The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
SCOD - Go back into the abyss!

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2014, 3:13am

Post #1 of 14 (649 views)
Shortcut
SCOD - Go back into the abyss! Can't Post

These are the words Gandalf spoke to the Witch King when they met in Minas Tirith.

This is Gandalf the moment they met:

And this is Gandalf a minute before his staff was broken:

1. What do you think of Gandalf's expression on the two pics? What is the difference, the feeling? What changed for him, if anything?

2. Did you like how Ian McKellen conveyed the emotionality of the moment? If not, what would you prefer in terms of acting?

Bonus: What do you think of the resemblance between Gandalf's brooch and the Clef key (namely the G Clef) in music? Would you consider the Ainur music as a possible relevance?

You can find larger images here:
http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk1502.jpg
http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk1510.jpg

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

(This post was edited by simplyaven on Feb 25 2014, 3:19am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 25 2014, 2:10pm

Post #2 of 14 (442 views)
Shortcut
The White Wizard [In reply to] Can't Post

So, here I go...

1. What do you think of Gandalf's expression on the two pics? What is the difference, the feeling? What changed for him, if anything?
He's more determined and calm on the second one. He doesn't fear the Witch-king nor his threats ("Do you not know death when you see it, old man? This is my hour."). He has faced enemies worse than him.

2. Did you like how Ian McKellen conveyed the emotionality of the moment? If not, what would you prefer in terms of acting?
I did. Gandalf's strength and fastness are evident especially in the second sceencap. It's exactly the kind of reaction you'd expect from a White Wizard.

Bonus: What do you think of the resemblance between Gandalf's brooch and the Clef key (namely the G Clef) in music? Would you consider the Ainur music as a possible relevance?
I never noticed the resemblance before! Thanks for pointing it out! It definitely looks a bit like the G-clef, so it's only natural to make a connection to music. The Music of Ainur? Maybe. And even when it is only a coincidence, then it is a nice one. Smile

Very good questions!

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2014, 7:35pm

Post #3 of 14 (417 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for participating, Black Fox. I am always a bit puzzled with this second look of Gandalf... I can't help but wonder what he "saw" then... It looks to me like he is having a vision...

Being a Maia, being sent, being sent back, all these things made me look at his brooch and think "oh, it would be a great sign if he was carrying The Music with him". :)

I believe

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 25 2014, 8:06pm

Post #4 of 14 (414 views)
Shortcut
Vision [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It looks to me like he is having a vision...

Now that you mention it, it really does! Maybe it's the turn of the tide approaching he senses/sees in his mind's eye? Or a vision/memory of the "far green country", eliminating any fear he might have? Hm... What do you think?

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2014, 11:52pm

Post #5 of 14 (390 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I can't really pinpoint it... Sometimes I think he realizes the Witch King will break him right there and he still goes for it... There is a hint of quiet sadness or it's just me. Other times I think the way you do... It's a very interesting face Gandalf has on this pic. It's enigmatic. Of course, in my opinion, the acting is also great and conveys this enigma in a great way.

I believe

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 26 2014, 10:32am

Post #6 of 14 (385 views)
Shortcut
"A hint of quiet sadness" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sometimes I think he realizes the Witch King will break him right there and he still goes for it... There is a hint of quiet sadness or it's just me.

A hint of quiet sadness... Very nicely put. I agree, he's definitely thoughtful. What I was trying to emphasize, was that there is no fear in his eyes - this might be his end, but he's not afraid, at least not for himself, as he knows that death isn't really the end.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 26 2014, 2:11pm

Post #7 of 14 (368 views)
Shortcut
No fear [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, there is no fear!

I believe

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 26 2014, 9:20pm

Post #8 of 14 (367 views)
Shortcut
Another possible vision: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am always a bit puzzled with this second look of Gandalf... I can't help but wonder what he "saw" then... It looks to me like he is having a vision...

Maybe he sees something similar to whatever prompted Glorfindel's prophecy of the end of the Witch King. Could Gandalf be realizing that he won't be the one to slay the Lord of the Nazgul? And that Angmar's end will be something totally unexpected?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 26 2014, 10:15pm

Post #9 of 14 (355 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Maybe he sees something similar to whatever prompted Glorfindel's prophecy of the end of the Witch King. Could Gandalf be realizing that he won't be the one to slay the Lord of the Nazgul? And that Angmar's end will be something totally unexpected?

Never thought about that before. Another entirely plausible interpretation, in my opinion. Smile

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 27 2014, 12:50am

Post #10 of 14 (340 views)
Shortcut
Sad [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks a bit sad to me. That's why I thought he knew at this point he was going to be broken, sort of. Would he be sad knowing another one would kill WiKi? You think so? I don't know. As long as WiKi is killed, I'd expect Gandalf, being the wise he is, to rejoice... But I may have the wrong impression of his look here.

On a second look, he may not be that sad actually... More like focused on something only he sees... So, you may be right.

I believe

(This post was edited by simplyaven on Feb 27 2014, 12:51am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 27 2014, 9:00am

Post #11 of 14 (328 views)
Shortcut
Hm... [In reply to] Can't Post

That "hint of sadness" (I really like how you put that Smile) on his face and him realizing he won't be the one to defeat the Witch-king need not contradict one another. He makes his stand despite the fact that he knows he's unable to kill his opponent - an act, which may, and I'm sure he knows that too, very well result in him being "broken" by the villain, just like you said.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2014, 1:25am

Post #12 of 14 (305 views)
Shortcut
Also true! // [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 6 2014, 4:08pm

Post #13 of 14 (287 views)
Shortcut
"Three hundred lives of men I’ve walked this earth and now I have no time" [In reply to] Can't Post

He's wondering if he has enough time to fight this guy and save Faramir too.

Portraying an ancient semi-angelic being whose also has all the frailties and emotions of a human? Awesome, Sir Ian was awesome.

Wow! This is a wonderful observation! I love the idea that Gandalf would be wearing something that referenced the Music. That makes great sense! Thanks for that :-).

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Mar 13 2014, 8:24pm

Post #14 of 14 (280 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you for sharing your thoughts. It does ring a bell, doesn't it? I'm still wondering and digging in materials if I can possibly dig out something on that suspiciously "musical" brooch. :) Yes, it would be wonderful if symbolically Gandalf carried The Music of the Ainur with him. It would be a beautiful story. :)

I believe

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.