Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
General Thoughts on DoS

Riven Delve
Gondor

Mar 6, 7:28pm

Views: 831
Shortcut
General Thoughts on DoS Can't Post

Since it finally quit snowing around here for more than five minutes, I went to my local second-run theater for possibly my last big-screen viewing of DOS, and had a few thoughts jump out at me…

Is there some kind of connection between Bilbo fingering his ring and the “eye” symbol on the statue at the entrance of Mirkwood? (I mean, besides the connection we are supposed to make in our minds between his mysterious ring and Evil!) The drums in the score (which continue until Gandalf rides off) would suggest so, as would Gandalf’s sudden decision to go to the High Fells to see what the Necromancer is up to...

The Dwarves working together to fight the spiders for their mutual survival was an interesting contrast with Bilbo off on his own fighting the woodlouse creature for possession of the Ring (“Mine!”).

If Bilbo had thought out the barrels escape a bit more and been able to escape at the same time as they did, he would have bought them more time to escape because 1. they wouldn’t have had to wait for him at the bottom of the drop, and 2. Tauriel wouldn’t have seen the ramp closing and figured out how the Dwarves escaped quite so quickly, then warned the Elves at the far river gate to close it.

I noticed Ori punching an Orc at the water gate. Go, little dude! Cool

Once Kili gets the gate open again, some of the Dwarves, including Fili with Kili’s barrel, are able to hold up to wait for him. How do they escape the current?

I am more convinced than ever that Tauriel left the Elvenking’s halls when he told her to go, and not after his command that no one is to leave. I’m gathering this because the Elf who tells Legolas she’s gone says “she has not returned,” as if she’s been gone awhile, and as if he didn’t see her go in a fit of disobedient sulks but rather expected her to return. Legolas, however, seems to assume the worst. She doesn’t address the issue, saying only that she won’t return because she couldn’t live with herself if she did.

I noticed the many waterfalls in the background at the High Fells. Pretty.

I thought Radagast was really adorable in this movie—not so much in AUJ, IMO.

No one else in Thorin’s company (including Bilbo) objects to leaving Kili behind besides Fili.

Gandalf did not seem to expect that he’d be confronting a Sauron able to take a physical form, even though he knows “the Enemy” has been preparing for war…

If the Dwarves are so worried about the setting sun shining on the gray stone, why don’t they get out of the way of the sun so they’re not casting their shadows on it? Tongue

Fili doesn’t seem to ever complain—I noticed this when the others complain in Mirkwood, when Bilbo leads them into the Elven cellars, and when they get their “weapons” from Bard. He does get plenty of mileage out of nonverbals, though!

I love Thorin’s careful breathing as he stoops to pick up the key under his boot, as if it’s the most precious and fragile thing in the world…

It’s a nice transition between Smaug’s “no blade can pierce me” directly to Bard holding the Black Arrow. Blatant foreshadowing, anyone? Wink

Is Bolg going to bite Legolas’s neck during their fight? Maybe I’ve seen too many vampire movie trailers. Crazy

Nori has a couple of hero moments during the fight with Smaug when he rescues Thorin! Yay! Spread the glory around, I say.

Speaking of heroic, I hope Bombur will be rewarded with a solid gold cushion for his efforts at the bellows of the Dwarven forges. Ouch!! (Bomby, would you say battered Bombur has a bruised bum?) Laugh

It seems pretty certain to me that an envoy of Sauron has been in contact somehow with Smaug, since Smaug says “a darkness is coming,” just as does the Orc Thranduil kills.

I suppose we are meant to assume that anything that is reflected on someone’s face/in their eyes is a sign of greed…? The gold from the Dwarven statue is reflected not only in Smaug’s eyes but also on his face, which turns a bit golden. (See also Thrain, Thranduil.) Thorin gives the treasure a good look when he first gets inside the treasure hall, but I didn't notice any reflection at that point.

P.S. For some reason in this theater the 3D seemed to be inverted, as if the background was jumping out rather than the foreground. I don’t know much about the technical aspect of 3D—would that mean that the theater had the right/left camera mixed up or something? It was not that big a deal to simply turn my 3D glasses upside down and watch it that way since I was in the front of the theater and nobody could see just how geeky I probably looked. (Heck, I probably looked geeky without the glasses… Angelic)

"My chief objection to a quarrel is that it ends a good argument." --G.K. Chesterton

(This post was edited by Riven Delve on Mar 6, 7:36pm)

Subject User Time
General Thoughts on DoS Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 6, 7:28pm
    A few thoughts on your thoughts Kim Send a private message to Kim Mar 6, 8:14pm
        Let's "face" it-- Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 6, 8:39pm
            that mystical state when watching DOS Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Mar 6, 11:49pm
                DVD moments Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 7, 12:47pm
    DOS is finally opening at our cheap theater tomorrow Elarie Send a private message to Elarie Mar 6, 8:27pm
        About those Orcs... Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 6, 8:47pm
    You picked up wonderinglinguist Send a private message to wonderinglinguist Mar 6, 10:12pm
        Definitely! Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 7, 12:56pm
    PS. more dwarves in TABA - hope! Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Mar 8, 7:21pm
        Oh, I really hope this is true Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 9, 5:46pm
    I've got some great Geeky Observations from this thread for our lists. Thanks! // grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 18, 4:28pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.