Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Hello friends!

srw48

Feb 28 2014, 12:33am

Post #1 of 18 (321 views)
Shortcut
Hello friends! Can't Post

Hello Tolkien fans! I would like to first introduce myself, My name is Spencer and I am a cultural anthropology student at Humboldt State University in California. I am taking an ethnography class and have decided to do my project on fan clubs and specifically that of LOTR fans as I myself have a love for the stories. If you don't know what an ethnography is here is the definition from Wikipedia, Ethnography (from Greek ἔŤŪÔÚ ethnos "folk, people, nation" and „Ů‹Ųý grapho "I write") is research designed to explore cultural phenomena. An ethnography is a means to represent graphically and in writing, the culture of a group. Basically I am looking into the "fan culture" that has been built around these great stories and any help would be appreciated. Here are some questions that I have drawn up, and if ya have time to answer them that would be awesome and a great help. Thank you and have an awesome day!
1)What Age were you when you first read Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit?
2)Who introduced you to these stories?
3)Did you like the fantasy genre before reading them or did they spark your interest once you realized what a great read they are?
4)Why do you think LOTR and The Hobbit are such great stories?
5)Does any other series in your mind compare to that LOTR/Hobbit?
6)Do you think the movies do the books any justice? If not why so?
7) Do you like The Hobbit or LOTR better?
8)Who are your favorite characters? Do you personally relate to any of them?
9)Are you a member of any other fan communities? If so how do they compare to LOTR fans?
Again any help is appreciated. Thanks again!

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 28 2014, 12:59am

Post #2 of 18 (173 views)
Shortcut
Welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

And here are my answers
1. 16
2. My grandfather
3. Yes, but I had read much of it.
4. Because they speak timeless truths. And rereading them never fails to please.
5. Alas, no.
6. Yes, because the movies help one visualize Middle Earth. But the books are superior.
7. I actually prefer The Silmarillion to TH and LOTR.
8. Treebeard, Beorn, Sam and Aragorn. The way Sam lives his life and gives his all in service to another is important to me.
9. No

Good luck with your studies.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2014, 2:41am

Post #3 of 18 (153 views)
Shortcut
Answers...! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) I was six.
2) I saw a copy of "The Hobbit" at my local public library, and it captured my attention.
3) I had already read fantasy novels by George MacDonald and C.S. Lewis.But certainly having read "The Hobbit" I wanted to find more books like it to read. I am a big fan of the fantasy genre still.
4) One thing that is amazing about these stories is the invented world in which they are set, with diverse peoples that each have their own history. Oh, and that the stories involve a lot of travel around it, so we get to see the places where these peoples live. I think also they are appealing for their "ordinary" Hobbit heroes.
5) It stands alone for me, as definitely my very favorite, that I have reread far more times than any other. But, although quite different in many ways, I would mention J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books as ones that drew me in to a great degree compared to other books (and, far later in life...). I'd still say I like Tolkien's books the best, though!
6) I think the movies do the books a great deal of justice. They are all brilliant at bringing the world to life. I also they were well cast, and written to bring the characters to the screen recognizably themselves (for the major characters). The changes to the plot don't bother me.
8) My favorite character is Sam. For me he is the true hero of LotR, who sticks with Frodo through it all and in Mordor, makes it possible for Frodo to reach Mt. Doom.
9) I've been active in Potter-oriented communities. I'm only involved wth TorN, Compared to some (but not all) Potter sites I have been on, my fellow posters seem on average more widely read, and older, here. The intensity of fan disagreements here also seems less.

Best of luck with your project!

