The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
UT Discussion: The Quest of Erebor

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 4 2014, 9:05pm

Post #1 of 19 (1718 views)
Shortcut
UT Discussion: The Quest of Erebor Can't Post

Apologies for the tardiness! I hope you enjoy this chapter, as I really love the insights to the bridging between TH and LOTR (and the Sil) that seem to be evolving in this UT.

I feel like what we have in this UT is similar in feel to the changes in the revised Hobbit: the fell power of the Ring, even early on; and the imminent danger of Gollum. An interesting site compares Riddles in the Dark side by side: Riddles Side by Side

Do you think this UT chapter fits in with the general cut-and-paste voice of the revised TH? Is it an effective intermediary, or so much closer to LOTR's voice that it is not a true bridge?

Continuing the question on a personal level, as readers and scholars, how well do you think JRRT achieved success or not in meshing of the tales? I ask on both levels, as I wonder if the answers may not be the same depending on the perspective.

This UT was intended for the Appendices, but deemed too long. Within in we get much more serious political ideas, much of it related to the White Council: the interference of Saruman, Gandalf's passive resistance, the need to act against Dol Goldur and for the Council to see this. We have mention of the Council in FOTR (via Galadriel) and the chapter in the Silmarillion (Rings of Power and the Third Age) in which more detail is given. As CT said in The Treason of Isengard, after quoting a passage originally written for the Council of Elrond scene in LOTR:

"It will be found that in this passage are the bones of a part of the narrative of the separate work 'Of Rings of Power and the Third Age', which was published in The Silmarillion...In the later development of 'The Council of Elrond' the chapter became the vehicle of a far fuller account of the early Numenorean kingdoms in Middle-earth, and much of this is now found not in The Lord of the Rings but in 'Of Rings of Power and the Third Age'. " (From Arda Reconstructed, p. 248)

The Council of Elrond has a very useful expositionary role. This Council too, seems to have grown to fill a role . Could we say one of the most important idea and tonal revisions connecting TH and LOTR was the development of this world-changing Council as a political vehicle?

The Knowledge of Gandalf: he mentions early in the UT that, "I did no more than follow the lead of 'chance', and made many mistakes along the way." The lack of foreknowledge both of Thrain's identity and of the real provenance of the Map and Key. The omitted passage in which Gandalf responds to Gimli's inquiry about how much foreknowledge he had in weaving the web; here Gandalf identifies himself as Olorin from the West, and re-states the idea from LOTR that Bilbo was 'meant' to find the Ring, Frodo was 'meant' to be its bearer and Gandalf was 'meant' to guide him. More bridging here; but it seems perhaps more to the Silmarillion and its pantheon, its reference to the divine cosmology, more than an LOTR connect?

An important part of this UT concerns the rationales for the inclusion of Bilbo: in the TH text, an excellent fit with the whimsical tone. As the LOTR bridge, not so much! A choice that does not seem to 'make sense'. Yet with the tone of distantly active divinity and the origins of Gandalf/Olorin, seeming a better fit?

The conflict due to the changes in Bilbo - unforeseen by Gandalf and that lead to the debate between Gandalf and Thorin in Bag End. Reiterating the idea that Gandalf lacks clear foreknowledge and divine direction? What other purpose do you see for that verbal sparring match between Gandalf and Thorin, set up with the changes in Bilbo, the fussy bachelor Hobbit?

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room April, 2014. *The Call for Submissions is up*!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 4 2014, 9:14pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 5 2014, 12:13am

Post #2 of 19 (1564 views)
Shortcut
The Quest of Erebor [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I think that we have to consider the abbreviated version found at the end of Appendix A of LotR to be the final version of the tale of Thorin and Gandalf's first meeting. At least where differences between the variants can be found. The versions in Unfinished Tales and The Annotated Hobbit benefit from being told from Gandalf's perspective and include much detail that was ommited from the short version.

The more dry version of Appendix A is probably more in-line with LotR, being far less chatty. This really does seem more like Gandalf of The Hobbit, by comparison. Both versions are effective, in their ways.

