The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
How The Return of the King won best picture and 11 Oscars

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Feb 27 2014, 9:03pm

Post #1 of 19 (724 views)
Shortcut
How The Return of the King won best picture and 11 Oscars Can't Post

[caption id="attachment_87241" align="alignright" width="300"] Return of the King 'For Your Consideration' Ads for the 2004 Academy Awards.[/caption] How exactly did New Line go about mounting its campaign that 10 years ago won The Return of the King a history-making 11 Academy Awards? Vanity Fair interviewed many of those at New Line who were involved in the multi-million-dollar campaign, and the effect that the commercial and critical success had on the way Hollywood views fantasy films.

The biggest problem - and this started with Fellowship - was we had the dreaded F word; we were the fantasy movie, and there was no fantasy movies that ever won for best picture. Russell Schwartz, executive vice president of marketing at New Line Cinema in 2004.

Thanks to Ringer Boromir's Bane for the heads-up.

[gallery type="slideshow" ids="87237,87238,87239,87240,87241,87242,87243,87244,87245,87246,87247,87248,87249,87250,87251,87252,87253" orderby="rand"]
"For Your Consideration" ads from The Hollywood Reporter. Credit: Ringer Spy Frodosam & Ringer Spy ShelaghC

11 Oscars to Rule Them All: An Oral History of The Return of the King's Best-Picture Win

It took one ring to rule them all, and 11 Oscars to make movie history. Ten years ago this month, The Return of the King, the third and final chapter in The Lord of the Rings franchise, did the unthinkable: it swept the Academy Awards, winning all 11 categories it was nominated for, including best picture.

On paper, the film - and the franchise as a whole - was the polar opposite of Oscar bait. These were fantasy films filled with dwarves and hobbits and elves and magic rings. They were directed by a filmmaker known for low-budget horror flicks; cast with a group of unknown actors few audiences could pick out of a lineup; and written, planned, shot, and edited all in New Zealand, far away from the cozy awards-friendly confines of sunny Los Angeles.

What Oscar cognoscenti didn't see from the outset, they would come to realize by 2001, when The Fellowship of the Ring was released to overwhelming critical acclaim. The first chapter would go on to nab 13 nominations - a series high - but only come away with technical awards. A year later, The Two Towers grabbed six nods, but it too lost out on best picture. That set the stage for the final movie, as New Line focused its attention on getting Peter Jackson and the J. R. R. Tolkien-based series the Academy recognition it deserved.

In honor of the 10th anniversary of the The Return of the King's awards sweep, VF Hollywood pieced together the film's entire Oscar campaign. Speaking with more than a dozen people involved with the effort - from New Line executives to designers to consultants - we were able to paint a complete picture of how a fantasy film was able to win 11 Academy Awards - including the granddaddy of them all, best picture - and change the trajectory of the Oscars.

[Read More]

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Mar 24 2014, 9:21pm)

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 28 2014, 6:32pm

Post #2 of 19 (492 views)
Shortcut
"It's a clean sweep!" Steven Spielberg [In reply to] Can't Post

It still feels pretty darned amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoKFtf4A_mc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGY8ScKlGNc

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 28 2014, 6:37pm

Post #3 of 19 (463 views)
Shortcut
And Gollum had this to say about that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lest we forget who was the real star of the show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUNYCGZMtI8

WARNING: very bad bleeped bad language.Wink

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 28 2014, 6:42pm

Post #4 of 19 (449 views)
Shortcut
Someday, that may grow old. But it is not this day! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Lest we forget who was the real star of the show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUNYCGZMtI8

WARNING: very bad bleeped bad language.Wink

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 28 2014, 6:44pm

Post #5 of 19 (441 views)
Shortcut
Indeed.// [In reply to] Can't Post

elaen32
Gondor

Feb 28 2014, 7:47pm

Post #6 of 19 (438 views)
Shortcut
Ah, thanks for posting these Lissuin [In reply to] Can't Post

Still brings a lump to my throat- I think the whole team so deserved their wins. SmileOne of the sadder aspects is seeing how much everybody, especially PJ, has aged over those 10 years. Just life I guess, but still....Unsure

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in April. Happy writing!

elaen32
Gondor

Feb 28 2014, 7:48pm

Post #7 of 19 (436 views)
Shortcut
ROFL!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughI hadn't seen this video before- hilarious!!! Thanks again for posting LissuinSmile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in April. Happy writing!

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 1 2014, 12:59am

Post #8 of 19 (427 views)
Shortcut
Do you have TTT EE? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
LaughI hadn't seen this video before- hilarious!!! Thanks again for posting LissuinSmile

It's on there, if you know where to look.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 1 2014, 1:51am

Post #9 of 19 (413 views)
Shortcut
Yes I do.. [In reply to] Can't Post

and have watched all the discs more times than I can remember, but have never found this. Is it on all versions, or just bluray or limited editions? I have the standard DVD EE which was the original release. I'll have to look at my discs again- who knows what is lurking there?! I'm, admittedly pretty rubbish at Easter egg hunting.
Thanks for the tip Meneldor!Smile

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 1 2014, 7:12pm

Post #10 of 19 (390 views)
Shortcut
It's in the same place on TTT [In reply to] Can't Post

as the alternate SNL Council of Elrond on FotR, if that helps.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2014, 8:30pm

Post #11 of 19 (399 views)
Shortcut
This article really goes to show how much campaigning... [In reply to] Can't Post

goes into something like RotK's Oscar sweep (to the point that certain people's jobs are actually on the line), even when many of us would like to say it won because it deserved it. That night holds many fond memories for me, but this aspect of the Oscars is what leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Leaving aside the fact that I am very often befuddled by AMPAS's choices each year, I hate the way the whole thing is like a political race. I hear things like "oh, so-and-so isn't winning the award because they haven't been hobnobbing with voters around town", and the like.

