Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Your passion for LotR
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

RangerLady23
Lorien

Mar 6 2014, 7:18pm

Post #1 of 34 (477 views)
Shortcut
Your passion for LotR Can't Post

I know this topic can be a tender spot for many and that we all appreciate Tolkien in different ways. But my question is basically this; Do you still feel the same passion for LotR that you once did? It doesn't matter if you have been a longtime fan of the books and then the movies or if you came to the movies first.
I know it has been 60 years since Fellowship and Towers were published and I know that the first of the trilogy was 13 years ago. I also realize that times have changed, effects have improved and interests have come and gone. Teenagers in the thick of LotR fever have grown up, gotten married and moved on. But I have been a passionate fan since 2004 and I still feel today, the same as I did then. I still love to read all the books and I am quick to defend them. I still watch the movies as often as I can, Special Features included. I still get goosebumps at certain points and even still find myself bawling like a baby at times over certain scenes. I still feel a thrill when I hear or see the words Lord Of the Rings and I still feel that same magic when I read or watch them. Posters still cover my walls and my collection still steadily grows. From the very beginning, LotR has felt like home. A safe place to rest for awhile whether watching the movies or reading the books. It stirs something within me and makes me feel secure, at peace and like I belong. Basically, do you still feel something special when you pick up the books or press play for the movies? I know for many, the magic has faded, or they were burnt out back in the early 2000's. Not so much your interest, but more your desire to surround yourself with LotR. Read it, watch, it, collect it. Obviously we still have a desire to talk about it or we wouldn't be on TORn! I am curious to see you replies. Not accusing anyone of being a NARF, not at all. Just want to see if anyone else still carries the same torch for LotR now as then. Thank you for your input! Cool

Nuradar
Rohan

Mar 6 2014, 7:31pm

Post #2 of 34 (241 views)
Shortcut
I still love them as much [In reply to] Can't Post

I still love the movies and books as much as when they first came out (or when I first read the books). The nature of my admiration for them may have changed, but I still love them, nonetheless. I watch a "marathon" of all 3 movies, twice a year (in the fall and spring) and have been doing that since I bought all 3 Extended Editions on DVD back in 2004. Each time, I look forward to a different scene and find something different to admire and respect. Watching them feels like "going home" in a way, similar to your description.

I hope I never grow bored of them. Looking forward to my next spring viewing, which should be in a couple of months...

BlackFox
Valinor

Mar 6 2014, 7:37pm

Post #3 of 34 (242 views)
Shortcut
A newbie here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I'm what you'd call a new fan. I contracted "Middle-earth fever" in late 2012 and, I fear, it's only getting worse... Smile So even if some old fans should "step down", I'm sure there are plenty of new ones willing to "fill in the blank" (although I'm positive there's room for all of us Wink).

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2014, 7:57pm

Post #4 of 34 (237 views)
Shortcut
My passion for the books [In reply to] Can't Post

has been going strong for 30 years. Like you, I always feel that "coming home" feeling of belonging when I come back to them, as if they've been there waiting for me (just me!) all along.

I still enjoy the movies too, but although I've always liked them, I don't feel quite the same sense of "mine" as I do with the books. They are special to me, but, well, they're not and never can be the "original" that I fell in love with during my formative years! Smile

"My chief objection to a quarrel is that it ends a good argument." --G.K. Chesterton

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2014, 8:43pm

Post #5 of 34 (221 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I contracted Middle-earth fever in summer 2013. I can say from personal experience that the symptoms include feelings of intense euphoria, rapid heartbeat, random, geeky outbursts of squee-ing, and a sudden, strong affinity for short dudes with large, hairy feet. There just ain't no cure, I tell ya!Wink

"So fare thee well, my own true love
I'll think of you night and day
A place in my mind, you will surely find
Although I am so far away
And when I'm alone, far away from home
I'll think of the good times once more
Until I can make it back someday here
To Paddy's green shamrock shore"
--The High Kings

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Mar 6 2014, 9:08pm

Post #6 of 34 (217 views)
Shortcut
I will never stop thanking PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

for giving us his vision of ME and for permitting people like me, who live in a country where Tolkien's books were not very popular at the time, to fall in love with LOTR.

My "love story" with LOTR is based both on books and films because I read the books just around the release of FOTR, so the characters had always had the actors' faces and voices. PJ's vision has always been my vision, Howard Shore's awesome music has always been my symbol of ME.

Of course I understand there are flaws and there are some choices I don't agree with, but I have always been a positive fan: I cannot be a purist because my love for both media, films and books, was born at the same time, and one cannot exist without the other.