The tonal differences and intended audiences for TH versus LotR means that there will always be some apparent discontinuities between the two works. "The Quest of Erebor" does smooth over some of those.

In Tolkien's Council, Elrond was much more supportive of Gandalf than he was in the film version. This is especially evident in AUJ. I think that most of the politicking consisted of internal strife within the White Council.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 5 2014, 12:18am)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 5 2014, 9:00pm

Post #3 of 19 (1525 views)
Shortcut
Global politics and predestination [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a nice approach to look at this 'tale' as patching The Hobbit into both LOTR and SIlmarillion. Tolkien tries this in 2 ways:

1) Giving Gandalf geo-political reasons for helping the dwarves and Bilbo with their quest
2) Elaborating on Bilbo being 'meant to find the Ring'

Its amusing to think that not only are Bilbo and the Dwarves completely unaware of these agendas, but to a large extent, so was Tolkien himself when he wrote The Hobbit!

The geo-politics works well for me: I can imagine Gandalf pondering an alliance between Sauron and Smaug, and the general under-preparedness of the North. It seems reasonable that this didn't come up in TH: Bilbo is too naive an adventurer, and the dwarves are too busy with their parochial concerns. It's no to so much that Gandalf manipulates them - it's more that their wishes and concerns happen to dovetail into his wider cares.

I'm less comfortable with the predestination side of things. If everyone is a piece in a divine game plan, a lot of the drama goes out of LOTR - see, they were never really in danger, Eru would have fixed it somehow anyway... A second problem is that Gandalf has to know (or 'feel in his heart' ) enough but not too much, and not too soon. He has to be perilously slow on the uptake about what Bilbo's Ring really is and how dangerous it is, what should be done with it. Otherwise, he should have got an expedition to Mt Doom going much earlier. But, there's a converse problem - the Wizards are the Valar's key Anti-Sauron force. If they are made to operate too much in the dark, doesn't that become problematic too? It could start to look like a crazily over-elaborate plan (or a rather mean trick to dump your Special Advisors into Middle-earth with such poor instructions)! So it's a delicate balance - one which I'm left feeling has not quite been pulled off here, though I'm struggling to say quite what is amiss.

Perhaps I would prefer to have Gandalf more pleased with himself about his geo-political cleverness, but more rueful that he was caught on the hop by the Ring.

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 6 2014, 10:32pm

Post #4 of 19 (1492 views)
Shortcut
All excellent points O-S [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well, I think that we have to consider the abbreviated version found at the end of Appendix A of LotR to be the final version of the tale of Thorin and Gandalf's first meeting. At least where differences between the variants can be found. The versions in Unfinished Tales and The Annotated Hobbit benefit from being told from Gandalf's perspective and include much detail that was ommited from the short version.

The more dry version of Appendix A is probably more in-line with LotR, being far less chatty. This really does seem more like Gandalf of The Hobbit, by comparison. Both versions are effective, in their ways.

The tonal differences and intended audiences for TH versus LotR means that there will always be some apparent discontinuities between the two works. "The Quest of Erebor" does smooth over some of those.

In Tolkien's Council, Elrond was much more supportive of Gandalf than he was in the film version. This is especially evident in AUJ. I think that most of the politicking consisted of internal strife within the White Council.

I like in particular your statement that QoE does smooth some of the tonal changes: the two Gandalfs, so to speak, get representation; yet the work more aligned to its particular parent volume got included in the LOTR Appendices. Maybe its because I am a DM and invent stories and spin-offs on the fly, but I do have an appreciation for the morphing work that JRRT did here - notwithstanding the narrative voice: which I think is ultimately irreconcilable in a casual way. I tend to think that ultimately the narrator just has to be seen as different: the avuncular storyteller in TH is not the same narrator as the sometimes enigmatic voice in LOTR.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room April, 2014. *The Call for Submissions is up*!

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 6 2014, 10:42pm

Post #5 of 19 (1489 views)
Shortcut
Predestination...? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think it's a nice approach to look at this 'tale' as patching The Hobbit into both LOTR and SIlmarillion. Tolkien tries this in 2 ways:

1) Giving Gandalf geo-political reasons for helping the dwarves and Bilbo with their quest
2) Elaborating on Bilbo being 'meant to find the Ring'

Its amusing to think that not only are Bilbo and the Dwarves completely unaware of these agendas, but to a large extent, so was Tolkien himself when he wrote The Hobbit!