Longbottom Leaf
Rivendell

Feb 28 2014, 3:02am

Post #4 of 18 (145 views)
Shortcut
Hello. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good luck with your research. Here goes....
1. 20 years old. I read The Hobbit first and then Lord of the Rings directly after.
2. A friend who never let me down with recommendations of music, movies, and comedy. My three favorite things. He suggested I read the books before the movies came out. I'm glad I took his advice. I had never before read a book just for my own personal amusement. After reading Tolkien I was hooked on books.
3. I had no interest in fantasy. I still don't really. More of a sci- fi guy. And even that I'm not that into. These, to me, were such great stories that I never even thought about the label or genre. Most fantasy and sci- fi I find to be "a bit much" while LOTR and The Hobbit made me feel a sense of realism within a completely invented world with made up creatures and such. Great characters and storytelling! That's the genre I like most.
4. Because, as I stated above, the characters are well written as is the story. When something can make you forget that wizards and elves don't actually exist then I think it is a job well done.
5. Hmmm. Compare in what way? So many things to ponder. Well I can say that I haven't read any other books multiple times the way I have read LOTR and The Hobbit. As far as overall greatness is concerned I enjoyed reading The Count of Monte Cristo just as much as LOTR. As far as movies are concerned I love the original Star Wars trilogy just as much if not more than LOTR
6. I do. Especially LOTR! I finished the books like a week before FOTR came out. They were fresh on my mind and many scenes in the movies gave me chills. I love the first two Hobbit movies too but I feel like LOTR aimed closer to the mark.
7. LOTR. When it comes to both movies and books. Although The Hobbit is such an easy read and maybe even more fun, LOTR is just so detailed and epic.
8. I was fascinated by Beorn right off the bat! Love this character. Gandalf is the obvious choice. I don't think I need to state why he is probably the coolest character across all 4 books. I heavily relate to Sam. I am a person who holds friendship in the highest regard. Maybe even higher than family. We choose our friends but not our family.His character really moved me. I also relate to Bilbo a great deal. And hobbits in general. I love the comforts of home. I also love joy and merriment, parties and gatherings, and ale, food, and pipe weed! I sometimes yearn for adventure but often need a "nudge out of the door." As a side note, my favorite movie character is Boromir. Well done Sean Bean! One of my favorite movie performances of all time.
9. Nope.
And so concludes my longest post ever!

The finest weed in the southfarthing!

Kim
Valinor

Feb 28 2014, 3:21am

Post #5 of 18 (147 views)
Shortcut
Hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I read The Hobbit around age 7, LOTR around age 12

I don't remember, but I think it was either a teacher, or my older brothers, or possibly both around the same time.

3)Did you like the fantasy genre before reading them or did they spark your interest once you realized what a great read they are?

I don't think I'd read any when I first read the The Hobbit, but I did read the Narnia books around the same time at LOTR.

I was drawn in by the idea of hobbits, specifically Bilbo, having all kinds of adventures.

The Narnia books and Harry Potter are comparable for me. They are simpler stories, but I found they drew me in faster, partially because the language was more contemporary, and partially because the protagonists were kids.

Yes, of course! I love the movies and think they've done a wonderful job of bringing the stories to life. They actually re-ignited my interest in Tolkien, and caused me to read the books again.

The Hobbit. LOTR was a little too dark and epic for me when I first read it, I actually stopped reading halfway through ROTK. The Hobbit was just more approachable.

Bilbo was my favorite character since I encountered The Hobbit at such a young age. I don't remember personally relating to the other characters, except perhaps Eowyn since she was basically the only female. I actually related more to the kids in the Narnia books since they were kids, and 2 were girls. If we're talking movies, Thorin is my favorite.

9)Are you a member of any other fan communities? If so how do they compare to LOTR fans?

No, this is the only fan community I'm a member of.

Again any help is appreciated. Thanks again!

You're welcome!

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 28 2014, 4:03am

Post #6 of 18 (148 views)
Shortcut
Welcome as well! [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel you picked a site that is rich in sentiment for a particular individual, being Tolkien, and history as well. So many here are incredibly devoted to Tolkien and also Jackson. So i will just try to recall back to the distant past and answer.

1- What age> About 23-24yrs old. Now 64yrs).

2- Introduction to stories> A convenience store book rack in Oakland NJ.

3-Did i like fantasy before> No, it was a complete surprise. It was a so very new. Just nothing in my experience could compare to it.

4-Why great stories> I feel that because it connected me so to the stories and characters , it drew my deepest emotions out. I believe it was a cathartic experience. I feel Tolkien was able to draw so much from the depth of his humanity, he was able to infuse that into what he wrote. It was the 'indescribable beauty' (i will call it) of it all, that was so overwhelming.

