topic' from Tolkien at all. :-)

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=721825#721825

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 9 2014, 1:22am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 9 2014, 4:06am

Post #2 of 7 (2809 views)
Shortcut
I've moved both to Main. [In reply to] Can't Post

The RotK one was a puzzle where to place, but let's see how it does on Main.

Thanks, Magpie!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 9 2014, 7:17am

Post #3 of 7 (2810 views)
Shortcut
Ideally it belongs in the Reading Room. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think it's doing fine on Main (and Magpie's responses are brilliant).

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Mar 9 2014, 7:18am)

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 9 2014, 3:31pm

Post #4 of 7 (2807 views)
Shortcut
I was hoping there would be more replies [In reply to] Can't Post

because it's a complex and layered topic and one answer can't address all facets.

And because each person will have a different take on how to think about the resolution.

And because I am always better about what I think about LOTR than I am about bringing forth references from other sources or supplying more concrete facts and citations. Not that I think GMB is looking for citeable facts... but a conversation is made more rich by a variety of approaches to the question.

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 10 2014, 2:38am

Post #5 of 7 (2780 views)
Shortcut
Magpie, m'dear, m'dear, [In reply to] Can't Post

as I see it, nothing more really needed to be said. Your thoughtful response rang true for me and, I'd imagine, for many who read it. Ultimately, what was required for the heartfelt questions was not extensive citations but a heart response, which you gave on behalf of others here as well. It was a generous thing to spend so much careful time describing how and why you've been touched by the truthfulness in this story over the decades. Every one of my own readings of "The Lord of the Rings" has offered up surprises that I hadn't noticed previously. The book hadn't changed, of course. That's its beauty: there are treasures to be mined each time. Perhaps someone will have another answer from their place in time, but speaking as someone of a similar age and stage, your words struck home, very deeply.

To your answer we could add one sentence which makes little sense to the mind but can be understood by the heart, and that is Gandalf's last words to Merry and Pippin and Sam - words written by someone who knew.

Best,
Lissuin

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 10 2014, 3:22am

Post #6 of 7 (2823 views)
Shortcut
*small throat noise* [In reply to] Can't Post

Kind words, Lissuin. Thanks.

The small throat noise was inspired by your last sentence because I almost added that quote but thought perhaps I'd gone far enough already.

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 11 2014, 10:55pm

Post #7 of 7 (2746 views)
Shortcut
What she said :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.