As far as the Hobbit was concerned, I read it when I was an adult, not a child (and after reading LOTR): moreover, in my country the Hobbit has never become a children's classic, not even now. So the memory of my first reading is not pervaded by the sweet childhood memories of a parent reading the book to me, or something like that: on the opposite I think I could see all its shortcomings but appreciate it a lot just the same.

Nonetheless, what made me fall in love with the tragic story of Dwarves in general but especially of the ones belonging to Durin's line was the IV Appendix of LOTR (my favourite, together with the genealogy of the Rohirrim, which is a little masterpiece of Royal Genealogy).

So, probably, I am an uncomplaining kind of fan: I love PJ's casting (included his two strokes of luck, both the replacements have been very lucky ones, and definitely better than the first choices). The exclusion of Tom Bombadil and the inclusion of Tauriel have never been major issues for me, but I wasn't pleased by the exclusion of Prince Imrahil, one of my favourites of ROTK.

I have watched the films countless times, I have re-read the books recently, I am mad about any kind of special behind-the-scenes.
One day I hope I'll visit New Zealand (even if it is so far away and so expensive).
Believe it or not, I have seen DOS only once, not even in English, and I even missed part of the scene at the Prancing Pony because we arrived late at the cinema after a 50-minute-journey by car!!!
But I have seen as much as I could on youtube and I will definitely spend many happy hours with the DOS dvd...SmileHeartHeart

(This post was edited by Elanor of Rohan on Mar 6 2014, 9:11pm)

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2014, 10:48pm

Post #7 of 34 (203 views)
Shortcut
My passion dates back to the early eighties, [In reply to] Can't Post

and I recently became a regular here, so that should say something. I'm not all Tolkien all the time, but I don't think I'll ever "outgrow" the books. I guess you could say that my passion, or fascination if you will, relents... occasionally.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Mar 7 2014, 1:41am

Post #8 of 34 (202 views)
Shortcut
Just starting my umpteenth re-read of LotR. [In reply to] Can't Post

It never gets old. Every time I find (or re-discover) new gem-like details or ideas. I've also read the Sil and The Hobbit, several times each, as well as much of HoME and a number of books about Tolkien and his work. The passion doesn't fade!

I loved the movies, for the most part, and saw the LotR films many times both in theatres and at home, but the last time through LotR was several years ago now. I'm enjoying The Hobbit, but it isn't in the same class as the first three.

Gunslinger24
The Shire

Mar 7 2014, 2:30am

Post #9 of 34 (197 views)
Shortcut
Just as passionate as ever. [In reply to] Can't Post

I caught the fever when my dad took me to see Fellowship when I was 11. Afterwards he helped me discover Tolkien and the books and I haven't looked back. I have about 3 shelves of Tolkien books, books about Tolkien and his creations and movie related books. And a few times a month I will spend the day and night just going through them and read and look at things I've done many times before and I love it. I have the original 2 disc dvds and the big box set of the Blu-ray extended trilogy and have a marathon at least once a year and then I watch the special features. I also have a few Tolkien/Jackson related tattoos planned. Just something about all of this I love and makes me happy, cant really explain it. Being able to get lost in another world and not have to worry about anything else is just fantastic and wonderful. And I plan on being like this for the rest of my life. For the girls being all love struck over dwarves and such, I must say theres a few female Elves I wouldn't mind traveling through Middle-earth with haha Cool Wink

I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain.

Bracegirdle
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2014, 5:05am

Post #10 of 34 (184 views)
Shortcut
An Oldie Here! [In reply to] Can't Post

They have been my friends.
They have been my heroes.
They have been my companions.
For forty-plus years I have made the journeys, suffered the trials, rejoiced the victories, aware as I travel with my friends, of every leaf and tree.
I have crept to the window eavesdropping with Sam Gamgee (even though there aren’t no eaves at Bag End).
I have had a pint or two with Daddy Twofoot at the Ivy Bush, while the Gaffer “held forth”.
I’ve been bitten by neekerbreekers.
I have listened in on quiet talks between Glorfindel and Elrond.
I’ve climbed the Mallorn trees in Lothlorien, and gazed in Galadriel’s Mirror.
I’ve floated the Anduin, chased Orcs, and gently stroked the flanks of the great Shadowfax.
So many times I’ve spurred my horse in attempt to keep up with the Charge of Theoden on The Pelennor - but he was ever before me.
I have laughed at Gandalf’s anecdotes, marveled at his sacrifices, and wept with his words of comfort at the White Ship’s sailing – “Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say; do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.”