The geo-politics works well for me: I can imagine Gandalf pondering an alliance between Sauron and Smaug, and the general under-preparedness of the North. It seems reasonable that this didn't come up in TH: Bilbo is too naive an adventurer, and the dwarves are too busy with their parochial concerns. It's no to so much that Gandalf manipulates them - it's more that their wishes and concerns happen to dovetail into his wider cares.

Your piece on Narrative Voices is a great basis for thought here: the two contrasting voices in TH and LOTR are consistent with the proportion and reveal of political and deeper undertone I think...the jaunty TH narrator, taking breaks and addressing the reader, is not the voice in which the world politics are told: especially helpful as the author had not invented them yet! Laugh

I'm less comfortable with the predestination side of things. If everyone is a piece in a divine game plan, a lot of the drama goes out of LOTR - see, they were never really in danger, Eru would have fixed it somehow anyway... A second problem is that Gandalf has to know (or 'feel in his heart' ) enough but not too much, and not too soon. He has to be perilously slow on the uptake about what Bilbo's Ring really is and how dangerous it is, what should be done with it. Otherwise, he should have got an expedition to Mt Doom going much earlier. But, there's a converse problem - the Wizards are the Valar's key Anti-Sauron force. If they are made to operate too much in the dark, doesn't that become problematic too? It could start to look like a crazily over-elaborate plan (or a rather mean trick to dump your Special Advisors into Middle-earth with such poor instructions)! So it's a delicate balance - one which I'm left feeling has not quite been pulled off here, though I'm struggling to say quite what is amiss. Perhaps I would prefer to have Gandalf more pleased with himself about his geo-political cleverness, but more rueful that he was caught on the hop by the Ring.
This concern relates back to the free will bit I think...Gandalf does seem to take it all as a near shave: saying the Queen in Gondor (and the victory she represents) could not have happened without a chance meeting near Bree. So a smatter of not as much presdestination as undiscerned foreknowledge on part of Gandalf/Olorin? So much does depend on that sense of Gandalf's: like the holding of the map and Key without knowledge of their value until the most opportune moment (thank you, Jack Sparrow). Of course like Saruman Gandalf had choices to make...he just seems to have made the right ones. Saruman in the same shoes: an odd key from a grubby beggar - perhaps cast aside with disdain; and then dragonfire in the War of the Ring?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 9 2014, 2:45pm

Post #6 of 19 (1476 views)
Shortcut
Of bachelors and burglars [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for leading this chapter, Brethil!

This is a great chapter for getting more insight into both LOTR and TH. I like the idea of everyone living in a big house in Minas Tirith after Aragorn's coronation and Gandalf telling old stories to satisfy their curiosity. How many of us would jump at the chance to be there and ask our own questions?

It seems to me that LOTR and TH need many bridges between them once you start looking at them. For one thing, The Hobbit is a fun tale at a brisk pace that doesn't stand up to lots of analysis like LOTR does. It doesn't make much sense that Thorin takes Bilbo on the quest with them: he's not a Dwarf, he's too tame, and what exactly is a burglar supposed to do, steal one gold cup at a time from Smaug and hope he doesn't notice his treasure mound is disappearing? Why would Thorin even agree to give Bilbo 1/14th share of all the enormous loot?

It's better not to ask those questions, but Tolkien apparently recognized them and tried to address them in the writings in this chapter. It turns out Gandalf had a strong intuition about Bilbo and also knew how to manipulate Dwarves, hence Bilbo was accepted on the quest.

And it's nice to have Tolkien say explicitly what many of us read into LOTR about fate and presumably the hand of Eru:

"Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, and not by its maker and you therefore were meant to bear it. And I might have added: and I was meant to guide you both to those points."

It's revealing that Gandalf includes himself in the arc of fate in this statement, as if he's an instrument, and not the prime mover. As you say, he lacks clear divine direction and is groping his way as an Istar. That one statement connects The Sil, TH, and LOTR very nicely.

