Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did you cry?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2008, 8:41pm

Post #1 of 42 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Did you cry? Can't Post

We all know how emotional the ending of "The Return of the King" can be, and we all felt that same feeling in our stomachs. So the question is: Did you cry?

I sure did. I'd finished the books, and now I had finished the movies, the story was emotional, and the reality was emotional. I balled my eyes out.

This is a good time to confess a perhaps deep secret everyone. It'll make you feel better. Wink

"Death is just another pathway . . . one which we all must take."

-Gandalf from "The Return of the King"

Zmulady
Rohan

Feb 1 2008, 8:52pm

Post #2 of 42 (817 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

every time I see it!

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2008, 8:58pm

Post #3 of 42 (835 views)
Shortcut
Not then, but earlier [In reply to] Can't Post

Tears sprang into my eyes at Theoden's speech to the Rohirrim as they're lining up for battle.

I often cry at the end of the book, even though I've lost count of how many times I've read it. Same with the BBC Lord of the Rings radio play.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2008, 9:06pm

Post #4 of 42 (806 views)
Shortcut
That too . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Any dramatic scene, such as Theoden's speech, or the ride of the Rohirrim at the end of TTT, gives me tears of excitement. Smile

fuhrfan

Feb 1 2008, 9:22pm

Post #5 of 42 (813 views)
Shortcut
tears [In reply to] Can't Post

There were several parts in the movies and book that brought tears to my eyes.......but the part in the book and movie that always gets me is in the Return of The King. Sam and Frodo are on the slopes of Mt. Doom...and Tolkein descibes them as crawling because they are so beaten down. This really shows how determined Sam and Frodo are, not giving up. Eventually Frodo tires and Sam gives the line.........." I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you and it as well."........gets me every time

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 1 2008, 9:45pm

Post #6 of 42 (793 views)
Shortcut
Of course I did [In reply to] Can't Post

more than once during the last chapters, from Mount Doom to the Grey Havens. And no matter how often I have read the books and watched the movies, the outcome is the same.

I remember seeing RotK for the very first time the day it was released. At the end, when Frodo said Farewell to his friends, I was crying so hard I nearly could not see the credits, and somehow I was very touched by the drawings of the actors as a way to say goodbye, what didn't help at all ...

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 1 2008, 9:57pm

Post #7 of 42 (794 views)
Shortcut
Twice: [In reply to] Can't Post

The Rohirrim charge onto the Pelennor Fields, and at the Grey Havens.

In the book I cried at Gandalf's death in Moria and when the Fellowship remembered him in Lothlorien. Boy was I happy when he returned!!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Tim
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2008, 10:31pm

Post #8 of 42 (785 views)
Shortcut
No I didn't cry [In reply to] Can't Post

I was very sad though.

"Sir are you classified as human?"
"Negative! I am a meat popsicle!"

Windfola
The Shire

Feb 1 2008, 10:38pm

Post #9 of 42 (780 views)
Shortcut
The charge of the Rohirrim [In reply to] Can't Post

didn't make me cry but the scene was so unbelievably good, maybe it's because of Bernard Hill's magnificent battle speech, or the general mood that made me want to jump out of the cinema seat and charge at the screen....

I really cried only twice on my first viewing - "death is juts another path ...." and "you bow to no one"

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Feb 1 2008, 11:34pm

Post #10 of 42 (798 views)
Shortcut
Too much information! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or did you mean to say "I bawled my eyes out"?

I don't want to go to work today,
But the master of the whip says nay, nay, nay.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2008, 11:46pm

Post #11 of 42 (784 views)
Shortcut
{{{{L Ron}}}} [In reply to] Can't Post

you make me laugh. Cool

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2008, 12:21am

Post #12 of 42 (792 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

The first time I'd cried in a movie was in TTT (during the Arwen/Elrond scene, funny enough). ROTK had me bawling. Basically from the beginning of the Mount Doom sequence to when the Ring was destroyed. After that, I dried and got really bored. The Grey Havens just bored the crap out of me. I'm terrible, I know.

ROTK EE, when Eomer finds his sister, also sent me to tears. Missed the whole HoH scene the first time XD

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tim
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2008, 12:40am

Post #13 of 42 (774 views)
Shortcut
L-O-L [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
After that, I dried and got really bored. The Grey Havens just bored the crap out of me. I'm terrible, I know.

