Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Quotable DOS
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Feb 25 2014, 4:33am

Post #1 of 32 (580 views)
Shortcut
Quotable DOS Can't Post

I remember sometime after AUJ there was a post about the different quotes from the film that people would use in real life and now I'm thinking about this for DOS. There certainly are a few good lines --arguably the best is, "If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together," but that doesn't usually lend itself well to everyday situations Wink

So I'm wondering, do you have any lines from DOS that might come up as you go about your day?

keep smiling Smile

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2014, 4:47am

Post #2 of 32 (357 views)
Shortcut
I know there have been a few. [In reply to] Can't Post

The only one from DOS that I can think of at the moment is "I have the only right."

vexx801
Rivendell

Feb 25 2014, 4:56am

Post #3 of 32 (357 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

My Mom tends to quote the majority of the movie to me on a daily basis. Even if it has nothing to do with the context. But she really likes to put on her dragon voice and use Smaug's first line, "Well..."

And does that more than I care to say. But we quote from the Middle Earth movies all the time to each other. We'll be at the store. "So Mom, should we order pizza tonight, or fix something nice for dinner?" She'll ponder for a moment. "Well... what say you?" "I say unto you..."

Yeah.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 25 2014, 8:04am

Post #4 of 32 (315 views)
Shortcut
"You'll need it"..... [In reply to] Can't Post

said in a Gandalf-like fashion.

There are more, but I'm not fully awake yet.....

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Feb 25 2014, 8:13am

Post #5 of 32 (293 views)
Shortcut
Haha. [In reply to] Can't Post

Every time my mother visits me,i cautiously approach her ear,while she is completely unaware and distracted by something else,shouting "Barrels,that is interesting" with the intention to frighten her, and we both end up laughing hardLaugh

kilifili
The Shire

Feb 25 2014, 8:33am

Post #6 of 32 (302 views)
Shortcut
I quote a lot... [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I use a lot of quotes from Hobbit and LOTR in my daily life, somehow automatic already...Tongue
From DOS e.g., "I have the only right", "...or nothing", "Ishkaquil al duruknul" (very powerful as a curse that no one understands!),...
The overall classics, also used as variations, ""One does not simply...", "You shall not pass", "They are taking the Hobbits to Isengard",...
My colleagues are used to it alreadyCool

"Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I am afraid and he gives me courage"

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 25 2014, 8:40am

Post #7 of 32 (297 views)
Shortcut
Um quite a few! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Get your hands off me!"

"If you speak of this to anyone... I'll rip your arms out"

"Da?" (Bain's constant Da-ing cracks me up - Such a cute accent)

"You'll need it"

"Do I have your word?"

"Oh its you!"

There's quite a lot more.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2014, 10:16am

Post #8 of 32 (260 views)
Shortcut
Let me tell you your mom is awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

My brother and I use to do Smaug´s first lines in our Smaug voiceTongue

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

kilifili
The Shire

Feb 25 2014, 1:10pm

Post #9 of 32 (228 views)
Shortcut
your mom... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is great! Smile
Also quite useful: "By my beard,..." Sly

"Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I am afraid and he gives me courage"

Elarie
Gondor

Feb 25 2014, 1:42pm

Post #10 of 32 (229 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why am I here? Smile

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Feb 25 2014, 5:10pm

Post #11 of 32 (199 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did one of those threads and meant to do a DOS one, but it looks like you've beaten me to the punch.
Smaug: "I AM FIRE. I AM DEATH." For any conversation, really. Wink
Sigrid: "Da... why are dwarves coming out of our toilet?" For use when younger relatives clog the toilet and the ensuing mess must be dealt with.
Dwalin: "We haven't got a jiffy." When you have no time. 'Nuff said.
Thorin: "Imrid amrad ursul!" Starting a brush pile to get rid of tree limbs and piles of leaves. ("Die a death of flames!" by the way.)
And more that I cannot think of. Then again, around my family the point isn't always to match the quote to the situation. Sometimes the quote is said for its own sake. See the first one. Cool

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Thranduiliel
Bree

Feb 25 2014, 5:36pm

Post #12 of 32 (213 views)
Shortcut
A few Thranduilisms creeping in [In reply to] Can't Post

"Or something of that ilk" has slipped into my everyday life on occasion. I'm English - I can get away with it without raising too many raised eyebrows or strange looks. Wink

I've also managed to casually insert "I understand that" and "You're right, I would not" quite seamlessly into everyday conversation. A shame I lack Lee Pace's wonderful delivery and awesome crown, but you can't have everything. Blush

I would love to have a reason to shout "Do not speak to me of dragon fiyah!!" - particularly at work, but I've yet to find the appropriate occasion! Staff appraisals are coming up soon though, so there's a chance yet! "I'm sure I can get 'Stay here if you will - and rot!" in - perhaps as one of their annual objectives? Laugh

phij2
Rivendell

Feb 25 2014, 5:44pm

Post #13 of 32 (190 views)
Shortcut
Legolas... [In reply to] Can't Post

" Do not think i won't kill you dwarf. It would be my pleasure!"

probably not one to go round saying to everyone, but one of my normal teases for my little sister. ( I can assure you, she has plenty comebacks)Tongue

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2014, 5:59pm

Post #14 of 32 (181 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"Or something of that ilk" has slipped into my everyday life on occasion. I'm English - I can get away with it without raising too many raised eyebrows or strange looks. Wink

Hehe. Love that one!