5- Other comparable series> No, because these stories for me were just transformational.

6-Movies do justice> For me they were. There are different bench marks one could use. I will just say that the movies gave me the same immersion as to the raw power and beauty that the books did. In this way i feel it held theme even though event elements were changed a bit. The whole visual element of the films just added more, to create a deeply powerful experience.
7-Hobbit or LOTR's better liked> LOTR's.

8-Favorite characters> I will just have to pull out what i have in my bio: "I love them all equally. Each one lends such a beauty to it all. I can revel in any one of them at any time. And it is not just the characters themselves. It is the one life they, themselves create and share. Nope, i'm not forgetting about you Bill:)." After 8yrs here i still feel the same.

9- Other fan communities> What other fan communities?...is my best answer. I came here fresh out of blue (stumbled in being a computer virgin) and never left.

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
ó J.R.R. Tolkien

srw48

Feb 28 2014, 4:57am

Post #7 of 18 (133 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks a ton guys, i know its not the most interesting post but your all really helping me out a bunch, much love!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 28 2014, 12:06pm

Post #8 of 18 (132 views)
Shortcut
Howdy and Welcome!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great that you've found your way here :) Good luck on your work!

Here are some responses...

19 in 1971

My (then) husband.

Oh... I've always loved a good fantasy story :)

The characters are people you can relate to. The story of friendship, loyalty, courage, love, tolerance and faith are very strong.

The Harry Potter series are also very stong... well written and focus on how everyone has value, no matter how awkward or lost.

Absolutely! I've been reading LotR at least once a year since 1971... and I'm in awe and so pleased with what Peter Jackson and his team have accomplished.

Not fair, precious... not fair. The Hobbit is incomplete; and I love them each on their own. Can't/Won't choose :)

Sam, Frodo, and Bilbo. Yeah... I'm very hobbity.

Nope! TORn is home :)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 28 2014, 2:56pm

Post #9 of 18 (115 views)
Shortcut
Hi. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was 9 when I found the "Riddles in the Dark" chapter of The Hobbit excerpted in our Fourth Grade Reader. I read the entire book some time later, and read LotR by my early teens.

Our school library.

Yes, first through such things as the Universal and Hammer horror movies, science fiction films like The Day the Earth Stood Still and Forbidden Planet, and Japanese kaiju movies; then, through the books in my school library, originally s.f. authors like Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, Bova and Bradbury.

As a youngster, they expanded my imagination and my vocabulary. Later, I started picking out Tolkien's themes and the moral dilemas of his characters.

Frank Herbert's Dune series. Moorcock's Eternal Champion. ElfQuest by Wendy and Richard Pini. Jeff Smith's Bone. Possibly Roger Zalazny's Amber series. Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun.

Yes and no. The LotR films are more successful in this regard, mostly because the divergences in Jackson's Hobbit movies are so large, over-the-top, and often poorly thought-out.

As literature? LotR. As a book to read to a 7 year-old? The Hobbit.

I've occasionally felt like Bilbo. I would like to think that I was capable of Aragorn's nobility, Frodo's fortitude and the common sense of Sam and Merry.

In the '80s I was active in the anime fan community in San Antonio, TX. Ringers remind me of those days.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

CuriousG
Valinor

Feb 28 2014, 4:19pm

Post #10 of 18 (111 views)
Shortcut
Some anwers [In reply to] Can't Post

Good luck with your project, Spencer.

Here are my answers:

1. Age 11
2. My 5th grade teacher required us to read The Hobbit for our English class.
3. I always liked fantasy. Tolkien made me like it even more since he developed his world so deeply.
4. Why are they great stories? They feature "the common man" as the hero; the central characters strive to do the right thing; it's about good vs. evil; there's lots of action and suspense; the writing is beautiful.
5. No comparisons, even the imitators.
6. I think the LOTR movies kept the spirit of the books as much as they could while adapting them to a general audience, so yes, they did them justice. I don't think The Hobbit movies stayed as close to the character, tone, plot, pace, and many other aspects of the book, so no.
7. I prefer LOTR: there are more layers to the story and characters, and it's an epic.
8. Frodo is a clear favorite for me: he doesn't feel cut out to be a hero, but tries to do the right thing with the abilities that he has. That's been a great philosophy for me to grow up with.
9. This is my only fan community.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2014, 5:02pm

Post #11 of 18 (109 views)
Shortcut
A few more answers. Sorry If I ramble. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was 14 when I read The Lord of the Rings, and shortly after, I read The Hobbit.

