Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
is the hobbit aimed at teenage girls?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 25 2014, 1:13am

Post #26 of 75 (486 views)
Shortcut
TRUE STORY @ the University of Colorado [In reply to] Can't Post

in 1968 Bomby met a guy & hung out with for awhile
until he crossed UP TOO many People that they
walked away
around us?

He insisted everyone call him "Gandalf"
& usually in the same sentence explained
that HIS I.Q. was off the Charts?

An EXPERT @ Everything including...Tolkien?
(so Social Enept that Everyone started to Wonder?)

Yet he was a dismal failure with the girls...

Honestly, Bomby flashed on that guy today
for the First time in 45 years.......

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 25 2014, 1:30am

Post #27 of 75 (474 views)
Shortcut
perhaps you wish to retract this statement then: [In reply to] Can't Post

but the audience is definitely majority young girls

Since that's the comment that got me engaged and the only one I'm replying to. Not the question you posted in your first post. But you can't use a comment like that to support your opinion without being willing to provide the data behind it.

I sought the data. You provided the data (it's your personal observation only). I'm good.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

book Gandalf
Rohan

Feb 25 2014, 1:45am

Post #28 of 75 (449 views)
Shortcut
ok [In reply to] Can't Post

i wasnt actually conversing in absolute truths. what is this anyway a scientific disection of my personal experiences and opinions, get a grip,

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Feb 25 2014, 2:14am)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 25 2014, 1:49am

Post #29 of 75 (460 views)
Shortcut
I'm 100% on your side BG [In reply to] Can't Post

I was reading those statistics thinking "just because it's popular with male audiences doesn't mean that that's who it's marketed toward"

I think the Lord of the Rings franchise failed to attract the young female demographic and so WB have decided to target this audience more specifically in order to broaden their appeal. This wouldn't bother me if marketing included just posters, trailers and merchandise. But unfortunately WB have sunk their claws deeper than that and affected the films themselves, including casting choices and even character arcs.

I'd say it's not good when a studio has so much influence on a project. But if Unwin's editors didn't have their way with Tolkien (asking for another story about hobbits over The Silmarillion) we would never have gotten The Lord of the Rings, so I guess sometimes the big guys are right.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Feb 25 2014, 1:51am)

FrogmortonJustice65
Rivendell

Feb 25 2014, 1:52am

Post #30 of 75 (452 views)
Shortcut
this is silly. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
this is the theory ive come to whilst trying to understand why the hobbit has failed me! ( i am not a teenage girl)

sexy dwarves, a love story, pretty elves, a pretty bard, ed sheeran, girl elf power etc etc

by the hobbit i mean the film of course. you could say the book is aimed more at boys? maybe? at the time?

At the risk of stating the obvious, my first reaction to this post is that you are trolling.

It's more likely some of these additions were made to appeal to casual fans of PJ's LOTR trilogy.

The love story and attractive dwarves were added to give *depth* to a story that lacked female characters, which wasn't really a problem with LOTR. Whether that is a good thing or bad thing is beside the point, but I think it's a stretch to say Warner Bros. and co. were trying to tap into the teenage girl demographic. More like, they were trying to make the Hobbit seem more consistent with the LOTR universe so as to attract a broad audience like LOTR did.

As for Ed Sheeran, idk. I guess you can't get Annie Lennox every time...

I wouldn't waste time posting statistics about the audiences who saw these movies, the initial post in this thread hardly warrants it...

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

demnation
Rohan

Feb 25 2014, 2:05am

Post #31 of 75 (437 views)
Shortcut
Can't believe that [In reply to] Can't Post

A film like ROTK doesn't react 1.1 billion just by drawing in a male audience. LOTR was a "four quadrant" series: male, female, over and under 25. People of all stripes. The Hobbit is meant to be the same. The only difference is is that LOTR already comes built with multiple love stories and at least one female character with a satisfying arc. The Hobbit lacks this, so they just added it.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 25 2014, 2:11am

Post #32 of 75 (428 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, I was tempted to reply to the OP but [In reply to] Can't Post

Stopped.

Too many click-bait and intentionally provocative articles here on TORn. It's no different than that "Desolation of Jackson" piece published on TORn's main page last month. Is TORn becoming IMDB?

These movies have been made to appeal to a wider audience, not just children and little boys. Get over it. They've been "epic sized" and for good reason.

