Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Eight years?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 25, 4:23am

Views: 139
Shortcut
Eight years? [In reply to] Can't Post

We've been trudging through this for that long - such resiliency rivals that of hobbits! Cool These discussions have certainly had some highlights!

But it's obvious that the Harvard duo started running out of steam as they neared the end of their opus. This chapter for example, although still showing good parodic qualities, does seem somewhat lacking in the creativity of the earlier chapters.

Although the first paragraph does, as Darkstone pointed out, succinctly define the vista near Mordor! "...sudden depressions and swiftly rising gorges" is a masterpiece of a phrase, conveying multiple meanings. And I do thank him for the comparison with West Virginia, that put everything in perspective.

C., D., and E.: nothing quiet about this Gollum, er, Goddam! Those three noises are the standard "giveaway" fare of schlock TV and B-movies, with leaping to one's feet being the typical reaction. Love the "sniffing the ground noisily", this is the "snuffling" of Gollum's in LotR.

F.-G.: Here is where the imagination flags, with the "mother of pearl" etc. phrases. Even the heart-in-mouth joke becomes a stale chestnut.

H.-I. Call Sheriff Taylor, a suspicious character has just wandered into Mayberry. And he's as whiny as Gollum - but he speaks far better, like one used to being a second-rate con man. So that's his game: bore his marks to sleep, then take advantage of them! The bit about the elvish melba toast is particularly intriguing, considering how Gollum choked on the lembas. Is Goddam not yet bored of this Ring?

J. Hm, inserting "Tolkien" in there, nope, just doesn't do it for me...

K. You'd have to have gone through the '50s and '60's for these references to make your eyes cross.
Pop bottles: the advent of recycling.
Iron lung: what a lot of kids ended up in, after getting polio. Not nice.
Ever since my operation I don't get around like I used to: right up there with "I gave at the office".
I had to pawn my coat to buy plasma..: yet more sob stories.
Not wanted. I know. I never was. My mother left me in a twenty-four-hour locker in an enchanted forest when I was two. I was raised by kindly rats.: yeah, this is starting to sound like Rodney Dangerfield.

L. Love the Williams cartoons, I remember those! Everybody knows someone who absolutely needs to show you their vacation pics or who has to gush over their brilliant child's toilet training. Diarrhea of the mouth brought on by existence of a nearby warm body.

M. What a list of cliches! What a boring list of cliches! Which, of couse, suits itself perfectly.
Yes, the cliches have become quite over-used at this point, as I noted above the guys are, like their narcs, running short on fiber, and we do indeed find ourselves starting to become a bit bored of this "Rings".

(p.s. thank you for getting this going again, in between the brilliant essays and discussions this current crowd has been churning out!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Subject User Time
**The unofficial Bored of the Rings discussion** Ch. VIII, pt. 1. - A gray, scaly creature crept slowly up to them on all fours, sniffing the ground noisily. squire Send a private message to squire Feb 17, 4:57pm
    I'm afraid I just don't find this book very funny anymore demnation Send a private message to demnation Feb 18, 4:50am
        spot on. rangerfromthenorth Send a private message to rangerfromthenorth Feb 18, 6:20pm
        The implication being, of course, dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Feb 19, 5:49pm
    "Kind of a Drag" Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Feb 19, 6:12pm
        As a once upon a time WV mountaineer sevilodorf Send a private message to sevilodorf Feb 20, 4:29am
        *pauses in midst of taking a bite of brie and Triscuit* dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Feb 23, 9:41pm
        “Frito as doomed President Kennedy” squire Send a private message to squire Feb 26, 7:41am
        Addendum: Melba = Lemba(s) Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Feb 26, 2:46pm
            Bravo! squire Send a private message to squire Feb 26, 6:35pm
        Cheese and crackers? FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Feb 28, 10:31am
            I don't know squire Send a private message to squire Feb 28, 1:17pm
            I often used the expression when I was a kid. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Feb 28, 5:38pm
                Taking "Cheese and crackers" in vain squire Send a private message to squire Feb 28, 8:34pm
                    Fair enough. FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 1, 11:02am
                        Those mysterious subcultures with their naughty words squire Send a private message to squire Mar 1, 1:27pm
                            I can't claim to have "British eyes" for stuff like this FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 1, 4:43pm
    Take me home, country roads... sador Send a private message to sador Feb 20, 7:09pm
        Thanks... now the song is stuck in my head// sevilodorf Send a private message to sevilodorf Feb 21, 4:35am
    Eight years? dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Feb 25, 4:23am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.