Well, it was a bit of a mix. My father, who had read it when he was 12-ish, was excited when he heard they were making a film series out of the books, and my sister became obsessed over the films. She read the books, collected merchandise, and hung posters. I was an 8 year old younger brother, so if she liked it, I automatically took a dislike.Laugh I sat through the films, but hardly took anything in--I didn't want to be there. More the fool I!!

A few years after the last film was released on DVD, my father decided to re-watch the Extended Editions of the films, which he had not yet seen, and I actually watched them. My sister's fandom had long fizzled out, so I could like it and still be coolCool!! I was enthralled by the story and images and have been a fan ever since. Not long after, I rooted up the books and read them, loving every page!!

At the time, I wasn't aware of the 'fantasy' genre as such, but I did like stories about other worlds, and they definitely contained elements of fantasy. They were probably the first real fantasy books I read though, and I have since been recommended several books that are considered 'fantasy'. So I suppose Tolkien was the first, but did he start a process? I'm not sure, but only because there hasn't been anything I've found like LoTR!!!

I really don't think that it can be quantified. There is a certain je ne sais quoi about it, and that sets it apart from all other books. A lot of other books tend to focus on action and thrills, stray into mysticism, allegory, or fated dooms, or even seek to focus on character development and become some kind of psycho-emotional roller coaster where we feel with the characters. Tolkien seems to combine all of these, while conveying a sense of depth and realism. There are no throw away characters of Guard#3's here.

Pull a soldier out of rank, and you will find that he fights for his king, because his great-grandfather had disgraced himself by abandoning his post in a raid that resulted in the death of the prince. He fights to redeem his honour and succeeds.

Not really, but you get the idea. Everywhere, there is a sense of meaning and history to the world--if feels old, and well travelled. You can almost smell the must of history as you stride through the Wild with the Hobbits. It feels so complete and fully realised; not at all like a few patch job works I've seen become popular, then in light of unexpected success, require extensive retcon.

Another thing I like is the way that we are able to follow the main Quest, yet see and appreciate the many characters' journeys and struggles, as they complete their own arcs, without losing track of any of them. I was never lost when I read the book, and it was a thoroughly enjoyable read where I actually cared for every character. (Except Boromir...Everyone knows he was a jerk!!Wink.) No, but later I learned to appreciate him through they accounts given of him in the last 2/3 of the story. I had a book give me a practical schooling in judging people!!

No. Not even close. If the distance between here and Pluto were the scale of greatness, and LotR located on Pluto (at aphelion) , all other books would barely make it out of Earth's atmosphere.

In their own way. Visual media is vastly different from the written word, as is the tone to match the time and place. The films did cater to action, but only because they can only show you the story, they are unable to tell you something without an obnoxious voice-over, and that would get old very quickly. I think the films captured most of the spirit in the books, more so when the focus was character exposition and setting. Hearing lines from the book as spoken dialogue, was magical when I saw the films again. Of course, there had to be action and eye candy added to keep the interest of the non-Tolkienlightened (I made that word up myselfAngelic), but I enjoy them very much.

Hmmm... The Hobbit has a whimsical charm to it. No deep backstories, compared to LotR, but more than most children's books. It had the sweep of an epic tale, yet the simplicity of a just-so-story. I get the feeling that if too many 'Why?' questions were raised as Tolkien related the story, he would have said 'Because it did!' A charming book, with a good message, and that is easy to read.

The Lord of the Rings. A masterpiece! When I want to revisit my favourite place, I go here. So much there, I could go on forever, but if we are just comparing the two, I'd say that I read this book whenever I want to go on a longer adventure with Frodo and the Fellowship. Usually after I get back to Bag-End with Bilbo!!

