The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Book Aragorn vs. Movie Aragorn

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 1 2008, 9:55pm

Post #1 of 7 (4260 views)
Shortcut
Book Aragorn vs. Movie Aragorn Can't Post

I'm sure we've done this before, but let's do it again. A three part battle.

1. Who would win in a sword fight? Just the two of them on an open field. Assume both have Anduril, so that Book Aragorn doesn't have to fight with those silly shards Tongue

2. Who would win given armies of equal strength to command?

3. Who would win in a battle of wits? Choose your own scenario Smile

I've been away from the Arena for a while. Looks like the couches are a little dustier and a little shabbier than the last time I was here.

>My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
February's Screencap of the Day Schedule

Tim
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2008, 10:59pm

Post #2 of 7 (1328 views)
Shortcut
I of course have the answers ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Who would win in a sword fight? Just the two of them on an open field. Assume both have Anduril, so that Book Aragorn doesn't have to fight with those silly shards Tongue
Book Aragorn would win. He has more guts. He wanted to take on the Balrog in the book, and didn't have any doubts about assuming his birthright, as Movie Aragorn did.

2. Who would win given armies of equal strength to command?
Book Aragorn would, because at the last minute the Dunedain of the North would sweep in on Movie Aragorn's flanks and destroy him.

3. Who would win in a battle of wits? Choose your own scenario.
Book Aragorn would, because as they faced off man to man in Rivendell (over Arwen), poor Movie Aragorn would suddenly find himself holding half a sword as Book Aragorn sweeps through is defenses with Anduril, having the wits to assume his heritage already.

Laugh

"Sir are you classified as human?"
"Negative! I am a meat popsicle!"

Padster
Bree

Feb 11 2008, 4:52pm

Post #3 of 7 (1455 views)
Shortcut
NO contest! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Book Aragorn
2. Book Aragorn
3. Book Aragorn

Seems a bit one sided, but I'm afraid......no I'm not. It is a matter of fact by anyone reading and viewing the two Aragorn's, that the movie Aragorn is plagued with doubt, a bit skinny and short (Aragorn WAS the tallest of the company) and just not as commanding, in comparison to the book Aragorn.

And of course the bok Aragorn isn't dumb enough to allow himself to get caught up in the reigns of a Warg and get haulled over a cliff (TRAVESTY! INFIDEL! BURN JACKSON AND ALL WHO SIDE WITH HIM!).

Don't get me wrong, the movie Aragorn isn't ALL bad. He's good looking......as I said, he isn't ALL bad......but he just does not come across anywhere near as noble, courageous, confident, or simply as HARD as the book Aragorn. There is simply no comparison.

Robert Stephens from the BBC 1981 Dramatisation! Now, he has been, is, and always will be the voice of Aragorn for me. Deep, colourful, passionate, strong! Simply awesome!

Viggo? OK, as I said, good looking 'n all, but voice wise? Toneless, simply, grey...just a bit naff! No power at all. Yeah, yeah, you're gonna raise the battle of Helm's Deep now aren't you?

Anyone can SHOUT!

Cheers

Padster

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 13 2008, 8:51pm

Post #4 of 7 (1272 views)
Shortcut
Get Reel! [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie Aragorn is more like Aragone........

He didn't even want to be king.

Anyone who says, "Let's go hunt some Orc." cannot be taken seriously.......

There isn't a character in the movies that can stand up to the book's version - except Arwen of course. And the Witch-king, who could break Gandalf's staff & make him cower on the ground. Mad

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2008, 7:16pm

Post #5 of 7 (1298 views)
Shortcut
Hah! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Book!Aragorn. Dude is 6'6'', so has height to help him. And movie!Aragorn seems best at defeating a bunch of silly Uruk-hai while book!Aragorn is the guy to defeat someone one on one. Though, to be fair, it would likely be a close fight :P

2. Book!Aragorn easily. Much more commanding than movie!Aragorn, and doesn't have that nasty doubt plaguing him about being king and whatnot.

3. Heh, definitely book!Aragorn once more. I mean, he had to use his wits only to try and convince Frodo and co to let him join them, while movie!Aragorn was all, well, not. Let's say they played a chess game xD So yes, he beats him. Again.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Feb 28 2008, 5:21pm

Post #6 of 7 (3926 views)
Shortcut
Book and Movie Aragorn are Kin [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that book and movie Aragorns are closer than you think. How many years did book Aragorn dilly-dally around before finally claiming his throne? Would he even have bothered if Elrond hadn't forced his hand, by withholding Arwen till he did something about the deplorable decline of the line of Elros? And how many generations before that did nothing but dwindle into heroic hobos? So the Stewards of Gondor say, "I'm sorry, you're not our king according to this technicality that we never proved our old king dead, even though it's been centuries past his lifespan--and the Rangers just threw up their hands and said, "Okay! You win!" I mean, come on, how wishy-washy is that? There has been some serious loss of spine over the generations.

At least book Aragorn, like his forebears, had the gumption to fight in defense of others, though it took some serious work to get him to move on his own behalf, and only because Gondor had run out of Stewards and Faramir didn't really want it, either. Before then he had a clear shot at ruling Gondor in his "Thorongil" days--and vanished precisely because Denethor's dad was on the verge of handing it to him even without knowing who he was! Book Aragorn didn't even want to go into Minas Tirith to be recognized as King--he snuck in to heal people, then snuck out again, saying he was unused to sleeping indoors. Long before the movies I got the impression that the throne was something he resigned himself to as the price for marrying Arwen.

I maintain that the book and movie Aragorns wouldn't fight. They would go off somewhere to share a cup of tea and say to each other, "I concede--you're the better man. You take her." "No, you take her, and the crown with her. I'll just slink off to live in the woods." "No, she's yours. Just make her happy." They both had serious confidence problems. Pisces people don't much like to lead, and Aragorn is so Piscean in every other way that I wonder if our good Catholic Tolkien nevertheless snuck a peek into an astrological book or two and then confessed it afterwards (being prone to the same lapses, myself, I do confess.)

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 3:41pm

Post #7 of 7 (851 views)
Shortcut
book [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.