Another big reveal I like in this chapter is the racial perspective:

"As far as [Thorin] was concerned [hobbits] were just food-growers who happened to work the fields on either side of the Dwarves' ancestral road to the Mountains."

I have to wonder as a reader how the hobbits go unnoticed by the big players in M-earth when they do clutter up a significant part of a major highway. Thorin's view helps explain that.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 9 2014, 3:08pm

Post #7 of 19 (1467 views)
Shortcut
Fate vs choice [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a tricky balance, isn't it, Precious? Oh, wait, wrong narrative voice.

Anyway, I agree with Wiz that if everything is "meant" to happen, then it's like hitting the Play button on a simple animation and watching it work: interesting, but not suspenseful since the outcome will always be the same.

But you bring up choices, Brethil, and I wonder how much that tempers the "Eru-designed animation." How far do we take these meant's? Were Deagol and Smeagol meant to find it too? I suspect they were, and Smeagol made some pretty bad choices according to his nature. Bilbo could have killed Smeagol when he had the chance, and there would be some karmic justice in that since Smeagol had killed Deagol over the Ring, but he chose otherwise. What if he had killed Smeagol and then continued on his quest--would he have become more Gollum-like as a Ring-bearer over time? Would he have become an outcast, or maybe a reclusive old man holed up in Bag Eng the way Gollum was in the mountains, never adopting Frodo as his heir? (Or maybe eating him if he paid a social visit.)

I think it's significant that Frodo chooses to give up the Ring at least twice (to Gandalf and Galadriel). Yes, he would have found it harder to do than to say, but for someone who's selected by fate to walk the Ring from Bag Eng to Mt. Doom, he didn't seem to wholly buy into that role.

Then there's the question of hobbits, scorned by Thorin as roadside food-sellers. Was Gandalf attracted to them for their own merits, or because his intuition told him they had a role to play in his grand mission? It's tempting to say the latter, but I lean toward the former. I think he just plain liked them.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 9 2014, 3:20pm

Post #8 of 19 (1463 views)
Shortcut
Elrond and Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, the movies take a profoundly different view of that relationship, don't they? My sense throughout LOTR and The Sil's chapter on The Rings of Power is that Elrond and Gandalf are very like-minded and are close friends, not people with a lot of tension between them. If they disagree, which they do about whether Merry & Pippin should join the Fellowship or not, it's without rancor. I think Saruman was the only difficult person in the White Council.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 9 2014, 3:30pm

Post #9 of 19 (1460 views)
Shortcut
The problem here with the films [In reply to] Can't Post

We only see the core of the White Council. Saruman needs to be shown to have some support, so Elrond is the one who is left to provide it. With a larger Council, things might have looked different.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

sador
Half-elven

Mar 9 2014, 5:31pm

Post #10 of 19 (1463 views)
Shortcut
As a rule, this chapter is not one of my favourites. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think trying to portray Gandalf as a master-strategist breaks too far from the tone of The Hobbit, as well as making him look really a great dunderhead for not preceiving the Ring's importance, and Saruman's treachery, for over seventy years. He also seems a warmongerer (especially if we remember his statement in LotR that whatever victory the Council has achieved, it was by Saruman's efforts - so he was mostly trying to embroil his superiors in a war against their judgement), and a ruthless user of his inferiors as tools - remember Saruman's last denounciation of his former subordinate?

So no, I don't like this chapter much; and I think even with the benefit of hindsight Gandalf's statement that Sauron would have done better to assail Rivendell and Lorien makes no sense. So there would be no Queen in Gondor; and what then? Was there any prophecy regarding her, or was Arwen absolutely crucial for the World of Men to be free, more important than Gondor and Rohan's physical survival? Maybe; but I'm not aware of Tolkien explaining this anywhere.