Faramir is up there, Sam, Gandalf, Merry, and Pippin. There isn't much to speak of in the book as to many characters, I think, but the films come to my mind, and Sean Bean redeems Boromir, and seeing Viggo as Aragorn helps me appreciate the quiet ranger more.

Do I relate? Yes, not totally, but still so. I think I want to be as committed as Faramir, loyal as Sam, wise like Gandalf, and just have as much fun as Pippin!! Different circumstances for different occasions.

No, not really. I have a few shows, book series, and things I follow infrequently, but this is the only community I am actually involved with.

Hope this helps!!!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2014, 10:21pm

Post #12 of 18 (95 views)
Shortcut
Hi there! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to TORn! I'll gladly answer your questions.

21 years old. (This is also my current age)

No one actually. At least not intentionally. You see, I had no interest whatsoever in these stories until spring last year (May 2013 to be specific). I mean, I had heard of them but found what I heard too confusing to bother trying to read them. I was however, interested in all of the LEGO video games so one of my family members got me the LEGO LOTR game for my birthday. Again, they got the game for me because I liked LEGO, not LOTR. I ended up loving the LEGO LOTR game and it finally got me to understand and like the story enough to start reading the books. I had heard that The Hobbit was the background for LOTR so I read it first and fell head-over-heels in love and started on the LOTR books a.s.a.p. I'm currently working on reading ROTK.

The list of fantasy books I had read before LOTR mostly consisted of Narnia and a Christian fiction series called Passages by Paul McCusker which was also of allegorical nature. Outside of those two series, I donít recall having much interest in the fantasy genre that I can think ofÖOop. Wait a minute...There are a few other fantasy series that Iíve read and liked that werenít allegorical, but they were Christian fiction. (Itís been awhile since I read them so I almost forgot.) There was The Cooper Kids Adventure series by Frank Peretti (7 books), The Mars Diaries (10 books) series by Sigmund Brouwer, and the Timebenders series by Jim Denney (4 books). I believe their all either youth or young adult booksÖHuh. I guess maybe I WAS interested in fantasy before LOTR!

Now, on the other side of things I donít think Iíve read any fantasy that wasnít explicitly Christian fiction before or after LOTR. Some of the ďsecularĒ fantasy stuff thatís out there (especially for my age group) is just too weird, violent or dark (in a different way from LOTR) for my personal tastes. However, LOTR did spark my imagination about such subjects as magic and elves and introduced me to the freedom that one can have while writing in the fantasy genre, so I am now trying to write my own fantasy story that I hope to have published someday.

I think LOTR and The Hobbit have different reasons for being great. The Hobbit has a much more childlike/fanciful tone but I think people are inspired by Bilbo and the way that he faces his fears, steps into the unknown and ends up setting the wheels in motion for life and ultimately world-changing events. He went from being content with living a ho-hum life to going on adventures, facing impossible odds and overcoming them. I think people relate to and admire that.
LOTR on the other hand, has multiple characters with admirable qualities and it also teaches the reader how important it is to keep standing up against darkness/evil even when things seem hopeless.
As I once heard someone say, LOTR is often considered ďescapist literatureĒ but in reality itís a pretty dark and depressing story filled with despairing people until the end. I mean, itís repeated multiple times that there is little chance that Frodoís errand to destroy the Ring will succeed. Even Gandalf said ďThere never was much hope, just a fools hope.Ē How exactly is that escapist? I think, instead of helping us to escape from the problems of our lives and our world LOTR teaches us the qualities that we need to face the problems, to fight them, and to win, even when there is nothing but a fools hope that we will succeed. (Gosh, I just made myself cry!)
Thereís another thing that makes LOTR great too. It helps us realize that even the smallest, most unassuming person can change the world forever just by being willing to try.

How so? Like a said before, Iím not familiar with the fantasy genre outside of the Christian fiction seriesí that I mentioned and those were nothing like LOTR, so right off the top of my head I canít think of any.

Well, I was what they call a movie-firster so maybe that makes me biased, but yes, I think the movies did the books plenty of justice. Especially given how a movie, or in this case a trilogy of movies puts such a time and space constraint on things.