All this DOS hate makes me wonder where all the hate for AUJ has gone. Perhaps TABA will top it all off?

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 25 2014, 2:11am

Post #33 of 75 (413 views)
Shortcut
Always be wary of self-selecting surveys. [In reply to] Can't Post

Their findings aren't as robust as surveys with a proper methodology behind them.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

book Gandalf
Rohan

Feb 25 2014, 2:39am

Post #34 of 75 (408 views)
Shortcut
reply all you like [In reply to] Can't Post

my post isnt click bait, and if people do click on it its means its a valid point.

i think the only thing to get over is that alot of people are disappointed with the overall feel of the films, and there must be reasons for that. part of that may be imo the possible typical teenage girl type demographic for reasons already stated.i asked a question i didnt say it was fact. disagree fine, but dont disregard.

its not about appealing to a wider audience (lotr done that but still kept its cred) but this trilogy definitely has a younger appeal with less mature content. you can definitely say this film isnt aimed for a mature audience, just like the book isnt .

if you think the films are perfect and disagree , i doubt this thread will please you very much.

(This post was edited by book Gandalf on Feb 25 2014, 2:42am)

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 25 2014, 2:49am

Post #35 of 75 (407 views)
Shortcut
I don't think a lot of people are disappointed [In reply to] Can't Post

Both movies are hugely successful.

People considered Man of Steel a very successful movie even though it made half of what AUJ made and suddenly DOS is a disappointment?

I mean, the amount of "let's have an intervention and discuss why we hate these movies" discussions on these boards is staggering. It's like establishing a general notion that these movies are somehow bad even though they're hugely successful and get A grade cinemascores with great ratings on user sites.

And the thing is that there's a group of people out there vocally touting these movies as disasters. And somehow these people are incredibly passionate about ensuring that these movies are considered bad.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

book Gandalf
Rohan

Feb 25 2014, 3:09am

Post #36 of 75 (387 views)
Shortcut
m opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

man of steel is a terrible movie, but successful, i just finished watching thor 2, hugely successful, but again terrible.

bladerunner is one of my favourite films, it tanked at the box office, and was considered a disaster. now its lauded as one of the best films ever made. success doesnt mean a great film. it just means people went to the cinema.

so you do admit a lot of people dont like the movies, if they want to discuss it maybe that says something no?

i dont tout dos as a disaster, but it fails for me in all kind of ways, especially story, and i am wondering if those reasons are becuase of a possible traget audience? no is this allowed?

(This post was edited by book Gandalf on Feb 25 2014, 3:11am)

glor
Rohan

Feb 25 2014, 3:40am

Post #37 of 75 (359 views)
Shortcut
Girl Elf Power? [In reply to] Can't Post

Really? Adding and then maximising in the promotional material a, strong female kick ass character in a fitted costume is a common ploy in cinema yes.

However, it is a ploy aimed at the young male and dad factor demographic aimed at giving eye candy to attract males especially, in films dominated almost entirely by a male cast....like um, The Hobbit.

I like Tauriel myself she is pleasing Tolkienesk. This middle aged female thought that Tauriel would be nothing more than eye candy for the young post WOW generation male.

demnation
Rohan

Feb 25 2014, 3:51am

Post #38 of 75 (326 views)
Shortcut
Sure, but if that's the case [In reply to] Can't Post

then the numbers from IMBD or other places don't have much merit either. Anyway, it's time (for me, at least) to stop playing the stats game. As someone before, this thread doesn't really warrant it. Smile

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

Kilidoescartwheels
Gondor

Feb 25 2014, 4:06am

Post #39 of 75 (332 views)
Shortcut
Well, yes and no [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
this is the theory ive come to whilst trying to understand why the hobbit has failed me! ( i am not a teenage girl)

sexy dwarves, a love story, pretty elves, a pretty bard, ed sheeran, girl elf power etc etc

by the hobbit i mean the film of course. you could say the book is aimed more at boys? maybe? at the time?

I'm not a teenage girl, either, but I really love these movies. Of course, I loved the LOTR movies, along with Harry Potter and Star Wars. I agree with posters who say the Hobbit franchise was attempting to broaden the appeal by including teen girls, but not exclusively teen girls. Phillipa Boyens admitted Tauriel was added to give the story a female character. And yes, Aidan Turner was the least Dwarvish cast member, precisely because they wanted an attractive Dwarf. But 10 out of 13 were hairy old men, so they weren't pushing it too hard, and let's face it, Smaug is the biggest star in DOS. Yes, Benedict has a strong female fan base, but he's also a talented actor and you only heard him anyway.. So I see where you're coming from, you're not wrong, but it's not ONLY teen girls.