I've also managed to casually insert "I understand that" and "You're right, I would not" quite seamlessly into everyday conversation. A shame I lack Lee Pace's wonderful delivery and awesome crown, but you can't have everything. Blush
I do hope you at least attempted that snarky little grin he has when he says that line. Tongue

I would love to have a reason to shout "Do not speak to me of dragon fiyah!!" - particularly at work, but I've yet to find the appropriate occasion! Staff appraisals are coming up soon though, so there's a chance yet! "I'm sure I can get 'Stay here if you will - and rot!" in - perhaps as one of their annual objectives? Laugh
Bwahaha! *chanting* Do it! Do it!Wink

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Feb 25 2014, 6:18pm

Post #15 of 32 (161 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are great! Smile I'm finding Dwalin has contributed a lot of these quotable lines Wink

keep smiling Smile

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Feb 25 2014, 6:21pm

Post #16 of 32 (171 views)
Shortcut
And even more appropriate [In reply to] Can't Post

...if she's shorter than you! Wink
As the youngest in my family, I can appreciate this Smile

keep smiling Smile

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Feb 25 2014, 6:23pm

Post #17 of 32 (164 views)
Shortcut
Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it! Especially if you can get his intonation and mannerisms in...awesome Cool

keep smiling Smile

phij2
Rivendell

Feb 25 2014, 6:23pm

Post #18 of 32 (156 views)
Shortcut
Yes indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

she is smaller than me..but equally she accuses me of being a giant, so we are even!!Wink

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2014, 6:28pm

Post #19 of 32 (179 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I could squeeze some DOS quotes into my everyday life.

"Such is the nature of evil. In time all foul things come forth" is one I enjoy using every time there's a new celebrity or political scandal.

"Come now, don't be shy...step into the light." I'd like to be a teacher someday, so I could use that one when I call a student up to the front of the class. I doubt they'd appreciate it though!Tongue

"That, my lad, was a dragon". Perfect on those occasions when someone hears/feels some sort of rumbling and asks if it was an earthquake.

"If you awaken that beast, you will destroy us all!" [in reference to my sleeping cat]

"I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders" [after biting the head off a gummy bear]Evil

Through the open door
-Switchfoot

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Feb 25 2014, 6:35pm

Post #20 of 32 (163 views)
Shortcut
Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was literally laughing out loud reading these! Perfect lines for each situation Wink

In Reply To
I think I could squeeze some DOS quotes into my everyday life.

"Such is the nature of evil. In time all foul things come forth" is one I enjoy using every time there's a new celebrity or political scandal.

"Come now, don't be shy...step into the light." I'd like to be a teacher someday, so I could use that one when I call a student up to the front of the class. I doubt they'd appreciate it though!Tongue

"That, my lad, was a dragon". Perfect on those occasions when someone hears/feels some sort of rumbling and asks if it was an earthquake.

"If you awaken that beast, you will destroy us all!" [in reference to my sleeping cat]

"I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders" [after biting the head off a gummy bear]Evil

keep smiling Smile

Subaruman
Bree

Feb 25 2014, 6:45pm

Post #21 of 32 (158 views)
Shortcut
"It's undoubtedly a trap." [In reply to] Can't Post

That one always makes a good response to my friends when they quote Star Wars' Admiral Ackbar: "It's a Trap!"

"Here is a book very unsuitable for dramatic or semi-dramatic representation. If that is attempted, it needs more space, a lot of space."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Feb 25 2014, 7:14pm

Post #22 of 32 (150 views)
Shortcut
I AM FIRE! I AM DEATH! [In reply to] Can't Post

I still get shivers thinking of that line.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 25 2014, 7:21pm

Post #23 of 32 (148 views)
Shortcut
"I'm going on an adventure!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Or, "we're going on an adventure!"

As I've mentioned, I recently visited New Zealand with my Kiwi husband and, in anticipation of our upcoming tour of the Hobbiton location as part of the trip, we started saying that phrase even before we left. We now use it regularly. Smile

I love "If you awaken that beast, you will destroy us all!" for our sleeping cat as Eruvandi suggested and I can definitely see using "We don't have a jiffy" often.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Kim
Valinor

Feb 25 2014, 8:05pm

Post #24 of 32 (138 views)
Shortcut
Haha, those are great [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially like the last 2. Laugh

I think the only one I've actually used is when my computer crashed, and as I was thinking of how to describe it someone, the phrase, "it died a death of flames" popped into my head.

I can also see using "it'll only take a jiffy" and "we haven't got a jiffy."

And perhaps "There is no light that can defeat the darkness" as I turn on the lights at home and say "ha, yes there is!" Tongue

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2014, 9:42pm

Post #25 of 32 (105 views)
Shortcut
I now feel the urge to say that one everytime I go somewhere new :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Through the open door
-Switchfoot

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.