Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What is in a name? (Your screen name, that is.)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2008, 9:59pm

Post #51 of 236 (482 views)
Shortcut
You and Tehanu... // [In reply to] Can't Post

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2008, 10:04pm

Post #52 of 236 (506 views)
Shortcut
What a great reference. [In reply to] Can't Post

The story of fireweed reminds me of simblemyne (sp?) on the tombs of Rohan's kings.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 1 2008, 10:07pm

Post #53 of 236 (487 views)
Shortcut
Ohhhhhh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've wondered for years. That's a nice backstory for the nick of someone I've always admired. Thanks for the explanation!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 1 2008, 10:32pm

Post #54 of 236 (483 views)
Shortcut
It's also mentioned at least once [In reply to] Can't Post

in LOTR: in "The Old Forest" there's a mention of “fire-weed seeding into fluffy ashes”.

It might be in there more than once, but you know, I'm no NEB.

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"And we must all bring Provisions."
"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."
"Oh!" said Pooh happily. "I thought you said Provisions.
I'll go and tell them." And he stumped off.

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 1 2008, 10:34pm

Post #55 of 236 (487 views)
Shortcut
oh pshaw [In reply to] Can't Post

You make me blush.

Blush

a.s. (thanks!!)

"an seileachan"

"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."

Morrowdim
Rivendell

Feb 1 2008, 11:05pm

Post #56 of 236 (504 views)
Shortcut
Bring me back a rock. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is what I tell everyone going away on vacation when they ask, "Is there any souvenir you'd like me to bring home for you?"

Growing up, my mother was constantly chiding me about my rock collection. There was one rock in particular that I called my Pet Rock and I took it everywhere with me from the time I was 4 years old until I was about 7. (I think my mother finally found it and threw it away like she did so many of my other rocks.) But this one in particular was shaped like a Tootsie Roll. It was certainly larger, being about 4 inches long and having about a 1 inch diameter, but come on! It was a Tootsie Roll Rock! How could she NOT have seen how cool that was? It was even the right color. humph!

I continued to pick up rocks everywhere I went as I grew up. I got better at hiding my collection from my mother. I have gotten much better at staying hands-off in national parks. (I try to be good. Really I do.) I purposefully stay away from visiting an archaeologically significant site because that would just be disastrous. I love, love, love my rock, mineral, and fossil collection.

Now, after spending my entire childhood having to HIDE my rocks from my mother...who do you think has a huge collection of rocks and minerals all over her house? Yup, you guessed it. My mother. Two of my three younger brothers are now geologists, too. Somehow, about ten years after I got married, she suddenly developed the desire to start picking up rocks. Sure mom, wait until I'm almost 30 to start seeing the beauty in them.

On the bright side, I have trained all four of my own children (and corrupted my husband) to pick up rocks. When we had a new septic system installed, I refused to allow the excavation company to haul off MY truckloads of rocks. (At $55 a load, mind you.) Instead, we borrowed an old tractor with a front-end loader and a backhoe from a friend down the street and my husband scooped all the rocks and the little bit of dirt leftover and piled them in the back yard for me. The kids and I then spent the next three years deconstructing the pile. In it, I found all kinds of small gastropod fossils and a few ammonites. The largest limestone rocks probably weighed around 500 pounds. My sons and husband broke most of them up to rerock our driveway. (Gravel is not cheap and here we had free rocks just sitting there.) We've kept the last four or five of them to use in landscaping.

P.S. When you own an extensive rock collection and it's time to move...your helpful friends do not appreciate lifting heavy boxes (no matter how small) that are labeled "rocks." Tongue Party poopers!

Anarrima
The Shire

Feb 1 2008, 11:07pm

Post #57 of 236 (510 views)
Shortcut
stop it....you're making the kitten blush! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, I'll admit, I am a big fan of the kitty myself. If the files from my work computer are ever subpoenaed by some court, they are going to find it filled with cute kitten pictures (along with boring work-related stuff). I suppose it could be worse Wink

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 1 2008, 11:12pm

Post #58 of 236 (509 views)
Shortcut
Gosh, I have a rock dude too. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was about ten, we went on a three-mile hike and I hauled home a rock the size of my head. It had pretty sparkles, but it sure weighed a lot. I still have it. I have some very special rocks from places I've been (a piece of snowflake obsidian worn by the waves at Perce, Quebec, that I've always called my Starstone, is probably the most special.) And I buy rocks all the time, at a place called Dick's Rock Museum

It's a source of non-ending frustration to me that we're not allowed to pick up rocks at the place where I spend most of my outdoor time, Rocky Mountain National Park. I understand why, but it's still frustrating. Actually, sometimes I do pick up one and carry it on a hike and then leave it before I go home. I think that's allowed.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2008, 11:13pm

Post #59 of 236 (499 views)
Shortcut
Because I like the tale of Túrin [In reply to] Can't Post

And I wanted a Tolkien name, but not an obvious one. "Nienor" or "Níniel" were just too depressing, so I picked Morwen's own nickname. Plus, "Eledhwen" sounds vaguely Welsh, and I'm half-Welsh. It's been my internet nickname now for almost nine years and I'm terribly possesive about it; someone else registered "eledhwen" on LiveJournal before me and I'll still annoyed -particularly as she hasn't used the darned thing for over a year now!

