Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Imteresting article and 8 minute gameplay of shadows of mordor!!

flameofudun
Lorien

Jan 23 2014, 10:30pm

Post #1 of 8 (323 views)
Shortcut
Imteresting article and 8 minute gameplay of shadows of mordor!! Can't Post

From ign:

http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/orcs-are-no-longer-the-scariest-thing-in-mordor

The videos in the article. IM SO excited!!!

Let me know your thoughts.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

LordGawain
Rivendell

Jan 24 2014, 12:10am

Post #2 of 8 (193 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems like an incredibly fun game, but it makes very little sense lore-wise. Like they just put a LOTR-filter over it to sell more. But I'll buy it, looks very promising, and I prefer a good game that disrespects the lore over a bad game, like we've been getting for the past 8 years. :)

Half a league, half a league, half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death, rode the six hundred.
'Forward, the Light Brigade! Charge for the guns' he said:
Into the valley of Death rode the six hundred.

Theirs not to make reply, theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death rode the six hundred.

demnation
Rohan

Jan 24 2014, 1:40am

Post #3 of 8 (183 views)
Shortcut
Looks fun. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can forgive slights against the lore if the game is good.

FoFo64
Rivendell

Jan 24 2014, 3:52pm

Post #4 of 8 (148 views)
Shortcut
Seriously? [In reply to] Can't Post

This game is so blasphemous to Tolkien lore and everything he stood for that I can't see how any Tolkien fan can enjoy it from a lore standpoint at all. Yes, it looks like fun, but this has nothing at all to do with Tolkien.

1. How does it make sense for a human to be merged with a Wraith and use wraith powers. They even make him out to almost seems as powerful as some dark lord, being able to control Orcs! A mortal man! That is ridiculous and antithetical to Tolkien. He's pure evil.

2. The very premise of the game is absurd! If it was so easy for this one man to enter Mordor and pose a threat to Sauron and face entire Orc armies singlehandedly then why the hell do we even bother with Frodo to dispose the ring??? This gets me to my last point.

3. Tolkien would NEVER be in support of Revenge being so gratuitously represented in his world! Talion belongs in the realm of Tarantino's revenge fantasy movies not Tolkien. Tolkien has always consistently shown how revenge is not the answer and will lead to your downfall (ie. Thorin)

This game makes no sense...urgh.

'It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing...such a little thing...' Boromir; Fellowship of the Ring Film

(This post was edited by FoFo64 on Jan 24 2014, 3:53pm)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jan 24 2014, 9:41pm

Post #5 of 8 (138 views)
Shortcut
Relax.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not like this game is rewriting Tolkien's books, and that Christopher Tolkien is now putting Talion in LOTR as a new hero. This is simply a game with, I think, an awesome concept, and him being merged with a wraith merely adds to gameplay. How about we see the story play out first and how it happens before spewing all over it? I think it looks great!

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

flameofudun
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 4:41am

Post #6 of 8 (135 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

This game looks amazing. While there are violations to the lore, if a minor story in the universe bends the lore to make a great open world middle earth game then that's fine by me. Can't wait to play it now!

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jan 27 2014, 5:06am

Post #7 of 8 (111 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

All lore can go out the window as long as it's a great LOTR game. Well, maybe not ALL lore (nothing major anyway), but little things like a ranger merging with a wraith hardly ruins it for me. LOTRO for example, with being able to play as a hobbit who leaves the Shire breaks lore, but I could care less since I love hobbits and want to play as one. It's merely for gameplay purposes, and sometimes things have to be sacrificed to aid in this. If you're not a gamer, then you probably wouldn't understand.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 24 2014, 10:23am

Post #8 of 8 (127 views)
Shortcut
Might be a fun game... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... but it is beyond me why one would do something like this with the license.

Why not finally try to do something like the once planned but abandoned "The White Council" RPG? Or simply a game similar to Skyrim in Middle-earth?

Why Mordor of all possible locations?

I just hope it will make money so people might be more inclined to finally give us an open-world RPG set in Middle-earth (especially now that LotRO's quality is falling so quickly).

ďAll good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

(This post was edited by Arannir on Feb 24 2014, 10:25am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.