Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Anyone ready for a Bofur... Appreciation Thread?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 6 2014, 7:27pm

Post #1 of 19 (547 views)
Shortcut
Anyone ready for a Bofur... Appreciation Thread? Can't Post

Jimmy Nesbit's casting was Brillant.

He is so likable with his Accent.
His ability to Sing was a real find.
His Extroverted Character was a Major asset.

Of the Dwarves he is listed pretty high in the Credits.
So assuming he is one of the 5 most developed characters:
Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Kili..Then Bofur...

Being the Brother of Bifur & Bombur
he has enough Personality for the Three of them?

Yea! Bifur
A FAN Favorite?

Bomby

FoFo64
Rivendell

Mar 6 2014, 8:46pm

Post #2 of 19 (313 views)
Shortcut
I love Bofur! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah I truly love Bofur! From the first moment I saw AUJ and heard his heartfelt pep-talk to Bilbo on the Misty Mountains! It broke my heart when Bilbo shouted in frustration "You don't belong anywhere!" You can tell he really cares for and admires Bilbo, and along with Balin is Bilbo's staunch supporter.

Can't wait to see his interactions with Bilbo and Thorin once disagreements start to set in in TABA.

I always look forward to seeing more of Bofur. Here's to hoping DOS's EE will include the missing Laketown dinner scene, so that we can experience more of rowdy singing Bofur lol.

'It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing...such a little thing...' Boromir; Fellowship of the Ring Film

Thyia
Bree

Mar 6 2014, 8:49pm

Post #3 of 19 (306 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll jump on the Bofur appreciation bandwagon! As much as I adore Balin, Bofur has become my favorite of the dwarves. Perfect casting. Funny. Sweet. The scene with him and Bilbo in the caves in AUJ is one of my very favorites. And if I thought his hat would work for me, I'd certainly get one.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2014, 9:01pm

Post #4 of 19 (295 views)
Shortcut
Squeeee! I love Bofur! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's my most favorite dwarf ever! I love his impish smile and the lovely sparkle in his eye. I also have a strong connection to my Irish ancestry so I'm a total sucker for the accent. The scene where he sings and dances on the table at Rivendell is one of my favorite scenes in the AUJ EE. He's the eternal optimist of the company and I think it's so sweet the way he always looks out for Bilbo.

Yay Bofur!HeartLaughHeart

"So fare thee well, my own true love
I'll think of you night and day
A place in my mind, you will surely find
Although I am so far away
And when I'm alone, far away from home
I'll think of the good times once more
Until I can make it back someday here
To Paddy's green shamrock shore"
--The High Kings

Meneldor
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2014, 11:48pm

Post #5 of 19 (258 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to see more Bofur [In reply to] Can't Post

in DOS EE. The cave talk with Bilbo was a highlight of AUJ and we need more of that kind of character interaction.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Avandel
Valinor

Mar 7 2014, 12:03am

Post #6 of 19 (267 views)
Shortcut
more casting genius [In reply to] Can't Post

can't believe they even cut Bofur's song, that's a great moment in the film *sigh*. That scene of Bofur asking the princes if they missed the boat too, and the look on Bofur's face when he sees Kili is wounded at the river. (I think Bofur is the one who realized that Bard would be willing to help, ironically, if no-one else would, tho of course that is never shown). The caring in Bofur just shines through his eyes, and his voice harmonizes beautifully in the Misty Mountains song.

Plus I always enjoyed Bofur bringing that huge hammer? of his down on the troll foot. Jimmy Nesbitt cracks me up even watching the blogs. More heartache I am sure just watching Bofur in TABA - but, these are great threads, as each dwarf get talked about it brings home just how great the casting is and how each dwarf contributed so much to the films, and that they would be so much less without them. Love these guys!

Nira
Lorien

Mar 7 2014, 2:08am

Post #7 of 19 (250 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

He is my favorite dwarf (in the movies). He has the best comedic persona, and he can sing! Brilliant casting once again.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Starglass
Rivendell

Mar 7 2014, 2:21am

Post #8 of 19 (248 views)
Shortcut
Let's have some love for Bofur! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's great. I actually was wondering if there was a thread like this for Bofur back in the archives from before I joined so thanks for making one Bomby!

He made me smile from the start. The way he casually says "Oh, that would be a reference to Smaug..." in response to Bilbo's concern over the word "beast" gets me every time! And then instead of just being a comic relief dwarf we get to see his softer side. I'm hoping he gets even more moments in the next installment.

Annatar598
Rohan

Mar 7 2014, 3:15am

Post #9 of 19 (252 views)
Shortcut
Another example of "casting genius" as someone her put it [In reply to] Can't Post

Jimmy Nesbit is such a likeable personality.

I love love love watching the three B's interact with each other in these movies in the background.

There's a scene in TABA (source: interview with MF) where Bilbo has the Arkenstone and is trying to get past Bofur... Quite excited for it!

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 7 2014, 3:21am

Post #10 of 19 (252 views)
Shortcut
Lets not forget the Tin Whistle @ BagEnd... [In reply to] Can't Post

There wasn't much rooom for any other
Muscial intruments, so having
someone play that along with
"Blunt the Knives" was another
Brillant Homage to Tolkien.

