Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My name's Arandir. And I'm addicted to Rhosgobel.

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 25 2014, 10:06am

Post #1 of 24 (759 views)
Shortcut
My name's Arandir. And I'm addicted to Rhosgobel. Can't Post

There, I said it. I confess.

The feeling comes from way back before The Hobbit films, as I've always been interested in reading the little information we have about Radagast's abode.

Now, with Peter Jackson's vision, I'm simply in love with the place.

Not just the cluttered interior, with the rays of light peering through the dirty windows; but also its forest surroundings - that part of Mirkwood not yet completely affected by Dol Guldur's sickness.

The vibrant and contrasting colour hues of greens, browns and yellows, blending beautifully with the now-predominant orange and teal palette.

Even the design of Radagast's house is clever - the concept of the tree growing inside and splitting it in half.

The interior reminds me of Hagrid's shack from Harry Potter, yet here it's completely distinct, providing it's own atmosphere and reflection of Radagast's character.

I missed Rhosgobel in The Desolation of Smaug and found it difficult to accept there was such a small scene with it in An Unexpected Journey.

So much so that, that seqeuence with Radagast in Mirkwood has become one of my favourites from Film 1 and I relish every shot and every frame of it.

I'm desparately hoping to revisit it again sometime in There and Back Again.

My name's Arandir. And I'm addicted to Rhosgobel.

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 25 2014, 11:44am

Post #2 of 24 (461 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I rather like it, too – as well as Beorn's house (even though we saw so little of it).

Elarie
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2014, 2:02pm

Post #3 of 24 (421 views)
Shortcut
Rhosgobel is enchanting, [In reply to] Can't Post

and it's wonderful to use the pause button to try and see all the props. Did you notice that his fireplace has no chimney? It's under the sink with a window behind it, so I'm guessing that Gandalf gave him a magic fire that doesn't make smoke.

I do struggle a little bit with one thing - I just want to get in there and clean and clean and clean and re-organize all those shelves. And then scrub that bird poo off of his face. Poor Radagast, it would take him weeks to find all of his stuff again.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 25 2014, 2:14pm

Post #4 of 24 (404 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I do struggle a little bit with one thing - I just want to get in there and clean and clean and clean and re-organize all those shelves. And then scrub that bird poo off of his face. Poor Radagast, it would take him weeks to find all of his stuff again.

Laugh

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 25 2014, 4:05pm

Post #5 of 24 (393 views)
Shortcut
Another interpretation of Rhosgobel [In reply to] Can't Post

The One Ring rpg depicts Rhosgobel a bit differently in the book The Heart of the Wild, as a Woodmen village protected by a tall hedge, with a longhouse in the center that serves as the villagers' Great Hall. Radagast's home is concealed within the compound in a copse of trees. I would include a picture, but I can't find one that I can upload.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Feb 25 2014, 5:13pm

Post #6 of 24 (358 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't Radagast have a little microscope of some sort? [In reply to] Can't Post

I could have sworn I saw one in pictures in one of the WETA books. Ever the naturalist, isn't he? Smile I bet he is Middle-earth's expert as far as biology, botany, and zoology goes. His love of Mirkwood/Greenwood the Great is just strewn all around his house. I'd love to go poking around in there, but I wouldn't move his stuff. If he's got any sort of organized chaos/method to his madness going on there, I wouldn't want to mess it up!

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Starglass
Rivendell

Feb 25 2014, 5:20pm

Post #7 of 24 (367 views)
Shortcut
I like Rhosgobel too [In reply to] Can't Post

I went into the movie not knowing that Radagast was going to show up and having only a vague memory of the book, so he and his forest were a pleasant surprise.
I love all the little critters he has, especially those hedgehogs!!

You know the bird that flies up to Radagast to show him where the spiders came from? Is it just me, or does it look like an American Robin?
(Sorry for not posting a screen cap to show what I mean, I'm new here and didn't want to do it wrong).

(This post was edited by Starglass on Feb 25 2014, 5:21pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 25 2014, 5:30pm

Post #8 of 24 (357 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of Role-playing Games [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like Iron Crown's out-of-print Middle-earth Role Playing game (MERP) might have been the first to depict Rhosgobel as a cottage with a tree growing out of it. The below illustration is by Angus McBride:

I wonder if anyone at WETA is familiar with the game.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 25 2014, 5:32pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 25 2014, 5:45pm

Post #9 of 24 (352 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

It does look like an American Robin, rather than the species found in the UK, which is more dumpy and less elongated (sweeter, I think). They got that wrong…

In Reply To
You know the bird that flies up to Radagast to show him where the spiders came from? Is it just me, or does it look like an American Robin?
(Sorry for not posting a screen cap to show what I mean, I'm new here and didn't want to do it wrong).

