Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media did you watch last weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Valinor

Feb 25 2014, 7:00am

Post #76 of 107 (203 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to own the Blu-Ray, for sure. I can only imagine how it looked when it first came out (speaking of which, I thought that a theater like the American Cinematheque in LA did screen it in 70mm recently, but I could be wrong there).

Yep, the soundtrack is stuck in my head now. Not that that is a bad thing at all! It's one of my favorites. Smile

smtfhw
Lorien

Feb 25 2014, 8:55am

Post #77 of 107 (204 views)
Shortcut
Only Lovers Left Alive [In reply to] Can't Post

With the fabulous Tilda Swinton, whom I would happily watch read the phone book, John Hurt and Tom Hiddleston. Superb film, beautifully shot - and Jim Jarmusch at his best as a director.

Funniest thing about it though was the two pairs or teenage girls (I'm guessing why they were there) who both lasted around 20 minutes before clearly deciding an art house film about vampires - at least ostensibly about them, but actually about culture, art and civilisation - was not for them. I'd predicted they'd last 10 minutes longer than that Smile. I don't care - I loved it, and it had the most fabulous soundtrack too.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 25 2014, 2:10pm

Post #78 of 107 (192 views)
Shortcut
Of course, you are right. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had forgotten. Yes, the part where Tom makes Thomas ride up front, after saying that he wouldn't even be in the same car if Lord Grantham were there, was perfect.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 25 2014, 2:14pm

Post #79 of 107 (192 views)
Shortcut
Thomas [In reply to] Can't Post

probably only has interaction with Robert as a servant. Robert is not hanging around the servants' hall and seeing Thomas be nasty. He's only ever seen Thomas when he's working and putting his best face on.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 25 2014, 3:37pm

Post #80 of 107 (183 views)
Shortcut
Ohh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really looking forward to this movie, after I've just read about it recently! I'm hoping it comes here! Glad to hear it doesn't disappoint!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

smtfhw
Lorien

Feb 25 2014, 4:17pm

Post #81 of 107 (183 views)
Shortcut
Loved it to bits... [In reply to] Can't Post

It won't be for everyone though. Not that Jarmusch ever is. I reckon it's the best thing he's done since "Dead Man", which I unreservedly love.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Feb 25 2014, 4:41pm

Post #82 of 107 (173 views)
Shortcut
Captain America: The First Avenger. [In reply to] Can't Post

Getting prepared way ahead of time for The Winter Soldier.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Patty
Immortal

Feb 25 2014, 4:42pm

Post #83 of 107 (172 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Carson, and to a much lesser degree Bates, keeps him aware of everything. He knows, for example, that Thomas is gay. He knows that he is not liked downstairs too.

Permanent address: Into the West

Patty
Immortal

Feb 25 2014, 4:51pm

Post #84 of 107 (170 views)
Shortcut
Going to be watching Thor 2 today .... [In reply to] Can't Post

For the fist time. Love the Avengers?

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 25 2014, 4:57pm

Post #85 of 107 (174 views)
Shortcut
but I think he's suspicious [In reply to] Can't Post

he gives Thomas some sideways looks sometimes. I think he knew that Thomas and O'Brien were at the root of most of the trouble among the servants, and while he may be willing to think that Thomas has turned over a new leaf, he doesn't trust him like he does Bates or Carson.

Question: Why didn't someone suggest that Moseley go after the valet job with Tony Gillingham?

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Patty
Immortal

Feb 25 2014, 5:02pm

Post #86 of 107 (166 views)
Shortcut
No!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Then we'd see even less of him, and besides, he is helping to free Mrs. Baxter from Thomas's clutches.

But it is an entirely practical idea though.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 25 2014, 5:35pm

Post #87 of 107 (162 views)
Shortcut
There is a reason, though, really. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thomas just can't STAND the fact that he has to now, in effect, bow and scrape to Branson. He's so jealous--yes, that's what it is, that he'll do whatever he can to make trouble for him.

Obviously Thomas is capable of the finer feelings. But he is just such a twisted person due to how he has been treated ( ” i can tell you there's not many in my life who have been kind to me " ) that he treats everyone with contempt, even when they do try to help him. I expect all his scheming and machinations are his way of protecting himself.

IMHO, of course.

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 25 2014, 8:22pm

Post #88 of 107 (150 views)
Shortcut
true [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to see him begin to figure out that most of his scheming comes back to bite him on the behind eventually. It would be nice if he could have a character arc instead of a flat line.

I also hope that Mary pairs up with Charles Blake because she subconsciously knows he'll challenge her on her elitist views just as Matthew did.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Patty
Immortal

Feb 25 2014, 9:35pm

Post #89 of 107 (146 views)
Shortcut
Ha! If he didn't figure it out when he was on the black market and got gypped so badly… [In reply to] Can't Post

He never will!

No, I think he just keeps trying to protect himself. It's a sad life, really. Even when he was scheming around with O'Brien he was always alone. I like that Fellows has given the actor an opportunity to do some deeply emotional scenes. As when he was crushed when he realized the black-market goods were bad, and also when he realized how O'Brien head completely screwed him. Also the scene when he was deeply conflicted about whether or not to approach Jimmy in his bedroom.