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Feb 25 2014, 4:20am

Post #40 of 75 (323 views)
Shortcut
It's not targeted exclusively to teenage girls [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always seen PJ's M-e movies as tentpole--they're big adventure/action movies that are meant to pull in a big crowd of different types of people. Yes, the studios do integrate elements that are meant to appeal to certain demographics, but it's meant to have wide appeal.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Feb 25 2014, 7:07am

Post #41 of 75 (275 views)
Shortcut
Bingo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank god,the users who are trying to turn TORN into Imdb are very few and they will never succeed in doing so no matter how hard they try.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 25 2014, 8:03am

Post #42 of 75 (254 views)
Shortcut
No, no, no!! His name was Bungo!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry couldn't resist.

*wanders off to be silly elsewhere* Laugh

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Feb 25 2014, 8:05am

Post #43 of 75 (254 views)
Shortcut
My name is Frodo and i am the son of Drogo [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

"silly mode continued" Tongue

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 25 2014, 8:18am

Post #44 of 75 (259 views)
Shortcut
There is no eveidence for this. [In reply to] Can't Post

And many people here would probably disagree that these arcs reek of either WB or are marketing towards "teenage girls".

ďAll good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 25 2014, 8:31am

Post #45 of 75 (250 views)
Shortcut
Hm [In reply to] Can't Post

I will try this... I am certainly one who disagrees with you but who does not want to disregard criticism for this or any other movie (and neither for any book).

But you strike me as intelligent and so I am sure you know that some of your statements are stated in a way that certainly will attract opposing views, even if you change your tune a view posts down the road.

My personal experience is that TH attracts a similar demographic as LotR but starts a little earlier with parents taking younger children to see TH - which fits the source material I guess.

As to a certain teenage demographic - I was a male teenager when LotR came out and had a Middl-earth Map poster on my wall. Many female friends back then had Aragorn and Legolas posters on their wall. Now I see this demographic via my cousins and nephews and nieces and they have the posters on their walls again - very similar to "my generation" back then (with the difference that the girls seem far more attracted to the Hunger Games).

I highly doubt the movie itself was targeted at this audience. If so, I guess it failed. Too many people who do not even see Kili/Tauriel as a proper love interest but rather as a way to tell more about the two characters and their repsective races and the issues that come with it, especially in this time in Middle-earth. Just as one example.

Plus, all of this would mean that Jackson and Co followed a plan by WB to target this audience. And I simply do not buy this, since we know many of these changes had been discussed from a fairly early point in production.

ďAll good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 25 2014, 8:32am

Post #46 of 75 (237 views)
Shortcut
Fatty Bolger is my friend [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaugh

Haven't they warned you not to encourage me?? TongueLaugh

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

smtfhw
Lorien

Feb 25 2014, 8:37am

Post #47 of 75 (230 views)
Shortcut
Right... [In reply to] Can't Post

And it is of course both highly possible - and I would say highly likely - that this is because women under 35 are more likely to be online and have both the time and the inclination to respond to such surveys. I'm 55. I spend a lot of time online, but most of my contemporaries rarely do. So frankly the analysis strikes me as flawed in the extreme. Women of my age and similar are not the demographic that indulges in social media, online forums or anything like that in the main, simply because we didn't grow up with it, and we often don't have time.

smtfhw
Lorien

Feb 25 2014, 8:40am

Post #48 of 75 (279 views)
Shortcut
Did I Miss a Memo or Something? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was aimed at me (I'm a 55-year old woman). Oddly enough it seems to have also been aimed at my 79-year old father in law, and a lot of my female and male friends in their 40s and 50s.

Maybe I was mistaken...Evil

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Feb 25 2014, 8:43am

Post #49 of 75 (231 views)
Shortcut
It's ok. [In reply to] Can't Post

This thread greatly deserves it. LaughLaugh

continuing...

Odo Proudfoot is my blood brother

Heart

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 25 2014, 8:53am

Post #50 of 75 (227 views)
Shortcut
Lobelia is my frightful relative [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked

LOL this is certainly more fun Laugh

Cheers!

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.