"Sir are you classified as human?"
"Negative! I am a meat popsicle!"

Nuradar
Rohan

Feb 2 2008, 1:20am

Post #14 of 42 (764 views)
Shortcut
ok, I shed a few tears [In reply to] Can't Post

Theoden's battle speech and the charge of the Rohirrim on the Pelenor Fields put a lump in my throat. But I fought off the tears until the Coronation scene when Aragorn says to the hobbits, "My friends...you bow to no one." Then, I shed a few. And once more at the Grey Havens. I'm still not completely at peace with why Frodo leaves Middle Earth. But that's a discussion all to itself...

CAhobbit
Rohan

Feb 2 2008, 4:01am

Post #15 of 42 (764 views)
Shortcut
I did.... [In reply to] Can't Post

all 13 times I saw it in the theater and on on the various occasions I watched it at home. I would say the first time I saw it was the most gut wrenching because I knew it was the end of the movie ride (at least as theater releases were concerned). It was an end of a chapter of sorts and thankfully I was able to take in that 'end' with many, respectable and wonderful TORnsibs at that first viewing (it was fitting).

I've also found myself weeping when I finish the final chapter of LOTR as well (all 5 times).

I suppose I'm sappy. But I wouldn't want to change.Cool

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

7ofEowyn
The Shire

Feb 2 2008, 5:32am

Post #16 of 42 (758 views)
Shortcut
We'll of course I cried ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oddly enough it was Boromir's passing that made me cry hardest ... and the only scene that this cold hearted nurse still tears up at. I can feel his ribs moving against the arrows, ack .. I can feel them now just thinking about it.

Well, there's still an occasional tear with Frodo leaving for the West & Sam can't go. "Don't go where I can't follow ... " Arrgh.

Both scenes stick out because they remind me of what the patients under my care feel as they fight against or await their own trip to into the West.

And no ... I am NOT like Ioreth! I know a few nurses like her though!

--- "I can fight" ---

ArathornJax
Lorien

Feb 2 2008, 6:23am

Post #17 of 42 (760 views)
Shortcut
What moved me [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, lets see. In the first movie the scene between Aragorn and Boromir moved me to tear up. Boromir though passing did come of the conqueror and shows that despite our frail natures and the mistakes we make, we can rise above them and still perform with merit. Also, the scene at Frodo at the lake, alone. That scene for me reminds me of two things. One, the deepest fears, challenges and struggles we have in life have to be met at some point, alone. However, it is always good to have a true friend or two to be by your side as you make your journey through life.

In the TTT the moment where Theoden and Gandalf have at Theodred's grave when Theoden says no parent should outlive their child (paraphrased). I guess personally I connected because my paternal grand-parents outlived 2 of their 3 boys (my father being one that passed away at 45), and they stated the same thing to me one time, and tried to communicate to me what a loss that is. I don't think until I became a parent that I understood, or better yet, could grasp their loss.

ROTK moved me deeply. The scene of Pippin singing to Denethor while Faramir is sacrificing himself and his men just moved me. The scene with Pippin and Gandalf about the far shore and this life is not the end, moved me because that scene for me, summarized the trilogy. Life is not easy, not free from evil and bad things. Life is a challenge and the time were given to live in is not for us to choose. The only choice is what we do with that time. But in the end, we move on beyond this vale of tears, beyond the depths of the pits of our own prisons, past the refining heat and fire of Doom, to a far better place, a green country. I think this shows Tolkien's

The next one is the scene between Theoden and Eowyn. I have to admit that I really had to hold back the emotion at that scene. For me, this is what I wanted when I found my father passed away at 17. No one else was home, and I would have loved to have had one last moment. The emotion, the loss, and the grief in that scene is so heartfelt for me.

Also, Theoden touches on something that reached me. In my early forties and halfway done with life, I wonder if I will accomplish something in my life that is lasting, and lets me feel that my life was worthwhile (I am on that journey and am accomplishing things each day, week and month).

Finally of course, is the scene where Frodo says good-bye to Sam. There are relationships in life that are forged in the darkest of times and conditions. Bonds form that are not out of nature, but I would say they show our better nature. The bond between Frodo and Sam is such a bond. I would hope that in our lives, we each find a couple of bonds like Frodo and Sam.

