Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Have you ever sought information about your ancestors on Ancestry.com?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Have you ever sought information about your ancestors on Ancestry.com?
Yes
No
I plan to one day
Not really interested
View Results (33 votes)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Mar 6 2014, 9:34pm

Post #51 of 82 (137 views)
Shortcut
We had a fun hunt for one in my husband's family. [In reply to] Can't Post

He and his cousin remembered a family story that the family had once been Catholic, but at a family funeral the priest had been drunk and had fallen into the grave, so the family became Presbyterian. Uncle Baggins and his cousin knew the rough location of the cemetery, between two towns. So we all got in the car and did some phoning and driving around and found a lovely little Catholic church (with a sign in the parking lot that said "Godspeed. God's speed is ten miles per hour.") And there were the graves of their great-great grandparents. We go there every year on Memorial Day now. We've never told the nuns the story of the open grave, and we never intend to :-D

Patty
Immortal

Mar 6 2014, 10:30pm

Post #52 of 82 (137 views)
Shortcut
I accidentally skipped over this post and just saw it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I am in the process of telling my daughter stuff that she will later want to know. I am going to write that down sometime this year so that it will be printed out. I have asked all of my father's relatives if anyone has a picture of the house that they all used to live in and where, incidentally, my father was born. I have a blurry picture of the outside but no one has a picture of the inside. And it has been torn down, too. So I know exactly what you mean.

These photo albums you've done are just absolutely beautiful! A truly precious keepsake. What I have done is I have a big book here that we call "the book of days" . It has gotten pretty heavy because I have pictures in it from both of my parents sides as well as Mr. Patty's side of the family. There are also old family documents in there, death certificates, wills, , etc. What I have been doing lately, is taking digital copies of some of the important pictures with the iPad, and I am sending them right off to other family members. We live in a flood zone, and I want to make sure that everyone has copies of the important pics, in case my iPad gets carried away in White RiverFrown.
When my father's cousin died this past January, I was put in contact with some relatives who live in California. We have been sharing digital photos. Not to mention that I have also been sending them pictures of the pages on ancestery.com that show our ancestors' info.
You are right when you say we are living in a digital world. But your beautiful albums show that it doesn't have to be an ugly one.

Patty
Immortal

Mar 6 2014, 10:57pm

Post #53 of 82 (138 views)
Shortcut
Well… [In reply to] Can't Post

My next question was going to be is it expensive ?, but then you may not know the answer to that. I had heard that it was.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Mar 7 2014, 1:03am

Post #54 of 82 (144 views)
Shortcut
That I don't know. [In reply to] Can't Post

She did the one through National Geographic:

www.genographic.com

ryouko
Lorien

Mar 7 2014, 1:30am

Post #55 of 82 (139 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I traced three families back to The Old World. One I traced back to NJ in the 1750's. Can't find anything further back. But I am umteenth generation American on all sides. ^_^

Patty
Immortal

Mar 7 2014, 1:40am

Post #56 of 82 (133 views)
Shortcut
I have tried to follow this link four times… [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason, it isn't taking me anywhere and it appears to be part of the one Ring.net? I'll try it on the computer instead of the iPad, cause I know that can't be right.

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 7 2014, 1:51am

Post #57 of 82 (131 views)
Shortcut
I like looking at folks from eras past. [In reply to] Can't Post

It gives me a sense of nostalgia. I have to go dig up what cousin joan did album-wise for us,,, so many years ago that it has slipped my mind.

I am really getting an urge to do the DNA thing. It is 99bucks.....

Patty
Immortal

Mar 7 2014, 1:52am

Post #58 of 82 (122 views)
Shortcut
That's neat ! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Mar 7 2014, 1:54am

Post #59 of 82 (128 views)
Shortcut
That's really not a bad price. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just, they could tell you anything and you'd never know it wasn't true. I'm not saying they would deliberately mislead you, but I've been thinking about this and I just don't know how you could tell if was accurate or not.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 7 2014, 1:57am

Post #60 of 82 (141 views)
Shortcut
The conspiracy theorist in me [In reply to] Can't Post

doesn't want my DNA out there...Crazy

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 7 2014, 1:57am

Post #61 of 82 (125 views)
Shortcut
It depends maybe on if the priest is still alive:) [In reply to] Can't Post

The nuns just may be the down to earth type and would get a giggle out of it.

Patty
Immortal

Mar 7 2014, 2:02am

Post #62 of 82 (124 views)
Shortcut
I hear ya. / [In reply to] Can't Post

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 7 2014, 2:08am

Post #63 of 82 (131 views)
Shortcut
Take a look at this Patty [In reply to] Can't Post

This has a video.

I welcome comments.

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 7 2014, 2:10am

Post #64 of 82 (129 views)
Shortcut
AE! [In reply to] Can't Post

You silly gooseSly

Patty
Immortal

Mar 7 2014, 2:14am

Post #65 of 82 (128 views)
Shortcut
So… [In reply to] Can't Post

They compare this sample that you send in with other people's samples and that's how you they find out who your cousins may be ? But only from the relatively few samples of DNA that they would get, I would imagine. I like that they continue to update you if they find new matches.

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 7 2014, 2:30am

Post #66 of 82 (120 views)
Shortcut
I remember now a show [In reply to] Can't Post

on one of the informative stations about this. Actually it was quite extensive. One thing was, how extensive it was to have the combination of the general European/american gene and the afro/american gene in this country.

