Draw
View Results (24 votes)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 26 2014, 5:11am

Post #1 of 12 (28040 views)
Shortcut
Eonwe vs Sauron Can't Post

The most powerful of the good Maiar versus the most powerful of the evil Maiar. Manwe and Melkor respectively have each told them to unleash their full power. Who wins?

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Feb 26 2014, 3:33pm

Post #2 of 12 (27885 views)
Shortcut
Eonwe, hands down. [In reply to] Can't Post

In older versions of The Sil, he was a son of Manwe and Varda and also was the one to kill Morgoth once and for all. (Of course, in other versions, it's Turin that gets to do that, but whatever...) I know none of that remains, but I still think that Eonwe wouldn't have too much of a problem handling Sauron.

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Feb 26 2014, 7:58pm

Post #3 of 12 (27849 views)
Shortcut
Eonwe, definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

For their first assault & subsequent victory over Melkor/Morgoth - the Valar sent Tulkas. Now I am not sure, but it seems that with the War of Wrath - Eonwe was in charge with Earendil as his "lieutenant". So I think he would have taken care of Sauron SmileSmile

(This post was edited by ltnjmy on Feb 26 2014, 7:59pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 26 2014, 9:44pm

Post #4 of 12 (27857 views)
Shortcut
Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

Right at the beginning of the fight, Sauron immediately surrenders. Eönwë declares he will take Sauron to Valinor to be judged by the Valar for the Dark Lord's crimes. Sauron humbly agrees and says "After you." When Eönwë turns his back he gets a mace double the size of WiKi's in the back of the head.

Win to Sauron.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 26 2014, 10:18pm

Post #5 of 12 (27849 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

Eonwe is strongest in combat, but I don't think any Maiar can hope too match Sauron's power with sorcery.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 27 2014, 1:42pm

Post #6 of 12 (27824 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'm divided [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone is right about Sauron and treachery, and I agree with you about sorcery. There seems something a little too straight-forward about Eonwe to be able to handle Sauron's duplicity. If it were simple physical combat, sure, Eonwe wins, like Tulkas beating Morgoth. But Sauron actually grew in power over time and became greater and greater (whereas Melkor became progressively weaker), so that's a wrinkle too.

That makes me ask: which Sauron is Eonwe fighting? The Sauron right after the War of Wrath when Morgoth was defeated (easy win to Eonwe), the Sauron who fought the Last Alliance (probable but uncertain win to Eonwe), or the Sauron in the War of the Ring (probable win to Eonwe).

How much restraint is Eonwe showing? If the hosts of the Valar destroyed all of Beleriand in fighting Morgoth, does Eonwe have his hands tied behind his back to avoid wiping out Gondor and Rohan along with Mordor?

I'm over-analyzing this. Eonwe would probably win in any scenario. He may have powers of sorcery we don't know about that would trump Sauron's.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 27 2014, 3:16pm

Post #7 of 12 (27809 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron is at his max power, so I would assume just after he forged the One Ring. Eonwe has been told by Manwe to show no restraint in this situation.

boldog
Rohan

Feb 28 2014, 10:26am

Post #8 of 12 (27844 views)
Shortcut
Well in the end..... [In reply to] Can't Post

....when it comes down to Gods battling it out, it will always be the good to over power the corrupt. Sauron wasnt even the most powerful of Maiar when he was turned to Morgoth, so really he wouldnt be much of a challenge for Eonwe...

KingTurgon
Rohan

Mar 2 2014, 8:35pm

Post #9 of 12 (27944 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he increased in power from his time under Morgoth, and also when he forged the One Ring. If not then yes Eonwe most likely wins this.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Mar 10 2014, 12:40pm

Post #10 of 12 (27748 views)
Shortcut
Should have voted this. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Mar 10 2014, 12:43pm

Post #11 of 12 (27811 views)
Shortcut
Eönwë wins [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron has always sucked in duels and close combat. Finrod came close to beating him, and Lúthien managed it. Don't tell me that the most powerful of the Maiar would fail to do what a half-Maia could do.Tongue

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Mar 10 2014, 12:44pm)

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Mar 14 2014, 1:06pm

Post #12 of 12 (27847 views)
Shortcut
that description of Finrod's combat with Sauron was something [In reply to] Can't Post

I always felt it was some of the most beautiful passages ever written - "Then suddenly there swaying, Felagund sang a song of staying . . . "

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.