Those are the scenes that moved me and why.

Let us then be up and doing
With a heart for any fate;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labor and to wait.

H.W. Longfellow

(This post was edited by ArathornJax on Feb 2 2008, 6:25am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 2 2008, 6:23am

Post #18 of 42 (748 views)
Shortcut
I just [In reply to] Can't Post

have to say: Your nick utterly rocks! :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 2 2008, 6:52am

Post #19 of 42 (756 views)
Shortcut
Pass the tissues [In reply to] Can't Post

Did I cry? Oh heck, I think I started crying watching Return of the King when Frodo sent Sam away (strangely, I read the book and this didn't happen. I can't understand why the author deviated from the plot of the movie...)
Anyway, that was the beginning of the tissue-fest, and then I pretty much cried right to the end and through the credits. Then I needed a cup of tea and a lie-down to recover. Can I confess: sometimes when I watch the dvd I skip the goodbyes at the Grey Havens because it just makes me too sad.Frown

Aaah, a good cry can be most satisfying.

7ofEowyn
The Shire

Feb 2 2008, 7:00am

Post #20 of 42 (736 views)
Shortcut
Glad you like the nick [In reply to] Can't Post

I almost bust my buttons years back when a friend called me "Seven" whenever he caught me with my long, yaller hair in a bun. He'd topple if I glared at him. Evil

Thanks for the encouragement ... I'm always nervous to jump on the boards. Time is rarely available to me.

--- "I can fight" ---

Sunflower
Valinor

Feb 2 2008, 8:13am

Post #21 of 42 (737 views)
Shortcut
One Ringer.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to nitpick here, but it's "I BAWLED my eyes out".

Surely you don't mean something else? EvilHeart

I see typo a lot in message boards and it's just....what can I say but....LOL

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2008, 10:57am

Post #22 of 42 (725 views)
Shortcut
Just a spelling error . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm aware that it's I BAWLED my eyes out, I just mispelled it at the time.

Kallasilya
The Shire

Feb 2 2008, 11:15am

Post #23 of 42 (735 views)
Shortcut
Do I??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I find it impossible not to cry! But each time round it's something different that gets me. The charge of the Rohirrm - just cos it's SO amazingly well done, Eomer finding Eowyn in the EE, Faramir's line 'as you are robbed of Boromir, I will do what I can in his stead', and also this one look in Elrond's eyes after he says to Arwen 'the life of the Eldar is leaving you'.
But the things that always get me are 'I can't carry it for you...' and 'My friends- you bow to no-one'. Especially as that was the last shot of the four hobbits in principal photography....;(

I think it's a real test of how good a movie is as to if it can make you cry - all my favourite movies do make me cry, but ROTK has to be the most.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 2 2008, 12:49pm

Post #24 of 42 (725 views)
Shortcut
As a book-firster [In reply to] Can't Post

I HATE the scene when Frodo sends Sam away. When the movies were in the theaters, that was my bathroom break Cool. Very interesting - I would love to hear your thoughts on why you found that scene so emotional. For me, it went totally against Frodo's character, but maybe that's because I see the movies through my perspective of the books, and the character of book-Frodo would never have done that. I wish I could see the movies through the eyes of a movie-firster, because obviously your Frodo would be able to send Sam away.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Elven
Valinor

Feb 2 2008, 4:57pm

Post #25 of 42 (754 views)
Shortcut
That is the most gut wrenching scene ... [In reply to] Can't Post

When Eomer finds Eowyn ...
Karl Urban deserves an award for that moment ... Heart
I remember the first time i saw it on the EE's, and I wasn't expecting this scene at all ... and every time after it ... I was just in awe of his acting and how they captured this! ... and cry, you bet! Aw! I cant explain it - Im overwhelmed just thinking about it.

The other scene was when the Rohirrim appear on the hill. As they shout death, and Bernard leads them heroically into what must be the scariest charge Ive ever seen, I jsut felt for them ... such gallantry, bravery, heroic hearts - and Eowyn there as well ... it took me about 3 years to srop tearing up watching these scenes ... the entire Pelannor fields is awesome and very moving.

Kleenex anyone? Wink

The Shire was never the same after
Barbra Cartland moved into Bagshot Row.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.