Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Looking for info about Dain II Ironfoot ....

VeArkenstone
Rivendell

Mar 1 2014, 12:57am

Post #1 of 12 (231 views)
Shortcut
Looking for info about Dain II Ironfoot .... Can't Post

I am doing a writing project and have been researching Dain II Ironfoot, but need some help in filling in the blanks, specifically,

Is Dain related to Thorin Oakenshield?
Were they on friendly terms, or on or off, or not at all?
Is anything known about if had a wife and children?

Any other little ancedotes or stories would be appreciated as well.

I just read that Billy Connelly has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, which bums me out. Is he still playing Dain II Ironfoot in the final chapter of The Hobbit?

Thank you !!!

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 1 2014, 1:04am

Post #2 of 12 (167 views)
Shortcut
can you tell us a little more about your writing project? [In reply to] Can't Post

How does Dain come to be in it? How prominently does he figure? How important do you think it might be for you to read some of the original source material? Would you like some idea of where to go for that?

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

boldog
Rohan

Mar 1 2014, 1:58am

Post #3 of 12 (173 views)
Shortcut
I can tell you a bit [In reply to] Can't Post

I think if my memory is correct, Once he becomes king under the mountain, he marries Dis the mother of Fili and Kili, and He has a son called Thorin stonehelm. Please correct me if im worng anyone

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 1 2014, 7:32am

Post #4 of 12 (159 views)
Shortcut
No, he doesn't marry Dis. [In reply to] Can't Post

And Thorin III was born before Biblo was even born, not after the events of The Hobbit.

Smile

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 1 2014, 7:35am

Post #5 of 12 (159 views)
Shortcut
What I remember... [In reply to] Can't Post

What kind of project are you working on? Sounds interesting!

According to the Appendices of Lord of the Rings, Dain II Ironfoot and Thorin Oakenshield were cousins of some sort. I'm not good with this kind of thing, but they shared a great-grandfather (so, does that make them first cousins twice removed or something like that?). Dain's grandfather was Gror, the younger brother of Thorin's grandfather Thror, which made Dain next in line to the throne of Erebor once Thror's descendants had been killed.

Dain had a son, who was called Thorin Stonehelm and became king of Erebor after Dain (Thorin III Stonehelm). The name of the mother is unknown, I believe (at least, I have never heard of it). I could not find any reference to other children. Thorin Stonehelm was already born when Dain became King under the Mountain (he was two years younger than Kili, actually).

How well he and Thorin Oakenshield knew each other, I cannot speculate on. They did meet when Thorin was looking for his support in reclaiming Erebor, I suppose, but I cannot say if they were on friendly terms.

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 2 2014, 5:52pm

Post #6 of 12 (123 views)
Shortcut
Can't find it now but [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't there a web site with genealogies of the characters?

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 2 2014, 6:03pm

Post #7 of 12 (129 views)
Shortcut
there are lots of websites with info on characters in Tolkien's universe [In reply to] Can't Post

Wikipedia is one.

Encyclopedia of Arda is another.

Google gets you more.

I'm not sure if the OP has done even a minimal amount of research on their own and I always wonder why people are so willing to trust just anyone's answer on the internet (and unless this person is a long time lurker, they don't know know much about us) over their own research.

Which is why I sought out some more info. If this is a homework assignment (doesn't quite sound like it), it's inappropriate for them to ask for help or for us to help. If they are writing something where Dain figures in significantly and they wish to write with integrity, they should be asking for guidance on where they would look to do original (their own) research.

If this is just some personal, hobby writing and Dain does not figure prominently, then asking for some help isn't inappropriate but I, personally, would want to do some of my own research before asking for help. That's just me. I come from a different era.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Bracegirdle
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2014, 10:31pm

Post #8 of 12 (107 views)
Shortcut
Thorin II Oakenshield [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry Boldog.. Dis' husband is unknown! Thorin Oakenshied was Dis' brother. Thorin Oakenshield had no children and he was never King Under the Mountain (save the few days after Smaug was killed before the Battle of Five Armies). Thorin Stonehelm was the son of Dain Ironfoot (loosely related to T. Oakenshield, cousins) and became King Under the Mountain after the death of Dain.

Happy Ringing

VeArkenstone
Rivendell

Mar 4 2014, 1:14am

Post #9 of 12 (96 views)
Shortcut
Well, I have been working a series [In reply to] Can't Post

of LOTR anagrams for a while now, and am wanting to include Dain II Ironfoot before I do this really big thing with them that I have planned to do for a long time. My problem is that my copy of The Return of the King with the appendices is a very old paperback edition and the type is so small that I can hardly read it, and do not have a computer at home so really do not have the time to spend on one to do on-line research, and I am working two jobs, so my time is so limited. I hope to save enough money to update all my Tolkien books and get a computer!

It is not homework, I am with Magpie, I would not do that, it would not be ethical.

I would love to know, Magpie, about any sources of information you may have pertaining to Dain. I have UT from the local library (my fav Tolkien book!), and have read the pertinent chapters in there. I am going to finish reading and then get Unfinished Tales, but I do not think it will have much in it about Dain.

Anyway, I thank everyone very much for their input, it is interesting! I have made notes on all the responses and, hopefully, this will help with the anagram, it is a tough one!

P.S. Did Dain II Ironfoot really have an iron foot?

VeArkenstone
Rivendell

Mar 4 2014, 1:24am

Post #10 of 12 (99 views)
Shortcut
I apologize, I did not mean to offend! [In reply to] Can't Post

And you are right, doing my own research is much better than taking anyone's word for it. (I knew Dain and Dis never married). But this is such a neat site with so many neat, intelligent people involved in it, I did not think it would hurt to ask for some additional information to supplement what I had found. Heavy Sigh. I should know better.

I was not trying to do anything sneaky or unethical. Again, I apologize!

(This post was edited by VeArkenstone on Mar 4 2014, 1:29am)

Bracegirdle
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2014, 4:59am

Post #11 of 12 (82 views)
Shortcut
Correction just in case you need it [In reply to] Can't Post

And you are right, doing my own research is much better than taking anyone's word for it. (I knew Dain and Dis never married).

Dis WAS most likely married as she had 2 sons--Fili & Kili. But we don't know who her husband was.

We can also guess the Dain Ironfoot was married as he had a son, Thorin Stonehelm.

This info can be found in ROTK Appendix A-- The Line of the Dwarves of Erebor.

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on Mar 5 2014, 5:00am)

Bracegirdle
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2014, 5:25pm

Post #12 of 12 (83 views)
Shortcut
PS [In reply to] Can't Post

I was not trying to do anything sneaky or unethical. Again, I apologize!
------------------------------------------------------
I donít believe you need apologize to anyone. You posed a legitimate and interesting question on a proper forum, and got some answers and some criticism. This seems to be the way of it on all forums (the criticism).
But youíre certainly correct that you need take no oneís word for it and do you own research, but this doesnít mean that the internet should be off-limits for information, although I always double check with Tolkienís written word for the truth (in libra veritas).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.