Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A Thrain Observation - Spoilers.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 8 2014, 1:24am

Post #1 of 7 (816 views)
Shortcut
A Thrain Observation - Spoilers. Can't Post

I'm not sure if anyone's noticed this, I might just be being slow again, but I've been looking into everything I can find about Thrain and the best look I can get of him is this:

http://www.games-workshop.com/...GiftIcon_873x627.jpg

And the first thing I notice is his left hand, that should bear the dwarven ring, has apparently been severed, just like Azog's hand. Possibly in revenge or possible to get the dwarven ring, or possibly both!

He also somehow still has his sword, but lost his shoes as far as I can see?

Dcole4
Lorien

Mar 8 2014, 1:57am

Post #2 of 7 (480 views)
Shortcut
This stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

This Thrain stuff I really hope makes it back into the EE in it's entirety. The Moria battle and the Dol Guldur scenes sound so interesting. I'm especially curious to see how the ring thread plays out, part of me suspects it'll be a big part of the storyline in TABA. The "last" dwarven ring might be the connective tissue that ties the Dol Guldur/Sauron plot with the Erebor plot in film 3, but we'll see.

I wonder if they'll ever show how Gandalf got the key and map. It surely won't take place in Dol Guldur (as some fans insist). I have a feeling this might be part of the Moria flashback (that I suspect will be nestled into the Bree sequence in DOS EE).

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 8 2014, 2:14am

Post #3 of 7 (409 views)
Shortcut
It was always my favourite aspect of the story [In reply to] Can't Post

Back when they said they were making two and then three films I was really excited by the idea of seeing Thrain's story play out. Unfortunately they made a lot of changes and then apparently cut it. It's such a shame.

I agree we'll hopefully see a little something of Thrain in Moria as a flashback in Bree. I don't think Thrain will be in Dol Guldur in the EE at all. I think maybe he's been moved to TABA. Which is interesting because, like Denethor, we'll see him first in a flashback in film 2 EE and then properly in film 3.

Shagrat
Gondor

Mar 8 2014, 10:14am

Post #4 of 7 (326 views)
Shortcut
I'm not so sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I can see fingers just protruding from the sleeve.

Kathuphazgân
The Shire

Mar 8 2014, 8:18pm

Post #5 of 7 (201 views)
Shortcut
360 degree view [In reply to] Can't Post

The site for the manufacturer of that miniature features a 360-degree view in which it becomes apparent that the character's left hand is not, in fact, severed; the sleeve of his garment is just mostly covering it.

Imago Splendoris Regem Hominorum In Gloria Non Obscura Ante Ruptus Mundi.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Mar 9 2014, 1:28am

Post #6 of 7 (167 views)
Shortcut
is that a model of Thrain from the films? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or just some middle earth character toy not actually related to the films?

I can't wait to see how this Thrain stuff plays out. I've seen a few people say that DOS has parts at Dol Guldur where Thrain was obviously edited out, which parts are they?

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Mar 9 2014, 7:01am

Post #7 of 7 (160 views)
Shortcut
There is a DoS VFX video... [In reply to] Can't Post

linked to in this thread
Dcole4 spotted Thrain crossing a walkway just prior to Gandalf, during a Dol Guldur clip... The old Bolg design can also be seen right at the beginning of the video.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.