Thatís like asking me to choose my favorite child!Shocked Actually, I donít have any children, but seriously, I donít think I can choose. Theyíre different but they both have qualities that I love.

Letís seeÖThere are so many great characters but I especially love Frodo, Aragorn, Sam, Merry and Eowyn. I admire Frodo and Aragorn but I donít personally relate to them. I think I personally relate to Sam because he and I want to be able to support and help the people we love and are willing to sacrifice something of ourselves to do so.
Merry and Eowyn both wanted to have a chance to do something great but were frustrated in their efforts for a while because everyone thought they couldnít. In Merryís case it was because he was too small. In Eowynís case it was because she was a woman. I think I relate to them because Iíve felt a similar frustration from time to time, but they help me remember that the labels that other people put on me donít really matter and that I need to persevere.

9)Are you a member of any other fan communities? If so how do they compare to LOTR fans? Nope. TORn is my first and only fan community. Honestly, Iím a little scared of some of the other fan communities! *cough Twihards*Tongue

Hope that helps. Good luck with your project!

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Feb 28 2014, 10:22pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 1 2014, 12:50am

Post #13 of 18 (93 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, welcome. [In reply to] Can't Post

QT, at your service. Here are my answers.

I was 13 when I first read The Hobbit. About 17 when I read The Lord of the Rings.

My father first gave me The Hobbit when I was 13. I didn't much like books. Then I saw Fellowship of the Ring in the cinema a year later and was hooked.

I didn't even like reading before, so no. After reading LotR I went straight into Narnia and other fantasy novels. Now I love reading any genre.

Everyone likes escapism and Tolkien really includes something for everyone. War, love, heroism, death, history, language, culture - it's all in there.

The only series I've really enjoyed as much as The Lord of the Rings are the His Dark Materials books by Philip Pullman. Other than that nothing really compares.

They kind of serve as an exaggerated version of the books, more focus on action and impressive creatures. But really they don't do justice to the tone and atmosphere of the books. That feeling of walking for miles, meeting new people and having new experiences and then returning home with a whole new perspective on life. The movies just don't give you that.

Lord of the Rings is a much more immersive experience. The child in me loves lightly reading The Hobbit on frequent occasions, but The Lord of the Rings is a much more fantastical and interesting read.

8)Who are your favourite characters? Do you personally relate to any of them?
I tend to relate to the weaklings, the nobodies who end up achieving great things. I'm a short skinny guy so I relate more I guess to Frodo, particularly in his later weakened state.

No other franchises, but I do post on forums for gamers, animators and film buffs. I'd say Tolkien fans tend to be extremely polite and well-mannered, much more so than any other communities I've met. For example, all the warm welcomes you got on this post alone! Tolkien forums are always my favourite place to discuss subjects, because the conversation is always polite and generally met with enthusiasm. Where other forums can divert into controversy or unpleasantness.

Thanks for the post, it was fun!
Smile

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Mar 1 2014, 12:55am)

demnation
Rohan

Mar 1 2014, 2:08am

Post #14 of 18 (84 views)
Shortcut
Hello! I always love talking about myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

1) I had a brief interest in The Hobbit at age nine. I didn't read LOTR until much later, between 16 and 19.
2) My mom
3) Yes and no. I've always liked castles and dragons and other monsters, and The Hobbit helped foster that. I then started reading a lot of fantasy. Too much, and not much of it good.
4) Because Tolkien wasn't a fake. Both positive and negative, Tolkien was a person in the most true sense of the word, and that shows in his work. He wasn't an armchair observer: all of the depth in his work comes from his life experience, I think.
5) Earthsea comes to mind. Probably the only other series that I love as much as Tolkien. Conan is good for action enthusiasts. A Song of Ice and Fire (as irritating as I find it sometimes) is a good modern
series.
6) For the most part. The story deviations make The Hobbit a bit disappointing, but a recent rewatch of LOTR has helped me appreciate them more. The people that make these films love these stories, and I think it shows.
7) LOTR. While I think it has its certain charms, I probably like The Hobbit the least of all of Tolkien's written works. Yes, even less than Farmer Giles.
8) Frodo. His eventual understanding of the necessity of sacrifice is something that moves me deeply. Eowyn is probably the character I relate to the most. Her desire for acceptance is something that resonates strongly with me. Tolkien wasn't a feminist or anything, but she is a great character, probably one of the best he ever wrote.
9) Not really. This is the only (nerdy) interest that I have the passion to want to talk with others about it. I have an abiding interest in video games and a small interest in Game of Thrones/ASOIAF, but I'm not involved in any larger way with them.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Mar 1 2014, 6:56pm

