The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Desolation of Smaug receives eight Saturn nominations

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Feb 26 2014, 8:06am

Post #1 of 4 (379 views)
Shortcut
The Desolation of Smaug receives eight Saturn nominations Can't Post

220px-Saturn_Award The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films has just released the nomination list for the 40th annual installment of the Saturn Awards, and The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug has tied with 'Gravity' for the most nominations. Both received eight.

The gongs that The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug is up for are:

• Best fantasy film
  • Best supporting actor (Benedict Cumberbatch)
  • Best supporting actress (Evangeline Lilly)
  • Best director (Peter Jackson)
  • Best writing (Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson and Guillermo Del Toro)
  • Best production design (Dan Hennah)
  • Best music (Howard Shore)
  • Best make-up (Rick Findlater, Richard Taylor, Peter King)
  • Best special/visual effects (Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and Eric Reynolds)

The Academy was founded in 1972 by noted film historian Dr. Donald A. Reed to honour films often overlooked by mainstream awards.

Over the years, the Academy has expanded its reach to include recognising excellence in television and home entertainment, as well as other genres, including adventure, thriller and action. Robert Holguin, president of the Academy:

"This has been an incredible year for genre entertainment which I affectionately refer to as enhanced or exaggerated reality. The films and shows we honor continue to lead in box-office success showcasing a cadre of great talent helming today’s works of wonder. I'm thrilled to see the organization reach its fourth decade of dedication to the most imaginative creations on the silver screen and fantastic visions on the television screen."

This year’s Saturn Awards will be presented in June in Burbank in California. Read the full list of nominees here.

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 26 2014, 5:07pm

Post #2 of 4 (251 views)
Shortcut
best actor? [In reply to] Can't Post

While I am happy to see DOS in the listing, am appalled that neither RA or MF are in the nominations, especially looking over the actor nominees.Mad

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 26 2014, 6:10pm

Post #3 of 4 (222 views)
Shortcut
Agree with this, Avandel [In reply to] Can't Post

Although perhaps their roles (especially RA's) should have been longer in the film.

I'm quite surprised there is no award for best animated character, i.e. to go to Smaug.

In Reply To
While I am happy to see DOS in the listing, am appalled that neither RA or MF are in the nominations, especially looking over the actor nominees.Mad

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Feb 27 2014, 12:11am

Post #4 of 4 (190 views)
Shortcut
Eight and a half... [In reply to] Can't Post

(...the title of an old Fellini film)

You listed 9 nominations, including Benedict Cumberbatch for Best Supporting Actor, but his nom is actually for "Star Trek: Into Darkness", not The Hobbit.

Evangeline: 3 Best Actress / Best Supporting Actress nominations so far...

In Reply To
  • Best fantasy film
  • Best supporting actor (Benedict Cumberbatch)
  • Best supporting actress (Evangeline Lilly)
  • Best director (Peter Jackson)
  • Best writing (Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson and Guillermo Del Toro)
  • Best production design (Dan Hennah)
  • Best music (Howard Shore)
  • Best make-up (Rick Findlater, Richard Taylor, Peter King)
  • Best special/visual effects (Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and Eric Reynolds)

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.