And one answer:
Reiterating the idea that Gandalf lacks clear foreknowledge and divine direction? What other purpose do you see for that verbal sparring match between Gandalf and Thorin, set up with the changes in Bilbo, the fussy bachelor Hobbit?
Well Gandalf has divine direction; it's just subconcious.
But in The Hobbit, the dwarves are somewhat ridiculous; fancy setting out on such a trip unarmed, and without any plan (until Gandalf remembers the map)! Thorin's concerns here reflect his having evolved to a grand, heroic character. So the only ridiculous character is Bilbo.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 9 2014, 6:27pm

Post #11 of 19 (1460 views)
Shortcut
Arwen vs. Eriador [In reply to] Can't Post

My own interpretation isn't that Arwen was the prize to save in the War of the Ring and that Gandalf was just using her as an example of one of the things that would be different if Sauron had conquered Eriador. There would be no Rivendell, no Shire, no Bree, and who knows, maybe no Grey Havens either if Sauron hadn't been stopped in the north. Though Thranduil isn't really taken into account in this version of things. His realm would have been there with or without Erebor's and Dale's resurrections, but I'm sure he wouldn't have been enough to stand alone. I'd guess he brought up Arwen because she was new and fresh and on everyone's minds as the recently coronated wife of Aragorn.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 11 2014, 12:00pm

Post #12 of 19 (1459 views)
Shortcut
Watdh that language! [In reply to] Can't Post

Was anyone else troubled by "Tolkien in the rough" in this chapter?

I found Gandalf's dialogue to Thorin to be exceedingly clunky: "A foresight is upon me..." and Thorin's reply echoed Bored of the Rings, telling Gandalf he may be right "or merely crazed."

What seemed truly peculiar was Thorin's criticism of Bilbo about being too soft: "His mother died too soon." I tried to think of any Tolkien characters getting that personal in their criticism in any of his published works, and couldn't think of anything. "Saruman, you were molested as a child. Denethor, your dead wife was an ugly harlot." Normally the invective is less a punch in the stomach than that. Didn't Tolkien's own mother "die too soon?" Is that something mean little kids said to him at school?

sador
Half-elven

Mar 11 2014, 1:15pm

Post #13 of 19 (1421 views)
Shortcut
But that's my point. [In reply to] Can't Post

Rivendell, Lorien and the Havens are no longer very important, as they are on the way to fading. And obviously, the hobbits prefer the survival of the Shire and Bree to that of Gondor and Rohan - but are they really crucial?
I agree, had Sauron known that both the Heir of Isildur and the One Ring were hidden in the North, he would have got around Gondor and siezed the North; but he needed to conquer the world of Men, and could count on the Elves to flee of their own accord. Recall Galdor's words at the Council of Elrond, which express the great fear that Sauron would conquer the Havens, and hereafter the elves may have no escape from the lengthening shadows of Middle-earth”. Obviously, for the elves this option is more important than the survival of the Free Peoples, but precisely for the same reason Sauron can leave the Havens alone. It is dismaying to find Gandalf an adherent of the same elvish agenda.

As a grand strategy - of course, once Sauron had swept the Nortrh he could have descended upon Gondor from another direction, but this enterprise was both unnecessary and considerably more difficult - being so far from most of his allies' homelands (with the exception of the orcs of the Misty Mountains, which still existed as a force). Gandalf's estimate here is clearly based on both hindsight and the assumption that Sauron's strategy is to annihilate the things Gandalf himself holds precious.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 11 2014, 1:47pm

Post #14 of 19 (1419 views)
Shortcut
That's very human-centric of you, lol. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think all those places are important to the people who live there regardless of their race, hence they're important to Gandalf for sentimental reasons if not strategic ones.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 11 2014, 3:07pm

Post #15 of 19 (1424 views)
Shortcut
It makes sense to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What seemed truly peculiar was Thorin's criticism of Bilbo about being too soft: "His mother died too soon." I tried to think of any Tolkien characters getting that personal in their criticism in any of his published works, and couldn't think of anything. "Saruman, you were molested as a child. Denethor, your dead wife was an ugly harlot." Normally the invective is less a punch in the stomach than that. Didn't Tolkien's own mother "die too soon?" Is that something mean little kids said to him at school?

