Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Why is the troll in ROTK funny?

Annatar598
Rohan

Mar 5 2014, 3:16am

Post #1 of 12 (619 views)
Shortcut
Why is the troll in ROTK funny? Can't Post

Stupid question but It's been annoying me for a long time!

The troll that reacts to the huge rock that the Gondorian trebuchets hurl directly at Gothmog is funny... But why? I don't really get the scene. Gothmog steps away just in time and the stone lands on... the troll's foot?

Help!

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Mar 5 2014, 3:32am

Post #2 of 12 (392 views)
Shortcut
If it makes you feel better [In reply to] Can't Post

...I have NEVER understood that scene, either. I've always assumed that the troll's blank look in response to Gothmog's hypocrisy in order his troops to stand still and yet moving himself was supposed to be funny, but that doesn't make much sense. I don't think trolls are capable of grasping hypocrisy.

Does the stone land on the troll's foot? That would make much more sense. If so, it should show the troll kicking it off or something. Crazy

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Annatar598
Rohan

Mar 5 2014, 3:59am

Post #3 of 12 (347 views)
Shortcut
Ah that's interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'll stick to your interpretation...

I don't think it lands on the foot now, upon closer inspection.

Still, as you said, can trolls comprehend hypocrisy?

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 5 2014, 7:54am

Post #4 of 12 (350 views)
Shortcut
It's just a disgruntled and incredulous sound ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably induced by the fact he (or she) didn't expect the boulder to miss Gothmog. I don't think the Troll finds it funny.

It also doesn't land on the Trolls foot - the Troll isn't next to Gothmog at the time.

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 6 2014, 1:30pm

Post #5 of 12 (282 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was in reaction to the boulder missing Gothmog [In reply to] Can't Post

How Gothmog just stands there until the last second and then moves aside and spits on it. I thought it was supposed to be a sort of "Gothmog-is-a-bad-a**" type of moment and reaction.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 6 2014, 3:00pm

Post #6 of 12 (285 views)
Shortcut
"Where the heck did THAT come from????" [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought it indicated that the troll wasn't exactly the brightest crayon in Sauron's box. That is, connecting the cause of the firing of a trebuchet on the ramparts of Minas Tirith with the effect of a boulder crashing on the ground right next to him was a bit too abstract of a concept.

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Mar 7 2014, 3:05pm

Post #7 of 12 (213 views)
Shortcut
This makes the most sense yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

It says in the Appendices that the Olog-hai (I read somewhere that this troll is supposed to belong to that group) are more intelligent than other types of trolls, but that's only relatively speaking. Tongue Dull crayons, all right.

I guess that means that Bert, William, and Tom are just troll Einsteins or something...

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Calithilel
Bree

Mar 7 2014, 3:17pm

Post #8 of 12 (229 views)
Shortcut
I actually thought [In reply to] Can't Post

it was because Gothmog isnīt that fast when he walks, (I assume every orc in Mordor knows that xD) and then he managed to step out of the way in time.
So it came like a shocking for the troll.

Remus
Lorien

Mar 7 2014, 8:11pm

Post #9 of 12 (211 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

the troll was like "oh no! that was close!" or "that was a close one!" kinda thing.

I wanna see a scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dur and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

(This post was edited by Altaira on May 25 2014, 5:02pm)

Calithilel
Bree

Mar 7 2014, 10:26pm

Post #10 of 12 (292 views)
Shortcut
xD [In reply to] Can't Post

hahaha yes, either way the look of the troll always makes me laugh. :P

Bracegirdle
Grey Havens

Mar 21 2014, 12:00am

Post #11 of 12 (106 views)
Shortcut
Ouch! Said the troll's foot [In reply to] Can't Post

Three times - real fast..

It's a whole stone's throw to the stone troll's hole !! Smile

From World's End then he turned away,
and yearned again to find afar .
his home through shadows journeying,
and burning as an island star . . .

-Bilbo Baggins

Bracegirdle
Grey Havens

Mar 24 2014, 9:17pm

Post #12 of 12 (89 views)
Shortcut
Oh! [In reply to] Can't Post

The funniest line in the 1st H. movie.... (I know this is LOTR, just sneakin' in, sneakin' I say)

As the questers are about to escape Goblin Town the Great Goblin pops up and says, "What you gonna do now Wizard."
Gandalf whacks him in the head and slices open his belly..
The Great Goblin says, "That'll do it!"

Laughed till I cried....

From World's End then he turned away,
and yearned again to find afar .
his home through shadows journeying,
and burning as an island star . . .

-Bilbo Baggins

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.