Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"Barrels out of Bond".... Appreciation Thread?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 27 2014, 11:36pm

Post #1 of 19 (986 views)
Shortcut
"Barrels out of Bond".... Appreciation Thread? Can't Post

"GoblinTown Chase" Part Two..

someone, sometime, Here, ago
Coined the Phrase

"Thatzz, sooo PJ!".

Soo many
Features to
Freak you
OUT ON?

Make each of US
ROTFLMAO with your postin'

BombyBomburzzBadAssBro

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 27 2014, 11:43pm

Post #2 of 19 (754 views)
Shortcut
I love love love [In reply to] Can't Post

when Tauriel first comes into the frame.

It's such an epic moment with that amazing theme of hers accompanying her entry into this chaotic "fight."

I really do like the Barrels sequence a lot. But I like the first half until the dwarves break out through the gate more than the stuff that ensues in the actual river.

And yes... I did enjoy the Legolas scenes. It's something I completely expected him to do and it's something that isn't going on a tangent of Tolkien's vision of the character (anyone remember Legolas in Caradhras?).

And yes! This whole sequence is SOO PJ!

I wonder how it would've worked as the ending to film 1. I'm happy film 1 ended on the carrock for some reason, it feels slightly more organic than ending on bard's silhouette.

Another tidbit: I cracked on the Bombur barrel scene. The sound work is truly stunning here. You can hear the bones of the orcs crack whenever Bombur lands on them. And did anyone notice how scared sh!t the orcs were in seeing Bombur descend on them? Whoever worked out the physics of that particular sequence (I'll just go out and say it was PJ... It's just such a PJ scene. I can imagine him giggling in excitement in telling Lesnie about this) needs a medal.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

(This post was edited by Annatar598 on Feb 27 2014, 11:49pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 27 2014, 11:52pm

Post #3 of 19 (704 views)
Shortcut
Bomburzz "BOM-BARD-MENT"... Barrelin' Baddies...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 27 2014, 11:54pm

Post #4 of 19 (704 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

There will probably be an extended barrels scene I hope; some themes from the "Forest River" track didn't make it to the final cut. There's one fantastic tune of Thorin's Theme (I guess it's called?) that seems to take place directly before the BOM-BARD-MENT begins.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 28 2014, 12:55am

Post #5 of 19 (728 views)
Shortcut
The first time I watched DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

Was in the biggest screen in Arizona. It was fairly full too the day after the midnight opening. The entire theatre roared with laughter including me. In subsequent viewings you could guess who was seeing DOS for the first time.

I loved it!

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Kim
Valinor

Feb 28 2014, 3:59am

Post #6 of 19 (652 views)
Shortcut
Bones [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't notice the sound of bones cracking, but then, it did take me several viewings to hear the squishy sounds when the giant boulder rolled over the goblins in Goblintown. And the orcs looked scared? I'll need to add that to my list of things to look out for on my next viewing!

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

Kim
Valinor

Feb 28 2014, 4:03am

Post #7 of 19 (667 views)
Shortcut
This was just fun [In reply to] Can't Post

this whole sequence was great, so entertaining and Bombur's barrel ride was a highlight. Every time I watch it, I have a big grin on my face. Cool

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 28 2014, 6:12am

Post #8 of 19 (645 views)
Shortcut
He IZZ..... jus' Throwing his WEIGHT AROUND? [In reply to] Can't Post

A Dwarvish
Whirling
Dervish?

"Bombur, INCOMING?

BOMBS Away...."

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 28 2014, 1:50pm

Post #9 of 19 (616 views)
Shortcut
Balin Barterin' w/ Bard was Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Soaking wet w/ Ken's
Huge Head really made
Balin look VERY Dwarvish.

1. Was that Cool or What?

2. Aaaa.. Complicated question?

When they float into a Series of
Crumbled Pillars in the Fog...
(Similar to Osgiliath?)

Was that a PIER.?. that the ElvenKing had for
loading & unLoading Barrels
from LakeTown?

or was it an
Earlier Version of
Esgorath?

Laketown seemed
Like a SLUM Remant of a
Earlier & larger
Esgorath.

3. Until they are released form the Barrels
in LakeTown "Barrels out of Bond"
is ONE long scene
w/ many Joys!
other than jus' that...

" Bomburzz Bombastic Blitzrkrieg".

What did you think of their 3 way Battle?

Orcs on One side
Elves on the Other
Dwarves in the Middle..!

4.. Legolas's ElvishMagic
Gymnastic Spin Move?

Did that give you Joy or Angst?

5. Cuttin' down the Fallen Tree Bridge w/ relayed Swords?
Amazing Theater GAG! or What?

6. The "Kili takes a Morgul Arrow" moment?

But WAIT!
There is more to "Barrels out of Bond"

7. Viewing the Mountain & Gloin's
Reluctant partin' with his
Coins was a
Cool way to Expand his
Character.

8. Filling the Barrels w/
Fish was
Fascinating.

When Alfrid picks up a
Fish?

The Close-Up of Bilbo's Eye
was Priceless!

Bomby hazQuestions
that Need Answers
from You!