Doubtless, in attempting to sell Bilbo's value to Thorin, Gandalf brought up the adventurous streak in Belladonna Baggins (nee Took) and her two sisters (Bilbo's aunts). Thorin's statement is still curious considering that Bilbo's mother didn't pass away until he was in his mid-40s and she outlived her husband by eight years. Perhaps Thorin is just assuming that she died young.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 11 2014, 7:30pm

Post #16 of 19 (1408 views)
Shortcut
Most welcome, CG! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thanks for leading this chapter, Brethil! Angelic (Thanks for popping in!)

This is a great chapter for getting more insight into both LOTR and TH. I like the idea of everyone living in a big house in Minas Tirith after Aragorn's coronation and Gandalf telling old stories to satisfy their curiosity. How many of us would jump at the chance to be there and ask our own questions? How true! In that sense it is a lovely picture, a continuance of eucatastrophe in the sweetest sense: the enjoyment of the rewards among friends. Gandalf presumably does the same with Tom Bombadil as well...

It seems to me that LOTR and TH need many bridges between them once you start looking at them. For one thing, The Hobbit is a fun tale at a brisk pace that doesn't stand up to lots of analysis like LOTR does. It doesn't make much sense that Thorin takes Bilbo on the quest with them: he's not a Dwarf, he's too tame, and what exactly is a burglar supposed to do, steal one gold cup at a time from Smaug and hope he doesn't notice his treasure mound is disappearing? Why would Thorin even agree to give Bilbo 1/14th share of all the enormous loot? Very much agreed here. The initial conceit of TH is in its voice I think: the need for a Burglar, and the choice of the unlikely Bilbo and the poetical '1/14 Share' is never explained because it doesn't need to be. Only later, after its inclusion with the larger world does it suddenly stick out like a sore thumb! In which case the background of the Divine as crafted in the Sil suddenly becomes a very useful stage-cloth to run up the ropes.

And it's nice to have Tolkien say explicitly what many of us read into LOTR about fate and presumably the hand of Eru:

"Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, and not by its maker and you therefore were meant to bear it. And I might have added: and I was meant to guide you both to those points."

It's revealing that Gandalf includes himself in the arc of fate in this statement, as if he's an instrument, and not the prime mover. As you say, he lacks clear divine direction and is groping his way as an Istar. That one statement connects The Sil, TH, and LOTR very nicely. The hand of Eru, and/or the Valar. Yes a nice bit of very useful text; in that way this tale does yeoman's service is uniting TH and actually using it as a bridge from old to new. JRRT wrote how the perspectives changed through time (Elvish to Hobbitish/Mannish) on a continuum - and this feels like a mix of Elvish tone (including archaic knowledge) while describing Hobbitish events. A unique bit of telescoping on JRRT's part maybe?

Another big reveal I like in this chapter is the racial perspective:

"As far as [Thorin] was concerned [hobbits] were just food-growers who happened to work the fields on either side of the Dwarves' ancestral road to the Mountains."

I have to wonder as a reader how the hobbits go unnoticed by the big players in M-earth when they do clutter up a significant part of a major highway. Thorin's view helps explain that. That's a good point: we discuss in your next chapter on how even Khamul (a local) didn't seem to know about the Shire. The concept of mere size and quietness can't seem to explain the hidden nature of the Hobbit-world: instead, are they the noticed yet disregarded little people, because of their perceived lack of usefulness in dynastic ambitions by the people travelling by: Dwarves ousted and eyes only for Erebor, Nazgul who disregard any but the perceived strongest and corruptible? In which case the humbleness of Gandalf seems to be highlighted here, even in the negative, for recognizing their worth even if not in any present or applicable sense to him.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 11 2014, 7:33pm

Post #17 of 19 (1410 views)
Shortcut
"Rough" around the edges [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Was anyone else troubled by "Tolkien in the rough" in this chapter?

I found Gandalf's dialogue to Thorin to be exceedingly clunky: "A foresight is upon me..." and Thorin's reply echoed Bored of the Rings, telling Gandalf he may be right "or merely crazed."