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Feb 25 2014, 6:20pm

Post #10 of 24 (346 views)
Shortcut
So true...the wizard [In reply to] Can't Post

seems to just be part of an incredible, beautiful living forest...have to think that some of my ancestors traveled through forests like that...
the bird poop might have had some use in magic!Smile

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Feb 25 2014, 6:43pm

Post #11 of 24 (331 views)
Shortcut
My local pub has a working fireplace directly under the window. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's quite an old building (Victorian) and it's the first time I've come across that design. It took me a while to work out how it's constructed.

In Reply To
and it's wonderful to use the pause button to try and see all the props. Did you notice that his fireplace has no chimney? It's under the sink with a window behind it, so I'm guessing that Gandalf gave him a magic fire that doesn't make smoke.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 25 2014, 8:06pm

Post #12 of 24 (308 views)
Shortcut
Beorn's house too ... [In reply to] Can't Post

there's a similar rustic element in both; and I was also slightly disappointed we got so little of Beorn's dwelling in DoS ... EE perhaps?Laugh

Why we Love 'Sherlock'

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 25 2014, 8:06pm

Post #13 of 24 (308 views)
Shortcut
Fireplace with no chimney? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, I completely missed that ... must find it next time I watch AUJ again - thanks for the heads upWink

Why we Love 'Sherlock'

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 25 2014, 8:08pm

Post #14 of 24 (308 views)
Shortcut
Re: bird [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm that's interesting. I didn't even notice it was a robin actually hehe Laugh

Why we Love 'Sherlock'

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 25 2014, 8:09pm

Post #15 of 24 (298 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the image [In reply to] Can't Post

Who knows? Perhaps someone could have been inspired by it in one way or another. It certainly conveys a similar idea Smile

Why we Love 'Sherlock'

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 25 2014, 8:09pm

Post #16 of 24 (306 views)
Shortcut
I honestly didn't mind [In reply to] Can't Post

the bird poop, either - it's just another characteristic trait of his personality (albeit weird) Laugh

Why we Love 'Sherlock'

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 25 2014, 8:35pm

Post #17 of 24 (289 views)
Shortcut
Rhosgobel [In reply to] Can't Post

There used to be a great idea for Rhosgobel on one of the artworks published for the never realized "The White Council" computer RPG (sigh).

But I do not seem to be able to find it anymore... the other artworks are worth a look, too though. Some interesting ideas for the WC meeting place, Fornost and others.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 25 2014, 9:07pm

Post #18 of 24 (289 views)
Shortcut
shared frustration [In reply to] Can't Post

all these wonderful places and they need to do a leisurely camera tour through all of them - Laketown as well.

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 26 2014, 11:02pm

Post #19 of 24 (223 views)
Shortcut
Didn't that "robin" hover in midair to talk to Radagast? [In reply to] Can't Post

If so, it wasn't really a robin; they can't hover unless there's a strong headwind to keep them in place. I'm pretty sure that only hummingbirds and insects can do that.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 26 2014, 11:15pm

Post #20 of 24 (222 views)
Shortcut
It was based on an American Robin [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think any of the CGI creatures are exactly like the species are in our world. It is not clear what species the thrush is (Mistle or Song Thrush), for example. You are right – most birds cannot hover like hummingbirds.

In Reply To
If so, it wasn't really a robin; they can't hover unless there's a strong headwind to keep them in place. I'm pretty sure that only hummingbirds and insects can do that.

Kim
Valinor

Feb 27 2014, 1:11am

Post #21 of 24 (209 views)
Shortcut
Hi Arandir ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, there's just so much to explore in the house, isn't there? And I agree with some other posters, it's similar to Beorn's house in that there's so much to see and not enough time to see it. Both of those sets are some of my favorite parts about the WETA design books too.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 27 2014, 2:44am

Post #22 of 24 (214 views)
Shortcut
I don't want to get your hopes up [In reply to] Can't Post

...because this is unlikely, but when Gandalf sees the statue and sets of for the High Fells. It's never explained how Radagast ends up there. It's possible (but unlikely) that we could have a scene in the EE of Radagast in Rhosgobel receiving a message to meet in the High Fells. Smile

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Feb 27 2014, 2:45am)

Starglass
Rivendell

Feb 27 2014, 3:18am

Post #23 of 24 (210 views)
Shortcut
That's true [In reply to] Can't Post

It just looks almost identical to an American Robin and each time I wonder why they picked that specific design.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 27 2014, 7:42pm

Post #24 of 24 (187 views)
Shortcut
That's the "rule", but I've seen it broken by determined birds. [In reply to] Can't Post

They can't do it well or for very long, but they can do it long enough to get what they want. Especially if what they want is peanutbutter from a holey log hanging from a tree, but the coolest example was a mockingbird hovering at the porch roof to drink from melting icicles! Nobody here beats the hummingbirds or even kestrels at it, but they do give it an olympic effort.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Feb 27 2014, 7:43pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.