The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
On the fence about the UC Orcrist scabbard

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 7 2014, 3:55pm

Post #1 of 21 (1687 views)
Shortcut
On the fence about the UC Orcrist scabbard Can't Post

The scabbard for the UC Ocrist seems to finally be available via Amazon, but it's not cheap. And unhappily w. what few comments there are, a fair number of folks are none to pleased with it's plastic construction.
One even complained the sword punched through the scabbard at the tip.

There's all kinds of plastics - some every good quality - but considering the quality of the UC Orcrist at its price point I'm disappointed reading these reviews at Amazon. I might get it just to protect the sword and I don't know what I was expecting - but wasn't expecting negative reviews, not like those. I suppose I was expecting some use of metal in the scabbard, even pot metal.

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 7 2014, 5:55pm

Post #2 of 21 (1612 views)
Shortcut
Protect the blade? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're thinking of storing Orcrist in the scabbard, that's not wise. Scabbards trap moisture next to the blade, so unless you want to clean and polish it at least once a week, it's better off unsheathed so that the metal can "breathe."

Can you guess how I learned that? Frown

I knew you could.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 7 2014, 8:39pm

Post #3 of 21 (1602 views)
Shortcut
oh geez - thank you!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially since Orcrist is in a room with a 55 gallon fish tank. Thank you - I love that sword. It may not be the $$$$ WETA version, but I love it just the same. I still *might* get the sheathe, just wish there were more reviews so I could get a better idea if people are having unrealistic expectations at the price, or if someone dropped the ball at UC.

That kind of money could be put to some other swords that I like.

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 7 2014, 9:10pm

Post #4 of 21 (1630 views)
Shortcut
Glad to help. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm curious, where is the balance point on Orcrist?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 8 2014, 1:04am

Post #5 of 21 (1618 views)
Shortcut
Balance point [In reply to] Can't Post

I find it to be about 5.1 inches from the visual midpoint of the guard (since its so angled), Meneldor. Its frontheavy.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room April, 2014. *The Call for Submissions is up*!

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 8 2014, 2:07am

Post #6 of 21 (1595 views)
Shortcut
Heavy!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

All I know, in pathetically imitating RA using the v-blogs, the move he does bringing the sword around or even figure eights is unbelievably hard, for me anyway. And this replica I think is slightly shorter than the real one.
I was even more impressed with the workouts he must have done to look comfortable on screen.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Mar 8 2014, 1:51pm

Post #7 of 21 (1597 views)
Shortcut
Probably the prop sword he was swinging around [In reply to] Can't Post

He was probably swinging around a much lighter prop sword to accomplish this moves. The real sword is only used in action shots, but when fight scenes occur (like the spider sequence), a fake sword made of light material is used.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 8 2014, 3:37pm

Post #8 of 21 (1581 views)
Shortcut
Oof! 5 inches? [In reply to] Can't Post

I like 1-2 inches in swords that I actually use for more than decorations.

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 8 2014, 5:42pm

Post #9 of 21 (1572 views)
Shortcut
2 Orcrists for the film [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, RA has talked about the "real sword" being beautiful but hugely heavy - the "show" sword" and there's a lighter fighting sword - but the lighter sword, from what he's said, isn't that easy to work with either. I'm assuming even fighting props have to be heavy because the tech guys were saying the 3-D cameras can't be fooled - they used edged blades at times because of the way light would show the edge was faked if they didn't.

But whether it's his stunt guy or RA, love watching Orcrist in use in the Goblin tunnels - the fast scene where the sword is brought around cutting through 3 goblins. And I respect that the actors trained so hard.

PS. That's one of the things I'm looking forward to re the DOS DVD, being able to get a real good look at the spider sequence. The way that is shot is exciting but so frenzied it's tough to get a good look - gets the excitement across but I really want to see what is going on in detail.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 9 2014, 2:26am

Post #10 of 21 (1601 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Orcrist is a bit identity-challenged... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the sword that swings like an axe. Laugh
It would make a fantastic executioner's blade.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room April, 2014. *The Call for Submissions is up*!