Post #15 of 18 (73 views)
Shortcut
I could have sworn I replied to this... [In reply to] Can't Post

...looks like I didn't hit 'Post Reply'. Oops! Blush

Anyway. Welcome, Spencer, and good luck with your project! I'll try to recreate my answers for you.

(1) 12.

(2) No one. I had heard about them before, but knew very little other than a couple of pictures from the movies I had seen in a magazine. (One of which spoiled me as to Gandalf's return... grrr!) I just decided to read them one day. Best decision ever.

(3) I've always loved the fantasy genre best, and I've been reading since I was a very small child.

(4) The depth of their setting, definitely! Middle-earth is the most comprehensive and coherent created world I've ever seen. It has its geography, history, races, languages, alphabets, customs... I've never seen anything that is its match! It's Tolkien's fault that now, whenever I read a fantasy story, I think to myself, "You know... what would really make this better is if they had delved into the history a bit more... possibly made up a language or two..."

(5) No series that has ever been compared to LOTR deserves the comparison. End of story.

(6) The movies do some justice, but not completely. No movie adaptation can ever really capture a book's essence fully. It speaks for how great LOTR is that even a necessarily flawed movie trilogy can contain so much of its greatness. Plus, the movies inspire more people to read the books, so I'm happy with that.

(7) LOTR. I didn't care about The Hobbit much until the movie happened and suddenly the dwarves had personalities.

(8) In LOTR, my favorites are Eomer and Merry - Eomer for his awesome attitude (book), mad monster slaying skills (book & movie), and the way he's largely ignored (movie) and Merry for his bravery, his smarts (largely omitted from the movie), and level-headedness (compared to Pippin). Merry is what I'd like to be; Eomer is what I admire. As for The Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins speaks to me because he at once wants to go on an adventure and stay home. I also like Fili a lot since I am also the blond, more responsible older sibling in my family. Laugh

(9) I have too many fandoms... Actually, I am most involved in the Tolkien fandom, and for good reason (other than LOTR being my greatest love). It's the sanest. The Sherlockians are nuts. The Whovians are confused. Anime/manga fandoms tend to be rabid shippers. Etc., etc. Meanwhile, Ringers have gained a reputation as one of the oldest, most polite, and most welcoming fandoms. It's a reputation I am very proud of and work hard to help maintain!

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 2 2014, 4:27pm

Post #16 of 18 (55 views)
Shortcut
My answers (now from Lorien!) [In reply to] Can't Post

My sixths grade teacher had read The Hobbit in class and then recommended some of the more advanced readers read The Lord of The Rings on their own.

My fifth grade teacher had read The Lion, The Withch, and The Wardrobe in class and I read the entire Narnia series but that was all (I was only nine). LOTR did spark more interest.

When I read them as a child, those escapism, the creation of an entire world apart from our own, the length, the detail ... all of this appealed to me.
As I grew older, the Good vs. Evil aspect became more anymore intense and appealing for me. They sparked an interest in languages and to this day I partially credit Tolkien with my ability to pick up accents and understand languages. I'm still fascinated with the evolution of English over the centuries.

no.

yes.

I agree with gramma (I think it was her!) who said not fair. I like both the stories in both book and movie form.

I could never choose a favorite today. As a child, Bilbo and Frodo and Gandalf. But as a adult, I relate to all the "good" characters a bit but not a single one completely.

no.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 3 2014, 6:23pm

Post #17 of 18 (46 views)
Shortcut
This a Tough Quiz since Bomby's Whole Life is.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Connected to Tolkien in sooo many ways.
Living in Colorado for over 50 Years
" Mountains, Forests...
Little Streams, High Vistas"!
are Bomby's THING!