(There is ALWAYS more fromyour BrotherBomby)
Wink

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 28 2014, 4:07pm

Post #10 of 19 (592 views)
Shortcut
The scene I looked forward to the most [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely was the Barrels scene. Yes of course Bombur stole that show, BUT I liked the whole thing, from Bilbo pulling the lever and realizing he was stuck, to the logic of the gate closing, orc attack, elf counter-attack & Kili's "majestic" moment in freeing the other dwarves. (Fili got to be "majestic" later, and that was nice to let him do more than yell "Kili!"). And the camera in the water view was also a nice touch. My ONLY complaint was that it was over too soon.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 28 2014, 5:20pm

Post #11 of 19 (571 views)
Shortcut
I really like the barrels sequence on the whole [In reply to] Can't Post

However, it suffers a major fall for me in the form of Legolas. The last time I saw the film this was the first of the occasions when I had to leave the room to avoid seeing his absurd CGI antics and expressions.Unimpressed

huzzlewhat
The Shire

Feb 28 2014, 10:32pm

Post #12 of 19 (533 views)
Shortcut
Definitely a crowd-pleaser [In reply to] Can't Post

When I saw this the first time, the entire audience was roaring with laughter through the whole thing — and it was definitely delighted laughter, as they applauded when it came to an end. In subsequent viewings, I was delighted to realize how incredibly well-constructed it was… it's great to be able to follow a weapon, for example, as it's passed from one dwarf to another and then used… and to see how the players are moved like chess pieces by PJ — they're always where he left them, and then are given a mechanism (a protruding spear as a lever, in the case of Bombur, dwarf's heads as stepping stones, in the case of Legolas) to get where they need to be next. It's all beautifully choreographed, and for me, who delights in that kind of thing, it was just fun, fun. fun.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2014, 1:30pm

Post #13 of 19 (501 views)
Shortcut
Accurate answers [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Soaking wet w/ Ken's
Huge Head really made
Balin look VERY Dwarvish.

1. Was that Cool or What?

Almost as cool as those puppy-dog eyes he aims at Bard when he tells him they're simple merchants from the Blue Mountains...Wink I loved his bartering...and Dwalin's reaction to it!

In Reply To
2. Aaaa.. Complicated question?

When they float into a Series of
Crumbled Pillars in the Fog...
(Similar to Osgiliath?)

Was that a PIER.?. that the ElvenKing had for
loading & unLoading Barrels
from LakeTown?

or was it an
Earlier Version of
Esgorath?

Laketown seemed
Like a SLUM Remant of a
Earlier & larger
Esgorath.

I think those are definitely ruins from an earlier Esgaroth. My theory is that Esgaroth got as much dragonfire as Dale. I like your idea that this Laketown is a rebuilt, but only at the level of a slum. Frown

In Reply To

5. Cuttin' down the Fallen Tree Bridge w/ relayed Swords?
Amazing Theater GAG! or What?

That was cheesy, but I admit I loved it!

In Reply To
7. Viewing the Mountain & Gloin's
Reluctant partin' with his
Coins was a
Cool way to Expand his
Character.

I agree!Cool

Sorry, Bomby...I can't stay in the same league with your alliteration! Wink

"My chief objection to a quarrel is that it ends a good argument." --G.K. Chesterton

Snowghost77
Lorien

Mar 1 2014, 5:55pm

Post #14 of 19 (507 views)
Shortcut
I totally loved the entire scene as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you think about it, none of PJ's legolas moments of spectacular archery can compare to what tolkien wrote in FOTR. Book legolas shot and killed a fell beast out of the sky in full flight at night from a pretty good distance it seemed. Now that is difficult!
Hitting a moving target with a rifle, where the round travels at speeds up to 1800+ feet per second, while using an optic in day light is difficult enough, try using a bow with the naked eye, in the dark...oh and you'll probably have to hit the beast in the throat, brain, or heart to kill it with one shot, while its probably moving at speeds of around 70mph or greater. Imagine the lead youd have to put on that shot!! Insane!!
If legolas can do that and walk on snow!?!....id say theres not much he cant do in combat.

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty Heroes of SEAL team 6, the PJ's, SOCOM aviation, and all those who fell in the Tangi Valley.
- Task force Warrior will not forget you

(This post was edited by Snowghost77 on Mar 1 2014, 5:56pm)

Thranderz
Rohan

Mar 1 2014, 8:43pm

Post #15 of 19 (484 views)
Shortcut
What I really love [In reply to] Can't Post

about that part is the music. When Tauriel enters it's epic and then Legolas enters seconds later which is another epic entrance. Love it.Cool

I simply walked into Mordor.

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 2 2014, 6:10pm

Post #16 of 19 (434 views)
Shortcut
Bombur's barrel bouncing beginning [In reply to] Can't Post

''I started working on the barrel sequence years and years ago [when it was planned for the first Hobbit movie],'' he said. ''The shot where Bombur bounces down the slope and he's squashing all the orcs, that was originally my idea so I'm always stoked to see that go down well with an audience.'' David Clayton

http://www.smh.com.au/...-20140302-33u1l.html

Now, do we know who did spinning samurai Bombur?

KingTurgon
Rohan

Mar 2 2014, 8:28pm

Post #17 of 19 (425 views)
Shortcut
Wait [In reply to] Can't Post

why are you annoyed by Legolas in Caradhras?

Thranderz
Rohan

Mar 2 2014, 9:02pm

Post #18 of 19 (418 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

he was stating that he liked it. Smile

I simply walked into Mordor.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Mar 2 2014, 9:20pm

Post #19 of 19 (417 views)
Shortcut
Oh [In reply to] Can't Post

Lol, guess I misread it?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.