Bomby is holding out with the
Theory we will see an additional
Song @ Beorn's Lodge?

WE got two new song in the EE of AUJ
so why Not? "The Wind on the Withered Heath"
sitting on the floor in front of Beorn's fireplace.

The light low w/ Beorn & Gandalf sitting off to the side,
exchanging Glances as Beorn decides to Help them.

Sorta a"Misty Mountains" tune
part two? We all pretty much agree
that Beorn's visit needs to be fleshed out
so lets hope there is another Song there.

Maybe another Dwarve leads the song...Maybe Bofur?

Bomby loves the Tolkien songs. Heart

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2014, 3:39am

Post #11 of 19 (238 views)
Shortcut
Love Bofur! [In reply to] Can't Post

Jimmy Nesbitt's Bofur and Ken Stott's Balin are my favs. I love how PJ took Bofur and made him work so well with Freeman's Bilbo. I too cannot wait for that scene.

I really hope it's Bofur that finds Bilbo after the Bot5A and brings him back to the tent where Thorin is. I think that would be sweet.

And I know the Arkenstone scene there on the wall is goingto be great and when Bilbo is banished by Thorin I can't wait to see Bofur and his reaction. I know he will be conflicted. It will be great.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2014, 12:37pm

Post #12 of 19 (222 views)
Shortcut
My favorite thing about Bofur [In reply to] Can't Post

(besides that delightful twinkle in his eye) is how he has a soft spot for Bilbo. In AUJ, he's the first to notice he's missing after the Stone Giants incident, and he seems very relieved when Bilbo shows up after the Goblin caves. And, of course, the cave conversation with Bilbo is lovely. In DoS, he's the one who says to Thorin as they're being led away by the Elves, "Where's Bilbo?" (And Bilbo also says at the dock in Laketown, "You do know we're one Dwarf short--where's Bofur?")

In convinced in the movie-verse that Bofur is older than Bombur. He just has that big-brother thing going in AUJ at Trollshaws when he give Bombur a whack for sneaking food and says, "Stop it. You've had plenty!" Wink

"My chief objection to a quarrel is that it ends a good argument." --G.K. Chesterton

tolktolk
Lorien

Mar 7 2014, 3:44pm

Post #13 of 19 (186 views)
Shortcut
They're being reunited! [In reply to] Can't Post

They are my favourites as well, and they are being reunited in a new TV series called The Missing, which stars Jimmy Nesbitt and also features Ken Scott.

http://www.radiotimes.com/...c1-drama-the-missing

It's nice to see lots of the actors going on to interesting new projects.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Mar 7 2014, 6:27pm

Post #14 of 19 (181 views)
Shortcut
By my beard [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that the time?!?!

Bofur is awesome!

kilifili
The Shire

Mar 7 2014, 7:20pm

Post #15 of 19 (170 views)
Shortcut
Love him [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, I really love Jimmy Nesbitts Bofur, a brilliant cast! He is adorable and touching. I love how he brings humanity to the movie with just really short dialogue - the cave scene, his face when he realizes Kili is injured, his door conversation with Bard... I simply love him and would be so happy to see more Bofur moments in TABA. Plus, "The man in the moon" is really great. Is it true, Jimmy Nesbitt wrote the song himself?
By my beard, I really like him!

"Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I am afraid and he gives me courage"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 7 2014, 7:23pm

Post #16 of 19 (149 views)
Shortcut
Unless itzz a Typo?... Ken Scott is not Ken STOTT?// [In reply to] Can't Post

tolktolk
Lorien

Mar 7 2014, 9:12pm

Post #17 of 19 (137 views)
Shortcut
Oops Bomby you are right [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I got a bit over enthusiastic and read the name wrong!

Just looked up what Ken Stott has been doing and he's been working alongside Simon Pegg on a romantic comedy called Man Up, which could be a lot of fun.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2014, 9:21pm

Post #18 of 19 (143 views)
Shortcut
I assume this means... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There's a scene in TABA (source: interview with MF) where Bilbo has the Arkenstone and is trying to get past Bofur... Quite excited for it!

So, I'm assuming this means that on the night when Bilbo is trying to sneak out of the mountain with the Arkenstone to give it to Thranduil, Bombur is getting replaced by Bofur as the watchman. I guess it makes sense since Bombur hasn't had any lines up to this point, and Bilbo and Bofur have better chemistry.

"So fare thee well, my own true love
I'll think of you night and day
A place in my mind, you will surely find
Although I am so far away
And when I'm alone, far away from home
I'll think of the good times once more
Until I can make it back someday here
To Paddy's green shamrock shore"
--The High Kings

Elarie
Rohan

Mar 9 2014, 2:11am

Post #19 of 19 (106 views)
Shortcut
In the appendices of AUJ EE... [In reply to] Can't Post

James Nesbitt tells the story of how he came to write the music for that song, after the writers gave him the words and rather casually asked him if he thought he could come up with some music for it, on very short notice. It's just amazing to me how multi-talented these people are!

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.