That comment of Thorin's is a bit rough! But in character I think: it does seem a lob at what he perceives as the childish Bilbo. In a way, it would almost seem that his reply to Gandalf would be even more robust...bit of author censorship maybe! Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 11 2014, 7:41pm

Post #18 of 19 (1412 views)
Shortcut
The Queen and the oddness of Bilbo! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

So no, I don't like this chapter much; and I think even with the benefit of hindsight Gandalf's statement that Sauron would have done better to assail Rivendell and Lorien makes no sense. So there would be no Queen in Gondor; and what then? Was there any prophecy regarding her, or was Arwen absolutely crucial for the World of Men to be free, more important than Gondor and Rohan's physical survival? Maybe; but I'm not aware of Tolkien explaining this anywhere. I think that here it is the existence of the Queen in Gondor as a symbol, and not about Arwen herself: it means that House of Elendil has returned to the throne and that the kingdom has hope again in a growing line (unlike the older Kings, who turned instead towards the tombs and ancestor worship). But I have no text for this either, just my interpretation of what the Queen means, regardless of who she is.

And one answer:
Reiterating the idea that Gandalf lacks clear foreknowledge and divine direction? What other purpose do you see for that verbal sparring match between Gandalf and Thorin, set up with the changes in Bilbo, the fussy bachelor Hobbit?
Well Gandalf has divine direction; it's just subconcious.
But in The Hobbit, the dwarves are somewhat ridiculous; fancy setting out on such a trip unarmed, and without any plan (until Gandalf remembers the map)! Thorin's concerns here reflect his having evolved to a grand, heroic character. So the only ridiculous character is Bilbo.

Yes, quite true: an inevitable price, I think, of the maturing of TH as a tale to dovetail with LOTR and Sil! That initial concept of the bachelor Burglar, so fitting for a fairytale, takes a lot of explaining in the Big Grand Scheme! Exactly what I was feeling when I read this tale and though about how much it does neatly plot-fill; yet the very essential bit of Bilbo the Burglar can only be really repaired with the deus ex machina of the divinity and subconscious knowledge of Gandalf.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 11 2014, 7:41pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 12 2014, 2:42am

Post #19 of 19 (1418 views)
Shortcut
Long view of fate and choice [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That's a tricky balance, isn't it, Precious? Oh, wait, wrong narrative voice. It is tricksy precious. Laugh

Anyway, I agree with Wiz that if everything is "meant" to happen, then it's like hitting the Play button on a simple animation and watching it work: interesting, but not suspenseful since the outcome will always be the same.

But you bring up choices, Brethil, and I wonder how much that tempers the "Eru-designed animation." How far do we take these meant's? Were Deagol and Smeagol meant to find it too? I suspect they were, and Smeagol made some pretty bad choices according to his nature. Bilbo could have killed Smeagol when he had the chance, and there would be some karmic justice in that since Smeagol had killed Deagol over the Ring, but he chose otherwise. What if he had killed Smeagol and then continued on his quest--would he have become more Gollum-like as a Ring-bearer over time? Would he have become an outcast, or maybe a reclusive old man holed up in Bag Eng the way Gollum was in the mountains, never adopting Frodo as his heir? (Or maybe eating him if he paid a social visit.)

All-in-all the 'meant' idea seems to require an omniscient power that lives out of Time (as Terazed has given us wonderful insight on): we have both those conditions not entirely with the Valar but certainly with Eru. I think maybe The Outside of Time view - timeless giving the one-piece, tapestry view of events - allows that even with choices made within time adjustments can be made by the divine. Had Bilbo chosen 'poorly', since the view outside of time gives the longer and linear game view, another thing may have been 'meant' to happen? As with Ulmo, it could be a small, select and strategic bit of 'meant' that really packs a punch - but only IF you have the long view and know exactly just the right point to make a small change!

I think it's significant that Frodo chooses to give up the Ring at least twice (to Gandalf and Galadriel). Yes, he would have found it harder to do than to say, but for someone who's selected by fate to walk the Ring from Bag Eng to Mt. Doom, he didn't seem to wholly buy into that role. Its like that political ideal that those who seek power are the lest qualified for it (which I do think JRRT agreed with!) An inherent contradiction.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.