(This post was edited by Patty on Feb 25 2014, 9:39pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2014, 10:39pm

Post #90 of 107 (135 views)
Shortcut
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison [In reply to] Can't Post

I love me some classics!
This classic in particular was from 1957 starring Deborah Kerr and Robert Mitchum about an American soldier and a nun who end up stranded on a Japanese-controlled island during WWII. I hadn't seen it before but my mom recommended it and I really liked it! The relationship between Mr. Allison and the nun (whose name I forget) was really sweet and the ending was nice. I'd watch it again!Smile

I also watched what was left of the Olympics. The closing ceremony IMO was really pretty. I loved the music and the majority of the theatrics. I couldn't believe how realistic the projections on the floor looked and the giant anamatronic animals were incredibly life-like. I'm always a little sad about the flame being blown out, but then a tear slides down the bears face?...I'm sorry...I just can't!Frown *sniff*

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Feb 26 2014, 12:11am

Post #91 of 107 (131 views)
Shortcut
We got it as well [In reply to] Can't Post

...but watching it will have to wait for the weekend. Unsure We haven't seen it yet, either.

In Reply To
Going to be watching Thor 2 today...

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Patty
Immortal

Feb 26 2014, 12:17am

Post #92 of 107 (124 views)
Shortcut
We got Gravity, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

That will have to wait either for tomorrow or the weekend as well. But it will have to be before Sunday when the Oscars are on. I have avoided of discussions with this movie, so I hope to enjoy it.

I have avoided discussions of Thor also. I can't wait. I'm such a Marvel fan.Angelic

Kim
Valinor

Feb 26 2014, 6:23pm

Post #93 of 107 (106 views)
Shortcut
Lincoln [In reply to] Can't Post

This has been sitting on my tv for the last 3+ weeks (since before the Olympics), so I finally put it in last night. I knew going in that it was more of a political piece focusing on the passing of the 13th amendment, but I still found it a little hard to follow in parts, especially when all of the politicians were yelling over each other. And just sorting out who was who was a little tricky, and I spent most of the movie going, "wait, is that James Spader?" (yes, it was). DDL did an excellent job of course. I just would have liked to have seen more of the lead up to that time period.

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 26 2014, 7:38pm

Post #94 of 107 (99 views)
Shortcut
42 [In reply to] Can't Post

'A 2013 biography, docu-drama' of Jackie Robinson, with Chadwich Boseman playing Jackie and Harrison Ford playing Branch Rickey, manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers

This was a masterful, emotional saga. A down and dirty story of the raw strife of the times. Acting was gripping and solid. I highly recommend this film.

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 26 2014, 8:02pm

Post #95 of 107 (106 views)
Shortcut
What, you didn't see it just to watch Lee Pace? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

We saw it in the theater and loved it (hubby's a Civil War buff), then rented the DVD so we could watch it in closed-caption to find out what everyone was saying! Laugh

Loved DDL and Sally Field.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kim
Valinor

Feb 26 2014, 8:34pm

Post #96 of 107 (91 views)
Shortcut
Well, that was certainly a draw, of course ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

although I didn't like his character. Good call on the closed caption, I should have tried that, but I didn't realize it'd be so hard to understand!

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2014, 9:49pm

Post #97 of 107 (78 views)
Shortcut
That's a great one! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I love me some classics!
This classic in particular was from 1957 starring Deborah Kerr and Robert Mitchum about an American soldier and a nun who end up stranded on a Japanese-controlled island during WWII. I hadn't seen it before but my mom recommended it and I really liked it! The relationship between Mr. Allison and the nun (whose name I forget) was really sweet and the ending was nice. I'd watch it again!Smile

Just two simple and likeable characters stuck in a tough situation and making the best of things. I think they could have made more films about those two people; I'd like to watch them some more, and I think there was a lot of mileage left in them. File that under "Lost Opportunities."

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2014, 10:01pm

Post #98 of 107 (85 views)
Shortcut
Lincoln has a personal draw for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Quite a bit of Lincoln was filmed here in Virginia. It just makes me want to burst with pride to see the scenes that were filmed on-location and recognize them as places I've been!Cool I remember the local newspapers were all atwitter while filming was going on and had constant reports of the restaurants and stores where the actors or crew members were spotted. One restaurant even temporarily re-named their menu items after the actors and historical characters. As I recall, Sally Field even said she checked out a store in one of the shopping centers I recognize and got herself lost so she had to call her son and get him to give her directions back to downtown Richmond.

I heard they had temporarily considered filming some of the scenes that were supposed to occur in Virginia in Texas of all places. Don't get me wrong, I like Texas. It's a lovely state, but it doesn't look like Virginia. However, the woman who's job it is to attract filmmakers and the like to our state did a great job of convincing them otherwise and the rest is history! (no pun intended)

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 26 2014, 10:12pm

Post #99 of 107 (76 views)
Shortcut
A favortie of mine... [In reply to] Can't Post

...since I was 6. Glad you enjoyed it!

The nun's name was Sister Angela.

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 26 2014, 10:15pm

Post #100 of 107 (78 views)
Shortcut
Mitchum and Kerr made three more films together. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Sundowners (1960) and The Grass Is Greener (1960) plus a made for TV film, Reunion at Fairborough (1985).

After they met filming Mr. Allison they remained friends for life.

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.