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Mar 25 2014, 9:03am

Post #11 of 21 (1527 views)
Shortcut
what makes you say it swings like an axe, is that something RA said? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Mar 25 2014, 9:06am

Post #12 of 21 (1522 views)
Shortcut
4-5 inches is typical in historical examples [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I like 1-2 inches in swords that I actually use for more than decorations.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Mar 25 2014, 9:10am

Post #13 of 21 (1532 views)
Shortcut
buy the scabbard, just display it next to or crossed over the blade. These are far from real swords and scabbards, just buy them for the visual pleasure they can give you hanging up and don't worry too much about in use durability. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Especially since Orcrist is in a room with a 55 gallon fish tank. Thank you - I love that sword. It may not be the $$$$ WETA version, but I love it just the same. I still *might* get the sheathe, just wish there were more reviews so I could get a better idea if people are having unrealistic expectations at the price, or if someone dropped the ball at UC.

That kind of money could be put to some other swords that I like.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 25 2014, 11:01am

Post #14 of 21 (1530 views)
Shortcut
Just how it feels in hand Elendil [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

what makes you say it swings like an axe, is that something RA said?

...being so front loaded, weight-wise. Not easy to change direction with and 'cleaver' comes to mind! I give RA credit for using the hero one, especially to scale; it must be enormously heavy.
Compared to other swords that I have it has a very different feel both in overall weight and where the balance is.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2014, 4:12pm

Post #15 of 21 (1516 views)
Shortcut
Starting fencing classes have given me a new appreciation for RA and Viggo [In reply to] Can't Post

Using those heavy blades, especially blade-heavy ones, is tiring work!! My arm was sore for 3 days after practicing with a 40 inch blade. I think I need to borrow a shorter one....Laugh

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 25 2014, 5:21pm

Post #16 of 21 (1515 views)
Shortcut
40 inch blade (foil?)? Almost as tall as I am... [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a wide triangle of space to deal with too! Laugh Me and a 40 inch blade = somebody's gone and lost an eye. Or an ear.

Good for you though Rem! Its so much fun isn't it? My favorite longsword is 30 inches and it really should be 28, its just a shaaaaade too long for me - my eyes were bigger then my arm when I had it made.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 25 2014, 5:22pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2014, 6:55pm

Post #17 of 21 (1508 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was all they had to lend at the first class, but someone is digging out a few more appropriate sizes from their garage. Fortunately we only worked with it for an hour, after practicing footwork.

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 25 2014, 8:19pm

Post #18 of 21 (1516 views)
Shortcut
That's great, Rem! [In reply to] Can't Post

What style are you learning? Do you have a professional instructor?

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Mar 26 2014, 1:20am

Post #19 of 21 (1498 views)
Shortcut
Any decent training sword should emulate the dynamics of the real sword the training is relevant for so generally speaking even a correctly forward oriented sword should not be heavy when used, especially once it is moving. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It was all they had to lend at the first class, but someone is digging out a few more appropriate sizes from their garage. Fortunately we only worked with it for an hour, after practicing footwork.

So make sure whoever is training you has the right tools or the benefits of the training will be compromised.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Mar 26 2014, 1:22am)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2014, 2:24am

Post #20 of 21 (1496 views)
Shortcut
It was actually an SCA group [In reply to] Can't Post

Your profile linked me to their site, so you are partly responsible for my interest.

I am unsure what style they follow, we only worked on footwork and a few guards at the first class. The teacher is a retired instructor and there are several Olympic and historical reenactment fencers there, so there is a little variation. I think one person mentioned 'Da cappa' or something...., but I am unsure.

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 26 2014, 5:08am

Post #21 of 21 (1537 views)
Shortcut
Capo Ferro, maybe? [In reply to] Can't Post

SCA fencing instruction tends to be, "This is what works for me, so that's what I'll teach you." Pay attention to anyone who seems to know what he's doing, and learn what works for you. It takes time to develop your own style, but if you stick with it, you'll get there.

Footwork and guards are usually the first things newbies learn; you need them as a foundation before you can learn the "cool" stuff. Practice footwork at home so that it comes naturally when you take the field, and if you can watch yourself take different guards in a mirror, you'll get a better idea of the strengths and weaknesses of each guard.

Congratulations, Rembrethil, you have taken your first step into a larger world.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.