Yes, I have been a fan since my first reading some 44 years ago, and have read H & LOTR at least 40 times; S maybe 15. My passion has simmered somewhat but not died (I still read the books every year or two). Twenty years ago I could recite Bilbo’s Song of Earendil from memory, but the mind ebbs. Yet give me a quote even today and I can find it in ninety seconds.

So I was, and still am, a Tolkien purist. In the books lies the truth. When Jackson’s movies came out I, at first, was disappointed with all the deletions, additions, inaccuracies etc. But now I can enjoy them for what they are: Eye-candy and his interpretation of a great epic. I’m sure there will always be somewhat of a (hopefully friendly) schism between those who have seen the movies but not read the books.

demnation
Rohan

Mar 7 2014, 8:18am

Post #11 of 34 (184 views)
Shortcut
I'd say my passion has waxed more and waxed less, but it has never waned [In reply to] Can't Post

There are times when my interest drops and I indulge in my other interests ( in fact, I feel like I need to take a break now) but I always come back. Tolkien, Middle-earth, etc. has been the one constant in my life, and I feel safe in saying that I'll still love it all in 20 years. The things I love most is that it is constantly evolving and changing for me as I get older. I've even have a new found appreciation for PJ's LOTR films.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 7 2014, 11:59am

Post #12 of 34 (190 views)
Shortcut
Oh... I tolerate the books and the films now.. [In reply to] Can't Post

ONLY TO EXCESSSSS!!!! :D No, my joy and love for the books (since 1971) and the films *twitch* have not faded at all. I seriously cannot think of what my life would have been like without the books being my companion and respite through all the different phases of my life. It still amazes me that this same story still has surprises for me as it touches on what I'm feeling and experiencing even at 62 years old!

And I really to love and enjoy Peter Jackson's telling of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Philippa Boyens, Fran Walsh and he have so much respect for Tolkien's work that I have always felt they are good stewards of the stories. It's like having MORE Tolkien :D

I read from the books every night just before going to sleep, but I'll wait to watch the films when I can sit and have my own little marathon from start to finish. I won't watch it piecemeal or on television. The advertisements make me scream at the screen every time I'm interrupted! ;)

This is great RangerLady23!! PARTY ON!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Elarie
Gondor

Mar 7 2014, 2:41pm

Post #13 of 34 (163 views)
Shortcut
LOTR has been my favorite book since the first time I read it... [In reply to] Can't Post

when I was 19 years old. It was the week after we finished basic training and I was hanging around the base waiting for my orders and somebody recommended this book to me. I was totally swept away and afterward was probably the only person in the Air Force with a big piece of smooth tree bark hanging next to my bed with "A Elbereth Gilthoniel, silivren penna muriel" written on it. :)

For me, the movies have been an exciting, fresh way to enjoy the stories, and to re-ignite my love and interest in the books, which can tend to get pushed aside when life gets too busy. Opening one of the books for a re-read is like sinking onto a soft couch with a sigh and saying, "home at last." And for me, settling down into my seat at the movie theater and seeing the logo and hearing the music start is very much the same sensation, and one that never gets old.

I guess it's true - there's just no such thing as too much Middle Earth.

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2014, 2:46pm

Post #14 of 34 (159 views)
Shortcut
I had pics from Tolkien calendars all over my room [In reply to] Can't Post

as soon as the Air Force gave me one of my own in the barracks at Little Rock AFB. Where were you based?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Calithilel
Bree

Mar 7 2014, 3:12pm

Post #15 of 34 (152 views)
Shortcut
I first saw the movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn´t old enough to watch Return of the King when it came out, I didn´t even know it existed FOTR and TTT, but i got totally in love in the Aragorn poster.

Not to mention when i saw Helm´s Deep fight on tv, and that was just awesome. I´ve been in love ever since, and the passion is still there.
Love to read the books over again, see the movies. Really hope that doesn´t go off over the years :P

thursday_next
The Shire

Mar 7 2014, 3:18pm

Post #16 of 34 (152 views)
Shortcut
Nearly 50 years now... [In reply to] Can't Post

I first read the LOTR when I was 9, so this year will be my 50th anniversary. I don't know how many times I've read it, it must be at least 40, and probably more.

I can find my way through FOTR and TTT without bursting into tears, but once ROTK starts I'm in bits. Does anyone else get that?

'But ere long it escaped our skill, and we dared not continue the hunt; for we were drawing nigh to Dol Guldur, and that is still a very evil place; we do not go that way'

Elarie
Gondor

Mar 7 2014, 3:35pm

Post #17 of 34 (144 views)
Shortcut
My first assignment... [In reply to] Can't Post

was training at the Presidio in Monterey, CA, then a few months more at San Angelo, TX, and then four years in West Berlin - such a great city.