The dna trail was able to delve way back to the branches of the tree of life as it never could be done before. There was also this team of researchers that traveled throughout Europe and Asia taking dna samples of all kinds of cultures and it was so fascinating how the many origins came to life. Many surprizes.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 7 2014, 4:42am

Post #67 of 82 (115 views)
Shortcut
try this link: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.genographic.com

Something got messed up with the code.

Patty
Immortal

Mar 7 2014, 5:15am

Post #68 of 82 (115 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Magpie. I wonder… [In reply to] Can't Post

If all these different groups who are doing this research pooling their results in order to get a huge shared database. They could sure get a lot more information that way. So far it doesn't seem enough of a percentage of people have done this to give even statistically signicant results.

Patty
Immortal

Mar 7 2014, 5:21am

Post #69 of 82 (114 views)
Shortcut
I've got a real cute picture of my dad when he was a little over year old [In reply to] Can't Post

Sitting in a chair wearing those black hightop shoes. I can't get nostalgic for that time because I wasn't around back then, , ha ha, but I love looking at pictures of people from past years. Their oil clothes, or the old cars. I really enjoyed that when looking at Magpie's albums, for example.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Mar 7 2014, 5:56pm

Post #70 of 82 (114 views)
Shortcut
That would be very surprising [In reply to] Can't Post

since the funeral was in the 1870s :-D

Kirls

Mar 8 2014, 3:56pm

Post #71 of 82 (104 views)
Shortcut
Relatives have [In reply to] Can't Post

Used ancestry.com and many other sources.
The maternal side traced their ancestry back to 1540s Germany long before the Internet existed. They traveled there and took pictures of the originating village (ie, going back as far as they could). My most recent ancestor from Germany immigrated to the USA a decade or so before The Civil War but most remained in New York and never took part. Another branch left almost immediately for the California GoldRush. Their descendants lived within 20 miles of my own family and we never knew until the Genealogies were published.

The paternal side is Cherokee (quite a bit more difficult to trace prior to the late 18th century), Irish (and possibly others) whose immigrations were so far back in time as to be lost in the mistbefore good record keeping. This side makes me feel more rooted to this actual land - because they have been here so long.

I think your assessment that thoughts of heritage arise about the age of 40 are probably accurate for most. I know in my family the interest was much earlier and kept alive in the younger ones by the knowledge that the elder ones were pursuing it. And on the paternal side by knowing we can't really get to it reliably. It's really very sad. And living almost my entire life in the SouthWest of the USA, I have heard the "go back to Europe" crowd my entire life. I have very little connection to my maternal European roots and Have no expectation that I will ever abandon the land of my birth.

Escapist
Gondor

Mar 8 2014, 4:03pm

Post #72 of 82 (97 views)
Shortcut
At times I have felt a longing / calling / dreaming to go back to Europe [In reply to] Can't Post

but it isn't the least bit practical at all whatsoever.

Now that I have been reading more posts from others, I realize that even with my families keeping track of ancestors and things, we don't have much that stretches before coming to the US. But then, most of the ancestry goes pretty far back by many, many generations in the US and some ancestry on one side is Native American (but not enough to make any official claims etc. of tribal membership etc.).

Escapist
Gondor

Mar 8 2014, 4:26pm

Post #73 of 82 (108 views)
Shortcut
What I can remember at the top of my head, being well shy of 40 [In reply to] Can't Post

I am officially a "daughter of the American Revolution" and we can trace part of our family history to one of those first ships that came over the Atlantic (Mayflower? I forget which one for sure).

Another big branch of the family came over during the potato famine in Ireland and changed their name to a British name to dodge the persecution/discrimination of the time of the Irish in this country. That branch has a long-standing tradition of being farmer-teachers (both at once) in more rural areas. We have letters and pictures and somewhere in the family someone still has at least one foot on a piece of old family land from that time.

Other branches I have heard about include French / Canadian horse thieves (a story also repeated about our family amongst those who visited Ireland) and either Sioux or Cree (probably near the US/Canada border near western Minnesota - but here I am guessing a little bit).

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 8 2014, 5:35pm

Post #74 of 82 (104 views)
Shortcut
The only link I feel to [In reply to] Can't Post

Europe is the general main stream cultural heritage of the USA and Tolkiens writing. I never had any desire to visit and only did so as part of my job. I made a side trip to London once and went to Stonehenge.

Oops, I have to sort of take this back a little bit as I do wish to visit Ireland dur to my Irish heritage. :-)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 9 2014, 4:35am

Post #75 of 82 (91 views)
Shortcut
My mother's paternal line has already been pretty well researched [In reply to] Can't Post

My aunt has a book which traces their father's line back to the Norman Conquest. I don't know how accurate it is because they have my birth date and my cousin's mixed up. If they can screw up something that easy to verify, who knows what else is wrong. But even a fairly casual search on-line shows that the basics are corroborated. I'd like to look up my Dad's line, but it's not as easy; there are precious few with the same last name in the USA. I had what must have been a distant cousin contact me on Facebook a few years ago, but I soon "unfriended" him; he was kind of creepy. CrazyUnsure

BTW, I'm in my 40's, but my sister's 20-something kids have shown interest in their genealogy.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.