The Hobbit? Christmas 1966,
& then it took about five months to read LOTR since
Bomby was playing out it as a movie SCRIPT
in my head...An EPIC FANTASY Film, then...

(Huge interest in
Film even then,..College degree in
Film 5 years later).

Kept Flipping through the Maps
to keep places straight.
Reading the appendices?
... pretty much went over my head.

Oldest brother sent them from NYC
where he was living
He wrote
"these are very popular here"
He Sent all four paperbacks.

Since then, it bloomed,
One of Bomby's Best Friends
and His Brother were both Fans,
...so we had "Hobbit Hooded Habits"
made by Mom

(Role Playing even then?)
& Then painted a 1949 Ford Pick-up Truck he owned
with Smaug on the Drivers Door
& other Cool symbols all over it.

Tooling around Colorado Springs
we were dubbed the First Hippies there.

In Boulder, (68-70) created a "Liquid LightShow"
called "Arkenstone Light"
which performed twice a
Week for Months
at a Pub near the Campus,
Behind Different Rock Bands.

One night @ 13 years old;
stayed up late to watch
Frank Capra's "Lost Horizon" (1937)...
Blew Bomby AWAY!!

Enjoyed the FANTASY idea?
that there is a "Litle GardenSpot"
High the Mountains where
you DON'T grow old?

WHAT an IDEA James Hilton had.
(Still Hope one day they re-make
that Movie the way it should be shown)

Side Note:
Interesting that this Movie version of "Lost Horizon"
came out
when Tolkien's first book was published.
IT...Is somewhat a "Warning & Prelude" to
WW2,
The Hero is wanting to escape the Modern World.

As a Junior Ski Patrol in High School
@ Breckenridge!..
Bomby was always looking for my Shrangi-LA...?

after Reading The Books ...THEN

Much looked like
MiddleEArth?

(Which Bomby Found later?
living in Vail after University....working as a Lift operator, cook,
Cartoonist?
To this day whenever I go to Vail, I tell my local Friends
"Never leave this Valley, You'll grow OLD?...Fast")

The COMPLETENESS of it..
Maps,
Invented Languages,
Genealogies
Alphabets...
Huge Back Histories,

ANYone
can get LOST
Easily in MiddleEarth

NOPE!

Loved each Movie since they
Cut the long explanations..
& Turned them into
AWESOME
Action
Adventures!

(They Don't Yell out..."ACTION" for Nothing?)

AS PJ says "Each Book/Movie has it's Own Personality"
so, That would be like asking
which Child you Love More?

That always varies ..
since Tolkien ALLOWS you
to Bond with each hero.

Nope, First LOVE was Tolkien
Nothing has ever come close..
Since, &
Likely
Never will.

Bomby
An "Early
First Responder to Tolkien".Heart

RangerLady23
Lorien

Mar 3 2014, 9:32pm

Post #18 of 18 (53 views)
Shortcut
Hope I'm not too late toi give input! [In reply to] Can't Post

My answers are:

I was 14 and it was the Lord of the Rings
My mother wanted to see FotR badly and I didn't. Could have cared less. But we rented it and it changed my life!
I was semi into fantasy before but only softcore fantasy like the Harry Potter series. Not epic fantasy like LotR.
I think it is because they are universal. It doesn't matter your age, life story or who you are, it still resonates with all people. Plus they are just bloody good books!
Not that I know of! I may be narrow minded but LotR is tops for series or stand alone.
I do. I think that the movies were done in absolute reverence and respect for Tolkien and I think that any changes that were made were what had to be done and in some ways only made the story better.
The Lord of the Rings, simply because it is fuller, richer and more detailed. The Hobbit is more simple storytelling.
Aragorn is my favorite character and I do relate to him because a lot of people look to me to do the right thing. He is also an outcast that doesn't really fit anywhere and I so totally get that.
I am not currently a member of any other fan communities but I think that Lotr fans are genuine, nice, friendly people unlike other fan worlds and I would enjoy nowhere as much as I do TORn!
Thanks for the question and welcome!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.