The New Zealand Christmas tree, the pohutukawa; Wellington, December 2007

Pohutukawa

Morrowdim
Rivendell

Feb 1 2008, 11:16pm

Post #60 of 236 (501 views)
Shortcut
A Morrowdim by any other name... [In reply to] Can't Post

Would pretty much just be "Dawn."

Wherever I am, I try to use a nickname that is a form of my own name. In most places, I'm simply Rebekah S. I've used my husband's initials a time or two for places we both frequent. When I came here, I wanted something more Tolkien-related. I just couldn't see there being a true translation of Rebekah into any of Tolkien's languages. I resorted to my middle name. I figured if Undomiel meant "Evenstar" then there had to be an equivalent for Morningstar or morning. I did not really feel Elven enough to use Tindomiel, or more specifically timdomie (twilight of dawn). After a bit of searching around, I found that it was also called Morrowdim. Immediately, I knew it was "me." It suits me well enough that even my sons sometimes use Morrowdim when referring to me.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Post #61 of 236 (562 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

(heh, it's fun using that subject line for once!)

Back in the Elder Days - around 1970 - I was part of a group of nerdy geeks in high school. We'd do things like pass around notes written in Tengwar. We also had Tolkien-style nicknames. I was a very shy, quiet kid, who'd rather stay "hidden in the corner" - hence the "dern" - and we thought that "wyn" was a feminine ending. Hence, "dernwyn" - for over 35 years now!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Post #62 of 236 (501 views)
Shortcut
Neat story about the septic system rocks... [In reply to] Can't Post

That reminds me of a trip OhioHobbit and I took to visit his brother in California in 1999. I brought home lots of rocks on the airplane in my suitcase. The people running the x-ray checker never said a word -- this was before 9/11/2001, so they were not so concerned about what you carried on a plane.

One time when I went to visit my mother in southwestern Minnesota, I asked my uncle for pink quarts rocks from the farm. He seemed to tind that a little odd, but let me come out and pick some out of a pile he had dug out of a pond. I hauled about 200 pounds of rock 1000 miles home in a car .

Then I mailed rocks home from Oregon when my sister and I cleaned out my dad's house to sell after he died. You know, for some reason, it was expensive to mail!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Post #63 of 236 (498 views)
Shortcut
We save all our old keys. [In reply to] Can't Post

(My husband never throws anything away. Nor does my mother. There's a lot of junk in our houses, and a lot of amazing treasures too, like a daguerrotype of my great-great grandmother taken during the Civil War.)

Anyway, my favorite old key is one I brought home from a vacation we took to the coast. I have sea fever, but I only get to see the sea once every few decades. So when we rented the car in Oregon and made a backup key so our kids could unlock the doors, I saved the key and I imagine that it's a key into a magical world, which Oregon definitely was.

MsC
Bree

Feb 1 2008, 11:18pm

Post #64 of 236 (508 views)
Shortcut
Ms. C is what my students call me [In reply to] Can't Post

but it was also my father's nickname for me as a child - Missy. It was shortened from Miss Twoosy -a name I earned before I was born. Apparently, my mother was so large when she was carrying me there was some thought that I might be twins. They began to call her "Mama Twos" and then when I was born (at less than 7 lbs I hasten to add in my own defense) I became, by extension, Miss Twoosy. That eventually became just Missy. My real name is Kelly. Go figure.
A great thread by the way. I have often wondered about the nicks here.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2008, 12:14am

Post #65 of 236 (506 views)
Shortcut
Mine is very unique- I'm the only one who uses it! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I have yet to see another "Ainu Laire" on the face of the internet. Every Ainu Laire out there that I have come across is me. Many "Laire"s are also me. This fits my personality very well, for I am pretty sure I am the only person in the world with my name. An uncommon Finnish first name and a rarer Old Germanic last name don't often go together :D

Problem with potential stalkers? None so far, and it's been 4 years. But then again, I frequent LOTR message boards- not exactly known for creepy people ;)

ANYWAYS, why it's important, how I chose it, yada yada...