I also think about the many classic films that never won Best Picture, or any Oscars for that matter. I've found more joy in recent years in just enjoying movies and not getting hung up on who wins what.

That said, that night in 2004 was pretty joyous for all of us - and it was nice seeing PJ & Co. get recognition for all their hard work. That was a pretty unique situation, I think. We all felt, and continue to feel, quite a personal connection to these hardworking folk.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Mar 1 2014, 8:34pm)

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Mar 2 2014, 3:51am

Post #12 of 19 (372 views)
Shortcut
That is really cool! So the question is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...will something like this be done for There And Back Again? I'm not sure how this all works, but it seems like there is a whole process about getting the votes and recognition, something that I had not been aware of until 5 minutes ago. Could they do the same thing and spend loads of money and work their behinds off and get TABA a possible Oscar shot?

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

LordotRings93
Rohan

Mar 2 2014, 4:23am

Post #13 of 19 (378 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's ALL bribes and whatnot [In reply to] Can't Post

At least with LOTR's case, the Oscars went to the film trilogy as a whole, and RotK was really a crowning achievement with great emotional scope. You're telling me Into The West only won an Oscar because New Line bribed the Academy? It won an Oscar because it's a great and fitting song for the trilogy. I will agree that the Oscars NOWADAYS lean heavily on "Oscar bait" movies, like that 12 Years A Slave film.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2014, 4:48am

Post #14 of 19 (394 views)
Shortcut
Nowadays? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

And what of the films that won before RotK? Things like Schindler's List, Forrest Gump, The English Patient, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, A Beautiful Mind, among others? Most Oscar winning films have been what you'd categorize as "Oscar bait". And campaigning is always a part of it. To think that RotK was exempt from this is wishful thinking, imo. Look at the movies that won in the surrounding years: A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Million Dollar Baby, Crash, The Departed, etc. Does that resemble an Academy that would freely vote for a fantasy film without some nudging?

As far as I'm concerned, RotK rightly deserved every award it received that night - but never in a million years would I believe that the majority of the Academy fell so hopelessly in love with the films that they just had to vote for it. Campaigning had a lot to do with it. I'd wager that many who still felt it was "fantasy rubbish" probably voted for it because they felt they had to (just like you'll hear some voters this year say they were compelled to vote for "that Slavery movie" because of it's historical importance - never mind the fact that it's a cinematic masterpiece).

It's just the way things operate each year. I got used to it myself over time - until I finally lost the taste for it.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Mar 2 2014, 5:00am)

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 2 2014, 3:39pm

Post #15 of 19 (371 views)
Shortcut
I too think it's both [In reply to] Can't Post

Campaigning and how good the movie actually is.

Btw, I haven't yet seen 12 Years a Slave, which you described as a cinematic masterpiece. Is it really? I have wanted to see it for a long time but movies like this (Defiance, for example), I prefer to watch at home on a very bright sunny day. IMO, the Light deflects some of the darkness in the story.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2014, 8:04pm

Post #16 of 19 (359 views)
Shortcut
I believe it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had the same type of reaction to the film that I had to, say, Schindler's List. It left me shaken and emotional. The film is both disturbing and life-affirming. It's one of those that I instantly knew would take a place on my top 10 list of the decade after walking out of the theater. Among other exemplary qualities, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Michael Fassbender give mesmerizing performances that I don't think I'll ever forget.

But I suppose it also depends on your tolerance for difficult subjects. I feel it's a film that everyone should see, particularly in the U.S. This was a particularly dark period of our history, and I think we need to be reminded of it. Not only that, but such abductions into slavery are still happening around the world this very day.

- Viggo Mortensen

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 2 2014, 8:20pm

Post #17 of 19 (369 views)
Shortcut
an interesting commentary on tv this morning [In reply to] Can't Post

by David Edelstein on CBS Sunday Morning about the Oscars:
To those of you placing large bets based on which movies you like, play cards with me. Please! There's a world of hidden Oscar campaigning that determines these things. Nominees go to parties, weddings, brises.

... (and after commenting on various nominees)

You're on your own now, but let me remind you what the Oscars, for all their grandiosity, are not: a measure of cinematic greatness.

They're a game, a sport -- and if you watch in the right spirit, they're Olympian in their power to make you cheer . . . and gasp in horror.

http://www.cbsnews.com/...s-oscar-predictions/

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 3 2014, 12:39am

Post #18 of 19 (345 views)
Shortcut
That's another one [In reply to] Can't Post

Schindler's List - that I own and want to have available but rarely ever want to watch and only on a bright sunny day. Very painful topics these two.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 3 2014, 7:29pm

Post #19 of 19 (362 views)
Shortcut
So happy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those were wonderfully touching to watch, thank you so much for sharing the links! It is amazing, what a first it was in so many ways. What a night. 11 Oscars, just.... wow.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.