Watching the Berlin DOS premiere on the internet was so cool. Wish I could go back to visit - it's been a long time.

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Mar 7 2014, 3:45pm

Post #18 of 34 (152 views)
Shortcut
My love for LOTR is like the tide. [In reply to] Can't Post

Its intensity rises and ebbs, but it's always there and it will never leave me. Sometimes I get distracted by other fandoms, but in the end the depth of Middle-earth and the wholeness of its philosophy will drag me back to it. I guess you could say that to me everything else is just a fandom, while LOTR is a way of life. Smile

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Mar 7 2014, 11:54pm

Post #19 of 34 (141 views)
Shortcut
You've got me beat--by a little [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading this thread, I was beginning to think the discouraging thought that I was the longest-term fan, and probably the oldest, in the group. But I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings when I was 15, back in 1965 (when the Ballantine paperbacks first came out in the USA), so my 50th anniversary will be next year.

I have certainly not read it anything like 50 times. More like five or six, though I have dipped into it frequently. I've also gone through it taking notes for a book I'm writing about it, so some readings have been intense!

At any rate, I think it's safe to say that the love of Tolkien's work is not something that fades away easily.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 8 2014, 1:03am

Post #20 of 34 (148 views)
Shortcut
I used to post an occasional question [In reply to] Can't Post

whether the members here were book-firsters or movie-firsters, and how folks came to Tolkien. I loved reading all the replies because it shows the wide range of experiences that all come back to JRRT. I first read The Hobbit in 1974 for a class assignment, and I read it in two nights, then tore through LOTR in about a week, reading every evening after school. As soon as I finished, I went back and re-read everything, lingering over he final pages of ROTK because I didn't want the experience to end. Thank goodness for the appendices, which allowed me to slowly detach from Middle-earth.

This was in 1974, the year after the Professor died and three years before The Silmarillion was published. LOTR and The Hobbit were all we had for stories about Middle-earth. I didn't read The Sil for many years, but I re-read LOTR and The Hobbit every year. Those were pre-internet days, so I didn't know that there were other people like me. I was limited to introducing my siblings to Tolkien, and I turned all of them in to fans.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 8 2014, 3:09am

Post #21 of 34 (135 views)
Shortcut
I had a long gap of disinterest in Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

2003 - After Return of the King it was a little depressing that it had all come to an end after obsessing over Lord of the Rings for so long. I moved on and found new interests.

2007 - Then Children of Hurin came out which sparked my interest again, I returned to Lord of the Rings older and wiser and then read The Silmarillion for the first time and loved it, but I didn't obsess over it in the same way.

2009 - Rumblings of The Hobbit movie started and my ears pricked up

2010 - Two Hobbit films greenlit. Now I'm more passionate about it than I ever was.

As a teen I loved the wars and battles and action, the scale of the world and the creatures etc. I was really obsessed with the fantasy of it all.

As an adult passionate is a better word than obsessed. I now love the poetry (which I used to hate) and sense of culture, the complexity of it all and thoughts and meanings behind the books. I guess I read between the lines a lot more than I used to and I feel that maybe I understand and relate to it better now, although maybe the teenage me would disagree with that.

Great question, btw.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Mar 8 2014, 3:14am)

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 8 2014, 4:31am

Post #22 of 34 (142 views)
Shortcut
I'm not entirely sure what year I read them [In reply to] Can't Post

but I remember the math teacher I had while I was reading it and I had her for my junior and senior year of math. That puts it between Sept 68 and June 70,

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 8 2014, 12:12pm

Post #23 of 34 (108 views)
Shortcut
Just confirmed [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't listen to the soundtracks at work. I still laugh or blubber like a fool during so many songs. *sigh*

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 8 2014, 5:44pm

Post #24 of 34 (101 views)
Shortcut
Mine is [In reply to] Can't Post

Undying.

First read, I was 10 years old in the sixth grade. I read them over and over every summer for years, always getting something more out of it. High school and college and starting my career left far less time and years went by between re- reads.

And then, I was shamed into, dragged to the theatre to see FOTR. I came out of the theatre in awe and restarted my re-reads. I am grateful to Jackson, Boyens, and Walsh for creating on screen images that I had formed in my own imagination and for helping me rediscover the books.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

RangerLady23
Lorien

Mar 8 2014, 8:16pm

Post #25 of 34 (83 views)
Shortcut
Great responses, all! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never imagined this kind of a response to such a simple little question. Thanks TORnsibs!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.