Weelll, it's Quenya. "Laire" is my name, Suvi, in Quenya. Suvi means summer. Summer in Q = Laire. I've been thinking about making Laire a second middle name, I love it so darn much.

Ainu is, of course, singular to Ainur, which the Valar/Maiar belong to. It's sorta the equivalent of angels, and when I created it I was sort of obsessed with them. So it fit.

That's the story of my Awesome Name XD

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 2 2008, 12:25am

Post #66 of 236 (492 views)
Shortcut
the Summer Angel, it fits you!! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"an seileachan"

"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."

SandWitch King
Rohan

Feb 2 2008, 12:34am

Post #67 of 236 (532 views)
Shortcut
Let us blame Foe Hammer of Gondolin [In reply to] Can't Post

In the LOTR movies there is a creature, a person really, called the "Witch King."

I added the "Sand" portion of my name to the front because I thought it was funny. Ha ha ha ha ha.

The Burger King icon fits because there is a King in it associated with food including sandWitches. (heh)

I blame Foe because he and I traded some punny LOTR / Middle-earth names. My favorite was Barrow Wong (as opposed to Barrow Wight) but I forgot it and Foe wasn't around to remind me of what it was so I had to settle for SandWitch King. I had no wight to forget wong, but I did.

There are many other such names in the arsenal but I am saving them for a wainy day I guess.

I wish my name was "Barrow Wong". Maybe I should change it. And now for my quote:

"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck."

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Feb 2 2008, 12:37am

Post #68 of 236 (475 views)
Shortcut
*impressed* {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Feb 2 2008, 12:58am

Post #69 of 236 (471 views)
Shortcut
I always thought it was from a fantasy book! {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

Tim
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2008, 1:03am

Post #70 of 236 (511 views)
Shortcut
Top secret [In reply to] Can't Post

In Aliens 2, the pilot (as all are descending towards the planet) says "we're in the pipe, five by five." I like the way she says it. I like what it means, things are lined up and A - OK.

So that's me. 5 by 5.

"Sir are you classified as human?"
"Negative! I am a meat popsicle!"

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2008, 1:15am

Post #71 of 236 (476 views)
Shortcut
Rock collections [In reply to] Can't Post

My grand-daughter did that on the trips we took when she was 6 and 7. Every place we stopped she found a rock of some sort. We wrote the name of the place on the rock with a marker or on a piece of tape that we stuck to the rock. She put all the rocks in cans and still takes them out every now and then to look at. (She's 13 now.)

As for my screen name -- read backwards.

Sev's home away from home: http://burpingtroll.com See what the residents of The Burping Troll were up to during Yule.. http://burpingtroll.com/vignettes.htm

Finally made it to Rivendell!!!!!!!!!

Annael
Immortal

Feb 2 2008, 1:28am

Post #72 of 236 (475 views)
Shortcut
ah [In reply to] Can't Post

I wondered.

I love your footer btw. One of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite movies.

.We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anais Nin
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Tim
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2008, 2:00am

Post #73 of 236 (468 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

You've got a cool screen name too, and a very thoughtful siggy. Smile

"Sir are you classified as human?"
"Negative! I am a meat popsicle!"

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 2 2008, 2:57am

Post #74 of 236 (480 views)
Shortcut
Named after a cat who was named after a fire lizard :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

It took me a long time to pluck up the courage to join TORn back in 1999, after lurking for months. When I decided to take the plunge, I decided to do it at once, before I could chicken out. So I had to think of a name quickly. I looked around the room, and my eyes lit on Kimi-cat, our Abyssinian , whom I'd named after a fire lizard in Anne McAffrey's Dragon series.

The rest is history.

I'm glad I chose it. It's a memorial to my golden boy, and it's androgynous, like my primary world name.

My writing (including The Passing of Mistress Rose)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

CAhobbit
Rohan

Feb 2 2008, 3:53am

Post #75 of 236 (544 views)
Shortcut
This was pretty much my very first messageboard screen name..... [In reply to] Can't Post

TORn was the very first messageboard I started posting on back in late 2002. I actually had a different screen name for my first two posts (it was from one of those elvish name generators and began with Luthien). I soon saw that there were at least two others with that name as part of their screen name so I had to come up with a new name. So after much thinking (about 10 seconds) I came up with...

CAhobbit

It means:

California hobbit

It's origin is:

I live in California and my favorite characters in Middle-Earth are hobbits and thus my name was born.

My name has been mistaken to mean the following though (which I've always found amusing)...

-See a hobbit
-Canada hobbit

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.